Anybody Own A Samsung Refrigerator

Cannibal

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was considering Samsung until I spoke with the salesman at Bestbuy. He explained that closed ice maker systems are better because when you open the freezer the closed system maintains its temperature, vs the Samsung and other that are open meaning you can look down into the ejection joint and see all the ice and shit. You can see it in this picture here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27-...proof-stainless-steel/5968300.p?skuId=5968300. How the ice systems is enclosed. Now, I don't own one, just explaining what the do said and it made sense.

Samsung you can see that its not closed and you can look down into the feed port for the ice, which can let warm air into it.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...stant-stainless-steel/6323232.p?skuId=6323232

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
So what are your thoughts on GE fridges. I'm considering getting rid of my current GE fridge. The damn water line for the fridge water dispenser keeps freezing. I've had to either heat the water line under the door or leave the freezer door open for a while to defrost that bitch so it can work. It's become a huge pain in the ass now :angry:

bluemoon

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I had a Samsung Rf267abrs for 11 years. I bought it in 2008 from best buy. Trouble happened in year 5 with the icemaker. Year 7 with the defroster failing and ice forming on the vents. I repaired the problems myself, but they kept recurring. I finally gave up when the compressor failed. I added Freon to the compressor and that fix last for 9 months. I will never buy another Samsung. I think I replaced the icemaker 3 times.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I was considering Samsung until I spoke with the salesman at Bestbuy. He explained that closed ice maker systems are better because when you open the freezer the closed system maintains its temperature, vs the Samsung and other that are open meaning you can look down into the ejection joint and see all the ice and shit. You can see it in this picture here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27-...proof-stainless-steel/5968300.p?skuId=5968300. How the ice systems is enclosed. Now, I don't own one, just explaining what the do said and it made sense.

Samsung you can see that its not closed and you can look down into the feed port for the ice, which can let warm air into it.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...stant-stainless-steel/6323232.p?skuId=6323232
I think you meant to post a different model. This one is closed as well. Mine is in the bottom drawer of the freezer and is open to the air to scoop ice. It's about 7 years old and I've not yet had any issues with the Ice Maker.
412448.jpg

The one you have shown has a dispenser just like the LG model.

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
So what are your thoughts on GE fridges. I'm considering getting rid of my current GE fridge. The damn water line for the fridge water dispenser keeps freezing. I've had to either heat the water line under the door or leave the freezer door open for a while to defrost that bitch so it can work. It's become a huge pain in the ass now :angry:

Got a GE fridge, oven & dishwasher respectively. All just over 10 years old. No issues with any of them thankfully. No water dispenser or icemaker with the fridge though - thus less headache(s) to worry about with it.

How old is your current GE fridge, and how long before the issue started to set in?

a1rimrocka

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I just replaced a 14 year old (I had it for 12) GE side-by-side a few weeks ago. Freezer kept icing up (an issue I'd fixed a few years ago) even after replacing seals, ice door, etc. I'd replaced a few other things myself over the years like the control board, defrost heater, etc. I disconnected the water line years ago so didn't have same issue as you.

I looked at GE but their new models didn't seem to have changed much in terms of layout, tech, etc.

My main criteria were 25+ cu ft, black stainless and in-door ice bin (more shelf space). Ended up going with this Whirlpool. Really like that the freezer has closed bins too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpo...esistant-Black-Stainless-WRS588FIHV/301991230

Did have 1 issue.. the water filter it came with left a bad after taste. Removed it completely and installed an in-line filter on back of the fridge

https:// www.amazon.com/Watts-Capacity-refrigerator-Chlorine-Sediment/dp/B000E77I0Y

Oh and it doesn't come with a butter tray but you can get one on Amazon for this model

https:// www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Part-Number-W10324760-BIN-CNTLVR/dp/B008DJQTSC

Last edited:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Got a GE fridge, oven & dishwasher respectively. All just over 10 years old. No issues with any of them thankfully. No water dispenser or icemaker with the fridge though - thus less headache(s) to worry about with it.

How old is your current GE fridge, and how long before the issue started to set in?
I bought my house in 2015 and the fridge was left by the previous owners. I'm not sure how long they had it prior. I had the issue happen once within my 1st year there but this summer I've had it happen at least 4 times now. 3 of which were within the past month :smh:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I just replaced a 14 year old (I had it for 12) GE side-by-side a few weeks ago. Freezer kept icing up (an issue I'd fixed a few years ago) even after replacing seals, ice door, etc. I'd replaced a few other things myself over the years like the control board, defrost heater, etc. I disconnected the water line years ago so didn't have same issue as you.

I looked at GE but their new models didn't seem to have changed much in terms of layout, tech, etc.

My main criteria were 25+ cu ft, black stainless and in-door ice bin (more shelf space). Ended up going with this Whirlpool. Really like that the freezer has closed bins too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpo...esistant-Black-Stainless-WRS588FIHV/301991230

Did have 1 issue.. the water filter it came with left a bad after taste. Removed it completely and installed an in-line filter on back of the fridge

https:// www.amazon.com/Watts-Capacity-refrigerator-Chlorine-Sediment/dp/B000E77I0Y
Nice! I like that in-door ice bin option

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I bought my house in 2015 and the fridge was left by the previous owners. I'm not sure how long they had it prior. I had the issue happen once within my 1st year there but this summer I've had it happen at least 4 times now. 3 of which were within the past month :smh:
During the heatwave? That may be THE issue...ambient temperature around the water inlet.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Damn. That's frustrating, man. Especially when it's recurring. I think moving forward I'll probably replace the appliances with ones that are equally as manageable. Sort of like with newer cars ... all the electronics in dashboards & whatnot ... cars are like computers. Whereas older models had less potential headaches to worry about (but lacked all the luxuries & conveniences).

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Damn. That's frustrating, man. Especially when it's recurring. I think moving forward I'll probably replace the appliances with ones that are equally as manageable. Sort of like with newer cars ... all the electronics in dashboards & whatnot ... cars are like computers. Whereas older models had less potential headaches to worry about (but lacked all the luxuries & conveniences).
That's what I hate about the HE washing machine though. All that Tech has just resulted in what used to be a 15 min wash cycle into an hour and the Load Sensing is muhfuckin' finicky it pisses me off. UE errors are undefeated.:angry:

I miss the old agitating type of washer too...you could see the clothes being handled. The new machines tubs just rotate back and forth while the load just sits there motionless. Those muhfuckas weigh a Metric Ton too compared to the old models. :lol:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
That's what I hate about the HE washing machine though. All that Tech has just resulted in what used to be a 15 min wash cycle into an hour and the Load Sensing is muhfuckin' finicky it pisses me off. UE errors are undefeated.:angry:

I miss the old agitating type of washer too...you could see the clothes being handled. The new machines tubs just rotate back and forth while the load just sits there motionless. Those muhfuckas weigh a Metric Ton too compared to the old models. :lol:

Agreed re: newer makes and models. Have had some laughs with people discussing older model toilets too. The kinds that wasted GALLONS of water but actually cleaned the bowl when flushed. Many of these newer toilets with low-flow or minimal water usage are like airplane toilets. They forever need cleaning - especially with households giving them constant usage.

:roflmao3:

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Agreed re: newer makes and models. Have had some laughs with people discussing older model toilets too. The kinds that wasted GALLONS of water but actually cleaned the bowl when flushed. Many of these newer toilets with low-flow or minimal water usage are like airplane toilets. They forever need cleaning - especially with households giving them constant usage.

:roflmao3:
Hell yeah! There is a huge market for those old toilets too. :money::money::money:The ones that flush with the force of a commercial commode. :lol:
You could flush 8qts of burnt beef stew down with NO problem. :roflmao: One flush and a clean bowl too.:giggle:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Hell yeah! There is a huge market for those old toilets too. :money::money::money:The ones that flush with the force of a commercial commode. :lol:
You could flush 8qts of burnt beef stew down with NO problem. :roflmao: One flush and a clean bowl too.:giggle:

Hilarious visual!

Pops has those older toilets and they STAY clean. I told him these new-age joints don't compare to the real-deal old-school!

:roflmao::roflmao2::roflmao3:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
During the heatwave? That may be THE issue...ambient temperature around the water inlet.
It started before the recent heatwave and hairbrush again this morning. I am wondering if it's possibly related to my hvac being on the fritz & having low pressure resulting in insufficient performance at cooling my home

bigdog_bx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bought a Samsung fridge and stove, worst move ever...I replaced a 20 year old fridge that worked perfectly because the Samsung set looked great...SMH...Ice machine makes like 10 cubes in like 2 hours. It is the worst...Its only a year old and Im thinking about replacing this piece of shit...

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Bought a Samsung fridge and stove, worst move ever...I replaced a 20 year old fridge that worked perfectly because the Samsung set looked great...SMH...Ice machine makes like 10 cubes in like 2 hours. It is the worst...Its only a year old and Im thinking about replacing this piece of shit...
Have you done any troubleshooting? Any kinks in the water line that would restrict the flow? Anything restricting the inlet from the factory, like a tiny piece of plastic or metal?

bigdog_bx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Have you done any troubleshooting? Any kinks in the water line that would restrict the flow? Anything restricting the inlet from the factory, like a tiny piece of plastic or metal?

