Rare HIP HOP pictures.....only Hip Hop....feel free to post your unique & rare pics..

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Remember when Luke interviewed Jay Z
jaylukethrowback.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Ernie Paniccioli
Hip Hop Photographer

Photo Archive

This cat was on Roxanne Shante’s Hip Hop show on SiriusXm some time ago. I had wrote it down and just came across it this evening going thru paperwork on my truck.

He mentioned that that there were hundreds and thousands of classic Hip Hop pictures and film taken from the late 70s thru the 90s that are gone forever. Nobody took Hip Hop seriously back then, so a lot of photographers just threw away the footage. Or the footage went to media outlets that no longer exists and the original negatives and photos have disappeared, most likely thrown in the trash.

He mentioned that he met Harry Allen (Public Enemy) back in the late 80s and told him to save everything like posters, backstage pass’, ticket stubs, photos, films etc. because it was history, Black history and was important. And he did.

This is definitely something you want to keep.

A number of pictures have been posted already in this thread. But there are a lot that you may not have seen.

Synopsis

This collection offers digital versions of nearly 20,000 photographs by Ernie Paniccioli, one of Hip Hop’s most prolific and prominent photographers. Presented by Cornell University Library’s Hip Hop archives with the permission of Ernie Paniccioli, these photographs provide an unprecedented visual history of Hip Hop culture of the 1980s, 90s, and early 2000s.

Ernie Paniccioli was born in Brooklyn, New York on February 26, 1947, of Cree Native American and Italian parents. He spent his teenage years in Greenwich Village, immersing himself in its art and music scenes. In March of 1965 he joined the U.S. Navy. After his honorable discharge in 1971, he began experimenting with photography on the streets of New York. Fascinated with the graffiti and aerosol art appearing on the city’s buildings and trains, he began to use photography to document elements of Hip Hop culture. By the 1980s, he was a sought-after photographer in the music industry, specifically within Hip Hop. In 1987 he became the principal photographer for Word Up! and Rap Masters magazines, and his work began appearing regularly in publications such as Vibe, The Source, Rolling Stone, and The Village Voice. His photographs tell the story of Hip Hop culture’s evolution from the 1980s through the mid-2000s, and have been the subject of numerous gallery shows, along with the books Who Shot Ya?: Three Decades of Hip Hop Photography (2002) and Hip-Hop at the End of the World: The Photography of Brother Ernie (2018).

Cornell’s Hip Hop Collection received Ernie’s archive in 2012 and began the cataloging and digitization work that would ensure its permanent preservation and public access. The digital collection features examples of his most important work, including in-depth coverage of artists such as LL Cool J, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Salt N Pepa, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, MC Lyte, KRS-One, Queen Latifah, Monie Love, De La Soul, X Clan, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang Clan, Ice Cube, Ice-T, Snoop Dogg, Guru, Notorious B.I.G., Lil’ Kim, Jay-Z, Sean “Puff Daddy” Combs, Big Pun, Lauren Hill, Lil’ Wayne, 50 Cent, Nas, and Tupac Shakur, to name only a few.

The collection can be browsed in order - beginning with photographs Ernie personally selected as his “Best of the Best” - or searched by keyword for groups or individual artists. You can also search other aspects of Hip Hop’s aesthetics that interested Ernie, such as fashion, hairstyles, or jewelry. Photographic descriptions rely partly on Ernie’s own identification notes written on his slide mounts. As a result, if you’re looking for images of individual artists who were part of a group, your results will be more complete if both the artist name and name of the group are searched. (For instance, to find the largest number of images of Flavor Flav, search both keywords “Flav” and “Public Enemy”). Searches for artist aliases or alternate spellings may also retrieve additional results.

The physical slides digitized to create this online collection were drawn from Ernie’s larger archive (described in the finding aid), which is part of the Cornell Hip Hop Collection in Cornell Library’s Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections.

