Salute to these White Folk out here seeking justice for George Floyd and other victims of police & promising to change their ways

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
John Mulaney Was Investigated by the Secret Service After His SNL Monologue
By Megh Wright@megh_wright

When John Mulaney returned to host SNL right before the election on Halloween, he unintentionally sparked some controversy thanks to a joke in his monologue, in which he called the election an “elderly man contest” and argued that no matter who ended up winning, “nothing much will change in the United States.” There was more context to the joke than that, but still, people got mad! And while reflecting on the whole thing on last night’s Jimmy Kimmel Live, Mulaney said the negative reaction was warranted. “I should have said ‘I very much want one to win over the other and there will be improvements if one wins.’ I deserve the backlash. I just forgot to do it,” he told Kimmel. “I forgot to make the joke good.” Just in case there was any confusion, Mulaney made it very clear to his critics that yes, he’s a Democrat who very much supported Biden: “I like people and I’m generally happy and not deeply angry, so I’m a Democrat.”

It turns out, though, that the election joke from October was not the most controversial SNL monologue joke Mulaney told in 2020. When he hosted the show on February 29, he made a leap year joke about how Julius Caesar became such a “powerful maniac” that he was stabbed to death by senators — after which Mulaney told the SNL audience, “That would be an interesting thing if we brought that back now!” Mulaney revealed to Kimmel that that punchline earned him a rare accomplishment: a Secret Service investigation. “I guess they opened a file on me because of the joke, and I have to say: Am I stoked there’s a file open on me? Absolutely. Did I enjoy it in the moment? Not so much,” he told Kimmel. Thankfully, Mulaney has since been cleared by the Secret Service — or at least he was told he had been cleared.

Later in the interview, Kimmel also asked Mulaney “what’s going on” with the recent news that he took a gig as a writer on Late Night With Seth Meyers. Mulaney offered a pretty thorough explanation about going crazy in quarantine and how he pitched the idea to Seth Meyers, but the whole thing is best summed up by something his psychiatrist told him: “Without external structure, I don’t have any confidence in you thriving.” Thankfully, Mulaney has found that much-needed structure: rambling to Meyers about ghosts and the royal family from the security of his Julian Casablancas trench coat. We all have to find sanity where we can get it these days.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Kristen Bell Will Also No Longer Voice an Animated Black Character On Central Park
By Chris Murphy@christress
Not a Black person. Photo: Getty Images
d95fccb0fb5ac5c4b60372f9d9ac78f39c--22kristen-bell-22.rsquare.w330.jpg

Well it has certainly been quite the day for white actresses who voice Black characters on animated series, of which there are surprisingly more than one. Earlier on Wednesday, June 24, white comedian Jenny Slate took to Instagram to announce that she would no longer provide the voice for Missy, a Black character, on Netflix’s animated comedy series Big Mouth because “Black characters on an animated show should be played by Black people.” Hours (and most likely hundreds of frantic texts) later, the creative team behind Apple TV+’s Central Park announced that white actress Kristen Bell would no longer provide the voice for Molly, a Black character on the animated comedy series. Two animated Black characters named Molly and Missy voiced by white actresses in 2020? Shocking cinematic parallels there, to be sure. The statement from Central Park creators Loren Bouchard, Josh Gad, Nora Smith, Halsted Sullivan and Sanjay Shah reads as follows:

While Central Park has committed to reversing this casting decision, members of the creative team defended the decision to cast Bell as a Black character as recently as January of this year. At a TCA panel in January 2020, creator Loren Bouchard said that “Kristen needed to be Molly, like we couldn’t not make her Molly. But then we couldn’t make Molly white and we couldn’t make Kristen mixed race, so we just had to go forward.” By “go forward” did Bouchard mean not address the issue until a similar situation befell another animated series and the whole thing became optically too big to ignore? Because that’s what it looks like. Online campaigns have already begun popping up to suggest Black actresses to replace both Slate and Bell. Black female-identifying comedic actresses start practicing your character voice because your time is now.

