BGOL Old Folks- Agree or disagree: The youngest generation is smarter, more sophisticated and more talented

50+ only: The younger generation is smarter & more effective with more tools, technology & talents

• Total voters

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered

When I come here, and I look at all of you, what comes to mind is, is not actually that you guys remind me of myself, it’s the fact that you are so much better than I was. In so many ways. You’re smarter. You’re better organized. And you’re more effective.

These young people... Most of them are probably already a lot more sophisticated than I was at that time. And probably more gifted and more talented.

Whether you realize it or not, you’ve got more roadmaps, more role models, and more resources than the civil rights generation did. You’ve got more tools, technology, and talents than my generation did. No generation has been better positioned to be warriors for justice and remake the world.

You a pitiful guy, miserable type sucker
You lived in a time cluster
Where it was easy for getting by
‘Cause most of the industry lines
Were missing those intricate rhyme structures
So your lyrics to them were like mind-fuckers
But as the Internet winds, buffered
You realized it's harder to keep up with these little guys
‘Cause it's like a million times tougher

29​

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Off-topic but it has to be said-- That first video could be played after just about any Trump speech and offer such a stunning contrast.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
Why did you use Obama's speech when he referenced himself. His words were that of inspiration and he used himself as a reference such. The fist black president of America telling you that you are better than him should blow your fucking mind. Your thread question is shitting on a generation.

Delete this thread.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Why did you use Obama's speech when he referenced himself. His words were that of inspiration and he used himself as a reference such. The fist black president of America telling you that you are better than him should blow your fucking mind. Your thread question is shitting on a generation.

Delete this thread.

That you perceive the question as an attack is a reflection of your perspective, not mine.

And he explicitly made a generational comparison, telling 2020 graduates "You’ve got more roadmaps, more role models, and more resources than the civil rights generation did. You’ve got more tools, technology, and talents than my generation did."

Jumbodicc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not an old head, but I find it insulting when people in my age group (I'm 35) say shit like "We're not our ancestors". It comes off condescending, like our ancestors ain't put in real work for comforts we take for granted. There were brothers and sisters that shot it out with cops, bombed police stations, policed communities and fed kids for FREE. We are too worried about white people liking us to do the work that our ancestors did. We have the tools, the technology, the road map, we lack the heart to get after it imo.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
What you mean is thanks to technology modern people have way more capabilities of learning and advancing/progressing than past decades.. The answer is yes to that.. Are they utilizing as much as they could ? The answer is no

Is full utilization necessary to surpass previous generations, though? The answer is obviously no.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
The moment you have to explain your past thoughts, words and actions by saying "it was a different time" the youth have already run laps around your generation.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Is full utilization necessary to surpass previous generations, though? The answer is obviously no.
the answer is no but are the new kids smarter?.. Take away a calculator, pencil, paper , and have a kid solve a math problem off his brain power and watch some lose that battle with some people who learned how to calculate problems using their head.. Take away gps and some of these kids would get lost easy cause their sense of direction sucks... Take away some of these tech items from the kitchen and tell them to make a home cook meal and see how some of them are loss.. How about person to person communication without social media or using their phones and you see how socially awkward they are... Lot of the new generation would be lost out here if there was 1 big glitch that pretty much shut off most tech

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
I didn't watch the videos. I just wanted to comment on the topic in general and point out that being smart or clever doesn't mean you have the wisdom and maturity to apply it properly. Years ago I purchased a webcam for my sis. Her son was 3-4 years old and had it figured out with no instruction long before she mastered it. I still don't know how to do video editing and use Photoshop, or code webpages, but kids who grow up with those tools, are like some growing up and speaking a language. It just comes naturally.

You can also be smart or proficient in one area, but repressed in others. All those incels are probably brilliant, but they have no ability to function in day to day human or romantic relationships.

There needs to be balance, and folks need to be well-rounded.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
As an Xennial born in 1984, I would say the true millenials meaning those born 1988-1995 or the Gen Z after kids are more creative than my generation.

shaddyvillethug

Cac Free Zone
BGOL Investor
the answer is no but are the new kids smarter?.. Take away a calculator, pencil, paper , and have a kid solve a math problem off his brain power and watch some lose that battle with some people who learned how to calculate problems using their head.. Take away gps and some of these kids would get lost easy cause their sense of direction sucks... Take away some of these tech items from the kitchen and tell them to make a home cook meal and see how some of them are loss.. How about person to person communication without social media or using their phones and you see how socially awkward they are... Lot of the new generation would be lost out here if there was 1 big glitch that pretty much shut off most tech
Tell him again

u see he ran away from this post.

Moving Target

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree with the most categories. They are exposed to so much far earlier and more info at their finger tips making them more advanced. except that they lack cohesion, a underlying code of ethics/honor/morality that every one understands...thats what the real strength is in unity and community cohesion and growth. being able to work together for the good of the community and ousting/deleting mofos that tear it down or destroy what we are building.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

Isn't that a bit like saying "yeah, those kids are fast, but take away their fancy cars and subways and see how bad they are at whipping horses."

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Intellect is subjective. I’ve heard many times that I am smart because I can do math/science and have a PhD. None of that shit makes me smart. It only means I completed a task that took time.

This generation isnt smarter than any previous generation at hand. Knowing how to use technology doesn’t make a generation smarter. Hell, if anything, technology takes away certain aspects of critical thinking.

Intellect is an immeasurable trait. Being educated doesn’t mean you know how to build a house with your bare hands and live off the earth.

