Saturday Night Live adds a new white man & woman & an Asian - guess who is the racist? Shane Gillis UPDATE: NEW HOST!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Saturday Night Live Adds 3 New Cast Members for Season 45
By Megh Wright
12-snl-new-cast-members.w700.h467.jpg

SNL’s three newest cast members, from left, Chloe Fineman, Shane Gillis, and Bowen Yang. Photo: Courtesy of Saturday Night Live

The 45th season of Saturday Night Liveis set to premiere later this month, and while the cast will no longer feature Leslie Jones, it will feature two new faces, and a third who will be making a jump from the writing staff. The show just announced the three new featured players for the upcoming season are stand-up Shane Gillis, improviser Chloe Fineman, and SNL writer (and former Vulture contributor!) Bowen Yang.

First, let’s start off with the SNLer: Bowen Yang racked up an impressive list of hit sketches during his first year as awriter on the show, including the “Cheques” sketch with host Sandra Oh (co-written with Julio Torres) and the “GP Yass” sketch with host Steve Carell (co-written with James Anderson). He also appeared as Kim Jong-un in the “Kremlin Meeting” sketch alongside Sandra Oh:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqFzWxSCi39LnW1JKFR3efg?feature=embeds_subscribe_title

In addition to his work at SNL, Yang co-hosts the Las Culturistas podcast with Matt Rogers, but on Twitter he’s perhaps best known for being the best damn lip-sync impersonator ever.

New York–based stand-up Shane Gillis, meanwhile, was named a New Face at 2019’s Just For Laughs festival, as well as an “Up-Next” Comic at Comedy Central’s 2019 Clusterfest festival. He’s a regular on Big Jay Oakerson and Dan Soder’s Sirius XM show, The Bonfire. Check out some clips below:

Finally, Groundlings alum Chloe Fineman has appeared on shows like Search Party, Jane the Virgin, Mozart in the Jungle, and Grown-ish and was named a New Face at Just For Laughs in 2018. She’s very, very good at celebrity impersonations, including Melania Trump and Marianne Williamson:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
New SNL cast member Shane Gillis uses racial slur in resurfaced podcast clip

By Rachel Yang
September 12, 2019 at 08:08 PM EDT
FBTwitter

JEFF KRAVITZ/FILMMAGIC

Saturday Night Live
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
On the same day Saturday Night Live announced its first Asian cast member in years, a video from 2018 resurfaced that shows another new addition to the show, Shane Gillis, making racist jokes about Chinese people.

“Chinatown’s f—ing nuts,” Gillis says in the clip. “Let the f—ing chinks live there, huh?” He goes on to adopt a stereotypical Chinese accent.

The clip was resurfaced by comedy journalist Seth Simons on Twitter and hails from a September 2018 episode of Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast, recorded with fellow comedian Matt McCusker. According to Simons, the YouTube page for the episode has been taken down.

Representatives for Gillis and Saturday Night Live did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment.

Seth Simons

✔@sasimons

https://twitter.com/sasimons/status/1172257211697025025

today SNL announced the hiring of its first cast member of East Asian descent, and also this guy

5:14 PM - Sep 12, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,751 people are talking about this

PAID CONTENT
Teach them with love

Rice Krispies Treats make the word of the day a treat. Bonus points if they use it in a sentence.

From Rice Krispies Treats
In the video, Gillis’ remarks come in response to a rant by McCusker about the New York City neighborhood. “I wonder how [Chinatown] started,” McCusker says. “They built one f—ed-up-looking building and people were like, ‘All right, no one said anything?’”

Gillis goes on to talk about dining in Chinese restaurants. “It’s full f—ing Chinese in there,” he says. “And the translation between you and the waiter is such a f—ing hassle, I’m pointing at it,” he says, before impersonating the waiter’s broken English.

Later in the podcast, Gillis says their conversation is “nice racism, good racism.”

Seth Simons

✔@sasimons

· 3h

Replying to @sasimons
(to clarify I mean the YouTube page; you can still find audio files here http://mattandshanessecret.libsyn.com/ )

Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast
Chronicle the rise of two great comics, Matt McCusker and Shane Gillis, and be swept away as they embark on their journey toward their utter domination of the comedy world.

mattandshanessecret.libsyn.com

Seth Simons

✔@sasimons

this, again, is from September 2018

5:40 PM - Sep 12, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

146 people are talking about this

As pointed out by Vulture, Gillis has a history of making offense remarks. In another podcast episode, he and McCusker make fun of Judd Apatow and Chris Gethard’s emotionally open style of comedy by calling them homophobic slurs and “f—ing gayer than ISIS.”

The co-owner of a comedy theater in Philadelphia, where Gillis was based through last year, told Vulture they ceased working with him “because of racist, homophobic, and sexist things he’s said on and offstage.”

Gillis is one of three new cast members added to SNL on Thursday, the others being Chloe Fineman and Bowen Yang. Yang, who is Chinese American, is the show’s first cast member of East Asian descent since Fred Armisen, who is a quarter Korean.

SNL returns Sept. 28 with host Woody Harrelson and musical guest Billie Eilish.

This article has been updated with new information.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
New SNL Hire Shane Gillis Has a History of Racist and Homophobic Remarks
By Megh Wright
12-shane-gillis.w330.h330.jpg

Shane Gillis. Photo: Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic for Clusterfest

Earlier today, Saturday Night Live announced three new cast members for the upcoming 45th season: improviser Chloe Fineman, stand-up Shane Gillis, and SNL writer Bowen Yang. Later in the day, however, a clip from Gillis’s podcast Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast wassurfaced on Twitter by freelance writer and comedy reporter Seth Simons. In it, Gillis and co-host Matt McCusker make a series of racist comments about Chinese people and use racist, mocking accents. Early in the first clip, Gillis says, while referring to Chinatown, “Why do the fucking ch*nks live there?” In another clip from the same episode, Gillis jokes about being annoyed by Asian people trying to learn English, adding, “Nice racism. Good racism.”

In the below clip from another episode, around the 12:00 mark, Gillis and McCusker chat about comedians who adopt a more confessional style, like Judd Apatow and Chris Gethard, and mock them using homophobic slurs, calling them “white f*ggot comics” and “fucking gayer than ISIS.” Earlier in the clip, around 2:20, the co-hosts rank how funny comedians are by race, gender, and sexual orientation. “White chicks are literally the bottom,” Gillis says. “Ali Wong is making it so Asian chicks are funnier than white chicks.”

The clips shared on Twitter are from a podcast episode released in September 2018, so unlike other Twitter comedian controversies, involving Trevor Noah and Melissa Villaseñor, which were over (mostly) old tweets, the resurfaced comments are all fairly new. Also unlike Noah and Villaseñor, Gillis seems to have anticipated that his past remarks would come back to haunt him, because all of the past episodes of Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast have been scrubbed from its YouTube channel.

It all raises the question: Did Saturday Night Live vet its new cast members? It’s 2019, so at this point, there’s really no excuse for this kind of slip-up. (Representatives for the show did not respond to a request for comment.) And while Gillis clearly put some effort into scraping his history from the internet beforehand, there’s an entire subreddit dedicated to his podcast that’s filled with homophobic slurs, even against current SNL writers, and it’s very easy to find on Google. Beyond that, sources in the Philadelphia comedy scene — where Gillis lived and performed from 2014 through last year — tell Vulture they were surprised to see the SNL casting news today given Gillis’s material. “Good Good Comedy Theatre stopped working with him within the past few years because of racist, homophobic, and sexist things he’s said on and offstage,” said Kate Banford, co-owner of the comedy theater. Another source added, “Just want to say as a comedian who came up in Philly comedy at the time Shane was blowing up, [it] was extremely discouraging! As a queer female-bodied comedian, a man using the language he did and got so much recognition for was really disheartening.”

Perhaps the most disheartening thing to come out of these resurfaced clips of Gillis’s homophobic and racist remarks, particularly against Asians, is how it stains what’s otherwise been a celebratory day for comedy fans excited to see Bowen Yang rise from SNL writer tocast member, considering both gay men and Asians have had next to no onscreen representation on the long-running NBC series. Unfortunately, Gillis’s apparent tendency to deliver racism and homophobia instead of jokes stole the spotlight.

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
Civil rights being dismantled

trump in office.

dems sitting on their hands

no clear candidate to dethrone the idiot in chief

clean drinking water for poor neighborhoods in the most powerful nation on the planet

people dying of treatable disease because of health insurance being a joke

I’m all things People should actually give a fuck about but don’t.

outrage culture is pointless. Comedians say naughty things? Gasp!

also fuck this cac idgaf about his ass it’s just the bull shit people care about is insane

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

trump in office.

clean drinking water for poor neighborhoods in the most powerful nation on the planet

also fuck this cac idgaf about his ass it’s just the hill shit people care about is insane

damn

SNL hasn't given us such a smart and biting social commentary in quite some time.

salute fam

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

trump in office.

also fuck this cac idgaf about his ass it’s just the bull shit people care about is insane
thats all fine and dandy as long as those two cacs weren't talking about black people like that...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And Asians care about Black people related issues?

tenor.gif

well, the point is if you're going to list a series of real issues as being more important than two white assholes spewing racist shit about a group becuz that racist shit is JUST JOKES by comedians...then its JUST JOKES by comedians and not very important when black people are the topic of that routine....riight???

otherwise, just be honest and say fuck those cacs and fuck those chinks... and don't bother using civil rights, trump and health care as a cover. That's all I'm sayin....

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

posting some typed up statement isn't the same or sincere... ever notice how people can do something effed up whether it's cussing you out, ranting at you or embarrassing you in public but when they want to apologize for it's on some behind closed doors/low profile/sneak-tip...

