TV: MONSTER - DAHMER (Netflix Limited Series) Update: Pt 2 Melendez Brothers

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Mother of Dahmer victim condemns Netflix series: 'It didn't happen like that'

“I don’t see how they can use our names and put stuff out like that out there."
By Emlyn TravisOctober 12, 2022 at 04:20 PM EDT

The mother of one of Jeffrey Dahmer's victims is slamming the Netflix series for its portrayal of her and her son.
Shirley Hughes, the mother of aspiring model Tony Hughes, told The Guardian that she hasn't watched the entirety of Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story, but noted that "it didn't happen like that."
"I don't see how they can do that," she told the outlet. "I don't see how they can use our names and put stuff out like that out there."

Rodney Bruford and Evan Peters in 'Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story'

| CREDIT: NETFLIX
Hughes, who was deaf, was 31-years-old when he was killed by Dahmer in 1991. He is among the 17 men and boys who were violently murdered by the Milwaukee serial killer from 1978 to 1991.
His life is explored in the sixth episode of the series, titled "Silenced," in which Hughes (Rodney Burford) forms a relationship with Dahmer (Evan Peters) after meeting him at a bar. His mother, played by Karen Malina White, is also featured in the episode, including a scene where they share a conversation at the dinner table together.
Hughes' mother isn't the only victim family member who has lambasted the controversial show since its release on Sept. 21. Rita Isbell, who is the sister of victim Errol Lindsey, similarly shared in an essay for Insider that she was "never contacted about the show" prior to its release, despite it including a reenactment of her emotional 1992 victim statement against Dahmer in one episode.

Lindsey's cousin, Eric Perry, said that his family was "pissed" about the show and questioned why another adaptation was needed. "It's retraumatizing over and over again, and for what?" he tweeted. "How many movies/shows/documentaries do we need?"

Perry added, "Like recreating my cousin having an emotional breakdown in court in the face of the man who tortured and murdered her brother is WILD."

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘DAHMER-Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story’ Just Passed 1 Billion Hours Viewed
The series from Ian Brennan and Ryan Murphy joins Stranger Things and Squid Game in surpassing the milestone.
By Anne CohenDec 5, 2022
Evan Peters fans have been busy. DAHMER-Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story just joined Stranger Things Season 4 and Squid Games in surpassing the billion-hour mark in viewing time, making it one of the most watched series on Netflix. The first installment of the anthology series from Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan is only the third title to hit that milestone in just 60 days, and the second-ever English-language series.
Starring Peters as the notorious serial killer, DAHMER weaves a compelling narrative exploring the institutional failures, systemic racism and pervasive homophobia that enabled Jeffrey Dahmer to murder 17 young men over the course of 13 years. The chilling series also focuses on his many victims, and gives voice to long-overlooked figures in the story such as Glenda Cleveland (Niecy Nash), who repeatedly tried to warn the authorities about her suspicious neighbor.
Artwork by Akiko Stehrenberger
During a roundtable hosted by Murphy with the cast of the series, Nash got emotional about the responsibility she felt bringing Cleveland’s story to the screen. “To be the face and the voice of so many Black women who go unheard and unseen... My tears often come when I wonder where Glenda’s spirit is right now,” she said. “And [if] she knows that the world has shown up and taken note of what she was trying to get people to [realize].
https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/dahmer-sandwich-scene
Peters also described his “120%” commitment to the gruesome character, going as far as to tie lead weights on his hands to nail Dahmer’s distinct posture. “I watched all the footage I could find, the [Stone Phillips] interviews, [from the] courtroom, and I sort of studied how he moved,” he said. “He had a very straight back. He didn’t move his arms when he walked.”
After its debut on Sept. 21, DAHMER spent seven weeks in the Netflix Global Top 10, eventually surrendering the top spot to Murphy’s other smash hit, The Watcher. Both series have now been renewed, so get ready for two additional installments of Monster, focusing on other monstrous figures who have impacted society.
DAHMER-Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story is currently available to stream.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

neptunes007

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Best damn series Netflix produced outside of Narcos and Mindhunter.

They gotta do Gacy and Bundy. The little scenes they did do of Gacy was intense.