Big Mouth’s Missy Finds Her Voice
By Jourdain Searles
Big Mouth returns December 4 on Netflix.
aa550734c44298168668d3338a5c555755-30-big-mouth-missy.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Missy Foreman-Greenwald Photo: Courtesy of Netflix
When we meet 13-year-old Missy Foreman-Greenwald in season one of the Netflix animated series Big Mouth, she’s a shrinking violet who still talks to her stuffed animals. She loves her friends, science fiction, Nathan Fillion, and her trademark overalls. She is Black and Jewish, but the question of her race rarely comes up. Last year, ahead of season four, the show’s writers began to develop a story line that would bring Missy’s identity to the fore for the first time. This, of course, posed a problem, as Missy was being voiced by a white actress and comedian, Jenny Slate.

Before the spring of 2020, the question of race in animation voice acting arose only occasionally in mainstream conversations. In his 2017 documentary, The Problem With Apu, Indian American comedian Hari Kondabolu critiqued The Simpsons and Hank Azaria for the show’s stereotypical Indian American character (Azaria left the role in February of this year). In 2018, BoJack Horseman creator Raphael Bob-Waksberg referred to having an all-white main voice cast as his show’s “original sin.” But when the Black Lives Matter movement returned to the public spotlight earlier this year in the wake of George Floyd’s murder, it instigated a deeper reckoning. Slate soon said she would be vacating her role. “At the start of the show, I reasoned with myself that it was permissible for me to play ‘Missy’ because her mom is Jewish and White — as am I. But ‘Missy’ is also Black, and Black characters on an animated show should be played by Black people,” she wrote in an Instagram post in June. Slate’s decision had a ripple effect. A few hours later, the Apple TV+ series Central Park announced that Kristen Bell would no longer be the voice of Molly, also a biracial character. Family Guy soon followed.

In August, it was announced that Slate would be replaced by Ayo Edebiri, an actress and comedian who will make her first foray into voice work with Big Mouth. “I didn’t know how to break into that space at all,” says Edebiri, a stand-up known for her nerdy style and playful Twitter presence, who had also recently been hired to write for Big Mouth. “My perception of voice acting was Cree Summer and Phil LaMarr for Black people, and then Beyoncé and Rihanna come in when people want them.” The show’s co-creators — Nick Kroll, Andrew Goldberg, Mark Levin, and Jennifer Flackett — conducted a wide search, which included some actresses who posted their auditions directly to Twitter and Instagram. “We brought in a few of them, but we loved Ayo. She really was Missy,” says Kroll. Edebiri also felt a connection to the character. “I was a weird Black girl,” she says. “I still am. But growing up, if you get told your interests are weird or not Black enough, you internalize that. I had to learn how to own those sides of myself to whoever was questioning it.”

While the show’s recasting was spurred by a national conversation, it wasn’t exactly a knee-jerk reaction. By season four, having Slate in the role was becoming increasingly uncomfortable to square with the stories the writers wanted to tell. “We were already struggling with how to tell Missy’s stories with Jenny in the role as we dug more into her racial identity,” Kroll says. Based on the childhoods of its creators, Big Mouth centers on a group of preteens in the New York suburbs. The show’s brilliance — and it is brilliant — lies in its frankness about puberty, sex, and sexuality, which balances emotion with childish vulgarity. The show has expanded its purview since the first season, adding more writers from diverse backgrounds — including Jak Knight, Jaboukie Young-White, Brandon Kyle Goodman, and Edebiri — and giving its marginalized characters interesting arcs about identity and belonging. According to Kroll, this has been a gradual learning experience. “Our writers really have been engines pushing us to tell more nuanced stories about identity,” he says. “We realized this is a show about different kids, all with their own personal journeys with puberty.”

