ROC-A-FELLA Sues Damon Dash ... TO STOP NFT SALE OF 'REASONABLE DOUBT'

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
ROC-A-FELLA Sues Damon Dash...TO STOP NFT SALE OF 'REASONABLE DOUBT'

Roc-A-Fella is knocking Damon Dash's hustle ... the record company is suing one of its own founders in a first-of-its-kind lawsuit, claiming Dash is trying to auction off one of Jay-Z's debut albums as an NFT.

The record company is going after Damon for allegedly trying to mint "Reasonable Doubt" as a non-fungible token (known as an NFT) and auction it off to the highest bidder ... a piece of hip-hop history RAF says is not Dame's to sell, because the company owns it.

According to the docs -- filed by powerhouse attorney Alex Spiro -- Damon planned to sell the album as an NFT at a since-canceled auction, but the company is worried DD will just try to find another platform to hold the auction.

In the suit, RAF claims Damon is "frantically scouting for another venue to make the sale" and believes DD is still looking to cash in ASAP on the recent NFT craze.

RAF's asking a court to step in and stop Damon from going through with the auction and it wants Dash to turn over any NFTs of "Reasonable Doubt" he may have already minted.

We reached out to Damon ... so far, no word back.

Chills

International member
BGOL Investor
Dame owns the rights in whole, with Biggs, i believe and I don't think there's any precedent that doesn't favor the rights holder. In the era of blockbuster deals for rights and catalog, this sale is a big deal.

Last edited:

brando154110

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dash is savvy enough to get around this and sell it. Jay-Z is another frontman that is out earned by his wife and is mad he couldn’t be more than a puppet.
What are income numbers on the two of them separately?

:smh: how much did he lose in that Spotify deal? Props to Dash for cashing in on the NFT trend.

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dash is savvy enough to get around this and sell it. Jay-Z is another frontman that is out earned by his wife and is mad he couldn’t be more than a puppet.

:smh: how much did he lose in that Spotify deal? Props to Dash for cashing in on the NFT trend.
Because he took the money and he flipped it!:lol:

Seriously, I guess it’s the perception that he stood up to the-powers-that-be in the music industry - Lyon Cohen, et al.
Yea he didn't ride whitey dick like Jay does

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

What in the world are you talking about

Selling something that he doesn't own? That's like someone trying to sell your car.

Dame owns the rights in whole, with Biggs, i believe and I don't think there's any precedent that doesn't favor the rights holder. In the era of blockbuster deals for rights and catalog, this sale is a big deal.

I think it's Dame, Jay, Biggs and Priority/EMI

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
I remember reading an interview some time ago with where he stated that he attempted to trade ownership of all his other records done while with Dame/Biggs at Rocafella to them in exchange for total ownership of Reasonable Doubt even though it sold the least out of all since it was his "baby" and they refused which I thought was crazy.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I remember reading an interview some time ago with where he stated that he attempted to trade ownership of all his other records done while with Dame/Biggs at Rocafella to them in exchange for total ownership of Reasonable Doubt even though it sold the least out of all since it was his "baby" and they refused which I thought was crazy.

When you petty that's what you do

N*E*R*D

Out here somewhere
Registered
Doesn't sound like a good deal to me lol

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Good luck selling it

It better just be a graphic and not anything physical
he could sell a personally owned physical vinyl or CD along with single issue audio file as an NFT

under current law it should be no different than me selling an autographed CD or limited run vinyl

but
if he is trying to auction a new unique reissue or special edition?
or only selling RD as an audio NFT?
fuhgeddaboudit

...there is not enough information in op's post

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
It would be great deal for Dame. If he took that deal back in 05 when it was offered he could’ve turned around and sold it back to Jay when he acquired tidal for probably 250 mill.
no he couldn't

J can't offer to sell / trade what he never owned

best he could do was offer his points / %

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
Doesn't sound like a good deal to me lol

It wasn't for Jay-Z which was his point.

Dame would have profited significantly more from that deal but IMO refused it to spite Jay.

Same with Biggs who at the time this was going on also appeared to have an issue with Jay and was still close with Dame.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
he could sell a personally owned physical vinyl or CD along with single issue audio file as an NFT

under current law it should be no different than me selling an autographed CD or limited run vinyl

but
if he is trying to auction a new unique reissue or special edition?
or only selling RD as an audio NFT?
fuhgeddaboudit

...there is not enough information in op's post

Agreed.

Either marketing trick to drive up the price

Or gtfoh

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Roc-A-Fella-Sues-Damon-Dash-.jpg.optimal.jpg

Roc-A-Fella-Sues-Damon-Dash-1.jpg.optimal.jpg

rage

International
International Member
Jay-Z isn't going to lose this one, Dame will just have to take this L and continue to spend his girlfriends money.