TV: HBO executive takes the blame for True Detective 2nd season failure UPDATE! 4rd Season w/ Jodie Foster!

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
los-angeles-california-casey-bloys-chairman-ceo-hbo-and-hbo-max-content-issa-l%C3%B3pez-jodie.jpg
mexico-city-mexico-jodie-foster-and-kali-reis-pose-during-the-blue-carpet-for-the-series-true.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I’ll get to this series at some point.

Yeah I was going to hold off too

I was going to watch Tokyo Vice and finish up a TON of older series I haven't even started yet.

But so many people recommended this so I was just gonna watch ONE EPISODE

end up binging.

Same happened with The Offer and Mr Mrs Smith.

Those series were just so easy to finish.

Sidebar... I don't like how they are dropping new stuff back to back again.

there are so many dry spells were a show could thrive.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I have no idea how this will end

I was listening to one of the recap shows (podcasts) earlier this week and they said that for the most part they liked the season. There's still a fair amount of stuff they need to tie up in the finale, and hopefully they can stick the landing.

That said ... they understood that world building needs to take place in any movie or TV series, but they found there was a bit too much of that going on this season. Taking away from the "detective" dynamic which is the foundation of the series, and which worked so well with the leads in both seasons 1 and 3 respectively.

They felt like there were some story arcs that didn't really go anywhere, or should have been taken further (if they were gonna take away from the focus on Danvers & Navarro). Also, the season leaning a bit too much into the supernatural.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I was listening to one of the recap shows (podcasts) earlier this week and they said that for the most part they liked the season. There's still a fair amount of stuff they need to tie up in the finale, and hopefully they can stick the landing.

That said ... they understood that world building needs to take place in any movie or TV series, but they found there was a bit too much of that going on this season. Taking away from the "detective" dynamic which is the foundation of the series, and which worked so well with the leads in both seasons 1 and 3 respectively.

They felt like there were some story arcs that didn't really go anywhere, or should have been taken further (if they were gonna take away from the focus on Danvers & Navarro). Also, the season leaning a bit too much into the supernatural.

Completely agree

And consider that despite all the criticisms

It was STILL DAMN GOOD.

That says a whole lot.

It's crazy to work in this business

People complain when there is too little backstory then complain there is too much.

It's too long or it's too short.

I get all the criticism but like you said the sum of its parts is more important. And I'm happy the critics get that. This was not lazily done. I'd rather someone try TO HARD as opposed to mailing it in.

This season really rejuvenated the franchise

I would really like a much more urban mystery kinda like a Se7en with younger detectives.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Completely agree

And consider that despite all the criticisms

It was STILL DAMN GOOD.

That says a whole lot.

It's crazy to work in this business

People complain when there is too little backstory then complain there is too much.

Agreed.

Can't make everyone happy.

I appreciated the mood / vibe of the season. "Night Country" ... that disorienting feeling of darkness 24-7.

I've liked having it in the rotation with Monsieur Spade, Masters of the Air, and Tokyo Vice of late.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
That cold claustrophobic yet vast Alaska location is almost always perfect for this stuff.

Agreed.

There's a few scenes wherein I wondered how many takes they needed to do (given the cold climate). Definitely liked that authenticity of it ...

The season was filmed in Iceland and Alaska with a budget of $60 million.[24][25] Filming began in November 2022 and wrapped in April 2023.[26][27] The conditions included nighttime shoots at −23 °C (−9 °F), with director López commenting, "I'm Mexican, so I'm really not fond of the cold." She said that viewers would find the environment authentic "because we were there, because the actors were cold, because the filmmakers were cold".[10]

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Agreed.

There's a few scenes wherein I wondered how many takes they needed to do (given the cold climate). Definitely liked that authenticity of it ...

The season was filmed in Iceland and Alaska with a budget of $60 million.[24][25] Filming began in November 2022 and wrapped in April 2023.[26][27] The conditions included nighttime shoots at −23 °C (−9 °F), with director López commenting, "I'm Mexican, so I'm really not fond of the cold." She said that viewers would find the environment authentic "because we were there, because the actors were cold, because the filmmakers were cold".[10]

It's worth the sacrifice.

But 60 million?

Damn

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Agreed.

Well damn.

That's how it end it.