Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump, dead at 68

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
dam man. i was already into anime before.....but when toonami and dragonball z came out i was hooked. mid 90s i was locked in 3pm to 5pm ...just leave me alone. going back and finding all the dragonball shows. before i knew anything about comic cons...just running into fans at the local comicbook shops and comic shows they'd have in the malls even at ebgames and just talking dragonball man was just great times. r.i.p. and thank you for all you have given and your vision

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
"DRAGONBALL Z" was never My thing. Though I was a fan of Anime since The late 60s, it was always considered one of those very Geeky/Nerdy Niche things outside of Comics, "STAR TREK", "STAR WARS", etc.

But "DRAGONBALL" hit this country like a tidal wave during the early 90s (if not a few years before). I didn't pay attention until a lot of My Oregon Peeps hipped Me to it when I worked in Comics (Darkhorse and its Stores) for a stretch. And when I started hitting Comic Book Conventions again in PDX, then back in NYC.

And to see over the decades the many Black Fans "DRAGONBALL" gained, was a site in itself. Haven't seen this much Black emotional outpouring for an Asian Cultural Icon since Bruce Lee. And a lot of US cried over the latter's death (I being one of them).

Goes to show you that no matter what Culture it originates from, Art, in its various forms will always extend past (practically) ALL Boundaries.

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
Fuck Akira Toriyama

Mr. Popo was initially envisioned by series creator Akira Toriyama as a reptilian humanoid with a chicken-like beak that had several variant designs, including one sketch with curly hair, though all of which were ultimately discarded.[1] Later concept art by Toriyama depict him as a slender man dressed in a manner reminiscent of Namu, an Indian yogi-inspired character who fights series protagonist Goku in a martial arts tournament early in the series.[1] Toriyama ultimately settled on the current design, a portly humanoid with bright facial expressions whose clothing resembles Jinns, supernatural beings from Arabian mythology and Islamic theology.[1] The early concept art sketches of Mr. Popo are included in the 30th Anniversary Dragon Ball Super History Book published in 2016.[2]

main-qimg-2e21c631d6bf05e429ffb50fc9a399e2

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Agreed, fuck that guy.
He drew white characters with big lips also in the original series and he said the reason he drew characters like that was he had problems with closed mouths not showing clearly on dark characters he later corrected the problem in dragon ball super

If you still wanna be an asshole you can join the loser hater list with the fat faggit getting roasted in this clip

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He drew white characters with big lips also in the original series and he said the reason he drew characters like that was he had problems with closed mouths not showing clearly on dark characters he later corrected the problem in dragon ball super

If you still wanna be an asshole you can join the loser hater list with the fat faggit getting roasted in this clip

Never seen 1 white character look like that

Im sure he denied it tho.
U know, racist shit

Dude said if you don't like racists your a haterrrrrr!

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Never seen 1 white character look like that

Im sure he denied it tho.
U know, racist shit

Dude said if you don't like racists your a haterrrrrr!
I was talking about extras not the main characters like people in the crowd at the tournaments etc also the wolf man that master roshi fought had big lips in his human form .

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Agreed, fuck that guy.
I mean I can feel that, but this is a show from Japan 40 years ago.

If you bring modern sensibility to any media thats nearly half a century old it will fall short. I will say if you look at Pan's teacher, if you look at the medium in general, it has improved from where it was.
Fj9QoM3XoAA2j8J