Saturday Night Live adds a new white man & woman & an Asian - guess who is the racist? Shane Gillis UPDATE: NEW HOST!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'm not "Caping" for any group.

My thing was, if Kevin Hart had to give up the Oscar for ten year old tweets. Then Shane should be fired for less than a year old racial slurs.

Change "Chinks" to "Faggits" or the Nword. Where's the joke, that's not "Comedy".

that wasn't directed at you.

It was actually directed at myself.

as I said I agree with you 100%

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Joe rogan said shit twenty times worse and it was exposed and nobody batted an eye......

I could never take him seriously

And he reminds me of how well pussy ass pink toes like him an Justine beaver...

Can switch up and pretend their racism was a thing of the past..

kidmegaii

Medium well
BGOL Investor
BOOM

So While I aint caping for the other groups if they aint repping for me?

I kinda understand why this one it was kinda good to see comedians of different colors going..

Yo see that there?

Aint cool.

As pollyanna as it is?

Man oh man IF we could EVER unify for ANYTHING...

We would be able to make a major difference.

The question is for SNL..

who you gonna hire NOW?

cause this would have been a PERFECT TIME to hire a HISPANIC cast member or a another BLACK PERSON.
George Lopez Hispanic or Pitbull Hispanic

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
SNL Fires New Cast Member Shane Gillis
By Megh Wright@megh_wright
16-shane-gillis.w330.h330.jpg

Shane Gillis. Photo: Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic for Clusterfest

Less than a week after Saturday Night Live announced its three new cast members, one of them has already been fired from the show following a controversy surrounding his recent racist and homophobic remarks. Last week, clips began to circulate of new featured player Shane Gillis on his podcast, in which he made multiple racist statements about Asians and also used homophobic slurs. Gillis later posted a statement about it on Twitter, saying, “I’m a comedian who pushes boundaries. I sometimes miss … I’m happy to apologize to anyone who’s actually offended by anything I’ve said. My intention is never to hurt anyone but I am trying to be the best comedian I can be and sometimes that requires risks.”

An SNL spokesperson on behalf of Lorne Michaels released a statement today, revealing that the show has decided to part ways with Gillis ahead of next week’s season premiere:

After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining SNL.

We want SNL to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as comedian and his impressive audition for SNL. We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard.

Following the news, Gillis posted another statement on Twitter. “It feels ridiculous for comedians to be making serious public statements but here we are. I’m a comedian who was funny enough to get SNL. That can’t be taken away,” he wrote. “Of course I wanted an opportunity to prove myself at SNL, but I understand it would be too much of a distraction. I respect the decision they made. I’m honestly grateful for the opportunity. I was always a mad tv guy anyway.”

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Joe rogan said shit twenty times worse and it was exposed and nobody batted an eye......

I could never take him seriously

And he reminds me of how well pussy ass pink toes like him an Justine beaver...

Can switch up and pretend their racism was a thing of the past..
He did? He’s made “jokes”calling people chinks? When? This cac wasn’t even making a joke he sounds mad just ranting about Asians

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He did? He’s made “jokes”calling people chinks? When? This cac wasn’t even making a joke he sounds mad just ranting about Asians

Nah rogan went full racist pink toe..

Talking about going to a movie theatre that was in the hood
.and his monkey ass referred to the people in the theatre as apes...

He sounded just like a typical internet racetard..how he continues to get a pass for that shit is mind boggling

He aint even offer an apology.. Even that lol Nazi bitch jistin beaver issued a bullshit apology..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/16/arts/television/shane-gillis-snl.html

Shane Gillis Dropped From ‘S.N.L.’ Cast Amid Criticism of Racist Slurs
A few days after Gillis was named to the cast, the show said that he would not stay on, and that it had been unaware of his offensive remarks.

merlin_160676433_a9cf856d-fd1b-482e-acb6-de1234de6bfe-articleLarge.jpg

merlin_160676433_a9cf856d-fd1b-482e-acb6-de1234de6bfe-articleLarge.jpg

Shane Gillis was dropped from the “Saturday Night Live” cast on Monday, just a few days after he had been named to it, because of offensive remarks that came to light.CreditCreditPhil Provencio

By Dave Itzkoff

• Published Sept. 16, 2019Updated Sept. 17, 2019, 1:41 a.m. ET
Shane Gillis, a comedian named last week to the “Saturday Night Live” cast before videos surfaced in which he used slurs and offensive language, will not be joining the show, the program announced on Monday.

