Actress Gina Torres Explains Why She Felt Trapped Being A Latina Woman In African American Roles

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
If u read sum of these comments it comes from hate/evilness. Sometimes we get so caught up in that u can't see other ppl plight so instead of really reading what she said they wild out without even understanding, I came in here to play the bitch out based on the title of the thread but after reading what she said I got a better understanding of what she's trying to express in that statement
Right. Like you said, all she was doing was relating her own experience or plight.

Folks tend to be reactionary. "They don't like us". "They don't consider themselves Black." All that shit is anecdotal. Where's the numerical data on that? I can relate numerous Black Latinos I've known throughout my life who are proud of their African heritage. That's anecdotal too, though. I've seen a lot of African-American coons too, but I don't write off my fellow African-American Black folk because of some idiots. Every people of color has their coons. Where we misstep is wasting time getting into Tariq Nasheed mode where we start throwing out blanket statements about other Black folks who speak another language and acting like they are our adversaries. They are not who is our enemy. That divide and conquer shit is part of the real enemy's tactics.

Last edited:

Blkops

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Again,

She related her not having experienced or seen much in the way of roles playing characters who happen to be both Black and Latina.

That's all. And it wasn't packaged in any sense as complaining.

All the rest was extrapolation by dudes in this thread. The unnecessary outrage and actual complaining they were doing feels hypocritical and ultimately is swinging at someone who is not the bad guy.

She's not taking away "roles meant for sisters". She IS a sister. "Not being her true authentic self", what the hell does that even mean?

She's an ACTRESS. By definition, that means she plays roles for a living. By and large no one's hiring anyone to play themselves. That's what acting is, playing different characters.

THINK. What do you propose she does, since she offends you so much? Only look for roles playing Black Latinas? Did she not outline that those roles are almost nonexistent? Go into another profession? This is silly.

I've never seen anybody say one mumbling word protesting the countless roles that Idris Elba or Delroy Lindo played where they portrayed Americans. I don't think anyone should either. Just like people should lay off this sista.

If you want to point fingers then point them at white supremacy and it's stranglehold on that industry, those who act like Hollywood is only big enough to feature a limited amount of faces and who by and large are doing the overwhelming bulk of hiring and casting and who own all the studios except for Tyler Perry's.
“When you’re here in the United States and they ask you to be in a box, and you don’t fit into the box…culturally, it was different. It was not one that I identified with. But to work, to survive, it was something that I had to learn.
This her right? To make money she had to learn how to be black right? Sure sounds like she saying she wasn’t black culturally? As far as I care, be black or don’t. IDGAF but miss me with how trapped she was playing sisters and now she free to be a Latina. Stop making excuses for her latin ass.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Again,

She related her not having experienced or seen much in the way of roles playing characters who happen to be both Black and Latina.

All the rest was extrapolation by dudes in this thread. The unnecessary outrage and actual complaining they were doing feels hypocritical and ultimately is swinging at someone who is not the bad guy.

She's not taking away "roles meant for sisters". She IS a sister. "Not being her true authentic self", what the hell does that even mean?

She's an ACTRESS. By definition, that means she plays roles for a living. By and large no one's hiring anyone to play themselves. That's what acting is, playing different characters.

THINK. What do you propose she does, since she offends you so much? Only look for roles playing Black Latinas? Did she not outline that those roles are almost nonexistent? Go into another profession? This is silly.

I've never seen anybody say one mumbling word protesting the countless roles that Idris Elba or Delroy Lindo played where they portrayed Americans. I don't think anyone should either. Just like people should lay off this sista.

If you want to point fingers then point them at white supremacy and it's stranglehold on that industry, those who act like Hollywood is only big enough to feature a limited amount of faces and who by and large are doing the overwhelming bulk of hiring and casting and who own all the studios except for Tyler Perry's.

I said she was right with the limited scope and not enough opportunities for Afro latina people

See how you lumped me in and extrapolated what I said?

Ha

Cause I definitely didn't mention her taking roles from anyone

Or any of the other stuff that "these dudes" we're saying

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
“When you’re here in the United States and they ask you to be in a box, and you don’t fit into the box…culturally, it was different. It was not one that I identified with. But to work, to survive, it was something that I had to learn.
This her right? To make money she had to learn how to be black right? Sure sounds like she saying she wasn’t black culturally? As far as I care, be black or don’t. IDGAF but miss me with how trapped she was playing sisters and now she free to be a Latina. Stop making excuses for her latin ass.
Why do you hate this woman so much? What did she do to you? Why does that offend you? Did she say Black Americans are inferior? Did she say Black American culture is inferior?

She didn't say ANYTHING about feeling trapped playing sisters but now she's free to be a Latina. She's been Latina all along. Are you just now finding this out?

She basically said that being raised in a Black Latina culture, when she came here they require her to be this kind of person for the role, so she had to learn in order to work in Hollywood. She acknowledged from jump that she's Black. She was referring to learning how to be African-American, culturally.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
I said she was right with the limited scope and not enough opportunities for Afro latina people

See how you lumped me in and extrapolated what I said?

Ha

Cause I definitely didn't mention her taking roles from anyone

Or any of the other stuff that "these dudes" we're saying
I agreed with your opening statement.

The parts that I took issue with was what you said afterwards. I should have quoted only that part.

"But when you on suits delivering lines about being a black woman for 12 seasons and millions for the check

This part rings hollow."

Rings hollow HOW? Her point was that she hasn't had roles that allowed her to play a Black Latina. It was a commentary, not a complaint. Her playing the role you mentioned only underscores what she said.

Last edited:

Blkops

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why do you hate this woman so much? What did she do to you? Why does that offend you? Did she say Black Americans are inferior? Did she say Black American culture is inferior?