If you're truly sincere then do the apology the way you did the podcast - bold, brazen and open.

that's a life lesson my parents taught me: That's how you know if someone is TRULY sincere in what they say and mean...do the apology as openly as you did the offense.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Presidential Candidate Andrew Yang Doesn’t Think Shane Gillis Should Lose His SNL Job
By Devon Ivie@devonsaysrelax
14-shane.w330.h330.jpg

Photo: Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic for Clusterfest

Hours after SNL announced stand-up Shane Gillis was one of the three new cast members hired for the upcoming 45th season, a video surfaced on social media that showed Gillis using racist and homophobic language on his podcast as recently as September 2018. Upon further investigation, Vulture discovered Gillis has a long history of using such language in his podcast and stand-up routines, and Gillis proceeded to offer an apology “to anyone actually offended by anything I’ve said.” Now, Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang — whom Gillis referred to as a racial slur on his podcast earlier this year — is personally reaching out to Gillis in the hopes of discussing his comedic material.

“Shane, I prefer comedy that makes people think and doesn’t take cheap shots. But I’m happy to sit down and talk with you if you’d like,” Yang wrote. “For the record, I do not think he should lose his job. We would benefit from being more forgiving rather than punitive. We are all human.”

In the same statement that addressed his racial and homophobic remarks, Gillis insisted he wasn’t trying to insult anyone with his material. “I’m a comedian who pushes boundaries. I sometimes miss. If you go through my 10 years of comedy, most of it bad, you’re going to find a lot of bad misses,” he wrote. “My intention is never to hurt anyone but I am trying to be the best comedian I can be and sometimes that requires risks.” SNL has yet to comment on whether Gillis’s past remarks will affect his employment.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I ain't never been a fan of SNL and I still don't watch that shit,it's boring,dry and unfunny.
I would rather watch old clips of skits from the 80's than to watch it now so adding a racist member isn't news to anyone.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Presidential Candidate Andrew Yang Doesn’t Think Shane Gillis Should Lose His SNL Job
14-shane.w330.h330.jpg

Hours after SNL announced stand-up Shane Gillis was one of the three new cast members hired for the upcoming 45th season, a video surfaced on social media that showed Gillis using racist and homophobic language on his podcast as recently as September 2018. Upon further investigation, Vulture discovered Gillis has a long history of using such language in his podcast and stand-up routines, and Gillis proceeded to offer an apology “to anyone actually offended by anything I’ve said.” Now, Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang — whom Gillis referred to as a racial slur on his podcast earlier this year — is personally reaching out to Gillis in the hopes of discussing his comedic material.

“Shane, I prefer comedy that makes people think and doesn’t take cheap shots. But I’m happy to sit down and talk with you if you’d like,” Yang wrote. “For the record, I do not think he should lose his job. We would benefit from being more forgiving rather than punitive. We are all human.”

In the same statement that addressed his racial and homophobic remarks, Gillis insisted he wasn’t trying to insult anyone with his material. “I’m a comedian who pushes boundaries. I sometimes miss. If you go through my 10 years of comedy, most of it bad, you’re going to find a lot of bad misses,” he wrote. “My intention is never to hurt anyone but I am trying to be the best comedian I can be and sometimes that requires risks.” SNL has yet to comment on whether Gillis’s past remarks will affect his employment.

@Picasso @geechiedan

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
14-shane.w330.h330.jpg

That’s one of the lamest response or so called explanations I’ve ever heard.

Insert the word faggit or the Nword and it would’ve been a wrap for dude. Or would it?

And what he was doing was far from comedy so he shouldn’t use that as a crutch.

I ain't never been a fan of SNL and I still don't watch that shit,it's boring,dry and unfunny.
I would rather watch old clips of skits from the 80's than to watch it now so adding a racist member isn't news to anyone.

Agreed

That faggit’s running for president and wants to appease the masses, he wants to appears as friendly and easygoing as possible.

And yes I did use a gay slur in response to him speaking about a racial slur! :roflmao:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
f*ck 'em..

White some how some way made it WORSE with his apology

WTF?!?!?

If you aint learned in 2019 after all the OTHER missteps we witnessed.

You DESERVE to be cancelled at this point.

And his white privilege still doesn't allow him to see he did anything wrong, he still trying to say it was "Comedy" and that we all don't get it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
And his white privilege still doesn't allow him to see he did anything wrong, he still trying to say it was "Comedy" and that we all don't get it.

BOOM

So While I aint caping for the other groups if they aint repping for me?

I kinda understand why this one it was kinda good to see comedians of different colors going..

Yo see that there?

Aint cool.

As pollyanna as it is?

Man oh man IF we could EVER unify for ANYTHING...

We would be able to make a major difference.

The question is for SNL..

who you gonna hire NOW?

cause this would have been a PERFECT TIME to hire a HISPANIC cast member or a another BLACK PERSON.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BOOM

So While I aint caping for the other groups if they aint repping for me?

I kinda understand why this one it was kinda good to see comedians of different colors going..

Yo see that there?

Aint cool.

As pollyanna as it is?

Man oh man IF we could EVER unify for ANYTHING...

We would be able to make a major difference.

The question is for SNL..

who you gonna hire NOW?

cause this would have been a PERFECT TIME to hire a HISPANIC cast member or a another BLACK PERSON.

I'm not "Caping" for any group.

My thing was, if Kevin Hart had to give up the Oscar for ten year old tweets. Then Shane should be fired for less than a year old racial slurs.

Change "Chinks" to "Faggits" or the Nword. Where's the joke, that's not "Comedy".