Racism & Sports Talk: WFAN - These New Yorkers Actually Like Trump

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
In the spring of 2016, the surprising presidential candidacy of Donald J. Trump seemed to be all anybody could talk about. On New York radio stations, much of that talk was decidedly negative. But suddenly, one voice, from an unexpected source, began an eager and aggressive defense of the eventual Republican nominee. WFAN’s Mike Francesa, known as “the pope” of New York sports talk radio, began spending hours on air explaining not only why Mr. Trump was not a racist and sexist, but also why he could win.

Mr. Francesa’s pugnacious and prescient political arguments with outraged callers, as well as the thank yous from those in agreement, became such a dominant feature of his 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. show that his producers asked him to get back to sports. But there was no boycott, nor any significant decrease in his ratings. Rather, it seemed there was an audience for a pro-Trump message, which at the time was available from very few outlets in the New York metropolitan area, even those on the right.

That this tolerance of pro-Trump views came from listeners of a sports radio station raises some interesting questions. Are sports fans more conservative than other New Yorkers? Is WFAN actively pushing a conservative political agenda? And finally, is it possible that New York City is not the hotbed of fragile blue flowers that conservatives elsewhere believe it to be?

According to research, sports fans in general skew somewhat right, but not by much. The vast majority of WFAN’s listeners and callers are, however, men, a key voting group for Mr. Trump. But by digging deeper into the demographics of New York radio ratings, an important fact emerges. WFAN does much better with 35- to 55-year-olds than it does with 18- to 35-year-olds. Older listeners mean two things: They are more conservative and have more spending power. They are also more likely parents, mostly fathers, and more likely to have jobs.

But even if WFAN’s listeners are more conservative than the average New Yorker, is there any evidence that the station is actively courting people on the right? In fact, there is. The most popular WFAN show after Mr. Francesa’s is the morning program hosted by Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton. The show regularly partners with law enforcement to promote charities, and Mr. Esiason got in hot water last year for criticizing the San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s protests during the national anthem before N.F.L. games.

More obviously, a regular guest host during Mr. Esiason’s frequent absences is the early Trump supporter Chris Christie, the New Jersey governor whose term, and possibly political career, ends in January. The station has also confirmed that Mr. Christie is being considered as a successor to Mr. Francesa, who is retiring this year. Mr. Christie is actually quite entertaining and knowledgeable in his guest appearances. But it strains credulity to imagine the station is not taking his Trump-boostering, right-of-center street cred into account in considering him for its top job.

WFAN’s conservative bent may also tell us something about the city whose sports fans it serves. New York City has never been as liberal as the popular imagination has it. There is a reason no Democrat won the mayoralty from 1993 to 2013. But New York’s conservatism is not that of Rush Limbaugh — it is Francesian. It’s guys who drive trucks and install air-conditioners saying, “Why can’t I have my say?” On WFAN they do have their say, often in eloquent and impassioned tones.

So if you want to understand conservatives in New York, WFAN isn’t a bad place to start. The Iras from Staten Island and the Joes from Bay Ridge are not the typical callers you hear on public radio. And while most of the time they will be discussing the disappointing Mets or overachieving Yankees, political and cultural issues creep in more often than you might expect.

We live at a time when politics apparently intersect with everything. And in its own way WFAN has carved out a niche as a secret home for conservative views. Tellingly, at the end of the “Boomer & Carton” show, its producer Al Dukes signs off with the progressive mantra, “Stay woke.” It’s meant as a stab at the left — and the listeners get it.

Their kids might come home from high school or college with progressive views on privilege and notebooks full of ways their fathers perpetuate outdated and traditionalist attitudes toward issues like identity, gender and capitalism. But as they listen to the Fan during their workday, they know somebody gets it. Not just the station itself, or its hosts, but also their fellow conservative-leaning listeners and callers. That is a reason to tune in, and a reason for WFAN to continue its unlikely role as a home for right-of-center talk in New York City.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/04/opinion/wfan-talk-radio-trump.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I fuckin hate Boomer with all my heart and soul!! I seriously wanna fuck him up!!

b9lB01.jpg

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I fuckin hate Boomer with all my heart and soul!! I seriously wanna fuck him up!!

b9lB01.jpg
Yeah man Boomer was on Chicago sports radio show one day doing an interview with 670 the score Jason Goff who is black. They got into it about the Kaepernik thing. Once I heard the shit Boomer was saying, it told me everything I needed to know about him. :smh:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Yeah man Boomer was on Chicago sports radio show one day doing an interview with 670 the score Jason Goff who is black. They got into it about the Kaepernik thing. Once I heard the shit Boomer was saying, it told me everything I needed to know about him. :smh:
P, I'm telling you he hides nothing about who is really is. I hate him, his mother and his wife. Can't stand that other idiot Carton he works with either. He's another pain in the ass goofy crakka who thinks he's funny but he's lame as shit. Francesca though still is on a whole nother level of crakka bitchassness. :smh: Fuck him too.

bvrCn1.jpg

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
Especially their flagship fatboy.

Boomer is the same clown wanted to keep L. T. out of the HOF so I'm not surprised.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
Only a rumor

LITTLE FALLS -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie as the replacement for WFAN's Mike Francesa?

Can Chris Christie replace Mike Francesa? Boomer Esiason says, 'He'd fit the seat, that's for sure.'
Boomer Esiason told NJ Advance Media on Friday that Christie would be "great." But Esiason couldn't resist making a wise crack about Christie and Francesa, who are both rather rotund.

"Well, he'd fit the seat," Esiason joked about Christie taking over for Francesa. "That's for sure. Poor Chris. He takes a beating. I know, I know. I just can't help it. It's just too easy.

"If he decided to do it, he could do it. He's smart enough. He's articulate enough. He obviously is a sports fan. As a sitting governor, he probably knows more sports than any other governor in the country.

"I think he would be a great host if he wanted to do it. I don't necessarily know that's exactly what he had in mind. But I know he could do it. If he's paired with the right guy like I am, he could basically do it easily."

Esiason, a former Jets quarterback, hosts WFAN's morning show with Craig Carton, who has a radio background. Christie has been a guest on that show.

Francesa, a brash sports talk radio pioneer, is leaving WFAN when his contract expires at the end of 2017. Christie is a candidate to replace him. Christie's second gubernatorial term concludes after this year.

"The one thing I will say about him is he stays true to his convictions," Esiason said. "I'd like to believe when I listen to him, and he says he's going to do something, he does it. I'm not so sure that all the other politicians in the world actually do it that way. But he's got a straight, kind of blunt style that I'm not so sure a lot of people really care for."

Esiason spoke Friday before a charity hockey game at Montclair State University. The game raised money for the New Jersey Golf Foundation and Boomer Esiason Foundation, which supports cystic fibrosis research and treatment.

Esiason, at least, has been impressed by Christie's radio chops during his morning show guest spots on WFAN. Carton, a friend of Christie, introduced the governor to Esiason, who has gotten to know Christie.

"He loves coming in [to the studio] and just being away from the politics of it all," Esiason said. "Politics is a rough sport, man. You just don't know where the slings and arrows are coming from half the time. Unlike the actual sports world, where you know where they're coming from.

"I met [Christie] at a Mets game, and I've seen him at Rangers games. I'm like, 'This guy, he's got everything that I have, in terms of the passion for the sports and the teams that we both love.' Except that I'm not a lover of the Dallas Cowboys. That's like blasphemy around here.

"But the thing is, when we see a governor that's making decisions, that is impacting people's lives. Some of those lives are going to be negatively impacted. Some of those lives are going to be positively impacted. He had to deal with Hurricane Sandy. He had to deal with all the sorts of things that governors all across the country deal with."

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've mentioned this before on here but years ago when it was still Mike Francesca and Mad dog Russo doing afternoons on WFAN,, they talked all kinds of shit about black players and their behavior and gametime/sideline antics.... but they talked about Jeremy Shockey (giant at the time) and those mufuckaz said they weren't huge fans but they loved his enthusiasm for the game.... Wtf.

Also, they have like a love affair with Italian nyc college b-ball coaches....like they treated them like royalty...but the black dude that took over St. John's after Lou carniseca retired... They weren't mean to him but it was plain to see that he wasn't being treated like they treated those other coaches(Fordham and Manhattan coaches).

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
i very rarely listen to the fan but most of their fan base is probably conservative.

