ROC-A-FELLA Sues Damon Dash ... TO STOP NFT SALE OF 'REASONABLE DOUBT'

christop

Rising Star
Registered
If Dame had any sense he would have gone to Biggs and Jay and tried to form some sort of partnership for it. But no he goes and does some dumb shit again. Dude went from being on top of the world helping run the hottest rap label and bagging Aaliyah to this downfall. I guess that could fuck anyone up.

Chills

International member
BGOL Investor
Wouldn't put it past any of them scheming to drive up the overall value of the rights to Reasonable Doubt.

It's ripe for a blockbuster deal.

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
Dash says he owns a third of Roc-A-Fella and he has every right to sell his share of the project. He straight-up told Page Six that:

“Jay is lying. That’s a whole lie. Jay owns one-third of ‘Reasonable Doubt.’

“They just said that I tried to sell an NFT of ‘Reasonable Doubt’ and … it’s not true. I’m not running around to different places trying to auction off ‘Reasonable Doubt.’ I’ve been working with one platform and that’s SuperFarm.
“And the thing is I own a third of Roc-A-Fella Records and I can sell my third if I feel like it.”

Jay allegedly filed a lawsuit on Friday after offering to buy Dash out of his shares of Roc-A-Fella for $1.5 million. That was an offer Dash declined.

The lawsuit states that: “Dash is frantically scouting for another venue to make the sale. … The sale of this irreplaceable asset must be stopped before it is too late, and Dash must be held accountable for his theft.”

Dash retorted to those claims by saying, “Jay himself tried to buy my third and it was a crackhead deal. He offered me like I was Pookie or something from New Jack City.”

In case you didn’t know, Pookie was Chris Rock’s character from the 1991 movie “New Jack City.” Pookie tried to become a police informant in the flick.

Dash continued to spill the tea on his dealings with Jay-Z as he said, “That’s what corporate always does to the independent guy. It’s a case of corporate versus independent and how they try to bully me — but they are trying to bully the wrong one.”

There seems to be a disagreement about who is allowed to make money in this situation. Jay-Z likes to have as much control as possible, which is evident. He likely wouldn’t be filing a lawsuit against a Roc-A-Fella cofounder if that wasn’t the case.

Diomedes3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dash is savvy enough to get around this and sell it. Jay-Z is another frontman that is out earned by his wife and is mad he couldn’t be more than a puppet.

:smh: how much did he lose in that Spotify deal? Props to Dash for cashing in on the NFT trend.

You never know what the fuck your talking about. Always broadcasting uninformed bullshit and painting it as fact :smh:

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought Jay ended up getting the masters to Reasonable Doubt when he took that Def Jam job? Or was it just for a 1/3rd of the album?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

DAMON DASHJAY-Z ALBUM NFT SALE BLOCKED ...Roc-A-Fella Gets Legal Win

6/22/2021 8:33 AM PT

TMZ/Getty Composite
Damon Dash is taking the L -- at least for now -- in his attempt to auction off Jay-Z's "Reasonable Doubt" album as an NFT ... but he's not likely to give up just yet.
A source close to the case tells us the court ruled in favor of Roc-A-Fella Tuesday by ruling Damon's prohibited from selling the NFT of Jay's debut studio album, and any planned auctions to do so must be halted.
Of course, the ruling is only temporary, but we're told the federal judge said Jay and Roc-A-Fella's arguments were "deemed credible and correct." That being said, more filings are almost certain to come in the future from Dash's side.

Roc-A-Fella Records
We broke the story ... Roc-A-Fella sued Dash -- one of its cofounders -- claiming he did not have rights to sell "Reasonable Doubt" because the company owns it.
RAF -- repped by powerhouse attorney Alex Spiro -- claimed Damon was trying to cash in on the NFT craze, so they took him to court to stop any potential sale and make him turn over any NFTs he'd already minted.
But, Dash told us the lawsuit wasn't going to stop him and clarified he wasn't just trying to sell Jay's album, but his ENTIRE stake in Roc-A-Fella. Dame claimed Jay-Z lowballed him with an offer to buy out his 1/3 stake in the company ... so he's shopping around.
As far as we can tell ... nothing's stopping him from doing that.

