RIP: Former #Ravens WR and returner Jacoby Jones has passed away. He was just 40 years old.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
According to researchers, one-third of high school, college, and professional players, who underwent screening at the Stanford Sports Cardiology Clinic were reported to have high blood pressure. These people are young, healthy, and have extensive fitness routines.

My grandma lost her younger brother to a massive heart attack at age 58 in early-1997. He was always the healthy one in the family. Took care of himself. Never smoked or did drugs. Only drank socially. Lifted weights, gardened, played recreational soccer & rode his bicycle. She (grandma) by comparison never exercised, and ate anything she wanted her entire life. She lived to be 81yo.

Their own father died of a heart attack at 50.

She noted it always fucked her up how her "baby brother" died so young, as he was the one who actually took care of himself. She would remind him that life was short, and to live a little. He encouraged her to take her own health more seriously and not eat so much junk food and so on.

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My grandma lost her younger brother to a massive heart attack at age 58 in early-1997. He was always the healthy one in the family. Took care of himself. Never smoked or did drugs. Only drank socially. Lifted weights, gardened, played recreational soccer & rode his bicycle. She (grandma) by comparison never exercised, and ate anything she wanted her entire life. She lived to be 81yo.

She noted it always fucked her up how her "baby brother" died so young, as he was the one who actually took care of himself. She would remind him that life was short, and to live a little. He encouraged her to take her own health more seriously and not eat so much junk food and so on.
My maternal grandfather had two massive heart attacks & lived to be 103

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Clearly not..this one fucking me up here I’ve never heard of an athlete at 40 dying from long term high blood pressure. I think about all the unhealthy fat people I know who in they 50s and 60s with high blood pressure….crazy…long term and 40 years old don’t even add up.

I can tell you first hand how not taking blood pressure pills can silently fuck you up. Even for a high level athlete you can't beat Genetics.

Mom was super athletic and ran track in college, been on bp meds since the age of 25.

In 2019 I got put in ICU, bp was 280/176. I was one of them cats who said I don't want to take them pills because I felt fine and was worried about side effects from the meds.

Shit was a wake up call, i was working out, doing the home remedies, but was pretty much a dead man walking. The night I went to icu I tried to lay down and rest because I felt like shit but something told me to go to the dr. Showed up in the office, they took my bp and gave me the option of taking an ambulance or getting family to rush me to the er. I didn't feel the effects until it was almost too late.

For years I ignored my bp and damaged my kidneys from high bp plus taking so many NSAIDS(advil, motrin, ibuprofen, celebrex) from sports injuries. Damaged my vision also especially my left eye, vessels swell and put pressure on the optic nerve.

Today with meds, fasting and exercise my bp normal and I raised my kidney function from an efgr of 25 to almost out of stage 3 kidney disease.

Hypertension will wreck your body even if you are fit.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
According to researchers, one-third of high school, college, and professional players, who underwent screening at the Stanford Sports Cardiology Clinic were reported to have high blood pressure. These people are young, healthy, and have extensive fitness routines.

Damn…..

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can tell you first hand how not taking blood pressure pills can silently fuck you up. Even for a high level athlete you can't bear Genetics.

Mom was super athletic and ran track in college, been on bp meds since the age of 25.

In 2019 I got put in ICU, bp was 280/176. I was one of them cats who said I don't want to take them pills because I felt fine and was worried about side effects from the meds.

Shit was a wake up call, i was working out, doing the home remedies, but was pretty much a dead man walking. The night I went to icu I tried to lay down and rest because I felt like shit but something told me to go to the dr. Showed up in the office, they took my bp and gave me the option of taking an ambulance or getting family to rush me to the er.

For years I ignored my bp and damaged my kidneys from high bp plus taking so many NSAIDS(advil, motrin, ibuprofen, celebrex) from sports injuries.

Today with meds, fasting and exercise my bp normal and I raised my kidney function from an efgr of 25 to almost out of stage 3 kidney disease.

Same thing happened to a couple of guys that I grew up two made (emergency surgery) & one died in the ER waiting room (but that was really due to negligence of the staff)

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
My maternal grandfather had two massive heart attacks & lived to be 103

Wow - that is impressive!

My grandma had a few strokes, a heart attack & angina-related concerns near the end.

Crazily enough ... 1st stroke was while babysitting us kids in the late-80s or early-90s. The 2nd one was at my college graduation. I realized it once we got in the car afterward.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can tell you first hand how not taking blood pressure pills can silently fuck you up. Even for a high level athlete you can't beat Genetics.

