15 year old Coco Gauff upsets Venus Williams at Wimbledon

yardy

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Major props to Coco, she brought her game to Venus and beat her with damn near her own style of play. Incredible to be able to beat one of your idols.
Venus time sadly is coming to an end, her once powerful serve is gone.

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
Cute kid. You could see the confidence but still see the respect she had for Venus after the win! I dont even like tennis and I had my kids watch the match.

Impressive as hell.
:yes:

oNE

ANGRY MAN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Watch Coco coming up and she excellent for her age! But watching the highlights Venus was point shaving big time. She hits way faster, but hit the ball at a slower speed so Coco can keep up. Venus tennis IQ is far greater then Coco.

In reality she passed the torch to make Coco a huge star!

You can see the difference in skills when Felix (19yr old) vs the tennis Vet Nadal...Nadal taught that kid a lesson

Last edited:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Already has. I was rooting for her to break Margaret Court’s record but it is over for her.

She can still be competitive and make money but as far as being a top 10 player, it’s a wrap.

Venus is 39! The fuck she still playing for? She done made a shitload of money. Retire and enjoy life. She'll never be a champion again. Serena is 37. Still competitive but her time is coming too.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Watch Coco coming up and she excellent for her age! But watching the highlights Venus was point shaving big time. She hits way faster, but hit the ball at a slower speed so Coco can keep up. Venus tennis IQ is far greater that Coco.

:hmm:

ANGRY MAN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Venus been working the same job for 22 years. You think a 15 year old skills and IQ is up to par with Venus lol. Tennis is a very complex sport...my daughter is 12 years old and beats the breaks off her opponents in tennis. I’ve trained her since age 7 she also been offered to play where Tiafoe played at in college park Maryland to develop. but she is no match for a professional tennis player due to her lack of IQ and quickness. Coco is next up just as well as Felix.

Last edited:

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cac loving Venus is 39 and can't expect to win many more tournaments. Her cac loving sister is next. :smh:

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
OG Investor
Coco Gauff in middle of Wimbledon doubles text breakup
https://nypost.com/2019/07/04/coco-gauff-in-middle-of-wimbledon-doubles-text-breakup/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/t...artner-Harriet-Dart-text-team-Cori-Gauff.html

dart.jpg

Coco Gauff Mania has cost one player her Wimbledon mixed doubles partner.

British tennis star Harriet Dart said her playing partner Jay Clarke texted to let her know that he would instead be playing with Gauff, the 15-year-old American who has taken the grass courts by storm with upsets over Venus Williams and Magdalena Rybarikova.

“Essentially, due to the timing, I wasn’t able to find another partner in the time period available,” Dart told the Daily Mail of the event that started Thursday. “I did ask a number of people, but a lot of them were set up and that’s it. I think you should ask Jay about his reasons, that’s all I want to say.”

Clarke said that Gauff reached out to him to see if they could play together.

“I’ve known Cori for a few years now, we got in contact, and she asked me to play,” Clarke, who lost to Roger Federer in singles on Thursday, told reporters.

“That was tough. I had to let her know because I saw the pairs that had signed in, and I was thinking, ‘Am I even going to get in?’ I think it’s the worst decision I have had to make, especially mid-tournament. I didn’t sleep too well the night before I played Noah [Rubin in a first-round singles match], but hopefully she understands why I did it. I’m sorry for her it happened.”

Dart, 22, is also into the third round of the women’s singles draw and will face No. 1 Ash Barty next. She is trying to put the unique situation behind her.

“I spoke about it (Wednesday) I’d really just like to talk about my match (Thursday),” Dart said. “I think that’s in the past. Yeah, I think just got to look forward. I’m just concentrating on my singles. I think some things you can’t control. Just got to focus on the task in hand. That’s playing singles. That’s all I’m really worried about.”

tenor.gif

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I do not watch tennis but if she makes it big, which you can easily tell she will. But if she marry's a white a lot of us are going to be very upset. Hope her mom and dad taught her better.

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How much money did she get for that match? I'm thinking she might get some endorsements later on.
How much will the Champions of Wimbledon win?
Competitors in the single titles category have the potential to earn the most. Winners of this year’s Wimbledon singles titles (men’s and women’s) will each pocket a record £2.25 million in prize money, while runners up in the singles title will also take home £1.125 million each.

For each stage you earn a significant chunk more. If you get through from the second round to the fourth round you’ll take home an extra £100,000, with a jump from £63,000 to £163,000. At the third round there’s a cool £100,000 on offer. Quarter-finalists win£281,000, and semi-finalists pocket £562,000.

Winners in the doubles titles will each receive a cheque for £450,000, while the runners up will also win £225,000.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2018-07-12/how-much-do-wimbledon-tennis-players-winners-get-paid/

ANGRY MAN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How much money did she get for that match? I'm thinking she might get some endorsements later on.

She had already earned and 300k and has a endorsement deal of a million already. I watch the entire match with my daughter. They do similar things like toss the ball in the air several times. Double fault on serves, and when approaching the net they hit back to there opponent. Instead of hitting it soft barely clearing the net to make there opponent sprint to the net.

Breakdown emotionally when losing. At one point it look like she was about to cry. But shorty overcame her emotions and got back focus. Overall shorty had one hell of a comeback!

Simply_Black

International
International Member
Venus might as well hang it up.
There’s no lack of skill but her age and disease keep her from being competitive against younger high caliber talent.

Venus is 39! The fuck she still playing for? She done made a shitload of money. Retire and enjoy life. She'll never be a champion again. Serena is 37. Still competitive but her time is coming too.

I suppose she still loves playing tennis... Maybe for her now it's not so much about winning but more about playing competitively for the love of the sport.

Sometimes athletes reach a point where they stop caring about winning but just want to keep on doing what they know and love.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Saw part of it today

Happy for the young sista

She had already earned and 300k and has a endorsement deal of a million already. I watch the entire match with my daughter. They do similar things like toss the ball in the air several times. Double fault on serves, and when approaching the net they hit back to there opponent. Instead of hitting it soft barely clearing the net to make there opponent sprint to the net.

Breakdown emotionally when losing. At one point it look like she was about to cry. But shorty overcame her emotions and got back focus. Overall shorty had one hell of a comeback!

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
They didn't before but they put 1 in 1994 which is 14 which is the age Serena, Kournikova, Hingis turned pro before Coco Gauff most recently. The only 1 I remember that turned pro at a younger age was Jennifer Capriati, who in 1990 turned pro at age 13 and appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated that same year. I remember them saying that Serena probably would've turned pro earlier if they didn't put in the 14 yr old limit by that time. Tennis is diff than the major league sports, if you're not turning pro as a teenager you're probably never going to be a top ranked player ever if you go the NCAA route. I was cool with all the European and Aussie girl tennis players in college, even lived with 2 of them at 1 point and some of them tried to go on the pro tour after NCAA and were never able to really break into even the top 450 in the world. Now top 450 in the world in basketball means you're in the NBA making millions even as a bench warmer, in Tennis top 450 isn't enough to cover all your professional expenses. You have to be like top 6o in the world to make good money for the most part

They don't have age-restriction in pro Tennis?

kesq

Rising Star
Platinum Member

You know BGOL is evolving when we have tennis dads in the fam. That's a great thing.