Last edited:

dasmybikepunk

Wait for it.....
OG Investor

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jay, Dame abs Biggs own the rights.
Dame owns the rights in whole, with Biggs, i believe and I don't think there's any precedent that doesn't favor the rights holder. In the era of blockbuster deals for rights and catalog, this sale is a big deal.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not true. He was going to sell Dame the name Roca Fella. So that Dame could sign artists under that name.
I remember reading an interview some time ago with where he stated that he attempted to trade ownership of all his other records done while with Dame/Biggs at Rocafella to them in exchange for total ownership of Reasonable Doubt even though it sold the least out of all since it was his "baby" and they refused which I thought was crazy.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn has been moving like a crack head for decades now.
If Dame had any sense he would have gone to Biggs and Jay and tried to form some sort of partnership for it. But no he goes and does some dumb shit again. Dude went from being on top of the world helping run the hottest rap label and bagging Aaliyah to this downfall. I guess that could fuck anyone up.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Maybe he’s trying to leverage the jay z deal for it by offering it to other buyers to get a higher price from jay

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Not true. He was going to sell Dame the name Roca Fella. So that Dame could sign artists under that name.

1- that is 2 different offers
2- J doesn't own Roc-a-fella nor name rights

Roc-a-fella inc vs. Roc-a-fella llc (DefJam / Universal partnered)

both entities have multiple stake holders, preventing J from selling either out right

Last edited:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dame was going to get Roc a Fella if he agreed.
Jay was going to get everyone to sign off.

1- that is 2 different offers
2- J doesn't own Roc-a-fella nor name rights

Roc-a-fella inc vs. Roc-a-fella llc (DefJam / Universal partnered)

both entities have multiple stake holders, preventing J from selling either out right

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
My bad now you got me all confused.
Jay was giving them the Rocafella name for the Reasonable Doubt ownership.
:smh:
J wanted to buy out Dame and Biggs ownership share of Rocafella inc / Reasonable Doubt

Part of his offer was giving them his % of Roc-a-fella llc (catalogue co-owned with Dame Biggs & Def Jam)

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:smh:
J wanted to buy out Dame and Biggs ownership share of Rocafella inc / Reasonable Doubt

Part of his offer was giving them his % of Roc-a-fella llc (catalogue co-owned with Dame Biggs & Def Jam)
So does Rocafella Inc own majority of Jays catalogue or just Reasonable Doubt??

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Damon Dash Files Lawsuit Against JAY-Z Over Reasonable Doubt Streaming Rights
Roc-A-Fella Records recently sued Dash (the label’s co-founder) for attempting to auction the 1996 album as an NFT

Last month, Roc-A-Fella Records sued the label’s co-founder Damon Dash for attempting to auction JAY-Z’s 1996 debut Reasonable Doubt as an NFT. The label alleged that Dash could not legally oversee this sale as the rights to the record belong to the label. Now, Dash has filed a lawsuit against JAY-Z in the New York Supreme Court, The Hollywood Reporter points out. According to documents viewed by THR, the complaint accuses JAY-Z of wrongfully claiming streaming rights to Reasonable Doubt for himself.

The suit reportedly states that JAY-Z transferred streaming rights to Reasonable Doubt (without authorization from Roc-A-Fella) to S. Carter Enterprises LLC. According to THR, Dash is suing over unjust enrichment, breach of fiduciary duty, replevin, and conversion, and seeking a minimum of $1 million in damages.

Dash’s scheduled NFT auction was canceled before he was able to sell Reasonable Doubt in the digital format last month, but Roc-A-Fella’s June lawsuit claimed that Dash was “frantically scouting for another venue to make the sale.” Dash later claimed that he was never attempting to sell JAY-Z’s album but rather his share of Roc-A-Fella.

Legal tensions within the Roc-A-Fella realm have been surfacing in the past few years. Earlier this summer, JAY-Z filed a lawsuit against hip-hop photographer Jonathan Mannion, who shot the cover of Reasonable Doubt. JAY-Z accused Mannion of “exploiting” his name and image “without [his] consent.” In 2016, JAY-Z and Dash (along with Kareem “Biggs” Burke, Roc-A-Fella, Universal Music Group, and Island Def Jam) were sued by clothing designer Dwayne Walker. Walker claimed he created the Roc-A-Fella logo and was owed royalties for its use. He sued for $7 million over breach of contract and copyright infringement.

When reached for comment, an attorney for Roc-A-Fella and JAY-Z told Pitchfork: “This is nothing more than a frivolous stunt.” Pitchfork has also reached out to representatives for Damon Dash for comment and additional information.