This person wants to link many of today’s issues back to a disastrous reagan policy. How far off is his assessment?

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

the funny thing is that i don’t think younger people - and i mean those under the age of 40 - really have a grasp on how many of today’s issues can be tied back to a disastrous reagan policy:
  1. war on drugs: reagan’s aggressive escalation of the war on drugs was a catastrophic policy, primarily targeting minority communities and fueling mass incarceration. the crusade against drugs was more about controlling the Black, Latino and Native communities than addressing the actual problems of drug abuse, leading to a legacy of broken families and systemic racism within the criminal justice system.
  2. deregulation and economic policies: reaganomics was an absolute disaster for the working class. reagan’s policies of aggressive tax cuts for the rich, deregulation, and slashing social programs were nothing less than class warfare, deepening income inequality and entrenching corporate greed. these types of policies were a clear message that reagan’s america was only for the wealthy elite and a loud “fuck you” to working americans.
  3. environmental policies: despite his reputation being whitewashed thanks to the recovery of the ozone layer, reagan’s environmental record was an unmitigated disaster. his administration gutted critical environmental protections and institutions like the EPA, turning a blind eye to pollution and corporate exploitation of natural resources. this blatant disregard for the planet was a clear sign of prioritizing short-term corporate profits over the future of the environment.
  4. AIDS crisis: reagan’s gross neglect of the aids crisis was nothing short of criminal and this doesn’t even begin to touch on his wife’s involvement. his administration’s indifference to the plight of the lgbtq+ community during this devastating epidemic revealed a deep-seated bigotry and a complete failure of moral leadership.
  5. mental health: reagan’s dismantling of mental health institutions under the guise of ‘reform’ led directly to a surge in homelessness and a lack of support for those with mental health issues. his policies were cruel and inhumane and showed a personality-defining callous disregard for the most vulnerable in society.
  6. labor and unions: reagan’s attack on labor unions, exemplified by his handling of the patco strike, was a blatant assault on workers’ rights. his actions emboldened corporations to suppress union activities, leading to a significant erosion of workers’ power and rights in the workplace. he was colloquially known as “Ronnie the Union Buster Reagan
  7. foreign policy and military interventions: reagan’s foreign policy, particularly in latin america, was imperialist and ruthless. his administration’s support for dictatorships and right-wing death squads under the guise of fighting “communism” showed a complete disregard for human rights and self-determination of other nations.
  8. public health: yes, reagan’s agricultural policies actually facilitated the rise of high fructose corn syrup, once again prioritizing corporate profits over public health. this shift in the food industry has had lasting negative impacts on health, contributing to the obesity epidemic and other health issues.
  9. privatization: reagan’s push for privatization was a systematic dismantling of public services, transferring wealth and power to private corporations and further eroding the public’s access to essential services.
  10. education policies: his approach to education was more of an attack on public education than anything else, gutting funding and promoting policies that undermined equal access to quality education. this was, again, part of a broader agenda to maintain a status quo where the privileged remain in power.
this is just what i could come up with in a relatively short time and i did not even live under this man’s presidency. the level at which ronald reagan has broken the united states truly can’t be overstated.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Millennial Ones and Elder Gen Z....Yes....Ive Had a Few Conversations With Some and They Circle in On the Reagan Years as Ground Zero as to Why They Can't Buy a House and Their Degrees Are Expensive Toilet Paper :lol:
Shid, that’s a lie

I’m sure ninajs I went to school with clueless to the fact and we’re true 80’s babies. It’s crazy how, I’ve learnt more off this site than in school.

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes, yes yes I’ll have been saying this on other political spots for the longest of times. Some of these older white people who are crying about things made their bed when they supported Reagan.
Reagan was loved by people like Gordan Gekko. He cut the taxes for them and screwed the poor and middle class. They all promised prosperity but kept the money for themselves.
bus_gekko_wallstreet.jpg

Last edited:

Dark19

Zod's Son
BGOL Investor
Shid, that’s a lie

I’m sure ninajs I went to school with clueless to the fact and we’re true 80’s babies. It’s crazy how, I’ve learnt more off this site than in school.
Think About It Tho.... When We Were in Our 20s We Knew About Stuff Like That 30-40 Years Before Us..... Like Dame Edna Hoover With COINTELPRO and Stuff Like That

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
THe tweet is 100% correct.

Also remember the people that tend to tweet about politics on Twitter are the ones that are into politics so that is probably why they know about Reagan.

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
Reagan was loved by people like Gordan Gekko. He cut the taxes for them and screwed the poor and middle class. They all promised prosperity but kept the money form themselves.
bus_gekko_wallstreet.jpg
To this day, Republicans still do this bullshit. I’m seeing a lot of older white peoples complaining about their money and pensions, and some of them came to a realization that Reagan fucked them over. This is why you have a lot of senior citizens going back into the workforce because they got screwed over by their dumb decisions back in the days. Dear older white people, Republicans screw you guys over.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Think About It Tho.... When We Were in Our 20s We Knew About Stuff Like That 30-40 Years Before Us..... Like Dame Edna Hoover With COINTELPRO and Stuff Like That
True, I can’t disagree with this

Them books been updated, shit we learnt in world history probably got removed 10 years ago

Last edited:

easy_b

BGOL Investor
its true

regan was the devil
Yep the only thing that stopped a lot of shit from going further into hell is the Democrats who was in charge of the US house throughout the Reagan years water down a few things so it wouldn’t be so so bad but the damage Reagan did was done. A lot of people have mixed feelings about Bill Clinton but I want to give him credit with credit due. He permitted some things that put everybody back on the right track in the 90s and then George W Bush happen and you all know the rest.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
If you let these cracKKKas tell it, regan was the best president ever. Even these poor white trash crackas says this. This generation of trump supporters tho, are beyond retarded. I just don't get it.
A lot of these white people are hanging on to White Hope this country demographics has changed and there’s nothing they could do about it. A lot of these white people still felt a little comfortable until Obama won twice and that when they realize oh shit :eek2: we don’t have as much power as we used to.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
A lot of these white people are hanging on to White Hope this country demographics has changed and there’s nothing they could do about it. A lot of these white people still felt a little comfortable until Obama won twice and that when they realize oh shit :eek2: we don’t have as much power as we used to.

Trump blew the lid off of racism after Obama won, both times. These crackas hated the fact that he won twice. Trump came along and made it "OK" to wear your white superiorism on your sleeve. These crackas want to go back to slave and segregation days in a bad way. Trump gave/gives these cracKKKas permission to be and act racist smh.

Last edited:

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Reagan basically amped up Nixon’s Southern Strategy.

The main goal was to reverse all the progress that took place between FDR and Johnson.

Non-Whites, mainly Black folks were slowly starting to benefit from what was put in place from the 1930s to 1960s.

The Powers That Be was against it.

And unfortunately a shitload of Democrats drank the Kool-Aid and have been going along with it since the 1980s.

It’s the main reason this country is where it’s at now.

Biden has the opportunity and power to reverse shit, but he is stuck in nostalgia and spending all his political capital on kissing up and bending over to the GOP.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Reagan basically amped up Nixon’s Southern Strategy.

The main goal was to reverse all the progress that took place between FDR and Johnson.

Non-Whites, mainly Black folks were slowly starting to benefit from what was put in place from the 1930s to 1960s.

The Powers That Be was against it.

And unfortunately a shitload of Democrats drank the Kool-Aid and have been going along with it since the 1980s.

It’s the main reason this country is where it’s at now.

Biden has the opportunity and power to reverse shit, but he is stuck in nostalgia and spending all his political capital on kissing up and bending over to the GOP.
No, I don’t see that. Everything that Biden tries to do the GOP block it in or they take it to court to block it. The student loan thing is happening because he had to circumvent the system to forgive some accounts. A Democrat to do beneficial things right now in this country they have to have a super majority and clean up some of the court systems

jremi

Rising Star
Registered
Everything the op posted and so much more.

Gutting the labor unions also contributed to massive income inequality. Its how CEOs can now make multitudes more than the average worker.

Under Reagan the US went from being a creditor nation to a debtor nation. It went from lending money to borrowing money.

Under Reagan the average American went from having money in the bank or at the very least minimal amounts of debt to drowning in it. Financing everything from food to clothing.

But its not entirely accurate to place all of the blame on a singular person, although he was the sitting president that enacted the bullshit that led to all the stuff listed above. Reagan was a dumbass. An actor taking direction from the powers that be. What is responsible is capitalism run amok.

The exact same things were taking place in other developed countries to varying degrees. Thatcher was doing the same nonsense in the UK for example. Unrestrained capitalism is what got us to the cluster fuck were in.

Southpaw

1 of the few blk men on this board
BGOL Investor
Let's not forget Reagan was the first to give amnesty to millions of illegal Mexican immigrants.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought he was put in office to teach and coach certain parts of the government about acting. The president is a seat of white supremacy just like the imperial wizard is.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I hate Reagan for bringing in crack and destroying the Mental Health Act. That move put the crazies out on the streets and hasn't been the same since. There are fewer and fewer mental hospitals now.
One of the strange things about mental health is that if a person say they saw a man walk water or made dead people rise or heal the sick we would say that person is sick or crazy. But when thousands of people saw it at one time we see how people that study the mind are somewhat trying to figure God out. Satan's rules by lies and murder. There got to be a reason why this is so powerful in the world now and the real truth is so hidden.
I guess the only person I have witnessed speak about society being sick and love being sick is when Dr. King mentioned it. Jonestown was an example of experiment in this.
It had to been real crazy for us to witness proof that the cia brought in drugs legally to be pushed into the black communities to put their minds in check and they make money off of it and blacks become junkies and fill the prisons. That is sick and it is still going on right now. The money, power and resources is still with being a carbon copy of devils.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
I hate Reagan for bringing in crack and destroying the Mental Health Act. That move put the crazies out on the streets and hasn't been the same since. There are fewer and fewer mental hospitals now.
You know what I briefly forgot about the crack epidemic and I’ll seen it with my own fucking eyes. This is why a part of me is looking at the white communities with the opioid epidemic with a side eye. And mental health, at which she basically closed down a lot of mental institutions and through people back into the streets. Reagan really fucked over this country.

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You know what I briefly forgot about the crack epidemic and I’ll seen it with my own fucking eyes. This is why a part of me is looking at the white communities with the opioid epidemic with a side eye. And mental health, at which she basically closed down a lot of mental institutions and through people back into the streets. Reagan really fucked over this country.
Looking back the more I see that the crack epidemic was planned and we were targeted. I remember someone saying "black people don't own any airplanes, or boats. Who is bringing it into the country?" They knew who where flying this stuff in.

scullydog

Rising Star
Platinum Member

California Gun Control: How Ronald Reagan and the Black Panthers Started a Movement​

The state’s first major gun control law was signed in 1967 by Gov. Ronald Reagan.
BY JONATHAN VANKIN PUBLISHED APR 13, 2022 11:43 A.M.
Share this:

Black Panthers at the California Capitol in 1967, an incident that sparked the gun control movement.

Black Panthers at the California Capitol in 1967, an incident that sparked the gun control movement. CIR ONLINE / WIKIMEDIA COMMONS C.C. 2.0 LICENSE
The modern gun control movement started in California, which famously has more gun control laws than any other state in the nation. But the political movement for gun control was not born in the way people familiar with current debates over gun rights might suppose. The first major piece of legislation restricting the right to carry a gun was drafted by a conservative Republican, and signed into law in 1967 by Gov. Ronald Reagan.
The law, AB 1591—better known as the Mulford Act and named for its author, Alameda County Republican Assemblymember Don Mulford—banned the carrying of firearms in public, making it a felony to do so without a government-issued license.
Prior to Reagan’s giving the law the go-ahead, nothing in California law prevented anyone from carrying a loaded firearm in any public location, as long as the gun was not concealed, and the person carrying it did not point the weapon at another person.

When the NRA Backed Gun Restrictions

Today, the National Rifle Association, the country’s leading gun-rights lobbying group, holds something close to an absolutist view of the right of the individual to own a gun. The group’s former president, the iconic movie star Charlton Heston, famously declared in the year 2000 that gun control advocates like then-Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore would never take away his gun unless they were to pry it from his “cold, dead hands.” (Heston died at age 84 in 2008.)
The NRA also strongly supports “right to carry” laws, and partly as a result, 21 states now permit people to carry concealed weapons without a permit. Another 30 allow guns to be carried openly without a permit.
In 1967, however, the NRA supported the Mulford Act and even contributed notes to guide Mulford in his drafting of the bill. It was a different era for the NRA, which to that point had supported most of the relatively mild gun control measures proposed at the federal and state level, starting with the 1934 National Firearms Act—a law that was designed to curb the rampant gangsterism of the era by heavily regulating machine guns, silencers, sawed-off shotguns and other weapons favored by the mobsters who ran wild during Prohibition (which had ended the previous year).

Why Did Conservatives Support Gun Control?

But what turned committed conservatives like Mulford and Reagan into pioneers of gun control legislation? The answer, it appears: Black people.
Mulford claimed that his gun control bill had “nothing to do with any racial incident.” But that was simply not true, according to UCLA law professor and gun rights historian Adam Winkler. In 1967, a new organization had suddenly appeared in California. Based in the East Bay, where Mulford’s district was located, it was known as the Black Panther Party for Self Defense, or Black Panthers for short. The group made gun ownership and—more alarmingly for white conservatives and the police—the public display of guns a central tenet of its platform.
Mulford freaked out. With the Panthers carrying their guns around Oakland, often following police cruisers, he quickly drafted his gun control bill. When Black Panthers co-founder Huey Newton heard about it, he immediately saw the proposed legislation as a move to disarm the Panthers, and the Black community in general. Newton decided to press the issue. On May 2, he led a group of about 25 Panther members to the state Capitol in Sacramento—fully armed.
“The Black Panthers’ invasion of the California statehouse launched the modern gun-rights movement,” Winkler wrote.