I had 3 service calls, replaced the whole freezer unit 3 times...The repair guy said this fridge is shit and that the water pressure needs to be really high for it to work at all. I have decent pressure, and my other fridge made too much ice, now this new fangled one can't make enough ice for shit??? This is a nightmare. No kinks in the line, had the whole line changed to make sure it was good money. Honestly I research the shit out of everything I do, but this was a vanity buy and I'm paying for it...

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I had a GE fridge for 14 years with no issues. I then changed to Samsung appliances and the fridge ice maker is fucking up, the dishwasher doesn’t dry and the microwave already packed up. I’m getting subzero/wolf this time and they last 25 years.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I had a GE fridge for 14 years with no issues. I then changed to Samsung appliances and the fridge ice maker is fucking up, the dishwasher doesn’t dry and the microwave already packed up. I’m getting subzero/wolf this time and they last 25 years.
Damn Samsung really screwed you over with those appliances :smh:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Yeah, I don’t even want it anymore. Good thing is that they are shiny and nice looking , so I will sell all off them with my house and make it look like I’m doing the buyer a favor.
I feel you. If I buy another fridge, then I'll either sell the current one or just move it to the garage and use as extra storage for foods that are not critical or as a beer/wine fridge and extra freezer.

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I feel you. If I buy another fridge, then I'll either sell the current one or just move it to the garage and use as extra storage for foods that are not critical or as a beer/wine fridge and extra freezer.
Stay with an American fridge/appliance. Fuck all that LG, Samsung, daewoo bull shit.
GE and kitchen aid are the best. If you’re going real upscale, then GE monogram or subzero.

a1rimrocka

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How do y'all feel about side by side vs french door fridges?

It's really personal preference. I prefer not to reach down to dig thru stuff in the freezer. Others like being able to fit wider items (pizza box, cake, etc.) in the french door

Some say french door is less reliable (and more expensive to fix)

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Washer and dryers..boards crap out..and get stuck with door closed with full tank of water...Maytag run the dryer and washer game..brah
what's your opinion on this one

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I actually bought a Samsung Washer and Dryer front loader. Had an issue once in the 8 months we have had it. But i unplugged it for a few then it has been fine since.

My mother hates her Samsung refrigerator.

Varis

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How does stainless steel appliances hold up? My white fridge works but rust is coming through, i painted it with epoxy and it last for a good while but damn.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How does stainless steel appliances hold up? My white fridge works but rust is coming through, i painted it with epoxy and it last for a good while but damn.
The house we moved into has stainless steel fridge, microwave and oven. She ruined the microwave oven scratching the surface with an abrasive sponge, no clue why. They have stainless steel wipes or you can use a soft cloth. Main thing is smudges everywhere. As long as you wipe it down often and dont scratch it up you should be fine.

Its all Whirlpool. Had a issue with the fridge, the capacitor went out. I bought this 20 dollar part, spliced the wires and its been fine ever since.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Bump to see how things have changed with fridge brands. I think I'm ready to finally replace my fridge w/ a french door fridge and move the current one to the garage for less immediate items like beer, wine, and freezer items I don't need to get to immediately. Definitely staying the hell away from Samsung. I have thought about LG but haven't heard much about them for positive or negative. My washer/dryer are LG and have been working very well since 2015. What other brands should I be considering?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Have an older GE fridge, microwave, dishwasher & oven with gas stovetop. No issues with any of the appliances; knock on wood. They were 2 years old when buying the place in 2009. I think the extended life (especially for the oven & dishwasher) is because they don't have a tremendous amount of wear and tear on them. More likely to replace the stove & fridge ahead of them. Hardly ever need the microwave either.

No bells and whistles on the fridge. Simple.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Bump to see how things have changed with fridge brands. I think I'm ready to finally replace my fridge w/ a french door fridge and move the current one to the garage for less immediate items like beer, wine, and freezer items I don't need to get to immediately. Definitely staying the hell away from Samsung. I have thought about LG but haven't heard much about them for positive or negative. My washer/dryer are LG and have been working very well since 2015. What other brands should I be considering?

That's a good question re: LG. How are people liking their appliances?

I only have experience with their TVs. Picked up a 55" TV last March ... it was replacing an older Samsung 40".

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The house we moved into has stainless steel fridge, microwave and oven. She ruined the microwave oven scratching the surface with an abrasive sponge, no clue why. They have stainless steel wipes or you can use a soft cloth. Main thing is smudges everywhere. As long as you wipe it down often and dont scratch it up you should be fine.

Its all Whirlpool. Had a issue with the fridge, the capacitor went out. I bought this 20 dollar part, spliced the wires and its been fine ever since.

Had some coworker(s) do the same at work with the stove there. They were using an abrasive sponge when cleaning and messed it up pretty good. Especially above and around the clock panel and temp setting.