Sports Health: NFL teams will forfeit games, player pay if they can’t play due to COVID-19 (vaccination) UPDATE: Protocols dropped!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

NFL teams will forfeit games, player pay if they can’t play due to COVID-19
The NFL has finalized a COVID-19 policy for the 2021 season. It’s putting the onus on teams to get their players vaccinated.
By Collin Sherwin@CollinSherwin Jul 22, 2021, 10:40am PDT
Photo by Timothy T Ludwig/Getty Images

The NFL made an important announcement on Thursday that appears designed to increase the amount of vaccinated NFL players. The league announced that teams which are unable to play games due to COVID-19 outbreaks among unvaccinated players will forfeit games that can’t be rescheduled within the 18-week regular season.

In addition, players on BOTH teams won’t be paid for games that aren’t played as well. So even if it’s the other team’s fault that a game is not being played, players on both teams will be punished. It seems a good bet that peer pressure will work to boost the vaccination rate across the league.

Some key takeaways:

“We do not anticipate adding a 19th week to accommodate games that cannot be rescheduled.”

“If a game is cancelled and cannot be rescheduled within the current 18-week schedule due to a Covid outbreak, neither team’s players will receive their weekly paragraph 5 salary.”

This appears to be Commissioner Roger Goodell pointing a gun at the 32 franchises and saying “get the vaccine, or get some problems.” This should ratchet up the peer pressure in locker rooms with teammates holding each other accountable for their status. At same time, it’s unclear how the specific part about forfeiting player pay would hold up before an arbitrator.

The Colts and the Washington Football Team are the two worst franchises in terms of vaccination rates, with both clubs under 50% as of last week. There are also a cadre of outspoken players, such as Bills wide receiver Cole Beasley, who have publicly stated their aversion to receiving the shots that have been proven safe and effective in guarding against severe COVID-19 symptoms for those vaccinated.

Sango

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Oh well. Not enough. Add fines so these dudes end up unemployed and blackballed. It's not like Kaepernick didn't get that treatment for speaking up for our collective rights.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
COVID is now a punishable offense.

giphy.gif

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
washington edge rusher Montez Sweat spoke out against the vaccine...so here we go:smh:
always some reason why i cannot see my squad at full strength.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Rick Dennison out as Minnesota Vikings assistant after refusing COVID-19 vaccine, sources say

• Courtney CroninESPN Staff Writer
EAGAN, Minn. -- After refusing to receive a vaccine for COVID-19, Rick Dennison is out as a Minnesota Vikings assistant coach, sources told ESPN on Friday.
Dennison had served as the Vikings' offensive line coach/run game coordinator the past two seasons. In a statement Friday, the Vikings said they were still in discussions with Dennison about the league's COVID-19 protocols.

Another coach in the league, New England Patriots co-offensive line coach Cole Popovich, also won't be with his team in 2021 in a decision related to the COVID-19 vaccine and NFL guidelines, league sources confirmed to ESPN.
The vaccine is required for all Tier 1 staff, including coaches, front-office executives, equipment managers and scouts. Players are not required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine but will face strict protocols during training camp and throughout the season that vaccinated players will be able to forgo.
In a memo released by the league this summer, the NFL said any unvaccinated Tier 1 staff member must provide a valid religious or medical reason for not receiving the vaccine. Losing Tier 1 status prohibits coaches from being on the field and in meeting rooms and having direct interactions with players.

The Vikings noted in their statement that Dennison does not have a vaccination exemption.

Phil Rauscher has been promoted from assistant offensive line coach to fill Dennison's position, sources told ESPN. The Vikings also hired Ben Steele, who had recently been hired by Auburn as a special teams analyst, to fill the position Rauscher had held since 2019.

Dennison's departure comes at a time of transition for the Vikings' offense, which will be guided by first-year offensive coordinator Klint Kubiak. Kubiak, 34, was promoted to fill the role his father, Gary, held in Minnesota during the 2020 season.

