World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Willie Mays Dating Marguerite Wendell - Jet Magazine, August 28, 1955

3727848778_46f8204946_c.jpg

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

1946 Chattanooga Choo-Choos (of the Negro Leagues) Earliest Known Willie Mays team photo​

Long before he would become the Giants' Say Hey Kid, future Hall of Famer Willie Mays played with the Chatanooga Choo-Choos in 1946 briefly before he joined the Negro League Black Barons. Offered is Willie Mays' earliest known photo with an organized team in existence. Posing with the team he played with immediately after graduating high school, Mays is shown kneeling in the front row (middle) with his glove resting on his knee. 8x10" photo is impeccable and exhibits outstanding contrast, with stamp on the back, "Ernest C. Withers - Memphis." EX-MT condition.

MEU5S8W_o.jpg

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
RIP :(

There a lot of people dying lately. I was looking at some news out of North Georgia and I came across the obituary portion and my fucking God. But at the end of the day, when is your time it’s your time Rest in peace everyone

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
RIP to the greatest all-around player in Major League Baseball history. The greatest outfield defender of all time, a 24-time All-Star, a literal coach on the field, and the greatest home run hitter of all time. He "only" had 660 home runs in his career, but he missed nearly two complete years of his career (in his early 20s) to military service. Most of all, he spent more than half of his career playing in the worst baseball stadium ever built, especially for hitters - the original, pre-remodeled Candlestick Park. The Candlestick Park that Willie Mays played in was not the fully-enclosed stadium that Barry Bonds had the advantage of playing in or the hitter-friendly AT&T Park that he hit in later, but the cold, miserable wind-tunnel that the original ballpark was. It had no outfield seating, so there was nothing to block the 30-40 mph wind gusts blowing in from the San Francisco Bay every night. Just playing in that ballpark alone cost him, at minimum, 150-200 home runs over the course of his career.

Candlestick-Mays1965.jpg

The original Candlestick Park
Henry Aaron, as great as he was, spent his entire career hitting in two of the most home run friendly ballparks of all time, Milwaukee County Stadium and Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, aka "The Launching Pad." Put Willie Mays in any other normal ballpark and he ends his career with at least 850 home runs. With all of the constant talk of GOATs, Willie Mays actually was.

The greatest catch I've ever seen.

A great early 1960s documentary called
"A Man Named Mays"

Last edited: