Ohio woman wins $15M jackpot but will take home just $4.5M after taxes — did she throw money down the drain?

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
IMO annuities give the winner the opportunity to adjust to having riches. A couple of years worth of fucking off money will take the allure off of it. Eventually you'll get used to spending and saving properly.

..this is a good point that I hadn't considered. Not all folks have the same behavior with money, so I can see the positives of a slow release via the annuity.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
you take the annuity...

that chick like most lottery winners will be broke in 5 years

$600 k for 25 years would set her family up forever
Greed :itsawrap:
Time value of money
:cheers::cheers::cheers:
Lottery Annuity After Death. If a lottery winner who has opted for an annuity payout passes away, the remaining payments typically go to their estate and subsequently to any heirs or beneficiaries. This process is governed by the annuity contract's specific terms and any legal will the deceased person has left.
For the life of me I don't know why people still don't have a will and a living will, it's not just for rich people
I see both arguments.

The annuity payments seem most logical especially since it gives you time to figure out how to handle that kind of money when you're not used to it as well as the obvious tax benefits.

However, I wouldn't be confident with that money being available in 15,20,25 years and could easily see a situation where they say they don't have the money to pay out any longer in a few years leaving you stuck.
Can't let the money change you as hard as it's sounds to do. First and foremost don't quit your job and keep your mouth shut. You would be surprised the number of lottery winners that are out here still living a normal life with millions in the bank and ain't showing shit, my grandparents were notorious for doing this and I lived with them till I join the Navy after high school. Second get a LAWYER can't state that fact any clearer. Third pay off your debt and don't go spending money like your a entertainer or athlete cause you aren't.

kidmegaii

Medium well
BGOL Investor
They dont need a trust. It goes to their estate. Their estate is assumed. If they have no will then their family will fight over it.

IMO annuities give the winner the opportunity to adjust to having riches. A couple of years worth of fucking off money will take the allure off of it. Eventually you'll get used to spending and saving properly.

I ain't never won the lottery, but I AM speaking from experience.
Either you wait for the state to give you the money or you setup something with lawyers to give you the money. An annuity is always the logical and safest conclusion.

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
It's not that clear cut. Annuity or lump sum you're still paying taxes. $600K in 10 or 20 years is less money than the lump some today. If you're bad with money take the annuity. But the lump sum today is the better pay out.

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
you take the annuity...

that chick like most lottery winners will be broke in 5 years

$600 k for 25 years would set her family up forever

Lottery winnings cannot be passed down or left to next of kin..... if she dies at any point within the 25 years the lottery keeps the money......

That's a hell of a gamble......

That $15 mil pre-tax, if things stayed the same tax wise for 25 years..... she's still handing over 1/3rd so $4.5 million today or eventually get to $10 million if you stay alive for 25 years......

And who's to say inflation and new legislation wouldn't further decrease its value in 25 years...

Anything over $10 mill...... take the lump sum. Get a financial advisor and you can it better than those annuities

These two points are viable and exactly why you would hire a money dealer and quick.

i had a guy at my work tell me this about taking the annuity and he said he simply kept working after he won the lottery and invested all of his winnings into mutual funds and life insurance policies for EACH of his five kids. I said wait, they all have the money that you won and he said yes, every year for 5 years. And then after those 5 years, he started spending the access money he had while still investing the rest. That was 20 years.

This old dude driving a 5.7 Charger to work everyday, hardly wears any jewelry, rotates the same shirt and ties bi-weekly and brings his own lunch. I had NO idea.

oNE

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If I'm 60 + give me my money now but if I'm younger give me all of my money and I'mma try to stay alive to collect it.

Because we all know most will fuck it up the first few years and that's ok but you have more coming to learn how to put it in investments that will give you something to build up off of for future generations.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
These two points are viable and exactly why you would hire a money dealer and quick.

i had a guy at my work tell me this about taking the annuity and he said he simply kept working after he won the lottery and invested all of his winnings into mutual funds and life insurance policies for EACH of his five kids. I said wait, they all have the money that you won and he said yes, every year for 5 years. And then after those 5 years, he started spending the access money he had while still investing the rest. That was 20 years.

This old dude driving a 5.7 Charger to work everyday, hardly wears any jewelry, rotates the same shirt and ties bi-weekly and brings his own lunch. I had NO idea.

oNE
giphy.gif

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Lottery winnings cannot be passed down or left to next of kin..... if she dies at any point within the 25 years the lottery keeps the money......

That $15 mil pre-tax, if things stayed the same tax wise for 25 years..... she's still handing over 1/3rd so $4.5 million today or eventually get to $10 million if you stay alive for 25 years......

And who's to say inflation and new legislation wouldn't further decrease its value in 25 years...

Anything over $10 mill...... take the lump sum. Get a financial advisor and you can it better than those annuities
Yep and what if she dies..take the cash. But why is she taxed twice? She won 15 mill taxed to 7.5 then taxed again to 4.5. How SWAY?

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Depends on how old she is and what she plans to do with the money.

Also, they do the math on the $600k annuity and say she would have gotten the full $15 mill in 25 Years
.... but then just tell us about the tax implications without subtracting them like they did with the lump sum calculation :confused:
if everything was static she would pay 5million over the twenty years
i i personally could do well off the annuity

ldub1978

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

If you that worried about the family then take out a bigger life insurance on yourself. That's what the whites do.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you that worried about the family then take out a bigger life insurance on yourself. That's what the whites do.

