The Return of Ta-Nehisi Coates: A decade after “The Case for Reparations,” he is ready to take on Israel, Palestine, and the American media

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Excellent interview with Jon Stewart on the The Daily Show.

I just watched this.

I disagreed with Coates here:

"There is great not always spoken shame in the Black community over the kind of physical traumas we've endured. You gotta understand, man, every single one of us, every single African-American, is a child of sexual violence. All of us. All of us. There is not a single pure African-American who came through slavery. There is an amount of humiliation in that."

He then takes it to the 60s which I think is a better point but:

#1. Nobody on earth is pure.

#2. Rape doesn't make a child impure and it certainly doesn't mark all future descendants until the end of time.

Does anyone agree with Coates? Stewart did but I think it is a flawed perspective. I get it but I think it's absurd to say every African-American (or every ADOS) "is a child of sexual violence."

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just watched this.

I disagreed with Coates here:

"There is great not always spoken shame in the Black community over the kind of physical traumas we've endured. You gotta understand, man, every single one of us, every single African-American, is a child of sexual violence. All of us. All of us. There is not a single pure African-American who came through slavery. There is an amount of humiliation in that."

He then takes it to the 60s which I think is a better point but:

#1. Nobody on earth is pure.

#2. Rape doesn't make a child impure and it certainly doesn't mark all future descendants until the end of time.

Does anyone agree with Coates? Stewart did but I think it is a flawed perspective. I get it but I think it's absurd to say every African-American (or every ADOS) "is a child of sexual violence."

If not directly, then indirectly so.

Were all the women R worded? No

Were all the bucks "broken?" No

Were all of the slaves whipped or beaten? No

No, but the point was that if you make it violent, pronounced or traumatic enough then the message will spread to those that were spared.

So, to answer the question, no not "all" were made "impure."

But a significant number of them "got the message."

Sn: I also want to mention some were specifically targeted because of certain aspects of their "sex. A certain "buck" is forced to "breed" certain women..... or they are attacked physically/verbally because of certain traits they may have. " I include that in the sexual trauma category. "

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If not directly, then indirectly so.

Were all the women R worded? No

Were all the bucks "broken?" No

Were all of the slaves whipped or beaten? No

No, but the point was that if you make it violent, pronounced or traumatic enough then the message will spread to those that were spared.

So, to answer the question, no not "all" were made "impure."

But a significant number of them "got the message."

Sn: I also want to mention some were specifically targeted because of certain aspects of their "sex. A certain "buck" is forced to "breed" certain women..... or they are attacked physically/verbally because of certain traits they may have. " I include that in the sexual trauma category. "
Third Party Assault.