TV News: Zendaya Coleman Explains Why She Quit Lifetime’s Aaliyah Movie

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Zendaya Coleman Explains Why She Quit Lifetime’s Aaliyah Movie

a_190x190.jpg

After Disney star Zendaya Coleman quit Aalyiah amid a cloud of controversy (Aaliyah's family, for one, didn't want Lifetime to do the biopic in the first place), Lifetime announced that they had replaced her with the relatively unknown Alexandra Shipp (from Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel). Wendy Williams, who is now an executive producer on the project, tweeted the news. Zendaya, meanwhile, took to Instagram video to explain why she left the movie with the note, "Let me just explain something ... #aaliyah #respect":

"Let me just explain something. The reason why I chose not to do the Aaliyah movie had nothing to do with the haters or people telling me that I couldn't do it, I wasn't talented enough, or I wasn't black enough. It had absolutely nothing to do with that. The main reasons were that the production value wasn't there, there were complications with the music rights, and I just felt like it wasn't being handled delicately considering the situation.

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/qnLLA4JmOd/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

And I tried my best to reach out to the family on my own, and I wrote a letter, but I was unable to do so. Therefore, I felt not really morally okay with moving forward with the project.

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/qnLgJdJmPF/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

With all that being said, congratulations to the new woman playing Aaliyah. I only hope she does not have to deal with half the hate that I had to deal with. And remember that we are all human beings trying to do what we love to do. Let's practice motivation and love — not discrimination and hate. All right? Mwah."

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/qnLqSppmPT/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Race Harley

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:smh: Haters didn't want her in the role, plain and simple. Aaliyah's family didn't want her in the role. :smh:

Hopefully, she'll find a role that will make her the star she wants to be.

Riggz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
in other words it's going to be shit and she doesn't want any part of it especially with all the hate she's already receiving

Theo_Huxtable

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Too bad, I didn't understand the problem...she was "black enough" to pay Aaliyah. Now, as for that Nina Simone shit...:smh:...naw, that shouldn't happen.​

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
:smh: Haters didn't want her in the role, plain and simple. Aaliyah's family didn't want her in the role. :smh:

Hopefully, she'll find a role that will make her the star she wants to be.

zendaya mustve also found out R Kelly was trying to get cast in the movie as himself :lol:

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I really didn't care about this whole controversy. It kept coming up on ALL the Black websites I feed. Which in itself is sad. Black media is just way too Entertainment-driven. But that's another issue for another time.

And I really had no idea who Zendaya Coleman was anyway.

But for a 17-year old kid who had to experience a shitty moment like this, especially in regards to her color/ethnicity, that was one CLASSY response.

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
".... The main reasons were that the production value wasn't there, there were complications with the music rights ...."

For the life of me, I can't understand why people are so emotionally invested in this project. It's a low budget Lifetime movie. There a VERY high chance that's it's going to be terrible away.

I would like to know who they're getting to play R. Kelly, Missy, & Timberland though.

jimmiewine

"Are you gonna bring Halle? That's a fine bitch!"
BGOL Patreon Investor
I believe this will be Lifetime film, which means cheesy and whack. I notice they're also doing the Whitney Houston film. Next they'll be doing a Dave Chappelle film starring Nick Cannon.

Black Radical

Rising Star
Registered

For the life of me, I can't understand why people are so emotionally invested in this project. It's a low budget Lifetime movie. There a VERY high chance that's it's going to be terrible away.

I would like to know who they're getting to play R. Kelly, Missy, & Timberland though.

AND Aaliyah wasn't no mega star like that. She died, it was tragic, but she wasnt no epic star or unique talent. I dont get it.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
I saw someone had made a dumb ass thread about whether or not she was "black" enough...didn't realize this was an actual sentiment that many ppl shared...ridiculous :smh::smh::smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Aaliyah has a a HUGE and rabid fan base and when she died it hit hard.

I surprised myself and I'm a fan.

But when she dies it was like the hip/R&B version of when Princess Di died...

the outpouring was just completely unexpected and over the top.

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
AND Aaliyah wasn't no mega star like that. She died, it was tragic, but she wasnt no epic star or unique talent. I dont get it.

I've been getting into arguments with history revisionists about this since high school.

She simply was not the once-in-a-generation talent that people try to portray her as since her tragic death.

She just wasn't.

Esther

Rising Star
OG Investor
I agree

I've been getting into arguments with history revisionists about this since high school.

She simply was not the once-in-a-generation talent that people try to portray her as since her tragic death.

She just wasn't.

OnSlaught

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Da truth has been told.

I swear I don't get it either...never have

She just wasn't.

Basically she was Rhianna before Rhianna.

Talent isn't that great, fan following is bananas, but when all said and done besides controversy, what was really so spectacular and rare?

Nothing...

brando154110

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Talent isn't that great, fan following is bananas, but when all said and done besides controversy, what was really so spectacular and rare?

Nothing...

How is it said that Rihanna has no talent, 12 number 1 singles ain't nothing to shake a stick at... Although Aaliyah death
was very tragic, she had nowhere near the talent as Ri....

Genocide

Support BGOL
Registered
Zendaya was perfect. I really don't understand why niggas were hating. Zendaya is 17. Aaliyah was 15 when she came out. Everyone else the haters recommended were to old to play the role...Zoe Saldana, Teyana Taylor, Keshia Chante, Cassie.:smh::smh:

And the only reason her family was hating is because they wanted a major motion picture. I'm sorry. I loved Aaliyah to death but she really wasn't that famous for a big screen production. Not like she was Whitney or Michael Jackson.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
How is it said that Rihanna has no talent, 12 number 1 singles ain't nothing to shake a stick at... Although Aaliyah death
was very tragic, she had nowhere near the talent as Ri....

if you're equating number 1 singles w/ talent (which is wrong but I'll play) then keep in mind rihanna dropped 7 albums...aaliyah dropped 3 and was able to yield a respectable 4 no. 1 hits...based on your criteria it's silly to say she has nowhere near the "talent"

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor

Nothing...

just say you weren't a fan of hers or you weren't too familiar w/ her music outside of reading gossip about her bcuz that's what your post strongly suggests...and for the record she may not have been "rare "but many did find her voice spectacular and her singing + dancing allowed for many to easily view her as talented

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

True.

She just wasn't.

Aaliyah wasn't that but few are. She was in a similar position as Robin Harris when he died: already a star but seemingly on the verge of being a superstar.
She had already done "Queen of the Damned" and was set to appear in the "Matrix" movies while her music was getting better and more mature.

The Haughton family, like the Houston family, are amazing in their audacity. If you don't think a Lifetime movie is high profile enough, do it yourself. They own the rights so work out something that you have some type of creative input in exchange for the music because this won't work without the music.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
Aaliyah wasn't that but few are. She was in a similar position as Robin Harris when he died: already a star but seemingly on the verge of being a superstar.

exactly...idk wtf these A-Z niggas is talking about w/ this "once-in-a-generation" or "rare" bullshit...she was a star cut down in her prime...plain and simple...numb nuts talking about how is she famous :lol:

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She's gonna be alright. I was shocked she was doing some Lifetime shit anyway. And why the hell is Wendy Williams exec producing it? This film is doomed before it even gets out there.

And Aaliyah had talent. Compare her to no damn Rihanna. Aaliyah could dance better than any of these chics out here. Her vocals weren't GREAT but they were dope on some records.

BGOL is the only place I see that be straight knockin Aaliyah. :lol: I never hear that anywhere else. BGOL has taught me that she was a hoe and she's talentless. :lol: I can't speak on the former but Aaliyah wasn't talentless.