With 27 years of NFL coaching experience, Dennison was considered a vital piece in helping bridge the gap for the younger Kubiak, given his experience calling run plays and knowledge of the scheme the Vikings have used since the 2019 season.

The Vikings were one of the league's prominent running teams in 2020 behind Dalvin Cook, who became the first Minnesota player to rush for at least 1,500 yards and 15 touchdowns in a season. Cook was responsible for 30.5% of the Vikings' scrimmage yards, the second-highest rate in the NFL behind Tennessee's Derrick Henry (33.8), according to ESPN Stats & Information data.

In New England, Popovich coached with the Patriots through the spring, and his on-field presence stood out, in part, as he was one of the only staffers to wear a mask during practice.

Popovich, who is distantly related to longtime San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich but said in September that he has never met him, was set to enter his seventh season with the Patriots. In 2020, he had shared the offensive line duties with longtime former Youngstown State offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo, who is now expected to take on more of a leading role.

The Boston Globe first reported that Popovich wouldn't be coaching with the Patriots in 2021.

Dennison, 63, worked with Gary Kubiak for more than three decades in Denver (1995-2009, 2015-16), Houston (2010-13) and Baltimore (2014). Before joining the Vikings in 2019, Dennison served as offensive line coach/run game coordinator for the New York Jets in 2018.

Rauscher is entering his seventh season as a coach in the NFL after joining the Vikings in 2020. He coached with Dennison on the Broncos staff during the 2015 and 2016 seasons and was Washington's offensive line coach in 2019.

Steele was on several NFL rosters as a tight end from 2001 to 2007, including in Houston under Gary Kubiak. He began working in the NFL in 2013 as an offensive quality control coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a position he held until 2016. Steele was later promoted to tight ends coach for the Buccaneers before moving to the Atlanta Falcons, where he was an offensive assistant in 2019 and tight ends coach in 2020. He was hired by Auburn earlier this year.

The Vikings will hold their first training camp practice Wednesday.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
COVID is now a punishable offense.

giphy.gif
Not being vaccinated is and it should be. How the fuck are teams required all media staff who covers the team to be fully vaccinated but not the players themselves? That makes no fuckin sense. Either get vaccinated or run the risk of losing a game check if you end up in Covid protocol.

jxkmrn.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
T.J. Ward chastises Ron Rivera for wanting his players to get vaccinated
Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2021, 6:14 AM EDT

Getty Images
Washington coach Ron Rivera survived cancer last year. With so many of his players refusing to get vaccinated against COVID, Rivera (who is at risk of serious complications given his cancer battle), is understandably frustrated. Former NFL safety T.J. Ward expressed no sympathy for Rivera on social media.

“Just park the Riverboat,” Ward said. “His health is beyond that of COVID. Maybe it’s time to let it go. Don’t blame the players for your life long health decisions.”

200.gif

Cancer, Dr. Ward, isn’t an STD. In many instances, it’s genetic. While some behaviors increase the risk for certain types of cancers, the idea that sympathy for cancer patients should be tempered because it’s their fault is offensive to many.

Ward had more.

“At some point you gotta pay for them vices,” he said. “Cancer runs in my family like many American families. But also bad diets and cigarettes do as well. Except responsibility. Don’t blame and be disappointed in your 23 year olds cus they have they own bodies and opinions about their health.”

tenor.gif

Ward later deleted those tweets and added a new thread.

“Gonna address this one time more,” Ward said. “I was not trying be insensitive to anyone effected by the cancer. I know you don’t chose to get cancer. And I tried to clear that up. If you know me and my career you know what my support is for cancer people dealing with it. I’ve been effected myself closely. I didn’t mean to offend you. God bless.”

It’s just another example of the strong feelings that are making it hard if not impossible for some teams to get all players to get vaccinated.
Whenever a strong argument for getting the vaccine is made, there always will be a way (clumsy or otherwise) to turn the tables in order to justify the persist refusal to do what everyone should do.

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor