AGREE/DISAGREE: Mary J. Blige - No Female Friends For My Husband

Should married people have FRIENDS of the opposite sex?

• Total voters

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Mary J. Blige: No Female Friends For My Husband

n-MARY-J-BLIGE-large570.jpg

As we steadily approach the holiday season in the coming weeks, Mary J. Blige is anticipating two special occasions. On Dec. 2, the Grammy Award-winning songstress will release her 13th studio album, “The London Sessions,” followed by her 11th wedding anniversary to husband-manager, Kendu Isaacs on Dec. 7.

During a recent interview with The Telegraph’s “Stella Magazine,” Blige professed her love for Isaacs, and dished on the benefits of marrying her manager.

“He always has my back – he’s going to fight to the death for Mary J Blige,” she admitted. “The downside is that there’s no separation – it’s on all the time. When you don’t feel like answering to your manager, he’s still your husband. If one of you doesn’t want to talk about something right now, you have to respect that. And you have to respect each other’s space.”

In addition to respecting each other’s space, Blige also revealed why she decided to ban Isaacs from engaging in any platonic relationships with other women.

“All females for me, all guys for him,” the 43-year-old revealed. “There’s none of that, ‘Oh, that’s my female friend. Oh, that’s my guy friend.’ No. Not in a marriage, I’ve never seen that work.”

Naya Rivera Doesn't Believe in Having Friends of the Opposite Sex When You're Married

Naya Rivera is laying down the law when it comes to marriage etiquette. Or at least, her marriage.

The newlywed, who married Ryan Dorsey in a surprise ceremony over the summer in Mexico, was a guest co-host on The View today and joined the group of ladies as they discussed Mary J. Blige's comment on how she makes it work with her hubby of nearly 12 years—no friends of the opposite sex.

And guess what? Naya completely agrees.

"I think that's amazing. I'm with Mary. I just got married and I'm pretty sure I told my husband that like two days ago," Rivera said.

"It's really not so much a rule as I understand it, because I feel like you're playing with fire and opening up the floodgates here, and you're having issues in your marriage, but someone is going to talk to the opposite sex to get advice or whatever and you should be talking to your partner. So I don't believe in it."

However, fellow co-hosts Whoopi Goldberg, Rosie Perez, Rosie O'Donnell and Nicolle Wallace disagreed, and feel as though it's beneficial to have friends of both sexes. So, Naya explained why she felt the opposite.

"I got what you were saying as well. I feel the exact same way. It's not so much that you like don't trust your relationship or your husband or your wife or anything. You kind of don't trust outsiders and other people. You don't know what their motives are.

"I feel like there's a difference between having an issue with that when you're married and when you're just dating someone. I feel like when you're married, if you're now someone's wife, I'm sorry, ladies, but you got to get back a little bit more. It's different."

You AGREE/DISAGREE that married people shouldn't have friends of the OPPOSITE SEX???

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
Add "Single" friend of the opposite sex and I would have to agree somewhat. I'm not married but the old saying goes, "A shoulder to cry on becomes a dick to ride on". I've seen that more failures involving married folks having single attractive "friends" than I have seen successful platonic relationships with single and married folks of opposite sexes.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
I'll be damned if wifey in a room talked to some dude thats not a family member. Or talking bout she going to lunch with a dude. Fuck that.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
How do you stop grown people from being friends with anyone? That's the kind of shit that makes people think marriage is some prison.
Any friend, no matte what sex, should be a secondary player in a married person's life. That means we don't hang out all the time and we're not on the phone talking all the time. That causes problems in any circumstance because you're neglecting your mate in favor of this other person.
But ruling out friendships based purely on the sex of the other person is some immature, insecure shit. If your mate is going to fuck someone else, they are going to fuck someone else. What you don't want is for them to feel like they have to hide people and friends from you, that's where shit gets shaky.
With everyone out in the open, if something goes down, you'll see it instead of it coming out of the blue.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
If you're mate's going to fuck around, they're do it whether they have opposite sex friends or not. No insecurity helping rules are going to prevent that. That being said, I support Mary on this. If it'll stop her from making another "man done me wrong" anthem, then I'm all for it!

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
If you're mate's going to fuck around, they're do it whether they have opposite sex friends or not. No insecurity helping rules are going to prevent that. That being said, I support Mary on this. If it'll stop her from making another "man done me wrong" anthem, then I'm all for it!

:lol:

Those are her best joints though.:D

swiftandsilent

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

C/S Mary is on point when she is coming out of a BAD RELATIONSHIP. :yes:

Grown Folks gonna do what Grown folks do no matter "Da Rules". :yes::yes:

freshnclean

Rising Star
Registered
Add "Single" friend of the opposite sex and I would have to agree somewhat. I'm not married but the old saying goes, "A shoulder to cry on becomes a dick to ride on". I've seen that more failures involving married folks having single attractive "friends" than I have seen successful platonic relationships with single and married folks of opposite sexes.

The even deeper question is, why would someone single and attractive be so close friends with someone married?

Theres a reason married people hang with other married people for the most part. Most married people I know distance themselves from their single friends, which happens naturally, because single people cant relate to their lifestyle (and vice versa)

Last edited:

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor

C/S Mary is on point when she is coming out of a BAD RELATIONSHIP. :yes:

Grown Folks gonna do what Grown folks do no matter "Da Rules". :yes::yes:

You ever seen her in concert? Her show's divided into 2 halves. The first half, she rocks the fuck out and her band GETS IT IN! The second half is the anthem half, and midway through that 2nd half, every brother in there knows that he ain't getting no stank on his hanglow tonight! Broads are in the audience ice grilling dudes!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
The even deeper question is, why would someone single and attractive be so close friends with someone married?