Shit was a wake up call, i was working out, doing the home remedies, but was pretty much a dead man walking. The night I went to icu I tried to lay down and rest because I felt like shit but something told me to go to the dr. Showed up in the office, they took my bp and gave me the option of taking an ambulance or getting family to rush me to the er. I didn't feel the effects until it was almost too late.

For years I ignored my bp and damaged my kidneys from high bp plus taking so many NSAIDS(advil, motrin, ibuprofen, celebrex) from sports injuries. Damaged my vision also especially my left eye, vessels swell and put pressure on the optic nerve.

Damn….thats good shit though getting your health in tact I got a tendency to not feel pain or bad and you never know wtf you going through without checking on it.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Same thing happened to a couple of guys that I grew up two made (emergency surgery) & one died in the ER waiting room (but that was really due to negligence of the staff)

Nurse in the ER and said damn I never seen bp that high, how in the hell did you walk in here. They hurried up and started hooking me to IVs, they said they had to lower it in stages.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn….thats good shit though getting your health in tact I got a tendency to not feel pain or bad and you never know wtf you going through without checking on it.

Shit I take my ass to the dr and listen to them now. I have a great pcp, she will let me try lifestyle changes before prescribing prescriptions.

6:00 am everyday I make sure to take them 2 bp pills.

Ballatician

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

My dad told me a story about his colleague where all the men on his dad side died at the age of 50 due to cardiac issues. He tried to beat this by being a triathlete, a vegan, and a serious fitness nut. While he lived 10 years longer than his dad and grandfather, he died in gym on a treadmill the same way cardiac issues.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
My dad told me a story about his colleague where all the men on his dad side died at the age of 50 due to cardiac issues. He tried to beat this by being a triathlete, a vegan, and a serious fitness nut. While he lived 10 years longer than his dad and grandfather, he died in gym on a treadmill the same way cardiac issues.

Damn.

Genetics / heredity.

Even when trying to do the right thing & live well.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
You can eat all the sea moss with its 92 minerals, shit ain’t reversing your genes.

Agreed. And that's the scary thing.

As the saying goes ... just try to live a balanced lifestyle. Limit your stressors. Get adequate exercise and sleep. Consume more healthy food than the alternatives.

Just know that shit is unfair. Our expiration dates are pre-written in a sense.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Also gotta be careful in how much you work out too. No matter how good something is too much of anything can be problem. Not saying that’s what happened there the working out seems like it gave him an extra 10 years….

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member

This is a great testimony and honestly, I'm glad you're here to tell it. Did you have to take certain meds to raise kidney function or did you have a certain diet?

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Kobe Bryant dad died the same way, I wished our brothas took care of themselves and see the doctor which could've saved their life.

We must do better and take care of our health because things like that can be prevented by making changes of what we consume.

So, brothas from another mother let's make sure we take care of ourselves to have a chance to live a healthy long life.

Last edited:

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is a great testimony and honestly, I'm glad you're here to tell it. Did you have to take certain meds to raise kidney function or did you have a certain diet?

Biggest thing is controlling blood pressure, staying hydrated(I drink 160 ounces of water a day), exercise, and no more NSAIDS( advil, motrin, ibuprofen).

There's really no meds to raise kidney function, but I do take a daily cocktail of supplements(turemic, ceylon cinnamon, zinc, magnesium, L-Citrulline). During the weekdays I limit animal protein intake.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah you definitely have to monitor your heart if you compete in extrenous workouts on a regular basis....If I can find the article, I'll post it but research has shown people that participate in extrenous execises on a regular basis, can age your heart.....You can be 40 years old, but your heart can resemble someone that is like 65 years old.....

Could Cardiac Events in World-Class Athletes Have Lessons for Age-Groupers?​

One unconventional study examined the correlation between cardiac events and elite athletes across multiple sports. The results? Triathletes and cyclists have the highest rate.

