Ohio woman wins $15M jackpot but will take home just $4.5M after taxes — did she throw money down the drain?

Pack Rat

Imperturbable
BGOL Investor
The winner, identified only as Jeanne, dropped to the floor when she realized she’d won a $15 million jackpot from a $50 scratch-off card
Jeanne had two options for how to claim her enormous prize: she could take an annuity of $600,000 for 25 years (which would total $15 million), or she could take a lump sum of about $7.5 million.

She opted for the $7.5 million cash option, a sum that will actually shrink to around $4.5 million, Moneywise estimates, once she’s paid her federal and state taxes.

That $10.5 million difference between the advertised $15 million prize and her eventual winnings begs the question, did she throw money down the drain by picking the lump sum?
The IRS requires all lottery agencies to withhold 24% of lottery winnings over $5,000 for federal taxes. On Jeanne’s $7.5 million purse, this amounts to tax of $1.8 million.

But as lottery winnings are taxed as ordinary income, a windfall of this size would land Jeanne in the highest federal income tax bracket of 37%, meaning she must progressively pay additional tax until she meets the bracket’s threshold. In the end, her total federal tax bill will land at around $2.73 million.

The Buckeye State also taxes lottery winnings like normal income. Jeanne’s $7.5 million lump sum win would place her firmly in the top state income tax bracket of 3.5% for 2024, which would eat approximately $262,000 from her total.

After all that, Jeanne’s total tax liability related to her win alone comes to about $3 million — meaning she’ll only get to enjoy around $4.5 million from her $50 scratch-off win (which is still a stunning return-on-investment).
If Jeanne took the $600,000 per year for 25 years, she would have received the full $15 million prize, eventually. Instead of feeling immediately wealthy, she would have been comfortably rich for years to come.

When a lottery winner chooses the annuity option, they typically pay taxes based on the annual payment (in this case, $600,000) rather than on the total prize amount.
In terms of federal taxes, she would owe around $180,000 on her winnings in 2024, and in state taxes, she would owe about $20,000. But these figures may have changed over the duration of the 25-year annuity if the federal income tax brackets are adjusted or the Ohio Republican bill passes. This also assumes Jeanne doesn’t reduce her tax liability through various clever strategies and with help from a financial adviser.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Depends on how old she is and what she plans to do with the money.

Also, they do the math on the $600k annuity and say she would have gotten the full $15 mill in 25 Years
.... but then just tell us about the tax implications without subtracting them like they did with the lump sum calculation :confused:

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
you take the annuity...

that chick like most lottery winners will be broke in 5 years

$600 k for 25 years would set her family up forever

Lottery winnings cannot be passed down or left to next of kin..... if she dies at any point within the 25 years the lottery keeps the money......

That's a hell of a gamble......

That $15 mil pre-tax, if things stayed the same tax wise for 25 years..... she's still handing over 1/3rd so $4.5 million today or eventually get to $10 million if you stay alive for 25 years......

And who's to say inflation and new legislation wouldn't further decrease its value in 25 years...

Anything over $10 mill...... take the lump sum. Get a financial advisor and you can it better than those annuities

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor

Also, they do the math on the $600k annuity and say she would have gotten the full $15 mill in 25 Years
.... but then just tell us about the tax implications without subtracting them like they did with the lump sum calculation :confused:
Listen, if something happened to you, the money will still go into a trust. You just have to have everything set up for it. People your money will not stop if you die. It will still go into a trust you could put that trust in one or a few people name.

Pack Rat

Imperturbable
BGOL Investor
Lottery Annuity After Death. If a lottery winner who has opted for an annuity payout passes away, the remaining payments typically go to their estate and subsequently to any heirs or beneficiaries. This process is governed by the annuity contract's specific terms and any legal will the deceased person has left.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
I keep telling you guys do the yearly payments and your taxes will be a lot cheaper. Remember if you take the full lump sum you have to pay a penalty on top of taxes.
Inflation is not factored in over the 25 years plus it will be simpler for her to put 3 million into an ETF averaging about 10-12% annually. You can also invest in stocks that pay dividends.Btw she needs a professional financial advisor.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
Inflation is not factored in over the 25 years plus it will be simpler for her to put 3 million into an ETF averaging about 10-12% annually. You can also invest in stocks that pay dividends.Btw she needs a professional financial advisor.

This is why I said most of these people should take the annual payments

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was thinking the same thing, but yeah she needed a financial advisor asap. She also
Needs a good ass CPA or tax attorney

Princenubian

Rising Star
Registered

I peeped that too….acting like Uncle Sam ain’t gonna do his shakedown if you take the 25.

However, he does say if you take the 25, you pay 180K on each 600K or 4.5 milly. Big difference if true.

The way inflation is going…..after 10 yrs that 600K’s value gone be declining fast.

Oh…….And….l…fuque my estate

Carry on…….

Last edited:

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
Lottery winnings cannot be passed down or left to next of kin.
Completely untrue.

Lottery Annuity After Death. If a lottery winner who has opted for an annuity payout passes away, the remaining payments typically go to their estate and subsequently to any heirs or beneficiaries. This process is governed by the annuity contract's specific terms and any legal will the deceased person has left.Mar 5, 2024

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
I have a unique perspective regarding this calculation that is a trade secret. It looks like the annuity is giving her 6%.