Theres a reason married people hang with other married people for the most part. Most married people I know distance themselves from their single friends, which happens naturally, because single people cant relate to their lifestyle (and vice versa)

You got it. Single males.....shit, males period always on the hunt.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

You ever seen her in concert? Her show's divided in 2 halves. The first half, she rocks the fuck out and her band GETS IT IN! The second half is the anthem half, and midway through that 2nd half, every brother in there knows that he ain't getting no stank on his hanglow tonight! Broads are in the audience ice grilling dudes!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
^^^^^^

truth.com

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Come on man. You know hurt depressed Mary is the best version of MJB.

Sent from my Nexus 5

PussyMan

Rising Star
OG Investor
Some people are not mentally capable of being in relationships. Rules like this is a sign of a few screws being loose or missing from their brain.

stick.man

Potential Star
Registered
I agree, the great social philosopher Chris Rock once said "Men dont have platonic friends, we just have women we havent fucked yet"

stick.man

Potential Star
Registered

Stolen

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You cats criticizing her are either liars or naive.

I honestly dont have many females friends that i would hangout with on a one of basis that i havent fucked at some point or wouldnt fucked under the right circumstance. Once you get married its time to make lifestyle changes. And part of those changes is removing yourself from environments that can be tempting or compromising.

Most non familial male/female dynamics are a few drinks or one tragedy away from turning intimate. Most not all. And if you can eliminate all that shit by simply saying "hey baby, we probably shouldnt have one on one dealings/dates (hanging out) with friends of the opposite sex" then sobeit.

Obviously there are exceptions here and there but as a general rule its good practice.

shaddyvillethug

Cac Free Zone
BGOL Investor
Yo my man

U are not in a relationship nor are u married

Why are u even giving advice?

U still giggle when u go on dates?

marca

Rising Star
OG Investor
while all the above is true be honest about ourselves, all our sex partners weren't long time or even short term friends, some weren't even friends. So weather you have them, or just met them, or they turn out to be the friend of a friend, the only reason you will or will not cheat is YOU.

K

kwazdog

We all renting, male or female. Born alone die alone, like guru said " you can't own no loops". Lol.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
No way I would like under rules that limit my access to deal with anyone. If you can't trust each other what is the damn point.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
You cats criticizing her are either liars or naive.

I honestly dont have many females friends that i would hangout with on a one of basis that i havent fucked at some point or wouldnt fucked under the right circumstance. Once you get married its time to make lifestyle changes. And part of those changes is removing yourself from environments that can be tempting or compromising.

Most non familial male/female dynamics are a few drinks or one tragedy away from turning intimate. Most not all. And if you can eliminate all that shit by simply saying "hey baby, we probably shouldnt have one on one dealings/dates (hanging out) with friends of the opposite sex" then sobeit.

Obviously there are exceptions here and there but as a general rule its good practice.

So if your wife were to leave who would you turn to?

This is how so many men end up in a trick bag. First their woman bounces. Then they get lonely. Problem is they have nobody to give them female comfort (which is more than just sex). Next they get desperate. All obsessed over some basic broad just because she smiled at him more than once.

Women know this. They can tell a divorced man in a second. They know how to juice him for everything he's got whether it's money, attention or masochistic drama. They force a rebound. Man marries her grinning like a fool the whole way to his grave.

Now if he would have kept that friend he would at least have someone he can trust on his side.

Fuck around or don't Fuck around. That's on you, but never stop 'knowing' women

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor
No female friends for me. No male friends for her. PERIOD.
For what????? People of the opposite sex that are friends eventually try to hook up. Its just nature.

King Natty

Rising Star
Registered
I'm not married but I don't think I'd be cool with her having male friends, unless they were gay. Like going to the movies or dinner with some dude? Late night phone conversations when I'm sleep? Nah

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Nothing wrong with having a friend, but hanging out with them and going to their house? Fuck outta here. Guy's don't have female friends, just women they haven't fucked yet.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you're with someone you can't trust, then why are you with them?

This is that same crap that Steve Harvey and his wife engage in. "If I don't have friends of the opposite sex, I won't be tempted to cheat".:bullshit:

What about female or male friends that you had BEFORE this relationship?

Does being friends with other married couples guarantee fidelity?

What about being alone with single "in-laws" of the opposite sex?

If you're so desperate to be in a relationship that you have to make up such an extreme rule, that excludes being friends with members of HALF the planet, then there's a real problem you're not addressing. :smh:

As it's been pointed out already; if a person has it in them to cheat, then, they might cheat. Period.
You have to decide whether or not to stay in the relationship, knowing who this person truly is.
The best you can do as a loving partner, is to do your part to love them as best you can and try not give them a reason to cheat. The rest is on them.

This arrangement wouldn't work for me;
but hey, if it works for them, best wishes...:cool:

King Natty

Rising Star
Registered
If you're with someone you can't trust, then why are you with them?

This is that same crap that Steve Harvey and his wife engage in. "If I don't have friends of the opposite sex, I won't be tempted to cheat".:bullshit:

What about female or male friends that you had BEFORE this relationship?

Does being friends with other married couples guarantee fidelity?

What about being alone with single "in-laws" of the opposite sex?

If you're so desperate to be in a relationship that you have to make up such an extreme rule, that excludes being friends with members of HALF the planet, then there's a real problem you're not addressing. :smh:

As it's been pointed out already; if a person has it in them to cheat, then, they might cheat. Period.
You have to decide whether or not to stay in the relationship, knowing who this person truly is.
The best you can do as a loving partner, is to do your part to love them as best you can and try not give them a reason to cheat. The rest is on them.

This arrangement wouldn't work for me;
but hey, if it works for them, best wishes...:cool:

So if your wife wanted to hang out and some dude's house for the weekend you'd be cool with it?