In 2019, as the writers began to outline season four, it became clear that racial identity was an integral part of that journey for Missy. “I came in and said from the beginning that race is a part of puberty,” says Goodman. “Especially if you’re like Missy and you’re in predominantly white spaces where you’re like, Oh, I’m Black. I’m different from my white classmates.” Missy’s parents shied away from tough conversations around race. “[She] has grown up in a bi-racial household and has been told, ‘We don’t see race,’ ” Kroll says. “And then, all of a sudden, she’s beginning to figure out things for herself.” Early in the upcoming season, when one of Missy’s Black cousins outright tells her, “Your parents haven’t let you be Black,” Missy’s head (literally) explodes. One of the most crucial episodes of the season, “A Very Special 9/11 Episode,” centers around Missy learning about code-switching and the different ways Black people change their behavior in certain situations to blend in and survive. “I’m really struggling with my racial identity right now,” Missy says in the episode, written before Slate’s departure. “My mom’s white, my dad’s Black, I’m voiced by a white actress who’s 37 years old.”

Kroll emphasizes that it was Slate who came to the show’s creators with concerns about continuing to play Missy, not the other way around. (“I think there are misconceptions with people online being like, ‘Why did you fire Jenny?’ ” he says.) After consulting with some of the Black writers on the show, they quickly agreed that it was time to recast the character. But along with the story, most of the voice recording and animation for season four had already been finalized by the time Edebiri came onboard. “We were trying to figure out how to, in the middle of a pandemic, rerecord an entire season with a new actor,” Kroll says. “Which also felt like a disservice to Ayo to then have to come in and basically have to match everything that we already had recorded with Jenny.”

Originally, they had planned to save the voice change for season five because of the production challenges, but, in the end, they decided to rerecord the penultimate episode of season four, “Horrority House.” Because Missy’s arc is so tied to race, the episodes leading up to it almost become a meta-narrative on why the show couldn’t continue with Slate in the role. In “A Very Special 9/11 Episode,” for example, it’s Slate’s voice that first begins to practice code-switching. Whether Edebiri arrives too late in the season narratively, Kroll says, is up for debate among viewers. But he emphasizes that they chose to bring her in at a place that felt organic to the story they were telling. “The switch happens when Missy has come to terms with who she is,” Kroll says. Missy has gotten rid of her overalls, she’s gotten braids, and she’s trying to figure out what parts of her old self to keep.

When the change happens, the differences are subtle. “Jenny and I have pretty similar speaking voices and inflections,” Edebiri says. “I don’t know if that’s because we’re both anxious women from Massachusetts.” She keeps Missy’s original vocal cadence while adding an air of casual maturity. Missy feels different, but not completely. There’s something poetic about her voice being introduced this way, as she releases all her baggage to make room for a more realized self. Edebiri points out that most of the other actors’ voices are closer to the characters they play. “Nick is kind of Nick’s speaking voice,” she explains, adding that Missy is now “within that more mature place a lot of the other main characters get to live in, too.” She likens it to how a child actor might be recast on a long-running sitcom. “They would find somebody else if that kid started going through puberty. I just think the context of this is what’s a little bit … different,” she says, laughing.

ef0fa7a8a543ccf62739c83a52010705af-30-big-mouth-jenny-slate.rhorizontal.w700.jpg
7eca5d37b0748c96a4cbfa66789a08d07d-30-big-mouth-missy-ayo-edebiri.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

From left: Jenny Slate, Ayo Edebiri Photo: Birdie Thompson/AdMedia via ZUMA Wire/Alamy Stock PhotoPhoto: Jason Smith/Everett Collection/Alamy Live News

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
George Clooney Says Riot Put Trump Family "Into the Dustbin of History"
5:46 PM PST 1/7/2021 by Trilby Beresford

george_clooney_-_getty_-_h_2020_-928x523.jpg

The actor commented on the violent scene at U.S. Capitol Hill during an upcoming episode of KCRW's 'The Business,' declaring "That name will now forever be associated with insurrection."

During an upcoming episode of KCRW's The Business weekly podcast, George Clooney commented briefly on the recent riots that took place at U.S. Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.