[COLOR=var(--out-theme-color-content-default-weakest)]Published Feb 9, 2023

[COLOR=var(--out-theme-color-content-default-weakest)]Dr. Jeffrey Sankoff[/COLOR]

Photo: Getty Images

[/COLOR]
New perk! Get after it with local recommendations just for you. Discover nearby events, routes out your door, and hidden gems when you sign up for the Local Running Drop.
For several decades now the medical community has been aware of the benefits of exercise. Compared to sedentary individuals, those who exercise regularly, even for brief durations and even at low intensity demonstrate lower levels of chronic disease, higher quality of life, and lower all-cause mortality at a younger age leading to a longer overall life expectancy. These benefits of exercise are irrefutable, and a big reason why recreational pursuits like triathlon have become as popular as they are.
Exercise though does have its potential dark side. We are all too familiar with the tragic deaths that occur in endurance events such as marathons or triathlons. Even in other professional sports, there have been high-profile incidents: Danish soccer player Christian Eriksen collapsed on the field during a match, National Hockey League player Rich Peverley of the Dallas Stars suffered a cardiac arrest while on the bench between shifts, and most recently, NFL player Damar Hamlin went into cardiac arrest during a Monday Night Football game. All three thankfully survived.
RELATED: Sudden Cardiac Arrest on National TV: An Explainer and What it Means for Triathletes

Is exercise bad for your heart?​

Researchers have determined that exercise may confer benefits up to a point, after which the benefits diminish or even become deleterious. Put simply, too much intensity during exercise, at too high a volume, may not be protective to the heart. Rather, it may result in changes to the cardiovascular system that confer risk. This kind of exercise paradox is often referred to as a reverse J-curve.
A Reverse J-Curve: Mortality is on the vertical axis, dose of the intervention in question is on the X axis. For exercise, mortality decreases with increasing exercise but once exercise volume and intensity exceeds a threshold, mortality rises again.

A Reverse J-Curve: Mortality is on the vertical axis, while dose of the intervention in question is on the X axis. Mortality decreases as exercise increases; but once exercise volume and intensity exceeds a threshold, mortality rises again.

The consequences of this have been reported in studies of older male athletes, in whom higher volume of exercise was associated with higher incidences of cardiac events when compared to those who exercised less. It is important to note that even in those men who exercised more, their rates of cardiac events still were lower than those who did not exercise at all.

A new study on the heart health J-curve​

Researchers in France and Switzerland wanted to know if this J-curve relationship could manifest as higher incidences in cardiac events among the most elite of athletes—those who train at the highest volumes and intensities at a young age. To determine this, they looked at high-performing Olympic athletes from a variety of sports and performed robust internet searches to determine if any of them had publicly reported cardiac events of sudden cardiac death (SCD) or arrhythmias.
While methodology like this is not at all standard for this kind of research, it has been employed successfully before, and the authors of the resultant paper published recently in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise argued that it was a reasonable means by which to gather their data. Athletes of this caliber are public figures and cardiac events occurring in this population whose average age was in the mid-twenties are very likely to be widely reported.
The researchers gathered data on 2,471 athletes, half of whom were female. The athletes came from a host of different sports across the winter and summer games. Those sports were divided into categories depending on what kind of physical demands they required. For example, “skill sports” included diving and ski jumping, “power sports” included gymnastics, sprinting, figure skating, and alpine skiing while “endurance sports” included cycling, triathlon, cross country skiing, and biathlon.
Over a twelve-year period, 15 cardiac events were identified within this cohort of high-performing athletes, giving a 0.61% rate of incidence. The average age of the athletes who had these events was 29. Thirteen of the events were arrhythmias, while two were SCD (one was resuscitated). The SCD events occurred in a cyclist and a triathlete. Except for the two cases of SCD, all of the athletes with arrhythmias were treated and later cleared to resume training and competition.

Endurance athletes at greater risk​

The incidence of events did not differ between men and women, but did dramatically differ among sport type. Endurance athletes were far more likely to suffer cardiac events than any other sport type, and cyclists and triathletes had the highest propensity by far for these issues. In fact among women, only triathletes had cardiac events.
The authors attributed the higher risk to cyclists and triathletes especially to several factors. Both of these sports had the highest training load and intensity compared to all other endurance sports evaluated. They also had the longest competitive seasons. Athlete mindset was invoked as well because previous research has shown that athletes from these two sports are somewhat notorious for ignoring or minimizing symptoms or impairment in performance related to cardiac issues. This can lead to progression of underlying structural problems like cardiac remodeling and hypertrophy that result in dysrhythmias.
There are some important caveats that need to be considered in interpreting the results of this study.

