Can The WNBA Be Improved Financially? Is this what you wanted.

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
You not wrong

But people are still coming out in droves to see Caitlin lose.
They were still coming when Deion first started losing too because their fans still had hope. if the Fever don't win at least one of the next three games fans are going to start to fall off because no one wants to watch a losing team

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The WNBA has failed miserably on capitalizing on the attention that Caitlin Clark brought the league, Caitlin Clark brought eyes to multiple players, their are teams that are selling out their arenas but the WNBA only focuses on the Fever. The Fever will play their 8th game tonight (I think all have been televised) while some teams have only played 4 or 5. They've put all their eggs in the Caitlin Clark basket and her team is 1-6, it's going to be just like Deion Sanders with Colorado, people are going to stop watching when it's clear the team isn't going to be any good

I don't think the WNBA failed to capitalize on the attention that Caitlin's received. Many of the games are nationally televised and if people want to see them they know where to look.

The WNBA also doesn't appear to go out of their way saying "It's The Caitlin Show" on social media. Here's the WNBA Twitter, they highlight all players and teams.

It's sports shows, advertisements and social media doing the most talk about Caitlin.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They were still coming when Deion first started losing too because their fans still had hope. if the Fever don't win at least one of the next three games fans are going to start to fall off because no one wants to watch a losing team

You have a point, ain't nobody thinking in to watch a team get their asses bear every game...

Unless that's what they're tuned in for :lol:

AwwSchitt

Star Playa
BGOL Investor
Bro, that's a low bar. 1 of 3... that still makes you a loser. I think they simply need to be competitive and CC needs to show a flash. Like the game in L.A. she wasn't all that but hit the two 3-pointers in the end for a splash.

FYI, their next 3 games are versus the Storm, Sky (big ratings for this one), and Liberty. They can easily go 0-3.

You have a point, ain't nobody thinking in to watch a team get their asses bear every game...

Unless that's what they're tuned in for :lol:
This is a huge part of the ratings boom. As much as people tune in to see CC, there are fans of teams and other people that tune in to see her get stopped. I know plenty of Aces fans that tuned in just to see Jackie Young and Kelly Plum give her the business (and they did).

This is a part of sports though. It happens all the time and it's one of the things that helps a sport grow simply because people are watching.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bro, that's a low bar. 1 of 3... that still makes you a loser. I think they simply need to be competitive and CC needs to show a flash. Like the game in L.A. she wasn't all that but hit the two 3-pointers in the end for a splash.

FYI, their next 3 games are versus the Storm, Sky (big ratings for this one), and Liberty. They can easily go 0-3.

This is a huge part of the ratings boom. As much as people tune in to see CC, there are fans of teams and other people that tune in to see her get stopped. I know plenty of Aces fans that tuned in just to see Jackie Young and Kelly Plum give her the business (and they did).

This is a part of sports though. It happens all the time and it's one of the things that helps a sport grow simply because people are watching.

Umm you're 100% right!

Can I say this word "Haters"? :lol:

Sorry I won't used that word or I'll be called a coon. Let's just say that a large number of "People" tune in just to see Caitlin lose and hoping that she fails.

Like you said that's sports.

And yes Jackie and Kelly gave Caitlin's the BUSINESS, they guarded that muthafucka in the shower! :roflmao:

pookie

BGOL Investor
I don't think the WNBA failed to capitalize on the attention that Caitlin's received. Many of the games are nationally televised and if people want to see them they know where to look.

The WNBA also doesn't appear to go out of their way saying "It's The Caitlin Show" on social media. Here's the WNBA Twitter, they highlight all players and teams.

It's sports shows, advertisements and social media doing the most talk about Caitlin.

Those games are on CBSNN app and the WNBA app, all the Fever games have been on a ESPN network and NBATV. The WNBA scheduled the Fever to play 7 games in 12 days, 3 of them were in a 4 day span, there are like 3 teams who only played 4 games.

Caitlin Clark fans are looking for A WIN so they can have hope of a turnaround, if they keep losing her fans will lose hope and start to not watch and the people who were tuning in to see her lose will feel their “shes overrated“ talk has been proven so they'll stop watching too

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Those games are on CBSNN app and the WNBA app, all the Fever games have been on a ESPN network and NBATV. The WNBA scheduled the Fever to play 7 games in 12 days, 3 of them were in a 4 day span, there are like 3 teams who only played 4 games.

Caitlin Clark fans are looking for A WIN so they can have hope of a turnaround, if they keep losing her fans will lose hope and start to not watch and the people who were tuning in to see her lose will feel their “shes overrated“ talk has been proven so they'll stop watching too

CBSSN is a channel on tv and the Aces game is on NBATV which are both nationally televised game.