“After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining ‘S.N.L.,’” a spokesperson for the show said in a statement on behalf of Lorne Michaels, the show’s creator and longtime executive producer.

“We want ‘S.N.L.’ to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as a comedian and his impressive audition for ‘S.N.L.,’” the statement continued. “The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard.”

Gillis, 31, came under fire just a few hours after he and two new cast members — one of them Bowen Yang, the show’s first Chinese-American — were named for the coming season. A journalist unearthed a video of a podcast in which Gillis used a slur in referring to Chinese people and mocked a caricature accent of a Chinese person speaking English.

Create an account or log in

On Friday, Vice News uncovered another podcast in which Gillis used the slur, this time prefaced by the word “Jew,” in referring to the Democratic presidential candidates Andrew Yang and Senator Bernie Sanders. Later in the podcast, which was broadcast this past May, he acknowledged the toxicity of his language, describing himself and others he was bantering with as “fat ugly idiots promoting hate.”

After “S.N.L.” announced his departure, Gillis said in a statement posted to his Twitter account that he respected the show’s decision and understood that his presence there “would be too much of a distraction.”

Demi Moore Lets Her Guard Down

New Hope, New Pain, Same Old Divorce

Dior Finally Says No to Sauvage

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’m a comedian who was funny enough to get to ‘S.N.L.’,” he wrote. “That can’t be taken away.”

Gillis added, “I was always a mad tv guy anyway,” referring to the rival sketch show, whose original run ended in 2009.

Shane Gillis@Shanemgillis

4:11 PM - Sep 16, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

7,775 people are talking about this

While “Saturday Night Live” frequently makes changes to its cast from year to year, and has sometimes dropped multiple performers from its roster in efforts to revitalize itself creatively, it does not often cut cast members before the end of a season, let alone before their names are even announced once in the opening credits.

Gillis, a native of Mechanicsburg, Pa., has been a rising star in comedy, performing in major clubs in New York, Los Angeles and elsewhere. Two clubs in Philadelphia, however, said they had stopped working with him because of jokes that were, as one of the clubs put it, “racist, misogynistic, xenophobic and homophobic.”

“Saturday Night Live” acknowledged in its statement on Monday that its vetting of new talent had fallen short in this instance, but the program did not explain what, if any, measures it had taken to survey Gillis’s past professional history or online footprint before he was hired.

The controversy surrounding Gillis reflects an ongoing debate in comedy over whether performers should be punished for offensive language in their acts and on social media. Andrew Yang himself, while condemning the remarks, said he did not believe Gillis should be fired, and offered to “sit down and talk” with him. (On Monday, Yang said on Twitter: “Shane Gillis reached out. Looks like we will be sitting down together soon.”)

The former “S.N.L.” cast member Rob Schneider portrayed Gillis as a victim of political correctness, calling him a casualty of an era when “comedic misfires are subject to the intolerable inquisition of those who never risked bombing on stage themselves.”

But many comedians, “S.N.L.” fans and others considered Gillis’s remarks far outside the bounds of acceptability and said that keeping him on the show would be an affront.

“Gillis built his career on hate mongering,” Min Jin Lee, a Korean-American author and National Book Award finalist, wrote on Twitter. “To reward it by giving him a job at an American cultural cornerstone would pose a serious moral hazard.”

In recent years, protests of comedians’ tweets and other online posts have led to tangible consequences, at “S.N.L.” and elsewhere.

The comedian Kevin Hart stepped down in December as host of the 2019 Academy Awards, amid criticism of his past tweets and remarks that were considered homophobic. In 2017, “S.N.L.” suspended a writer, Katie Rich, after she tweeted an offensive joke about President Trump’s son Barron during the presidential inauguration ceremony.

“S.N.L.” has been criticized over the years for its lack of diversity, and even mocked itself in its own comedy sketches for not having enough performers to impersonate nonwhite celebrities and political figures.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Shane Gillis performs first stand-up set after Saturday Night Live fracas

By Christian Holub
September 19, 2019 at 12:32 PM EDT
FBTwitter

JEFF KRAVITZ/FILMMAGIC

Saturday Night Live
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
It’s been an eventful week for comedian Shane Gillis. Last Thursday, it was announced he would be joining the cast of Saturday Night Live for its upcoming 45th season, alongside Bowen Yang and Chloe Fineman. Mere hours later, Twitter users unearthed clips from his podcast where he used racist and homophobic slurs. By Monday, SNL had announced that it was firing Gillis before his first episode. But Gillis is still a working comedian of course, and on Wednesday night performed his first stand-up set in New York City since the drama began.

