Actress Gina Torres Explains Why She Felt Trapped Being A Latina Woman In African American Roles

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Actress Gina Torres Explains Why She Felt Trapped Being A Latina Woman In African American Roles
The actress says she used a “jedi mind trick” to overcome the challenge as a person of color in Hollywood.
CELEBRITY
By Alexis Reese
September 7, 2022
12:08 PM

mgid:arc:imageassetref:bet.com:7e35c2cb-f2f8-4ec6-9e7a-07c7d4eb511b

David Livingston
Afro-Latina actress Gina Torres is opening up about her struggles in Hollywood and how she often felt pigeonholed when it came to the kind of roles she was offered.
The Bronx-native, who is the daughter of Cuban parents, says that as an actress she felt like she had “no place” in the Hollywood world, in a conversation with Suggest.
“There was no place for me as a Latina, and then as a Black woman—I didn’t identify as a Black woman, because for me it was cultural. Because, of course, I present Black, I am a Black woman. I am also Cuban,” she shared. “When you’re here in the United States and they ask you to be in a box, and you don’t fit into the box…culturally, it was different. It was not one that I identified with. But to work, to survive, it was something that I had to learn.”
RELATED: Gina Torres Talks Professional Pursuits
A graduate from the LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts made her first on-screen debut in 1992 in an episode of Unnatural Pursuits. She has also had roles in 9-1-1: Lone Star, Law & Order, Suits, Bones, Riverdale and more.
For Torres, she practiced what she explains as a "jedi mind trick" to fit into the industry when it came to accepting roles as a Latina woman.
“To then learn to be whatever ‘Black’ was, and then feel like I was alienating that other part of myself, that Latina self,” she shares. “To keep myself from just being sad all the time about not being able to fully experience and express the entirety of myself.”
The 53-year-old will next co-star in the Netflix film romantic comedy feature The Perfect Find alongside Gabrielle Union and Keith Powers.

Black James Bond

International
International Member
Doesn't this say more about how the Latino Community view themselves more than how Hollywood categorised her.

How many shows coming out of Latin America you see any roles of prominence for black people. Heck when they redid West Side Story, black people were almost nonexistent.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
Real talk even knowing her name it never dawned on me that she was Latina. she was synopsis with playing black women

in this world you are what you look like and i can see why she was pigeonholed

but she should be grateful
There aren’t that many roles for ppl of color. But being categorized as a black woman gave her access to roles that didn’t exist for Latina actresses

everyone wanna be black
but they don’t really wanna be black

Last edited:

KA$H

GoldMember
BGOL Investor
These island latinos love to run with that bullshit.
They can't wait to not be considered black.

You never hear Alexander Skarsgard complaining about being casted as a White American. It's always those self hating idiots that feel the need to continually draw a line in the sand, that only they care about. Whites know she's black. Blacks know she's black. Hell even Cubans know that she's black. The only person confused is that dumb bitch....

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
She's not in denial of her blackness or African heritage,

She's saying that she was raised a Latina- which does not have a specific color assigned to it.

African-American culture is different in many ways, idiom, meals, rituals.

Yet, these are the roles that she is offered. And it's not always easy to play the roles because it's not native to her acculturation.

As well, the movie industry tends to have only a narrow view of what Latina looks like despite the fact that there is a spectrum of looks that Latino people have. Afro-latina has traditionally been rarely represented.

Last edited:

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
i just had a thought this is called ACTING not real life

there are countless british actors who are cast as African American. (its so commonplace black actors in America complain about it)
you never hear them complain about not being cast as british or being stuck playing american

no they are actors and go where the roles are
i think the bigger issue is that there are that many latina roles and in hollywood she doesnt the latina aesthic
damn shame that her complaints can easily be interpreted as 'anti-black'

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster

She's saying that she was raised a Latina- which does not have a specific color assigned to it.

Yet, these are the roles that she is offered. And it's not always easy to play the roles because it's not native to acculturation.

