Coming to America 2 (discussion)

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
Coming to America sequel hires original screenwriters
According to The Tracking Board, a Coming to America sequel is in the works at Paramount Pictures, with the original film’s screenwriters Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield signed to write the script. It is being written as a vehicle for Eddie Murphy’s Prince Akeem (most likely King Akeem by now) of the fictional country of Zamunda to return.

The original film was directed by John Landis, and starred Murphy as a wealthy African prince who comes to Queens, New York posing as a poor man to search for a bride. The film co-starred Arsenio Hall, James Earl Jones, Shari Headley, John Amos, Eriq La Salle and Louie Anderson.

Kevin Misher (Mirror Mirror, the Carrie remake) is set to produce the Coming to America sequel, whose plot is currently being kept under wraps. Murphy had previously spent years developing a Beverly Hills Cop IV for Paramount, which ultimately stalled out due to script woes, so it will be interesting to see how the new Coming to America takes shape.

After Coming to America grossed over $288 million worldwide in 1988, Blaustein and Sheffield wrote several more Eddie Murphy vehicles, including Boomerang, The Nutty Professor and Nutty Professor II: The Klumps. The pair most recently wrote the 2005 remake of The Honeymooners, while Blaustein directed the comedies The Ringer and Peep World.

Murphy has kept a low profile over the last five years, only starring in one film, the dramatic 2016 dud Mr. Church. He’s been attached to several non-starter projects including Beverly Hills Cop IV, a Twins sequel titled Triplets and a Richard Pryor biopic from Lee Daniels. His famous brother Charlie Murphy just tragically passed away at age 57.http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/837655-coming-to-america-sequel-hires-original-screenwriters
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/837655-coming-to-america-sequel-hires-original-screenwriters

---

Last edited:

TruDat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh GAWD, please no sequel.
King Jaffe Joffer is not amused
93477ec9575a2e08cb9b852412594041.jpg

:smh::smh::smh:

Coming to America is a classic comedy

Last edited:

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
They using the original screen writers.. it will be cool if they use the OG cast members lol

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
Sounds promising so far...​
disagree. those writers obviously can't adapt to modern comedy. Their run is over. I dare say Boomerang was their peak and I'm impressed they could write that. Probably put Kevin Hart in it and make it stupid instead of subtle humor, which IMO, made the movie. I think it's going to be loud and obnoxious, over the top.

and they haven't wrote since their flop in 2005. Yikes.

Bawse Nigguh

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I would like to see a continuation of the story...I always hated when the movie ended... I would just play it over again. So although you all feel that this is a poor choice I am cautiously optimistic

Reactions: BDR

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
I would like to see a continuation of the story...I always hated when the movie ended... I would just play it over again. So although you all feel that this is a poor choice I am cautiously optimistic
I'm actually excited about it. You can't mess up a classic 30 years later. These brothers be reaching and I would love to see how the story goes

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
im just curious to what a potential plot could be
an obvious story is prince(now king) akeem son could follow in his father footstep and find an american wife...this time in LA

or in this new PC world maybe he gay and wants to find a husband lol

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
im just curious to what a potential plot could be
an obvious story is prince(now king) akeem son could follow in his father footstep and find an american wife...this time in LA

or in this new PC world maybe he gay and wants to find a husband lol
:hmm:

These people haven’t learned from ghostbusters and oceans 11 estrogen.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know they're the original screenwriters and all, but it's weird to me that with Jordan Peele winning Oscars, Donald and Stephen Glover winning Emmys, Issa Rae and Kenya Barris writing and producing TV hit shows, you don't at least reach out to the new crop of black comedy writers. :smh: