Which DNA testing company is the most reputable?

ankhheru

BGOL Investor
After having an in depth conversation with my youngest son and promising him I would learn where we come from, I find myself here asking BGOL for help.

Which company is the most reliable and in depth of all the DNA companies out there? It's rather embarrassing to find out my son is lying to friends about his ancestry because he doesn't know and I don't know myself.

I understand that the Maafa is the reason why I do not know but as a father in 2016 I have no excuse. Please help me with any information you can.

Thanks in advance.

simonmarcel

Rising Star
OG Investor
I did ancestry.com dna test back in august. I got the results back a month later. I looked at dozens of YouTube videos from people were tested by one or multiple companies.. The differences were negligible. My results just affirmed what I already figured: That I was a mix of west African countries with a little Caucasian. My results were:

20% Ivory Coast/Ghana
17% Cameroon/Congo
14% Great Britain
13% Benin/Togo
11% Nigeria
10% Africa Southeastern Bantu
4% Senegal
1% Africa North

It then shows a list of people you are related to. I've had 3 people contact me on there. I then uploaded my dna data to a website called gedmatch.com where they break it down even more and there are several tests yo u can run. One of the tests showed that I'm related the closest to Nigerian Fulani. I was on the fence about getting the test done for years but I'm glad I finally did. I've talked to several people who say they don't want to know; that they are American now.

safado

Rising Star
Registered
23andme.com i tried first
then for comparison ancestry.com
also uploaded data to gedmatch...

the results actually lead to a ghana trip...
my fam did africadna or something like dat
yet they all yielded similar results..

i like the 23andme layout, yet ancestry.com mixed with the research tool (census,death records,etc) makes for a tough sell as well. managed to meet some dna cousins and we have been slowly working trying to piece in some gaps...

they all shed more light than what we were born with...so imop anyone of them.

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
I did ancestry.com dna test back in august. I got the results back a month later. I looked at dozens of YouTube videos from people were tested by one or multiple companies.. The differences were negligible. My results just affirmed what I already figured: That I was a mix of west African countries with a little Caucasian. My results were:

20% Ivory Coast/Ghana
17% Cameroon/Congo
14% Great Britain
13% Benin/Togo
11% Nigeria
10% Africa Southeastern Bantu
4% Senegal
1% Africa North

It then shows a list of people you are related to. I've had 3 people contact me on there. I then uploaded my dna data to a website called gedmatch.com where they break it down even more and there are several tests yo u can run. One of the tests showed that I'm related the closest to Nigerian Fulani. I was on the fence about getting the test done for years but I'm glad I finally did. I've talked to several people who say they don't want to know; that they are American now.
thank you for posting this, and op thanks for creating this thread. I've really been wanting to do this and your info is pushing me to get this shit done.

did you post the pricing info?

simonmarcel

Rising Star
OG Investor
thank you for posting this, and op thanks for creating this thread. I've really been wanting to do this and your info is pushing me to get this shit done.

did you post the pricing info?
ancestry is $99. I ordered it off amazon because of prime shipping(it's the same price on the ancestry site), gedmatch is free.

ankhheru

BGOL Investor
If I had a tree and I told you of insects that used to be on the third branch, would you be satisfied?
Not being funny but I would probably ask what type of bug and how bad was the damage. I was asking for a more detailed breakdown of what you said because I didn't know what an autosomal trace line was or is.

ankhheru

BGOL Investor
For everyone staying that the government is mining dna as far as I'm concerned it's fine because they got mine when I joined the military. So no biggie. They swabbed my cheek in basic training. They said it was for identification purposes just in case my body was destroyed beyond recognition.

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
Did african ancestry . com

Swabbed via my moms side, I'm from biloko (sp) island off equatorial Guinea

They had a discount can't remember the price but it wasn't crazy

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
Did african ancestry . com

Swabbed via my moms side, I'm from biloko (sp) island off equatorial Guinea

They had a discount can't remember the price but it wasn't crazy
a small fraction of you is from that area, you mean.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
Not being funny but I would probably ask what type of bug and how bad was the damage. I was asking for a more detailed breakdown of what you said because I didn't know what an autosomal trace line was or is.
dude, take this example.

Person 1
Scandinavia 42%
British Isles 19%
Southern Europe 17%
Eastern Europe 11%
Finland, No. Siberia 4%
Western=Europe 2%
Eastern Middle East 4%
Asia Minor 0%

Person 2
Scandinavia 12%
British Isles 57%
Southern Europe 0%
Eastern Europe 3%
Finland, No. Siberia 7%
Western=Europe 12%
Eastern Middle East 0%
Asia Minor 9%

Person 3
Scandinavia 62%
British Isles 7%
Southern Europe 19%
Eastern Europe 7%
Finland, No. Siberia 0%
Western=Europe 0%
Eastern Middle East 0%
Asia Minor 5%

Person 4
Scandinavia 56%
British Isles 0%
Southern Europe 27%
Eastern Europe 17%
Finland, No. Siberia 0%
Western=Europe 0%
Eastern Middle East 0%
Asia Minor 0%

Now ask yourself: what’s the relationship (if any) among these four people?

If you’re thinking maybe they’re not related at all (look at the wide variations across the population reference groups), or maybe person 2 isn’t related to the others (look at that big British Isles component compared to the others), well, that’s exactly why I keep warning that you can’t take these ethnicity estimates as more than an interesting conversation starter.1

Because all four of these people are full blood siblings, definitively established by DNA testing.

Let me repeat, one more time, what the limits are of these estimates: these estimates take the DNA of living people — us, the test takers — and compare it to the DNA of other living people — people whose parents and grandparents and, sometimes, even great grandparents all come from one geographic area. Then they try to extrapolate backwards into time. Nobody is out there running around, digging up 500- or 1,000-year-old bones, extracting DNA for us to compare our own DNA to.

So coming up with these percentages in these tests requires this fundamental assumption: that the DNA of the reference populations — those groups whose parents, grandparents, great grandparents and more all come from the same area — is likely to reflect what we might see if we could test the DNA of people who lived in that area hundreds and thousands of years ago.

In other words, these percentages are:

• estimates,

• estimates based on comparisons not to actual historical populations but rather to small groups of people living today, and

• estimates based purely on the statistical odds that those small groups tell us something meaningful about past populations.

It’s fun stuff, for sure.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
dude, take this example.

Person 1
Scandinavia 42%
British Isles 19%
Southern Europe 17%
Eastern Europe 11%
Finland, No. Siberia 4%
Western=Europe 2%
Eastern Middle East 4%
Asia Minor 0%

Person 2
Scandinavia 12%
British Isles 57%
Southern Europe 0%
Eastern Europe 3%
Finland, No. Siberia 7%
Western=Europe 12%
Eastern Middle East 0%
Asia Minor 9%

Person 3
Scandinavia 62%
British Isles 7%
Southern Europe 19%
Eastern Europe 7%
Finland, No. Siberia 0%
Western=Europe 0%
Eastern Middle East 0%
Asia Minor 5%

Person 4
Scandinavia 56%
British Isles 0%
Southern Europe 27%
Eastern Europe 17%
Finland, No. Siberia 0%
Western=Europe 0%
Eastern Middle East 0%
Asia Minor 0%

If you’re thinking maybe they’re not related at all (look at the wide variations across the population reference groups), or maybe person 2 isn’t related to the others (look at that big British Isles component compared to the others), well, that’s exactly why I keep warning that you can’t take these ethnicity estimates as more than an interesting conversation starter.1

Because all four of these people are full blood siblings, definitively established by DNA testing.

Let me repeat, one more time, what the limits are of these estimates: these estimates take the DNA of living people — us, the test takers — and compare it to the DNA of other living people — people whose parents and grandparents and, sometimes, even great grandparents all come from one geographic area. Then they try to extrapolate backwards into time. Nobody is out there running around, digging up 500- or 1,000-year-old bones, extracting DNA for us to compare our own DNA to.

So coming up with these percentages in these tests requires this fundamental assumption: that the DNA of the reference populations — those groups whose parents, grandparents, great grandparents and more all come from the same area — is likely to reflect what we might see if we could test the DNA of people who lived in that area hundreds and thousands of years ago.

• estimates,

• estimates based on comparisons not to actual historical populations but rather to small groups of people living today, and

• estimates based purely on the statistical odds that those small groups tell us something meaningful about past populations.

You listed no African groups. We have verified info of where the slave trade was conducted from, it's easy to narrow that shit down. Good luck trying to track cacs through dna. That does take more doing.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
You listed no African groups. We have verified info of where the slave trade was conducted from, it's easy to narrow that shit down. Good luck trying to track cacs through dna. That does take more doing.
the records only have areas but there is still a lot of guesswork with reference to movement of ancestors. Just saying, don't take the results as gospel but a guesstimate of where your background is from.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Law Enforcement Investigators Demand Access To Private DNA Databases

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) — Investigators are broadening their DNA searches beyond government databases and demanding genetic information from companies that do ancestry research for their customers.

Two major companies that research family lineage for fees around $200 say that over the last two years, they have received law enforcement demands for individuals’ genetic information stored in their DNA databases.

Ancestry.com and competitor 23andme report a total of five requests from law agencies for the genetic material of six individuals in their growing databases of hundreds of thousands. Ancestry.com turned over one person’s data for an investigation into the murder and rape of an 18-year-old woman in Idaho Falls, Idaho. 23andme has received four other court orders but persuaded investigators to withdraw the requests.

The companies say law enforcement demands for genetic information are rare.

But privacy advocates and experts are concerned that genetic information turned over for medical, family history research or other highly personal reasons could be misused by investigators– and that the few known cases could be the start of a trend.

“There will be more requests as time goes on and the technology evolves,” said New York University law professor Erin Murphy, author of “Inside The Cell: The Dark Side of Forensic DNA.”

Law enforcement agencies across the country have access to growing state and national databases with millions of genetic samples of convicted offenders and arrestees.

Investigators compare DNA found at crime scenes against the genetic samples in the government databases. They look at 13 distinct locations in a DNA sample, seeking exact matches at each location to pair a suspect with genetic material at the crime scene.

Ancestry.com and 23andme officials say their databases won’t be useful to most criminal investigations because they analyze regions of DNA different from the locations forensic experts explore. Still, that hasn’t stopped investigators stumped on cold cases from contacting the companies for help.

In the summer of 2014, court documents show, the Idaho Falls Police Department obtained a warrant to seize genetic information from Ancestry.com in connection with the 1996 rape and murder of Angie Dodge.

In 1998, Christopher Tapp was sentenced to life in prison for Dodge’s murder and rape, but he’s appealing his conviction saying his confession was coerced. Police are still working the case at the insistence of Dodge’s mother and others because the only DNA found on her body was not Tapp’s and investigators believe another suspect also was involved.

Idaho Falls police sent the DNA sample to Ancestry.com in 2014 to process. Ancestry emailed the results to the police without naming anyone in the company’s database, which was only partially accessible to the public.

The results, however, established a close, though not exact, match. Believing the killer could be a relative of the DNA donor, police obtained a warrant to compel the company to turn over the donor’s name.

“The hurdles for this should be extremely high, like getting a warrant for a wiretap, because it is an invasion of privacy,” said Greg Hampikian, a Boise State University biology professor and forensic DNA expert assisting with efforts to exonerate Tapp.

Hampikian said there has to be “a compelling public safety issue” and judge’s approval before calling on companies to turn over genetic information.

“In this case, there is a killer-rapist still out there and a man in prison for murder claiming innocence,” Hampikian said.

The donor was Michael Usry Sr., a contractor living near Jackson, Mississippi.

Ten years earlier, thinking he was helping further the Mormon Church’s deep interest in genetic research, Usry donated his DNA to a nonprofit scientific organization conducting a hereditary study.

The Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation was launched by billionaire Utah businessman James LeVoy Sorenson with the backing of the church. The foundation’s goal was finding a “genetic blueprint” for humans, and it amassed more than 100,000 samples when Ancestry acquired the database in 2007.

Usry was not the right age for the 20-something suspect investigators were seeking. But his son was the approximate age and had connections to the Idaho Falls area.

Police showed up at Michael Usry Jr.’s doorstep in New Orleans in December 2014, armed with a warrant for his DNA.

The younger Usry, a filmmaker, was interrogated for six hours and finally gave blood for a DNA sample. For the next month, he remained under suspicion until his DNA was determined not to match the samples taken from the crime scene.

Now Usry Jr. says he is making a documentary about his experience. “It was disconcerting,” he said. “It was a very weird situation.”

Idaho Falls Police Department spokeswoman Joelyn Hansen said the investigator who obtained the warrant has retired and no one else in the department “felt comfortable” discussing the warrant.

After media reports about the Usrys’ experience, Ancestry and 23andme each said they turn over customer genetic data only under court order. Both companies announced publication of “transparency” reports that disclose the number of warrants and subpoenas from law agencies.

“Privacy is our primary concern,” said 23andme privacy officer Kate Black, who said the company has never turned over genetic information despite receiving four court orders. But Black said 23andme has so far convinced investigators that the company’s data won’t help with their cases — and the agencies have withdrawn their demands.

Ancestry says the only request it received was for Usry’s information. The company has since removed the Sorenson database from public view.

“It does bother me that Sorenson sold that information after they told me it wouldn’t be shared,” the elder Usry said. “It does bother me that my DNA was used in this.”

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...t-investigators-demand-private-dna-databases/

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
the records only have areas but there is still a lot of guesswork with reference to movement of ancestors. Just saying, don't take the results as gospel but a guesstimate of where your background is from.

I agree. All I am saying is historical records show record where slaves were taken from. DNA seems to back that. DNA that backs historical records means something. So it helps with guessing.

Thankfully, science corrects itself.

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
a small fraction of you is from that area, you mean.

Well the way it was explained they mapped my X chromosome, and that's what I am via that chromosome, now is it a fraction, realistically probably, but who cares I found out what I am on one side

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
572e0a87073e43ee2d650b7145c3533c3167dda0f5b5acb243cfc95727a52a1b.jpg

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
dude, take this example.

Person 1
Scandinavia 42%
British Isles 19%
Southern Europe 17%
Eastern Europe 11%
Finland, No. Siberia 4%
Western=Europe 2%
Eastern Middle East 4%
Asia Minor 0%

Person 2
Scandinavia 12%
British Isles 57%
Southern Europe 0%
Eastern Europe 3%
Finland, No. Siberia 7%
Western=Europe 12%
Eastern Middle East 0%
Asia Minor 9%

Person 3
Scandinavia 62%
British Isles 7%
Southern Europe 19%
Eastern Europe 7%
Finland, No. Siberia 0%
Western=Europe 0%
Eastern Middle East 0%
Asia Minor 5%

Person 4
Scandinavia 56%
British Isles 0%
Southern Europe 27%
Eastern Europe 17%
Finland, No. Siberia 0%
Western=Europe 0%
Eastern Middle East 0%
Asia Minor 0%

• estimates,

Thank you. That is the test that I wanted to see done. I always thought that sibilings should have identical or nearly identical results.

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Law Enforcement Investigators Demand Access To Private DNA Databases

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) — Investigators are broadening their DNA searches beyond government databases and demanding genetic information from companies that do ancestry research for their customers.

Two major companies that research family lineage for fees around $200 say that over the last two years, they have received law enforcement demands for individuals’ genetic information stored in their DNA databases.

Ancestry.com and competitor 23andme report a total of five requests from law agencies for the genetic material of six individuals in their growing databases of hundreds of thousands. Ancestry.com turned over one person’s data for an investigation into the murder and rape of an 18-year-old woman in Idaho Falls, Idaho. 23andme has received four other court orders but persuaded investigators to withdraw the requests.

The companies say law enforcement demands for genetic information are rare.

But privacy advocates and experts are concerned that genetic information turned over for medical, family history research or other highly personal reasons could be misused by investigators– and that the few known cases could be the start of a trend.

“There will be more requests as time goes on and the technology evolves,” said New York University law professor Erin Murphy, author of “Inside The Cell: The Dark Side of Forensic DNA.”