My point was moreso the way most people operate, IF they took the annuity they may not be able to realize the full value of the payout......

With that said, I'd take the lump sum for anything over $10 mil..... for anything less I can take the annuities and still pass off as regular me.....haha

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
14 million over 30 years is clearly better than 4 million now.
She will not be receiving $15,000,000 over 25 years. She still has to pay taxes on the money. 600,000 a year will probably be taxed at 33%. Which would mean she would receive about $400,000 a year which equals $10 million over the course of 25 years. This is where the math comes in handy. If you take $3.5 million out of the 4.5 million that she will walk away with from the lump sum payout and put it into an ETF fund with an annual return rate of 10% over 25 years, you would have $34,421,000. Even if she only received a 5% return annually on a 25-year investment, you would still be looking at about $8 million.

To be honest, she could put $4 million of the 4.5 million that she will receive into a six-month CD, take a financial education course, meet with multiple financial advisors, pay herself $10,000 a month for the next six months, and still have $440,000 after the course is over to be able to make a better financial decision with her money.

This is where people like Warren Buffett truly understands compound interest. Too bad it took me until I reach my 40s to understand this.

You can do the numbers for on this site.

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
She will not be receiving $15,000,000 over 25 years. She still has to pay taxes on the money. 600,000 a year will probably be taxed at 33%. Which would mean she would receive about $400,000 a year which equals $10 million over the course of 25 years. This is where the math comes in handy. If you take $3.5 million out of the 4.5 million that she will walk away with from the lump sum payout and put it into an ETF fund with an annual return rate of 10% over 25 years, you would have $34,421,000. Even if she only received a 5% return annually on a 25-year investment, you would still be looking at about $8 million.

To be honest, she could put $4 million of the 4.5 million that she will receive into a six-month CD, take a financial education course, meet with multiple financial advisors, pay herself $10,000 a month for the next six months, and still have $440,000 after the course is over to be able to make a better financial decision with her money.

This is where people like Warren Buffett truly understands compound interest. Too bad it took me until I reach my 40s to understand this.

You can do the numbers for on this site.

i used that calculator in my previous post.

she would be taxed at 25% each year in my state, with a 5% increase each year.

she would get closer to 14 million.

its certainly better than 4 million.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
she would get closer to 14 million.
She only won $15 million; the federal income tax rate is 24%. That will leave her with $11.4 million before any other fees over the next 25 years, not counting inflation. The 4.5 million is a better deal if you are capable of managing your funds. If the person is in a state that doesn’t have a state income tax, then she’s probably going to walk away with $5 million or more.

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
This thread pops up at least twice a year now and the answer us ALWAYS the same....

Take the payout and consider yourself winning at life. You don't know what tomorrow holds. Fuck those 25 years of payments.

You invested $50 and walked away with 4.5 million = winning
The other 10 million were mythological dollars that only an true American capitalist would lose sleep over.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
$50 for $4.5 mil.........thats a lick.
if she only knew how to daytrade.........

had she lived in Texas,....she would have walked away with 11 million.......no state taxes...

Last edited:

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
While both of these is accurate, how many people actually establish a trust when claiming the money? And how many people actually set up an estate with a living will?

Most people don't do that because most people don't know those things.......

But as someone else stated, put 2/3 of the money in a high performance etf/ Ira/ 401k account it'll be better than taking the annuity....
Is should be common knowledge to seek an accountant before claiming the money. They even tell you to do so on the lottery website

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Greed :itsawrap:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

For the life of me I don't know why people still don't have a will and a living will, it's not just for rich people

Can't let the money change you as hard as it's sounds to do. First and foremost don't quit your job and keep your mouth shut. You would be surprised the number of lottery winners that are out here still living a normal life with millions in the bank and ain't showing shit, my grandparents were notorious for doing this and I lived with them till I join the Navy after high school. Second get a LAWYER can't state that fact any clearer. Third pay off your debt and don't go spending money like your an entertainer or athlete cause you aren't.
Continue to work? Why would I do that?

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So it sounds like after taxes, it's:

$4.5 mill cash up front

vs

$10 mill in 25 years
(600K - 180k Fed/20k State = 400K per year x 25 years)

...I'm fine with the up front decision and being able to allocate the money today.
You cool with losing 5 million?

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
She only won $15 million; the federal income tax rate is 24%. That will leave her with $11.4 million before any other fees over the next 25 years, not counting inflation. The 4.5 million is a better deal if you are capable of managing your funds. If the person is in a state that doesn’t have a state income tax, then she’s probably going to walk away with $5 million or more.
You're not adding in 5% increase in pay per year.

And again even if it was 11 million, that is 7 million more dollars than the lump sum.

There is not a situation in any reality where 4 million is better than 11 million.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You're not adding in 5% increase in pay per year.

And again even if it was 11 million, that is 7 million more dollars than the lump sum.

There is not a situation in any reality where 4 million is better than 11 million.
Only people who have had that kind of money and have experience with growing that kind of money should ever think about a lump some.

everyone else should take the annuity. Once you get the money, giving up 10 million will seem like a lot