But that's not the point or my attention. I posted that link so that you could check the WNBA's tweets on what they post.

Yes Caitlin's games have been on national tv because she's hot right now and that's who people want to see. And I already said that they were milking that muthafucka! :lol:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The WNBA has failed miserably on capitalizing on the attention that Caitlin Clark brought the league, Caitlin Clark brought eyes to multiple players, their are teams that are selling out their arenas but the WNBA only focuses on the Fever. The Fever will play their 8th game tonight (I think all have been televised) while some teams have only played 4 or 5. They've put all their eggs in the Caitlin Clark basket and her team is 1-6, it's going to be just like Deion Sanders with Colorado, people are going to stop watching when it's clear the team isn't going to be any good

In hindsight you're right they did fail to capitalize on some aspects because Angel Reese first game or two wasn't nationally televised. I had to watch that shit on Twitter I think.

They've definitely had some missteps.

AwwSchitt

Star Playa
BGOL Investor
I understand exactly what you're saying. They want that hope so they can continue to hype her up. However, one thing I've noticed is they have taken the "point the finger" approach thus far. The losses aren't CC's fault (even though she's been shooting bricks and turning the ball over) it's everyone else's fault. Her fan base is defending her and I think they'll continue to do so for the long haul.

pookie

BGOL Investor
In hindsight you're right they did fail to capitalize on some aspects because Angel Reese first game or two wasn't nationally televised. I had to watch that shit on Twitter I think.

They've definitely had some missteps.
Both Angel Reese and Cameron Brink have a following and have become more popular during this season, they play each other tonight, the WNBA got almost all Caitlin Clark's games on TV, they should have gotten this game nationally televised. The Fever vs Sky game Saturday is on ESPN, watch the numbers when both their fanbase tune in

pookie

BGOL Investor
So they pay the players those figures and then no one watches their games, what do you do then?

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Caitlin Clark is going to lose for a long time in the WNBA because there really is no parity. You have to build through the draft (LV Aces) or get lucky building in free agency (NY Liberty). Even drafting a transcendent talent (Caitlin Clark has not proven she is that yet) will take time, eg Breanna Stewart, Mya Moore, Candace Parker, Brittney Griner)

Clark is not good enough to lead them to a title but she will eventually win multiple if she can accept and play a Sue Bird style.

EDIT* to add to the lack of parity point, just look at the amount of spending the Las Vegas Aces pay their administrators and the investment put into the team’s training center. No other WNBA team currently has that.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So they pay the players those figures and then no one watches their games, what do you do then?

Yeah because I can’t say that I’m interested in seeing 3 on 3 women’s basketball, I might give it a shot though.

Depending on how late in the summer it is :lol:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘First Take’ goes off rails with Monica McNutt questioning Stephen A. Smith’s late WNBA coverage: ‘You could have been doing this three years ago.’​

"Who does more for the WNBA than us?" "Stephen A., I'm talking to you! I'm talking to you. Don't do that. I'm talking to you about the power that you have."
First Take after Monica McNutt (second from right) questioned why Stephen A. Smith (L) hadn't talked about the WNBA more in the past.
“First Take” after Monica McNutt (second from right) questioned why Stephen A. Smith (L) hadn’t talked about the WNBA more in the past. (Awful Announcing on X/Twitter.)
ESPNBy Andrew Bucholtz on 06/03/2024
Tempers sometimes seem to flare on debate shows, and Monday’s First Take on ESPN was no exception. There, Stephen A. Smith and Shannon Sharpe had quite the WNBA discussion with Monica McNutt on Chennedy Carter’s hard foul on Caitlin Clark Saturday and the various reactions to it. And this really went off the rails at the end, with Molly Qerim frantically trying to get the show to a commercial break (after nearly 40 minutes without a break), but with Smith bragging (around 1:25 in the clip below) about the amount of WNBA and women’s sports coverage First Take does, McNutt saying he could have done that earlier, and Smith having quite the reaction:

The clip there starts with Smith talking about the potential of the WNBA and its players to make money (including with endorsements, which he mentions before that clip starts) and saying he “resents” how careful he feels he needs to be when discussing the league. “Now we’ve got to sit up here and watch every syllable.” After that, McNutt says “Welcome to the world of being a woman, Stephen A., and how you have to dance about your word choice, and how you have to please everybody and anybody as you navigate your being.” She then says “We are talking about the world’s greatest athletes” and Smith interrupts with “How about being a Black man?”