Reagan: Mulford Act Won’t Affect ‘Honest’ Citizens

Not content merely to demonstrate on the Capitol steps, the Panthers “invaded” (as contemporary news accounts put it) the Assembly chamber while the legislature was in session. Once the chamber was cleared of the armed Panthers, it took just four hours for the Assembly Criminal Procedure Committee to take up Mulford’s bill.
But Mulford, who declared himself “shocked beyond belief” at the “historical invasion,” asked for a slight delay while he amended the bill to make it even tougher, including a provision that made it a felony to carry a loaded firearm into the Capitol—which amazingly, it wasn’t before.
In announcing his support for the bill, Reagan said that the new gun restrictions “would work no hardship on the honest citizen.”
What did Reagan mean by that? According to Northern Arizona University Politics Professor Stephen Nuño-Pérez, writing for NBC.com in 2016, the future U.S. president was “implying that the defense of black communities against racist police officers had no legitimacy in the ‘honest’ world of white society.”
The Black Panthers, it is worth noting, did far more than push for gun rights. The group provided a range of services for the Black community in Oakland and other cities—perhaps most notably its “Breakfast for Schoolchildren” program, providing free, nutritious food for kids who may not otherwise have been fed breakfast at all. The Panthers also created free community medical clinics and even, in some areas, free ambulance services, among other public health programs for Black people in American cities.
Discussing his support of the Mulford Act in 1979, as he prepared to run for president the following year, Reagan appeared not to understand what the groundbreaking gun control law actually did.
“It is true that I did sign such a bill,” Reagan wrote in a letter to his longtime fans and frequent pen pals Lorraine and Elwood Wagner of Philadelphia, “but I hardly think it was gun control.”

scullydog

Rising Star
Platinum Member

The NRA supported gun restrictions once in California. Is it rooted in racism?​

Julian Glover Image

ByJulian Glover
KGO logo

Saturday, May 27, 2023

The Black Panther Party was known for openly carrying guns on the streets. A year after it formed, CA made it illegal to openly carry loaded guns
The Black Panther Party was known for openly carrying guns on the streets. A year after it formed, CA made it illegal to openly carry loaded guns
KGO

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- With 10-day waiting periods, universal background checks, and open-carry restrictions, the state of California has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. Those restrictions are rooted in racism, according to Xavier Buck, executive director of the Dr. Huey P. Newton Foundation.
"When you see Black folk knowing the law, they said, 'OK, well let's change the law,'" said Buck.
VIDEO: Dr. Huey P. Newton's widow shares details on life, legacy, love

12830542_being-fredrika-newton.PNG

The widow of Dr. Huey P. Newton, co-founder of the Black Panther Party, sat down to share details on his life, the revolution he led, and their love.
The Black Panther Party was founded in Oakland in 1966, originally named the Black Panther Party for Self Defense, in response to police brutality against Black citizens.
The radical organization was known for openly carrying guns on the streets to keep a close watch on police.

1.png
Top Stories01:AccuWeather Forecast: Clear skies, aboveaverage temps overnight
That's until California lawmakers made it illegal to openly carry loaded guns the year after the group was founded.
"They were shocked that Black people had the audacity to come up to the state Capitol and protest these gun restrictions," said Buck. "The Mulford Act was passed really directly in response to the Black Panther Party bearing arms and self-defense legally."
The bill limiting the right to openly carry loaded guns was supported by the National Rifle Association and signed into law by then Gov. Ronald Regan in 1967.
VIDEO: Why semi-automatic rifles can cause so much damage

Dr. David Baum witness the Highland Park parade shooting. "Their bodies were blown up by AR-15s," he said.
"It says that the Second Amendment does not apply to Black people," said Buck. "It's the only time the NRA has ever wanted to respond with more gun restrictions. It had never happened and hasn't happened since."

Today, a growing number of Black people, specifically Black women, are becoming gun owners.
According to the National Sports Shooting Foundation Black women are one of the fastest growing groups picking up firearms for the first time, according to 2021 data.
"To understand the history is to understand why this club exists," said Nathan Jones, executive director of the Bay Area Black Gun Owners Association. "This whole thing is a rebuttal to all of those decades and history and centuries of gun restrictions against people of color specifically."
ABC7 News spoke to Jones one Sunday morning in April as the association held a beginners gun safety course specifically for Black women.
VIDEO: Meet the oldest Black motorcycle club in the West

12892587_022823-kgo-eb-dragons-img.jpg

The East Bay Dragons motorcycle club has been proudly riding along since 1959 and will roll right into the next decade as strong as ever.
"It's the most popular class that we offer," said Jones. "Seventy percent of our members are women. They are joining the club in droves."
Several of the women at the event shared with ABC7 News that they had never held a gun before, but wanted to learn the basics of gun safety.
"I want to take back ownership of our safety and our protection," said Samantha Jones, who brought her sister Ashley along with her.
Ashley added, "I'm a single woman and I live alone. I want to have that extra security at home."