Referencing the way that pro-Trump supporters conducted themselves at the scene, Clooney told podcast host Kim Masters — who is The Hollywood Reporter's Editor-at-Large —"It's devastating to watch the people's house being desecrated in that way."

The Midnight Sky actor and director added, "But it is also a tremendous overreach in a way — everybody kept waiting for, what's the one thing, the straw that breaks the camel's back and it just seemed like that line just kept getting moved and moved and moved and outrage didn't even matter anymore, even to the point of calling the Secretary of State in Georgia and pressuring him. None of that seemed to matter. This mattered."
The actor went on to emphasize, "This puts Donald Trump, Donald Trump Jr. Ivanka, all of them, into the dustbin of history. That name will now forever be associated with insurrection." He then referenced how former White House Chief of Staff General Kelly said recently that if he was in the cabinet he would have voted for the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office. "This is a big, big difference," said Clooney. "If this is what it takes to set us on the right path, I think that, not that it's worth it, it's not worth it in any shape or form, but at least we should find something hopeful to come out of some of this disaster."

As the incident was taking place at the Capitol on Wednesday, Hollywood stars such as Sacha Baron Cohen, Ben Stiller, Sarah Silverman, Josh Gad and Cynthia Nixon took to social media to weigh in and call for immediate action to be taken. Tech companies including Facebook, Twitter and Twitch responded by temporarily freezing his accounts in the wake of the chaos.

On Thursday, former First Lady Michelle Obama released a lengthy statement, in which she expressed concern for the state of extremism and security in the U.S. "Now is the time for those who voted for this president to see the reality of what they’ve supported — and publicly and forcefully rebuke him and the actions of that mob," said Obama.

The full episode of KCRW's The Business with Clooney will post on Jan. 15.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Disney CEO Bob Chapek Denounces “Inexcusable Assault” Of Violent Attack On U.S. Capitol
By Alexandra Del Rosario
Alexandra Del Rosario
Associate Editor/Nights & Weekends
@_amvdrMore Stories By Alexandra
AP Images
Disney CEO Bob Chapek condemned the violent act of rioters at the U.S. Capitol, noting that Wednesday’s unprecedented fatal events marked “a sad and tragic day for our country, one unlike any other in our history.”

“What we saw was an egregious and inexcusable assault on America’s most revered institution and our democracy,” the Disney boss said in a statement, posted on the Walt Disney Company’s official Twitter. “Thankfully, the democratic process that we hold dearly ultimately prevailed.”
On Wednesday hundreds of Donald Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol seeking to interrupt Congress’ joint session to certify the Electoral College votes. The disruptive and violent acts resulted in four deaths.

Like many who condemned the attack on the U.S. Capitol, Chapek called for unity and kindness amid the unrest.

“We should seize this opportunity, and move ahead with optimism and hope for a better, brighter future for all of America,” he wrote.
Chapek joins a number of industry figures who have called out the injustice of the Wednesday violence in the nation’s capital. See more reactions, from Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans and more, here.

See the Disney CEO’s full statement below.

A message from CEO Bob Chapek pic.twitter.com/57W51qkM8j
— Walt Disney Company (@WaltDisneyCo) January 8, 2021

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

This is the ONLY way we can REALLY illicit change

make being a alt right racist trump supporter

UNCOOL

why you think Black Folk so damn gifted?

Because they ALL want OUR APPROVAL

even the WORST of them the ones that HATE us the most?

Still HUNGER for our acceptance

So the only way to put these devils in check?

Make being a a**hole uncool.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

George Clooney gets involved in George Floyd murder trial
George Floyd’s family lawyer Benjamin Crump says the actor reached out to him.
By
Joseph Guzman | April 9, 2021

Story at a glance
  • During an appearance on "The View," the lawyer said he and Clooney exchange emails from time to time as the 59-year-old actor is engaged in social justice matters.
  • Crump said Clooney explained how the prosecution could respond to Derek Chauvin’s defense lawyers’ suggestion that a drug overdose caused Floyd’s death.
  • Former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the death of Floyd.
Actor George Clooney has offered some blunt advice for the prosecution in the murder trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

George Floyd’s family lawyer Benjamin Crump on Wednesday revealed that the actor reached out to him via email this week as Chauvin’s trial played out.

America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.
During an appearance on "The View," the lawyer said he and Clooney exchange emails from time to time as the 59-year-old actor is engaged in social justice matters and wants his children “to live in a better world.”

Crump said Clooney explained how the prosecution could respond to Chauvin’s defense lawyers’ suggestion that a drug overdose caused Floyd’s death, and not the nearly 10 minutes that Chauvin knelt on Floyd’s neck.

“He says ‘Attorney Crump, you should tell them if Derek Chauvin feels so confident in that, he should volunteer during his case to get down on the floor in that courtroom, and let somebody come and put their knee on his neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds and be able to see if he can survive,’” Crump recalled of Clooney’s email.

A rep for the actor confirmed to Entertainment Tonight Thursday the actor did in fact send the message to Crump.

“The experts will opine during this case that the average human being can go without oxygen from 30 seconds to 90 seconds — where George Floyd went without oxygen for over 429 seconds, and that’s why it was intentional what this officer did,” Crump added.

“I believe in my heart...that he will be held criminally liable and it will hopefully set new precedents in America,” he said.

Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the death of Floyd. Floyd, a Black man, died in May 2020 after Chauvin placed his knee on Floyd’s neck while he pleaded with the officer that he could not breathe.

The incident was captured on video and sparked widespread protests against police brutality and racial inequality.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

George Clooney gets involved in George Floyd murder trial
George Floyd’s family lawyer Benjamin Crump says the actor reached out to him.
By
Joseph Guzman | April 9, 2021

Story at a glance
  • During an appearance on "The View," the lawyer said he and Clooney exchange emails from time to time as the 59-year-old actor is engaged in social justice matters.
  • Crump said Clooney explained how the prosecution could respond to Derek Chauvin’s defense lawyers’ suggestion that a drug overdose caused Floyd’s death.
  • Former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the death of Floyd.
Actor George Clooney has offered some blunt advice for the prosecution in the murder trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

George Floyd’s family lawyer Benjamin Crump on Wednesday revealed that the actor reached out to him via email this week as Chauvin’s trial played out.

America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.
During an appearance on "The View," the lawyer said he and Clooney exchange emails from time to time as the 59-year-old actor is engaged in social justice matters and wants his children “to live in a better world.”

Crump said Clooney explained how the prosecution could respond to Chauvin’s defense lawyers’ suggestion that a drug overdose caused Floyd’s death, and not the nearly 10 minutes that Chauvin knelt on Floyd’s neck.

“He says ‘Attorney Crump, you should tell them if Derek Chauvin feels so confident in that, he should volunteer during his case to get down on the floor in that courtroom, and let somebody come and put their knee on his neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds and be able to see if he can survive,’” Crump recalled of Clooney’s email.

A rep for the actor confirmed to Entertainment Tonight Thursday the actor did in fact send the message to Crump.

“The experts will opine during this case that the average human being can go without oxygen from 30 seconds to 90 seconds — where George Floyd went without oxygen for over 429 seconds, and that’s why it was intentional what this officer did,” Crump added.

“I believe in my heart...that he will be held criminally liable and it will hopefully set new precedents in America,” he said.

Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the death of Floyd. Floyd, a Black man, died in May 2020 after Chauvin placed his knee on Floyd’s neck while he pleaded with the officer that he could not breathe.

The incident was captured on video and sparked widespread protests against police brutality and racial inequality.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The fact that we have a video that clearly shows you how a man was murdered...

And muthafuckas are saying he died of an overdose..

And there are people out there that actually believe that shit..

That's what's pure

In fuckin sanity...

There is no way in hell any fucking jury

With a brain will find

That murdering pig innocent of murder..

That bitch needs to get double life..

For being such a cold hearted asshole.

And to send a message to the rest of the hired mercenaries...we call

Kkkops..let them know their time

Been up..they just

Ignoring the memo

To their demise

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You already know that grasping at straws to blame the black guy is white supremacy 101. All the evidence in the world doesn't mean anything to a racist.

I agree with everything you said...

Except the "white supremacy"

We must call it what it truly is..

Pink inferiority .

Supremacy doesn't need privilege...

It has no begining or no end

Them hybrid muthafuckas got a begining and an inevitable ending...

No matter how much they try to cover it

Up with plannedemics and other distractions

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich on Daunte Wright shooting: 'It just makes you sick to your stomach'
Mark Medina
USA TODAY

5ac9cdad-d96c-4893-b598-9dae12e24709-2021-04-12_Gregg_Popovich.jpg

For about 5½ minutes, San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich spoke while showing visible anger. He became increasingly frustrated as he processed a Minneapolis police officer fatally shooting Daunte Wright, an unarmed Black man during a traffic stop.

"It just makes you sick to your stomach. How many times does it have to happen?" Popovich said before the Spurs’ game against the Orlando Magic on Monday. "As sick to our stomachs that we might feel, that individual is dead. He’s dead. And his family is grieving. And his friends are grieving. And we just keep moving on as if nothing is happening."

Popovich talked in depth about the United States’ problems with racism, police brutality and school shootings, along with poignant criticism toward Republican legislators and former President Donald Trump.

"We see what’s happening with policing and Black men and some other people of color," Popovich said. "With the massacres of our children, it’s the same thing. It goes on and on, and everybody says, 'When is it going to be enough?' Of course, I don’t have those answers. But the people who continually fight to maintain that status quo are not good people."

Popovich described Texas Governor Greg Abbott as "deplorable" and "a liar" for various reasons, including his resistance to stricter gun laws, relaxing safety protocols to mitigate the coronavirus and perpetuating unfounded claims of fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

"Do these people have grandchildren? Do they want their grandchildren to go to work and go to school and go through these drills and worry about being murdered?" Popovich said. "What does it take? Then care more about them than your freaking power and your position and your donors. With policing, it’s the same damn way. How many young Black kids have to be killed for no freaking reason? How many so that we can empower the police units? We need to find out who funds these people. I want to know what owners in the NBA fund these people who perpetrate these lies. Maybe that’s a good place to start so it’s all transparent."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich
For the past year, the NBA and its players have become increasingly outspoken on systemic racism, including police brutality.

The Milwaukee Bucks staged a walkout before a playoff game against the Orlando Magic last summer in the NBA bubble a day after Kenosha, Wisconsin, police officers shot Jacob Blake seven times. The Minnesota Timberwolves and Brooklyn Nets also postponed their game on Monday. The NBA still hosted eight other games on Monday and has required players, coaches and team staff members to stand during the national anthem. Still, the Spurs and Magic locked arms during the national anthem before their game.

The NBA has also enabled its coaches and players to speak out on social justice issues. Philadelphia 76ers coach Doc Rivers, who is one of the league’s eight Black head coaches, has become one of the most outspoken.

"We keep hearing this cancel culture stuff, but we’re cancelling Black lives. To me, that’s more important in my opinion," Rivers said before Monday’s game against the Dallas Mavericks. "It just keeps happening. We keep making mistakes and killing Black people. I don’t want to get into race, but it’s there. I think we all have weaknesses. But I think we need to confront them and find out how we can make this place a better world and a better country. To me, improving our culture as a society is really important. Not cancelling it, but improving it. Other countries have done a terrific job."

Rivers then brought up how Germany enacted various reparation policies after the Nazi regime was defeated in World War II.

"You don’t see swastikas. You don’t see statues or Nazi soldiers all around," Rivers said. "They don’t say that’s cancel culture. They say that’s improving their culture. I think we need to think more in those terms."