Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump, dead at 68

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I mean I can feel that, but this is a show from Japan 40 years ago.

If you bring modern sensibility to any media thats nearly half a century old it will fall short. I will say if you look at Pan's teacher, if you look at the medium in general, it has improved from where it was.
Fj9QoM3XoAA2j8J

Your right, I agree regarding the cartoons. The company would never let him put that shit out looking like that today.

However regarding Toriyama as an individual, I've never read an apology, just excuses and deflection.
And now he's dead. He was no friend to me, or my people. It's safe to say that since he's passed he stayed ignorant till the day he died. And he didn't have to, so fuck that guy forever.

I'm not out here telling people boycott.
Not saying don't watch it.

All I said is fuck him for depicting my people in horrendous and harmful ways.
That should be relatable.....

jerrynuevo

Day 1 member
BGOL Investor
Thank you Sir. Your influence will live on. Thank you and rest Easy bro....even though you didn't fux with black folks lol

bxclark

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I am a little late but I had to jump in here to say RIP as well. I was most certainly influenced by DBZ and amongst many other characteristics, Goku taught many of us about perseverance, diligence, learning from your losses/not being afraid to lose, the importance of family and friends, etc... So much can be said about the influence of the series....

One of my close female friends at work (who is several years younger) is into anime asked why so many people are into DB/DBZ and I literally had to clear my throat before explaining.. lol

All this to say I'd be lying if I said I wasn't heavily entertained by Akira Toriyama's talent and influenced by his creativity. I'm turning 46 and still a huge fan.

I've been to a few funerals lately and think about those in my life I would be compelled to speak at their funeral when they pass. I would feel compelled to get up and speak to this man's influence on mine.

I was at a friend's son's b-ball game (elementary school age) and one of the Dad's yelled to his son, go Kaio-ken on them... I laughed and hit him with the fist pump when he turned around..and told him I knew the reference...lol!

RIP to the Sensei and props to everyone who shared their feelings on his passing.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Your right, I agree regarding the cartoons. The company would never let him put that shit out looking like that today.

However regarding Toriyama as an individual, I've never read an apology, just excuses and deflection.
And now he's dead. He was no friend to me, or my people. It's safe to say that since he's passed he stayed ignorant till the day he died. And he didn't have to, so fuck that guy forever.

I'm not out here telling people boycott.
Not saying don't watch it.

All I said is fuck him for depicting my people in horrendous and harmful ways.
That should be relatable.....
I feel you

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am a little late but I had to jump in here to say RIP as well. I was most certainly influenced by DBZ and amongst many other characteristics, Goku taught many of us about perseverance, diligence, learning from your losses/not being afraid to lose, the importance of family and friends, etc... So much can be said about the influence of the series....

One of my close female friends at work (who is several years younger) is into anime asked why so many people are into DB/DBZ and I literally had to clear my throat before explaining.. lol

All this to say I'd be lying if I said I wasn't heavily entertained by Akira Toriyama's talent and influenced by his creativity. I'm turning 46 and still a huge fan.

I've been to a few funerals lately and think about those in my life I would be compelled to speak at their funeral when they pass. I would feel compelled to get up and speak to this man's influence on mine.

I was at a friend's son's b-ball game (elementary school age) and one of the Dad's yelled to his son, go Kaio-ken on them... I laughed and hit him with the fist pump when he turned around..and told him I knew the reference...lol!

RIP to the Sensei and props to everyone who shared their feelings on his passing.
I think for younger people Dragon Ball doesnt hit the same way because they have seen his formula perfected in different ways.

The Dark Tournament of Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Bleach

The frame of reference loses its luster when you have seen the fruits of its labor first.

You see it in animation comedy now too. Getting someone to watch and enjoy Aqua Teen Hunger Force or even Family as a young person who grew up on rick and morty is pretty much impossible. Its not their point of reference.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
You identify as animé. On a black message board, defending wild racists.

Gtfoh
How do you identify as anime? I'm not a weabo or however you spell it. I don't mess with anime beyond Dragonball ,Voltron robotech, Castlevania that's it either that or a video game adaptation like stret fighter. That's it I don't know about all that other obscure stuff in the anime thread and you won't even find me in that thread.

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How do you identify as anime? I'm not a weabo or however you spell it. I don't mess with anime beyond Dragonball ,Voltron robotech, Castlevania that's it either that or a video game adaptation like stret fighter. That's it I don't know about all that other obscure stuff in the anime thread and you won't even find me in that thread.

Your white and late