• First, the event rate was exceedingly small so it is difficult to have a high degree of confidence in the conclusions when there is such a paucity of data to base them on.
  • Second, this is a very specialized population of very elite, high-performing, young athletes. Whether or not these results are generalizable to older age-group athletes is not entirely clear.
Still, this paper is a cautionary tale that once again demonstrates the potential perils associated with excessive training at high intensity and calls out specifically the dangers related to cycling and triathlon. There is no question that both of these sports are attracting more and more older athletes into their ranks, and this is a cohort that has an inherently higher risk for cardiac disease going in just because of older age. If excessive training truly does increase that risk even further this would be very important to know.
For now, the take-home message still needs to be that exercise remains overall a significant benefit and that paying attention to your body for any signs or symptoms of things being amiss remains the best way to identify a problem before it manifests in a much more dangerous and potentially tragic way.

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jacoby Jones will always have a special place in Baltimore Sports Lore. Up there with Boog, Brooks, Frank, Unitas, Marchetti, Berry, Lewis, Reed, Flacco, etc...

I was afraid that his death would be Fentanyl related. I forgot all about the Silent Killer. I have been on low doses of BP meds ever since they reclassified Hypertension to anything constantly over 120/80. I was classified as a "High Normal" person. My BP was 130-140 over 85-90. Now they see that just being 10 pts over can cause damage to your heart. After taking meds, my BP, on occasion, hits caucasian levels at 107/72 or 117/76. I have a friend who is on that "natural kick" trying to control his hypertension with apple cider vinegar and other nonsense. He'll be in the emergency ward soon. He may have already had a stroke, and he still won't see a doctor.

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
At work we monitor the BP readings for 2 people weekly, and at times daily.

Everyone else we do monthly vitals (everything) for and document all their appts, etc.

It’s really helpful having years worth of data available for reference, especially with an older population from mid-50s to early-80s. Several of whom we have worked with for 10 - 25 years.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yeah you definitely have to monitor your heart if you compete in extrenous workouts on a regular basis....If I can find the article, I'll post it but research has shown people that participate in extrenous execises on a regular basis, can age your heart.....You can be 40 years old, but your heart can resemble someone that is like 65 years old.....

Could Cardiac Events in World-Class Athletes Have Lessons for Age-Groupers?​

One unconventional study examined the correlation between cardiac events and elite athletes across multiple sports. The results? Triathletes and cyclists have the highest rate.

[COLOR=var(--out-theme-color-content-default-weakest)]Published Feb 9, 2023

[COLOR=var(--out-theme-color-content-default-weakest)]Dr. Jeffrey Sankoff[/COLOR]

Photo: Getty Images

[/COLOR]
New perk! Get after it with local recommendations just for you. Discover nearby events, routes out your door, and hidden gems when you sign up for the Local Running Drop.
For several decades now the medical community has been aware of the benefits of exercise. Compared to sedentary individuals, those who exercise regularly, even for brief durations and even at low intensity demonstrate lower levels of chronic disease, higher quality of life, and lower all-cause mortality at a younger age leading to a longer overall life expectancy. These benefits of exercise are irrefutable, and a big reason why recreational pursuits like triathlon have become as popular as they are.
Exercise though does have its potential dark side. We are all too familiar with the tragic deaths that occur in endurance events such as marathons or triathlons. Even in other professional sports, there have been high-profile incidents: Danish soccer player Christian Eriksen collapsed on the field during a match, National Hockey League player Rich Peverley of the Dallas Stars suffered a cardiac arrest while on the bench between shifts, and most recently, NFL player Damar Hamlin went into cardiac arrest during a Monday Night Football game. All three thankfully survived.
RELATED: Sudden Cardiac Arrest on National TV: An Explainer and What it Means for Triathletes

Is exercise bad for your heart?​

Researchers have determined that exercise may confer benefits up to a point, after which the benefits diminish or even become deleterious. Put simply, too much intensity during exercise, at too high a volume, may not be protective to the heart. Rather, it may result in changes to the cardiovascular system that confer risk. This kind of exercise paradox is often referred to as a reverse J-curve.
A Reverse J-Curve: Mortality is on the vertical axis, dose of the intervention in question is on the X axis. For exercise, mortality decreases with increasing exercise but once exercise volume and intensity exceeds a threshold, mortality rises again.

A Reverse J-Curve: Mortality is on the vertical axis, while dose of the intervention in question is on the X axis. Mortality decreases as exercise increases; but once exercise volume and intensity exceeds a threshold, mortality rises again.

The consequences of this have been reported in studies of older male athletes, in whom higher volume of exercise was associated with higher incidences of cardiac events when compared to those who exercised less. It is important to note that even in those men who exercised more, their rates of cardiac events still were lower than those who did not exercise at all.