As well, the movie industry tends to have only a narrow view of what Latina looks like despite the fact that there is a spectrum of looks that Latino people have. Afro-latina has traditionally been rarely represented.

i understand her sentiment and syphamtic
but its called acting

her real grip is that there arent that many roles for latina women during most of her career and when hollywood sees her they see a black woman (not neccessarily a latina)

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
“There was no place for me as a Latina, and then as a Black woman—I didn’t identify as a Black woman, because for me it was cultural. Because, of course, I present Black, I am a Black woman. I am also Cuban,” she shared. “When you’re here in the United States and they ask you to be in a box, and you don’t fit into the box…culturally, it was different. It was not one that I identified with. But to work, to survive, it was something that I had to learn.”
This statement is ass backwards cause she is black let her tell it but culturaly she's different and why did she take the roles cause some real black person who is culturally not confused could of used that role.

Latino's you can't act black,be black,be apart of black culture when it's convenient to you,stay a latino and leave my people and the shit we do,have and will have THE FUCK ALONE.....BINGA BINGA BINGA AND BE LATINO.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
i understand her sentiment and syphamtic
but its called acting

her real grip is that there arent that many roles for latina women during most of her career and when hollywood sees her they see a black woman (not neccessarily a latina)
True which goes along with what she said, which is that there really is not a place in Hollywood for Black Latina women to be able to rep both at the same time in roles. More so speaking a reality than issuing a complaint.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
True which goes along with what she said, which is that there really is not a place in Hollywood for Black Latina women to be able to rep both at the same time in roles. More so speaking a reality than issuing a complaint.

i it get but alot ppl will interpret this as a dig or anti-black (like she had to settle for black roles)
its just like biracial kids who pass for black but want to claim their whiteness. That claim of whiteness however legit can easily be interpreted as minimizing/ignoring your blackness

Bluelaser

Rising Star
Registered
Here are some other actresses that you thought were Black but if you asked them they would consider themselves to be Latina or Afro Latina.

Irene Cara

images

Her father, Gaspar Escalera, a factory worker and retired saxophonist, was Puerto Rican, and
her mother, Louise, a movie theater usher, was Cuban-American.

Zoe Saldana
296bed068b12321dd12a929ffaf48e83--free-makeup-samples-high-school-yearbook.jpg

Her father was Dominican while her mother is Puerto Rican.
Saldana also has Lebanese and Haitian roots.
With regard to her racial identity, Saldana stated, “There's no one way to be black.

Thandiwe "Thandie" Newton

images

Thandiwe Newton was born in London.
She is the daughter of Zimbabwean mother Nyasha, a health-care worker from the Shona tribe,
Her British father Nick Newton, worked as a lab technician.

Tessa Thompson

170px-Tessa_Thompson_-_DSC_0109_%28cropped%29.jpg

Her father, singer-songwriter Marc Anthony Thompson, is Afro-Panamanian and the founder of the musical collective Chocolate Genius, Inc. Her mother is of half Mexican and half American ancestry.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yet, these are the roles that she is offered. And it's not always easy to play the roles because it's not native to her acculturation.

Its called being an actor.

You think Daniel Day Lewis knew what it was like to be a 19th century American politician?

You think Wesley Snipes ever hunted vampires growing up? :lol: :lol: :lol:

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Here are some other actresses that you thought were Black but if you asked them they would consider themselves to be Latina or Afro Latina.

Irene Cara

images

Her father, Gaspar Escalera, a factory worker and retired saxophonist, was Puerto Rican, and
her mother, Louise, a movie theater usher, was Cuban-American.

Zoe Saldana
296bed068b12321dd12a929ffaf48e83--free-makeup-samples-high-school-yearbook.jpg

Her father was Dominican while her mother is Puerto Rican.
Saldana also has Lebanese and Haitian roots
With regard to her racial identity, Saldana stated, “There's no one way to be black.

Thandiwe "Thandie" Newton
images

Thandiwe Newton was born in London.
She is the daughter of Zimbabwean mother Nyasha, a health-care worker from the Shona tribe,
Her British father Nick Newton, worked as a lab technician.

Tessa Thompson
170px-Tessa_Thompson_-_DSC_0109_%28cropped%29.jpg

Her father, singer-songwriter Marc Anthony Thompson, is Afro-Panamanian and the founder of the musical collective Chocolate Genius, Inc. Her mother is of half Mexican and half American ancestry.

How in the world is Thandie Newton "latina?"

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
On a lot of levels this just seems like a silly gripe. She was in total control of her roles. If she hated it she has no one to blame but herself. I have no fucks to give about this. I'm out.