-their on air talent is mostly white men...cant even think of a promient black commentor other than Carson during Giants season
-their fan base is mostly older white men
-they talk mostly baseball but also horseracing (old white men sport)
-mike supported Trump
-Bomber and Carton have had christie on their show
- they talk about the good ol days and back in my day which isnt that far from make america great again

they the type to complain about showboating/celebrating in baseball when lowkey they just taking shots at Latinos who dominate the game

as is the case with these old white men its close to impossible to change their minds, you just got wait them out

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

b9lB01.jpg

I was one of those fools who actually listened to them all the time.

I stopped listening to them PERIOD

(long over do)

and I made sure that they don't play their show in the break room, hell I aint trying to hear that sh*t in a cab.

matter of fact?

a few of them ESPN dudes got cut off too.

I was SHOCKED as fuck will Bill Daughtry said some f*ck boy sh*t about Kaepernick.

shaddyvillethug

Cac Free Zone
BGOL Investor
Ni99as must not know about the fan.

When I was growing up, Imus was the morning drive show. Fan listeners being Trump supporters comes at no surprise.
Mike and mad dog are beyond faggits

Last year after warriors went up 3-1 he said Cleveland had zero fucking chance

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Ni99as must not know about the fan.

When I was growing up, Imus was the morning drive show. Fan listeners being Trump supporters comes at no surprise.
Word. Imus been on his racist shit since early 80's. Pretty much fuck dat whole station. I kinda fuck with the old dude late night he aight.

3dJDYC.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I was one of those fools who actually listened to them all the time.

I stopped listening to them PERIOD

(long over do)

and I made sure that they don't play their show in the break room, hell I aint trying to hear that sh*t in a cab.

matter of fact?

a few of them ESPN dudes got cut off too.

I was SHOCKED as fuck will Bill Daughtry said some f*ck boy sh*t about Kaepernick.
Yeah Brad gotta suck up to his NASCAR audience. Fuck dat Coon.

vEFNuI.jpg

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah Steve somers.... He's cool. Also Richard Neer on weekends is a good listen. Used to be a black guy I think.... Named Tony Paige on Saturday nights and he talked a lot of boxing....was also good.

Word. Imus been on his racist shit since early 80's. Pretty much fuck dat whole station. I kinda fuck with the old dude late night he aight.

3dJDYC.jpg

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
P, I'm telling you he hides nothing about who is really is. I hate him, his mother and his wife. Can't stand that other idiot Carton he works with either. He's another pain in the ass goofy crakka who thinks he's funny but he's lame as shit. Francesca though still is on a whole nother level of crakka bitchassness. :smh: Fuck him too.

I've always known Esiason was a racist the way he talks about a black players vs how he talks about Brady and the Patriots,who can never do no wrong in his eyes.

This dude barely said a word about Carson Palmer forcing his way out of Cincinnati yet treat Terrell Owens like he's a criminal

It's one of the main reason,why I didn't watch that shitty show every Sunday.Got rid of Shannon but kept this piece of shit..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah Steve somers.... He's cool. Also Richard Neer on weekends is a good listen. Used to be a black guy I think.... Named Tony Paige on Saturday nights and he talked a lot of boxing....was also good.

Steve Somers is mench...solid listen

But he still calls Colin Kaeper-gimmick.
I gotta grit my teeth every time he says that fuck shit.

Richard Neer said some slick shit too though...at this rate?

We just need to start our OWN podcasts and youtube shows.

Largebillsonlyplease podcast coming soon.

4:44

1900KiLLa

#MoneyTeam
Registered
Yea I see a lot of us in the Apple... I agree with y'all, I wanna punch Boomer in his fucking mouth, him Carton and Francesa should do they shows in full Klan garb, shit be disgusting... If I ever saw boomer in public I'd spit on him... them niggas is the rush limbaughs of sports #Trash

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yea I see a lot of us in the Apple... I agree with y'all, I wanna punch Boomer in his fucking mouth, him Carton and Francesa should do they shows in full Klan garb, shit be disgusting... If I ever saw boomer in public I'd spit on him... them niggas is the rush limbaughs of sports #Trash

But we really don't have any alternatives.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wow, Richard Neer said some shit? What did he say... damn, I always thought he was the most even tempered, non-judgemental guy on radio. That opinion may have to change I see.

Steve Somers is mench...solid listen

But he still calls Colin Kaeper-gimmick.
I gotta grit my teeth every time he says that fuck shit.

Richard Neer said some slick shit too though...at this rate?

We just need to start our OWN podcasts and youtube shows.

Largebillsonlyplease podcast coming soon.

4:44