If anything, the younger generation have more access to resources and more access can advance any generation in certain aspects.

But when a generation gain something, the next lose something as well.

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
80% of this generation can't even speak English.

They all need they asses whipped for being lazy and antisocial....they use fuckin sign language to communicate (emojis)...they stink, cause they don't bathe, they clothes are mismatch..they won't get out they mom's Fuckin houses, they cant fight, I just whipped 4 of em asses at the same time, for bullying my 11 year old son, they don't eat healthy, so they frail as fuck, and the OP is a gay homo piece of shit, that KillaMayne would choke the fuck out...brah

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
I'm not an old head, but I find it insulting when people in my age group (I'm 35) say shit like "We're not our ancestors". It comes off condescending, like our ancestors ain't put in real work for comforts we take for granted. There were brothers and sisters that shot it out with cops, bombed police stations, policed communities and fed kids for FREE. We are too worried about white people liking us to do the work that our ancestors did. We have the tools, the technology, the road map, we lack the heart to get after it imo.

This here. The generation before mine was actually fighting cops and oppression. I'm from Oakland and the Black Panthers had boots on the ground and communicated through actions. The current generation is less about action but has the means to pat themselves on the back through keystrokes on social media.

KunningLinguist

Rising Star
Registered
i placed that rembrandt clown on ignore....i suggest everyone else do the same

im not interested in divisive nonsense like this

these kids have more technology than any generation had before them.....but thats ALWAYS the case for each generation.....

this isnt ground breaking at all

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i placed that rembrandt clown on ignore....i suggest everyone else do the same

im not interested in divisive nonsense like this

these kids have more technology than any generation had before them.....but thats ALWAYS the case for each generation.....

this isnt ground breaking at all

Lmao....!!! Brah

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Intellect is subjective. I’ve heard many times that I am smart because I can do math/science and have a PhD. None of that shit makes me smart. It only means I completed a task that took time.

This generation isnt smarter than any previous generation at hand. Knowing how to use technology doesn’t make a generation smarter. Hell, if anything, technology takes away certain aspects of critical thinking.

Intellect is an immeasurable trait. Being educated doesn’t mean you know how to build a house with your bare hands and live off the earth.

If anything, the younger generation have more access to resources and more access can advance any generation in certain aspects.

But when a generation gain something, the next lose something as well.

What about the internet? There's so much more available information.

Generational analysis is fundamentally flawed because it requires overgeneralizations that can be too sweeping. @Bussyvillethug and I are only a year or two apart in age-- I read every day while he is a proud soldier in General Powell's army. Not everyone takes advantage of available resources.

Also access is a big issue. Poor people and those in rural communities don't have the same opportunities to capitalize on the power of the internet.

But it does seem to me that those at the top of the divide have such tremendous advantages over similarly situated people 60 years ago, 40 years ago or even 20 years ago, that they are, by virtue of their circumstances, more knowledgeable and smarter.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The younger generation is more blind than we are. Seems like each generation gets more and more white washed by a white reality. As a race the longer we are lost the harder it is to be found. There are certain natural laws that we all live by besides being mastered by white law.
There is a struggle to come back into the knowledge of self and others. But everything happens for a reason. Many of us do not even recognize the grave danger we are in right now.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What about the internet? There's so much more available information.

Generational analysis is fundamentally flawed because it requires overgeneralizations that can be too sweeping. @Bussyvillethug and I are only a year or two apart in age-- I read every day while he is a proud soldier in General Powell's army. Not everyone takes advantage of available resources.

Also access is a big issue. Poor people and those in rural communities don't have the same opportunities to capitalize on the power of the internet.

But it does seem to me that those at the top of the divide have such tremendous advantages over similarly situated people 60 years ago, 40 years ago or even 20 years ago, that they are, by virtue of their circumstances, more knowledgeable and smarter.

One of the intro courses we offer at my university deals with the fundamentals of researching. Over the last 20 years, the internet spreads misinformation as much as it does reliable info. We have to show our students what is considered a credible resource, however, we have also seen that critical thinking has declined as well. Just because you see the first result doesn’t mean a person understands the context behind it. The reason is because everything is given to people know of days without having to put in the work.

I refer this era as the “First Results” era of researching because generally that’s all they people are looking for.

We have a distinct advantage today versus previous generations, but I can’t say the the utilization is any better. Not with certainty at least.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Isn't that a bit like saying "yeah, those kids are fast, but take away their fancy cars and subways and see how bad they are at whipping horses."
no I said they are capable of being more productive, progressing more due to certain things that are given to them... It's like giving a kid 100,000 to start a bizz vs a kid that starts off with nothing... Yet the kid with 6 figs isn't guaranteed to start 1 or have a successful 1... Just because opportunities are given doesn't mean someone will take them or utilize them to full extent... That is my case with comparing today's kids... The chances are there more than ever b4 but execution not necessarily on point.. Also if you gave them the same starting point as others would they be as effective... 100,000 should give you a better chance than somebody with nothing but if I took away the 100,000 would you be able to perform as well as the others who had nothing

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
This here. The generation before mine was actually fighting cops and oppression. I'm from Oakland and the Black Panthers had boots on the ground and communicated through actions. The current generation is less about action but has the means to pat themselves on the back through keystrokes on social media.

What percentage of the previous generation were Black Panthers? Or activists generally?

I don't know but it's easy to romanticize the past. Everybody wasn't out there. I wonder how engagement compares from the 60s to the 80s to the 2000s and today.