Ernie Paniccioli has generously allowed Cornell’s Hip Hop Collection to open his archive online for educational purposes. To protect the rights of the photographer, image resolution is limited to what is necessary for identification purposes. Corrections or comments about descriptions or licensing inquiries can be sent to rareref@cornell.edu.

ernie-paniccioli-c589f0d030cab093c874493c7aaa3af67ab34a90833aea9622844f7024eb1ea3.jpg

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
beginning of THE END for SLICK RICK, read the caption..........That shooting ruined Slick's career...(did he kill someone? if he did no disrespect to the victim, God Bless the dead) but you know what I mean..
Didn't see this question the first time through. He didn't kill anyone. He told his peeps that since he wasn't touring as much, the money might be slow, so they should start saving their money until things picked up again. Well, his cousin didn't listen and kept spending money like shit was still sweet. When he started leaking, he went to Slick Rick for more money, and Rick told him "I told you guys this was going to happen! I told you to save your money! I don't have anything for you!" Well, his cousin and another dude decided to try rob him, and the next time Rick saw them in the streets, he let off a few rounds.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Didn't see this question the first time through. He didn't kill anyone. He told his peeps that since he wasn't touring as much, the money might be slow, so they should start saving their money until things picked up again. Well, his cousin didn't listen and kept spending money like shit was still sweet. When he started leaking, he went to Slick Rick for more money, and Rick told him "I told you guys this was going to happen! I told you to save your money! I don't have anything for you!" Well, his cousin and another dude decided to try rob him, and the next time Rick saw them in the streets, he let off a few rounds.
I don't even remember posting that, I don't even remember what I was responding to. This must have been about 10 years ago.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1239387_639613299382992_1471813561_n_wgzxk0.jpg

Left to right, that’s Rap-A-Lot founder and CEO James Prince, a.k.a. Lil’ J; Geto Boys MC Scarface (then still going by his original stage name Akshen); Public Enemy MC Chuck D; Public Enemy “Minister of Information” Professor Griff; Geto Boys MC Bushwick Bill; Ready Red, and Geto Boys MC Willie D, almost out of the frame. (Public Enemy’s Flava Flav and Terminator X are not pictured.)
The photo was taken after Public Enemy performed in Houston with LL Cool J in about 1988.

CybaCipha

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Who can name all these folks? I know HEAVY D, Andre Harrell, Marley Marl, shorty on the right look like Sweet T .. Dude on the upper right look like a young pharoah monch. The comedian with the hat ... that's all I got.

ho

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Who can name all these folks? I know HEAVY D, Andre Harrell, Marley Marl, shorty on the right look like Sweet T .. Dude on the upper right look like a young pharoah monch. The comedian with the hat ... that's all I got.

The Uptown Crew

Members:

Finesse & Synquis, Groove B Chill, Heavy D. & The Boyz, Marlon Williams, The Brothers Black, Woody Rock

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
pete-nice-7.jpg

Prince Paul & Prime Minister Pete Nice at Gasface video shoot 1989

petenice5.jpg

3rd Bass, Zev Love X & DMC at Gasface video shoot 1989

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
rapper-shazzy-performs-at-the-hard-to-the-left-hiphop-showcase-on-9-picture-id1287537831

rapper-shazzy-performs-at-the-hard-to-the-left-hiphop-showcase-on-9-picture-id1287537847

Rapper Shazzy (aka Sherry Raquel Marsh) performs at the "Hard To The Left" Hip-Hop showcase on December 9, 1990 in New York City.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
rappers-tmoney-ed-lover-of-yo-mtv-raps-sean-puffy-combs-and-heavy-d-picture-id1287537802

Rappers T-Money (of "Yo! MTV Raps"), Ed Lover (aka James Roberts) of "Yo! MTV Raps", Sean "Puffy" Combs and Heavy D. (aka Swight Myers) attend at the "Hard To The Left" Hip-Hop showcase on December 9, 1990

rap-group-leaders-of-the-new-school-performs-at-the-hard-to-the-left-picture-id1287537280

Rap Group Leaders Of The New School (Charlie Brown aka Bryan Higgins; Dinco D aka James Jackson; Cut Monitor Milo aka Sheldon Scott; Busta Rhymes aka Trevor Smith, Jr. ) performs at the "Hard To The Left" Hip-Hop showcase on December 9, 1990 in New York City.