Sharpe chimes in too with “How about being Black?” and McNutt cuts them off with “Hold on one second. This is what I’ve been saying to y’all, and I know we’ve got to go to break. And we didn’t necessarily go there, but maybe we should. There are so many layers in this conversation around the way that it’s being discussed.”
McNutt then cuts off Sharpe’s attempt to interject and says “I know, you just shared that you’ve talked about the WNBA on your program too.” She adds “You guys may not have said everybody, but the prevailing sentiment for folks that are just joining the WNBA and following women’s sports is unfair to the women of this league, to your point, who have laid the groundwork for Caitlin Clark to come in and take it to the next level. That’s all I’m saying in these conversations.

“Chennedy Carter’s behavior is not indicative of the entire league. We are still talking about competition where you’re allowed to get an extra elbow in as long as you are competing and do it within the boundaries of the game. The game is physical, Caitlin is helping to grow the league, these women understand that. But she cannot be babied as a rookie. That’s all, I’m out.”
That led to Smith chiming in with “Who talks about the WNBA, who talks about women, who talks about women’s sports more than First Take?” McNutt then says “Stephen A., respectfully, with your platform, you could have been doing this three years ago if you wanted to,” and Smith gives a stunned “Wow,” and quite the expression:

Smith then says “Wow” a couple times more, Qerim desperately tries to get to the break, McNutt says “You know you’re my guys, but,” Smith says “Who does more for the WNBA than us?” and McNutt says “Stephen A., I’m talking to you! I’m talking to you. Don’t do that. I’m talking to you about the power that you have.” Smith says “Oh my Lord. Okay. Okay. I got it. I got it.” McNutt says “You’re my guy, I’m talking to you.”
Qerim then tries again to get the show to break with “Guys, guys, guys,” but Smith says “You’re my girl, but you’ve missed a lot of episodes of First Take, you’ve missed a lot”, McNutt shoots back with “Stephen A., three years ago, you were not talking about the WNBA at this level. Don’t do that,” Sharpe chimes in with “Monica, you’re making Stephen A.’s point!” and then Qerim finally gets out of there with “Please let me do my job, please let me do my job. We’ve gone for 40 minutes straight, it was a riveting discussion, I have to get into commercial break.”

This was a remarkable flare-up to see on the First Take set, and a notable criticism from McNutt of one of ESPN’s biggest stars in Smith. It doesn’t necessarily mean there are problems going forward; debates do sometimes get heated, and both McNutt and Smith referenced the respect they have for each other here. But this did make for an unusually tense First Take moment.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Monica McNutt Leaves Stephen A. Smith Stunned With ‘First Take’ Criticism​

Smith tried to take credit for First Take’s WNBA coverage, but McNutt pushed back hard.

Jimmy Traina | 8 Minutes Ago​

01hzfaxgs54jxxbm5wz6.jpg

1. You rarely see Stephen A. Smith left speechless, but that was the case on Monday morning’s episode of First Take thanks to panelist Monica McNutt.
After a discussion on Chennedy Carter’s cheap shot foul on Caitlin Clark that was the talk of the sports world over the weekend, Smith tried to take credit for his show giving extensive coverage to the WNBA.

McNutt, however, was not having it.
“Who talks about the WNBA, who talks about women’s sports more than First Take,” asked Stephen A.
McNutt was not having the revisionist history.

“Stephen A., respectfully, with your platform you could’ve been doing this three years ago if you wanted to,” replied McNutt.
This left Smith stunned and all he could muster was a pair of back-to-back “wows.”
A little back-and-forth followed:

McNutt: “You know you’re my guy…”
Smith: “Who does more than us?”
McNutt: “Stephen A., I’m talking to you. Don’t do that. I’m talking to you about the power than you have.”

Smith: “OK, OK. I got it. You’re my girl, but you missed a lot episodes of First Take. You missed a lot.”
McNutt: “Stephen A., three years ago you would not talk about the WNBA at this level. Don’t do that.”
It’s one thing for McNutt to disagree with Stephen A., but after he challenged her, she doubled down and didn’t back down. That was impressive.

Sadly, moderator Molly Qerim cut off the discussion, which could’ve been riveting television of McNutt and Smith continued to argue over First Take’s coverage of the WNBA.
I don’t want to paint the media with one brush, but as someone who covers this stuff, I’d say 99% of sprots media, including First Take, did not cover the WNBA the way they’re covering it now. And even now, they’re not covering the WNBA.
They’re covering Caitlin Clark.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
2. I don’t follow the WNBA, so I don’t know what the unwritten rules are or what protocol is for something like this. However, if I’m just comparing it to the NBA game, what I don’t understand about the foul that Chennedy Carter committed against Caitlin Clark is how none of Clark’s Fever teammates went after Carter and just let her get away with the cheap shot.

It's also good to see the refs in the WNBA are just as incompetent as the refs in all the other sports by calling this a common foul. (It got changed to a Flagrant-1 the following day.)