She didn't say ANYTHING about feeling trapped playing sisters but now she's free to be a Latina. She's been Latina all along. Are you just now finding this out?

She basically said that being raised in a Black Latina culture, when she came here they require her to be this kind of person for the role, so she had to learn in order to work in Hollywood. She acknowledged from jump that she's Black. She was referring to learning how to be African-American, culturally.
I hate her like you hate yourself. Immensely or not at all, you pick.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
What scene is this from?
Gina Torres is nude in the show “The Shield” season 5 episode 10 which was released in 2006. She has demonstrated nude butt here.

:cheers:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Again,

Yeah but we've never seen idris elba say that he's only been cast in roles for american blacks and as a black brit he doesn't really RELATE to american blacks culturally and he's like to have the opportunity to play a black brit roles....in american tv/films..

I mean if he said something like that you gonna tell me the reaction from American blacks shouldn't be

side-eye-annoyed.gif

Right. Like you said, all she was doing was relating her own experience or plight.

Folks tend to be reactionary. "They don't like us". "They don't consider themselves Black." All that shit is anecdotal. Where's the numerical data on that? I can relate numerous Black Latinos I've known throughout my life who are proud of their African heritage. That's anecdotal too, though. I've seen a lot of African-American coons too, but I don't write off my fellow African-American Black folk because of some idiots. Every people of color has their coons. Where we misstep is wasting time getting into Tariq Nasheed mode where we start throwing out blanket statements about other Black folks who speak another language and acting like they are our adversaries. They are not who is our enemy. That divide and conquer shit is part of the real enemy's tactics.

thats just the basic mindfuck of the concept of race and how weve ALL been indoctrinated with it.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Yeah but we've never seen idris elba say that he's only been cast in roles for american blacks and as a black brit he doesn't really RELATE to american blacks culturally and he's like to have the opportunity to play a black brit roles....in american tv/films..

I mean if he said something like that you gonna tell me the reaction from American blacks shouldn't be

side-eye-annoyed.gif

thats just the basic mindfuck of the concept of race and how weve ALL been indoctrinated with it.

Why would Idris say that he's only been cast in roles as American Blacks given the fact that he's played several roles as a Black Brit- most notably, John Luther?

Secondly, what you quoted from me was in response to someone saying she was taking away roles meant for sistas. She didn't take any roles from anyone, just as Idris and Delroy didn't take roles from American brothas. She IS a sista and they are brothas. Most of their roles were not roles that they selected themselves for. So then, if there are any fingers that should be pointed they should be in the direction of white Hollywood.

As well, Gina herself is an African-American. She was raised Afro-Cuban by her Black Cuban parents. But was born in NYC.

Thirdly, she didn't say she didn't relate to American Black folks. Relating to people and playing the roles of people are two different things.

"There was no place for me as a Latina, and then as a Black woman—I didn’t identify as a Black woman, because for me it was cultural. Because, of course, I present Black, I am a Black woman. I am also Cuban,” she shared. “When you’re here in the United States and they ask you to be in a box, and you don’t fit into the box…culturally, it was different. It was not one that I identified with. But to work, to survive, it was something that I had to learn...

For Torres, she practiced what she explains as a "jedi mind trick" to fit into the industry when it came to accepting roles as a Latina woman.
“To then learn to be whatever ‘Black’ was, and then feel like I was alienating that other part of myself, that Latina self,” she shares. “To keep myself from just being sad all the time about not being able to fully experience and express the entirety of myself.”

She is saying that she identified as a Black Cuban woman as opposed to identifying solely as a Black American woman sans the Latina side...And in the context of working in Hollywood and what their expectations were, more pointedly she was indicating that Hollywood sees an African-American woman character and a Latina-American character as being two different and separate and certain ways. She sees from her perspective as a Black Latina that America is wanting you to pick a side (as evidenced by the highlighted portion).

I wasn't offended at anything she said. It was her experience. The difficulty she experienced internally, she found a way to cope and kept it moving. I definitely was not offended as an African-American man. What has America done for my people to be that tethered to it? My family have been in the U.S. going back centuries, but my Black people are many places in and outside of North America, speak many languages and dialects and have many cultures and subcultures.

Absolutely.

"Yes, I can say for the most part I've worked very consistently and I'm incredibly blessed to be able to say that."
- Gina Torres

Expanding on what she was talking about in the OP interview

Last edited:

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
While re-watching Suits in which she had a good 5/6 year run and thinking about various characters she played in other shows, I wonder how exactly she would have played those characters specifically if they were written as Afro-Cuban? Cause everytime I've seen her work, she presents herself as a strong "black" woman but nothing about those characters as written made it seem like it had to be a black woman playing the part.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I REALLY thought homie was black!!! It is fcuked up no doubt, BUT who is at fault here? The audience that doesn't look into the actors they like, the industry that pushes a certain type, or the actor that plays a certain role over and over? I understand you gotta eat, but can you really be mad that your people that don't recognize your nationality when you play mostly another nationality? Same thing with Gina Torres, I get the depressing feeling of not being able to be who you are, but you play into that with the roles you take.

Playing a role where the audience has to guess does no favors to you! Gina Torres played the wife to Forrest Whitaker in The Shield. How would we know that this is a interracial couple? Laz Alonso played Mothers Milk in The Boys. Divorcee from a Black woman with a Black child wearing a different Hip-Hop inspired T-shirt. You're asking the audience to do A LOT of heavy lifting so you can feel good in your skin.

...I just found out this very moment...there aren't any black reoccurring characters in The Boys (minus Jessie Usher) THANKS A LOT LAZ!!!!