A new study on the heart health J-curve​

Researchers in France and Switzerland wanted to know if this J-curve relationship could manifest as higher incidences in cardiac events among the most elite of athletes—those who train at the highest volumes and intensities at a young age. To determine this, they looked at high-performing Olympic athletes from a variety of sports and performed robust internet searches to determine if any of them had publicly reported cardiac events of sudden cardiac death (SCD) or arrhythmias.
While methodology like this is not at all standard for this kind of research, it has been employed successfully before, and the authors of the resultant paper published recently in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise argued that it was a reasonable means by which to gather their data. Athletes of this caliber are public figures and cardiac events occurring in this population whose average age was in the mid-twenties are very likely to be widely reported.
The researchers gathered data on 2,471 athletes, half of whom were female. The athletes came from a host of different sports across the winter and summer games. Those sports were divided into categories depending on what kind of physical demands they required. For example, “skill sports” included diving and ski jumping, “power sports” included gymnastics, sprinting, figure skating, and alpine skiing while “endurance sports” included cycling, triathlon, cross country skiing, and biathlon.
Over a twelve-year period, 15 cardiac events were identified within this cohort of high-performing athletes, giving a 0.61% rate of incidence. The average age of the athletes who had these events was 29. Thirteen of the events were arrhythmias, while two were SCD (one was resuscitated). The SCD events occurred in a cyclist and a triathlete. Except for the two cases of SCD, all of the athletes with arrhythmias were treated and later cleared to resume training and competition.

Endurance athletes at greater risk​

The incidence of events did not differ between men and women, but did dramatically differ among sport type. Endurance athletes were far more likely to suffer cardiac events than any other sport type, and cyclists and triathletes had the highest propensity by far for these issues. In fact among women, only triathletes had cardiac events.
The authors attributed the higher risk to cyclists and triathletes especially to several factors. Both of these sports had the highest training load and intensity compared to all other endurance sports evaluated. They also had the longest competitive seasons. Athlete mindset was invoked as well because previous research has shown that athletes from these two sports are somewhat notorious for ignoring or minimizing symptoms or impairment in performance related to cardiac issues. This can lead to progression of underlying structural problems like cardiac remodeling and hypertrophy that result in dysrhythmias.
There are some important caveats that need to be considered in interpreting the results of this study.

• First, the event rate was exceedingly small so it is difficult to have a high degree of confidence in the conclusions when there is such a paucity of data to base them on.
  • Second, this is a very specialized population of very elite, high-performing, young athletes. Whether or not these results are generalizable to older age-group athletes is not entirely clear.
Still, this paper is a cautionary tale that once again demonstrates the potential perils associated with excessive training at high intensity and calls out specifically the dangers related to cycling and triathlon. There is no question that both of these sports are attracting more and more older athletes into their ranks, and this is a cohort that has an inherently higher risk for cardiac disease going in just because of older age. If excessive training truly does increase that risk even further this would be very important to know.
For now, the take-home message still needs to be that exercise remains overall a significant benefit and that paying attention to your body for any signs or symptoms of things being amiss remains the best way to identify a problem before it manifests in a much more dangerous and potentially tragic way.
Former Wake Forest basketball coach Skip Prosser collapsed during or after a run. He was in great shape for a man his age...

Prosser

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's exactly why I scaled it back to walking and light lifting as I got into my mid 30s to early 40s.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Meant to add ... the day he passed was a surprisingly warm, comfortable late-January day. Sun was out. I had the day off school that day, and I remember taking my mom's minivan into the shop for some minor repairs, then I came home and washed the car & delivered newspapers. The day was going great ... then I got that tragic phone call of his passing.

He was doing some gardening that morning and then went for a light run of about 15 - 20 minutes at a moderate incline. Destination was a local grocery store / mini mall in the area. As he was there, he bumped into a long-time friend who was walking his dog in the area. As they were chatting outside, the heart attack hit and he collapsed and face-planted on the sidewalk.

If he were alive today, he'd be 85yo. Miss you, (dad's) uncle!

His wife passed from cancer 15 years after him in her early to mid-60s.

She got a chance to meet some of her grandkids, and would be proud of how her son's doing. He's been happily married for just under 20 years now, has got himself 4 kids & a family first woman as wifey.

Gonna see "cousin" this Friday for dinner and a movie with my pops.