Law enforcement agencies across the country have access to growing state and national databases with millions of genetic samples of convicted offenders and arrestees.

Investigators compare DNA found at crime scenes against the genetic samples in the government databases. They look at 13 distinct locations in a DNA sample, seeking exact matches at each location to pair a suspect with genetic material at the crime scene.

Ancestry.com and 23andme officials say their databases won’t be useful to most criminal investigations because they analyze regions of DNA different from the locations forensic experts explore. Still, that hasn’t stopped investigators stumped on cold cases from contacting the companies for help.

In the summer of 2014, court documents show, the Idaho Falls Police Department obtained a warrant to seize genetic information from Ancestry.com in connection with the 1996 rape and murder of Angie Dodge.

In 1998, Christopher Tapp was sentenced to life in prison for Dodge’s murder and rape, but he’s appealing his conviction saying his confession was coerced. Police are still working the case at the insistence of Dodge’s mother and others because the only DNA found on her body was not Tapp’s and investigators believe another suspect also was involved.

Idaho Falls police sent the DNA sample to Ancestry.com in 2014 to process. Ancestry emailed the results to the police without naming anyone in the company’s database, which was only partially accessible to the public.

The results, however, established a close, though not exact, match. Believing the killer could be a relative of the DNA donor, police obtained a warrant to compel the company to turn over the donor’s name.

“The hurdles for this should be extremely high, like getting a warrant for a wiretap, because it is an invasion of privacy,” said Greg Hampikian, a Boise State University biology professor and forensic DNA expert assisting with efforts to exonerate Tapp.

Hampikian said there has to be “a compelling public safety issue” and judge’s approval before calling on companies to turn over genetic information.

“In this case, there is a killer-rapist still out there and a man in prison for murder claiming innocence,” Hampikian said.

The donor was Michael Usry Sr., a contractor living near Jackson, Mississippi.

Ten years earlier, thinking he was helping further the Mormon Church’s deep interest in genetic research, Usry donated his DNA to a nonprofit scientific organization conducting a hereditary study.

The Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation was launched by billionaire Utah businessman James LeVoy Sorenson with the backing of the church. The foundation’s goal was finding a “genetic blueprint” for humans, and it amassed more than 100,000 samples when Ancestry acquired the database in 2007.

Usry was not the right age for the 20-something suspect investigators were seeking. But his son was the approximate age and had connections to the Idaho Falls area.

Police showed up at Michael Usry Jr.’s doorstep in New Orleans in December 2014, armed with a warrant for his DNA.

The younger Usry, a filmmaker, was interrogated for six hours and finally gave blood for a DNA sample. For the next month, he remained under suspicion until his DNA was determined not to match the samples taken from the crime scene.

Now Usry Jr. says he is making a documentary about his experience. “It was disconcerting,” he said. “It was a very weird situation.”

Idaho Falls Police Department spokeswoman Joelyn Hansen said the investigator who obtained the warrant has retired and no one else in the department “felt comfortable” discussing the warrant.

After media reports about the Usrys’ experience, Ancestry and 23andme each said they turn over customer genetic data only under court order. Both companies announced publication of “transparency” reports that disclose the number of warrants and subpoenas from law agencies.

“Privacy is our primary concern,” said 23andme privacy officer Kate Black, who said the company has never turned over genetic information despite receiving four court orders. But Black said 23andme has so far convinced investigators that the company’s data won’t help with their cases — and the agencies have withdrawn their demands.

Ancestry says the only request it received was for Usry’s information. The company has since removed the Sorenson database from public view.

“It does bother me that Sorenson sold that information after they told me it wouldn’t be shared,” the elder Usry said. “It does bother me that my DNA was used in this.”

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...t-investigators-demand-private-dna-databases/

Smh

Fright Night

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Would this be useful to someone that was adopted and looks mixed?

Would it at least tell what their nationality is?

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree. All I am saying is historical records show record where slaves were taken from. DNA seems to back that. DNA that backs historical records means something. So it helps with guessing.

Thankfully, science corrects itself.

Throw in that manmade borders and boundaries have been made and some countries and peoples no longer exist.

At best it is a lot of guessing.