As reported by both Variety and USA Today, Gillis did not shy away from discussing his SNL saga in the set.

“Everybody’s been like, you can’t say s— and not expect consequences,” Gillis said, per Variety. “I’m fine with the consequences. I’m not arguing. F— it. But I do want everyone to know that I’ve been reading every one of my death threats in an Asian accent.”

PAID CONTENT
No Contracts. Ever.

Say yes to wireless freedom when you switch to SIMPLE Mobile. Shop plans.

From Simple Mobile
According to Variety‘s earlier reporting, Gillis’ casting was a result of Lorne Michaels and the SNL team “actively looking to cast a comedian for its new season who would appeal to more conservative viewers.” In the Wednesday night set, Gillis also addressed notions of his possible affinity for President Donald Trump.

“As soon as they decide you’re a bad guy, you’re just alt-right now or something,” USA Today reported Gillis saying. “For real, though, I did not vote for Donald Trump. Look at me: I didn’t, but that was tough. His whole campaign was at me. ‘Are you a fat idiot?’ ‘Yeah dude, what’re we doing?'”

But Gillis added, “I don’t want you to think I’m too pro-Trump,” and joked, “I will say this: Of all the presidents I’ve been alive for, Trump would definitely be the funniest one to see get shot.”

Season 45 of SNL kicks off Sept. 28 with an episode hosted by Woody Harrelson.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Lol comedians are becoming as unbearable as these cancel culture extremists with the knee jerk apologism for garbage, hacky racist jokes/comedians. I listened to the shit he was fired for. It was fucking embarrassingly shitty. Where was the comedy? I mean, that convo sounded straight up hateful but also incredibly corny. It's the kind of shit you'd expect to hear at a dive bar serving vets from the Korean War. I was waiting for these dudes to start reading from one of those "how many Polacks does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" jokebooks.

I get it, folks are too sensitive sometimes but I swear all the handwringing from comics is getting lame af. No need to defend this clown :smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Shane Gillis performs first stand-up set after Saturday Night Live fracas

By Christian Holub
September 19, 2019 at 12:32 PM EDT
FBTwitter

JEFF KRAVITZ/FILMMAGIC

Saturday Night Live
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
It’s been an eventful week for comedian Shane Gillis. Last Thursday, it was announced he would be joining the cast of Saturday Night Live for its upcoming 45th season, alongside Bowen Yang and Chloe Fineman. Mere hours later, Twitter users unearthed clips from his podcast where he used racist and homophobic slurs. By Monday, SNL had announced that it was firing Gillis before his first episode. But Gillis is still a working comedian of course, and on Wednesday night performed his first stand-up set in New York City since the drama began.

As reported by both Variety and USA Today, Gillis did not shy away from discussing his SNL saga in the set.

“Everybody’s been like, you can’t say s— and not expect consequences,” Gillis said, per Variety. “I’m fine with the consequences. I’m not arguing. F— it. But I do want everyone to know that I’ve been reading every one of my death threats in an Asian accent.”

PAID CONTENT
No Contracts. Ever.

Say yes to wireless freedom when you switch to SIMPLE Mobile. Shop plans.

From Simple Mobile
According to Variety‘s earlier reporting, Gillis’ casting was a result of Lorne Michaels and the SNL team “actively looking to cast a comedian for its new season who would appeal to more conservative viewers.” In the Wednesday night set, Gillis also addressed notions of his possible affinity for President Donald Trump.

“As soon as they decide you’re a bad guy, you’re just alt-right now or something,” USA Today reported Gillis saying. “For real, though, I did not vote for Donald Trump. Look at me: I didn’t, but that was tough. His whole campaign was at me. ‘Are you a fat idiot?’ ‘Yeah dude, what’re we doing?'”

But Gillis added, “I don’t want you to think I’m too pro-Trump,” and joked, “I will say this: Of all the presidents I’ve been alive for, Trump would definitely be the funniest one to see get shot.”

Season 45 of SNL kicks off Sept. 28 with an episode hosted by Woody Harrelson.

@godofwine

What you think of this?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
LiMu Emu & Doug
February 24, 2024

Supposedly this did not air on SNL this past Saturday cuz they ran out of time.

It’s slowly going viral when they released it on YouTube. They might air this coming weekend.

they really should have aired this.