This is what I need so I can get into gated community or isolated compound in another country, hire security, let somebody else go into stores shopping for me. Today it was crazy as fuck shopping at Costco or any other store.

I think somebody is setting me up to die, imagine taking somebody like Biden and making him accessible to everybody, he would not last a day.

Last edited:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
It's all money you didn't have in your pocket before you won. Take the lump sum.
That's how I look at it too. Who the fuck gonna complain about being given 4.5 million?

37V5dB.jpg

fu2

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's all money you didn't have in your pocket before you won. Take the lump sum.

You only owe yourself 2 things. Do the math, and have an plan. It's not like you haven't just bought yourself some valuable time. That's how I see it.

But relative to the amount in question. If I was to take the lump sum, that would be a little over 5 years of the annuity amount, so I could see just doing the annuity. By the time you hit that 5th year, hopefully whatever plan you may have should be well under progress. It ain't job quiting money, but a hell of a quality of life upgrade.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Listen, if something happened to you, the money will still go into a trust. You just have to have everything set up for it. People your money will not stop if you die. It will still go into a trust you could put that trust in one or a few people name.

Completely untrue.

Lottery Annuity After Death. If a lottery winner who has opted for an annuity payout passes away, the remaining payments typically go to their estate and subsequently to any heirs or beneficiaries. This process is governed by the annuity contract's specific terms and any legal will the deceased person has left.Mar 5, 2024

While both of these is accurate, how many people actually establish a trust when claiming the money? And how many people actually set up an estate with a living will?

Most people don't do that because most people don't know those things.......

But as someone else stated, put 2/3 of the money in a high performance etf/ Ira/ 401k account it'll be better than taking the annuity....

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
While both of these is accurate, how many people actually establish a trust when claiming the money? And how many people actually set up an estate with a living will?

Most people don't do that because most people don't know those things.......

But as someone else stated, put 2/3 of the money in a high performance etf/ Ira/ 401k account it'll be better than taking the annuity....
They dont need a trust. It goes to their estate. Their estate is assumed. If they have no will then their family will fight over it.

IMO annuities give the winner the opportunity to adjust to having riches. A couple of years worth of fucking off money will take the allure off of it. Eventually you'll get used to spending and saving properly.

I ain't never won the lottery, but I AM speaking from experience.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They dont need a trust. It goes to their estate. Their estate is assumed. If they have no will then their family will fight over it.

IMO annuities give the winner the opportunity to adjust to having riches. A couple of years worth of fucking off money will take the allure off of it. Eventually you'll get used to spending and saving properly.

I ain't never won the lottery, but I AM speaking from experience.

An estate has to be set up, when my grandmother passed the family had to pay an attorney to set that up and that was simple only because her 2 daughters agreed on things......

If a person dies without an estate already established....... that could be a nightmare to try to establish..... I say all that to just say, it's not a simple cut and dry, the money will simply be passed down. It won't if things are not already set up in place and family members aren'ton the same page. It could be a very contentious and drawn out process.

I've got a coworker going through something similar with an estate established years before death regarding money/ property not earned or technically owed to any of the parties involved

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nah I wouldve taken the over time payments, for a five years,

you'd be surprised how many buyers there are for long term lottery

payments...

then sell the ten milly balance of future earnings for seven to nine million today...

get a couple more milly out the deal.... could do a lot with a few more milly..

instead of being left with four point five milly.. she could have anywhere from seven to nine milly,

and thats AFTER living off six hundred geez for five years..

Of course she has to demand the payment in privacy crypto, and then move the money around crooked banks.. but thats

another story for another time..

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
I see both arguments.

The annuity payments seem most logical especially since it gives you time to figure out how to handle that kind of money when you're not used to it as well as the obvious tax benefits.

However, I wouldn't be confident with that money being available in 15,20,25 years and could easily see a situation where they say they don't have the money to pay out any longer in a few years leaving you stuck.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
Registered
you take the annuity...

that chick like most lottery winners will be broke in 5 years

$600 k for 25 years would set her family up forever
It can’t be willed or passed on once or if the person dies. So one should always take the money up front no matter the taxes. It ain’t the taxes that causes the person to go broke…

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Always take the lump sum.

Yes, taxes will kill you, but get all that money now.

With 4.5 Million, that’s a lot of cash to get your hands onto at one time.

Take $500k of it and properly invest it and you will be set for life/retirement.

The rest pay off bills, purchase a nice modest ranch home and retire.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Lottery winnings cannot be passed down or left to next of kin..... if she dies at any point within the 25 years the lottery keeps the money......

Lottery winnings can be inherited.

But you gotta have a seal right will for it too happen.

SWATLANTA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That $15 mil pre-tax, if things stayed the same tax wise for 25 years..... she's still handing over 1/3rd so $4.5 million today or eventually get to $10 million if you stay alive for 25 years......

And who's to say inflation and new legislation wouldn't further decrease its value in 25 years...

Anything over $10 mill...... take the lump sum. Get a financial advisor and you can it better than those annuities
Annuities can be inherited

THREAD_CRITIC

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
However, I wouldn't be confident with that money being available in 15,20,25 years and could easily see a situation where they say they don't have the money to pay out any longer in a few years leaving you stuck.

That would be my biggest issue. Some bullshit like lotto goes bankrupt, some scandal or Some Uber conservative governor and state government(Florida) deems the lotto illegal….fuck that give me my money upfront