Concealed Carry personal protection thread

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
American Airlines made me remove the bullets from the magazine when i last checked my gun.
They put your shit in a bag and label it, and tell you that u can pick them up upon return.
Basically forcing u to buy ammo when you get where you're going.
I never had to do that with Southwest or Delta.
I haven't traveled with any of my firearms but I've always been told to always separate your ammo from your gun and magazines and lock your slide back to show that the agent won't have to inspect your stuff too deeply.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Who told you that, the ticket agent or TSA? Why do you always have issues traveling?

Told you before the times I've traveled they looked at my locked case and just put that orange tag in my bag and told me close my suitcase. Never opening my locked case. I remember during the height of Covid (crazy bullet prices) my fam asked me bring bullets to Florida cause I got them cheap in Texas. I brought two cases of 200 9mm rounds with no issues.

Unless something changed. I didn't fly American, think it was Delta.
at the ticket counter, .....i let them know that im checking a firearm.
They have me take it out of my suitcase and unlock the box that its in....making sure that the magazine is not in the gun.
and if its ammo in it,...they had me take it out. They also made sure i was using the TSA approved locks on the box.
They filled out the little form that they taped to the outside of my gunbox that i had to sign, and i put it back in my suitcase.
Maybe this ammo shit is something new....cuz i've never had to do it before. I'll see if Southwest pulls the same stunt when i fly out to Atlanta on Thursday.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can do that in NYC??
yeah since July 1st of last year, its easier to get a conceal carry in NY.
Before, in order to qualify for a license to carry a handgun outside the home, you had to provide “a special need for self-defense” reasoning to do so. Not many people would qualify except for former current and former public officials, ex-police officers, etc.
But after the June 23, 2022, in a 6-3 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down part of New York’s concealed carry law, a provision requiring an applicant to show “proper cause” in order to obtain a license to carry. So it makes it easier to get a CHL in NY now.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
yeah since July 1st of last year, its easier to get a conceal carry in NY.
Before, in order to qualify for a license to carry a handgun outside the home, you had to provide “a special need for self-defense” reasoning to do so. Not many people would qualify except for former current and former public officials, ex-police officers, etc.
But after the June 23, 2022, in a 6-3 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down part of New York’s concealed carry law, a provision requiring an applicant to show “proper cause” in order to obtain a license to carry. So it makes it easier to get a CHL in NY now.
Who told you it's easier? The process that was being used may have been struck down but NY quickly adopted new policies to circumvent them and to a degree are even more restricting. NY in general makes the process so cumbersome and time consuming that the hope is to deter ppl from wanting to continue.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Yea. The Supreme Court ruled last September it was unconstitutional to deny
Yes but nothing is stopping them from making the process ridiculously long and frustrating. My boy who lives in Mt Vernon had to go through a shitload of hurdles to get his. While the state can no longer use the whole "proper cause" logic to deny applicants, the process for requiring 5 notarized docs from non-family members and ridiculously long waiting period just to provide those docs to the sheriff to start the background check remain intact. My boy was originally slated to have to wait almost a year to submit his paperwork in and had to constantly call in to try to see if any openings were available for an earlier date

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes but nothing is stopping them from making the process ridiculously long and frustrating. My boy who lives in Mt Vernon had to go through a shitload of hurdles to get his. While the state can no longer use the whole "proper cause" logic to deny applicants, the process for requiring 5 notarized docs from non-family members and ridiculously long waiting period just to provide those docs to the sheriff to start the background check remain intact. My boy was originally slated to have to wait almost a year to submit his paperwork in and had to constantly call in to try to see if any openings were available for an earlier date
So far it was the opposite. I submitted in January. They called me in 2 months. I was expecting at least a year. I had to postpone the interview since none of my documents was ready. Wasn’t expecting a call that quick. However they do want a lot of stuff. Like 4 reference letters. Driving abstract.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How’d those reference letters go is what I wanted to know

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
So far it was the opposite. I submitted in January. They called me in 2 months. I was expecting at least a year. I had to postpone the interview since none of my documents was ready. Wasn’t expecting a call that quick. However they do want a lot of stuff. Like 4 reference letters. Driving abstract.
Wow definitely consider yourself lucky to have gotten a response that quickly.
How’d those reference letters go is what I wanted to know
I believe they gave him the form to be used. He just had to have the references completed and then notarized. I can't recall if he had to do any additional steps with them.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wow definitely consider yourself lucky to have gotten a response that quickly.

I believe they gave him the form to be used. He just had to have the references completed and then notarized. I can't recall if he had to do any additional steps with them.
Ok. Nyc didn’t have any forms. I just copied some forms that Long Island uses. Do you know as far as choosing your references who to exclude and for what reasons. I mean do they run back ground checks on them too

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Ok. Nyc didn’t have any forms. I just copied some forms that Long Island uses. Do you know as far as choosing your references who to exclude and for what reasons. I mean do they run back ground checks on them too
All I recall is that it had to be non-family members. I think the checks on them are part of the overall check done once you submit the paperwork in to the sheriff's office.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All I recall is that it had to be non-family members. I think the checks on them are part of the overall check done once you submit the paperwork in to the sheriff's office.
Found something
1. MUST HAVE KNOWN THE APPLICANT FOR AT LEAST 5 YEARS REFERENCE MUST BE AT LEAST 21 YEARS OLD 2. 3. REFERENCES MAY NOT BE FAMILY MEMBERS, MEMBERS OF THE SAME HOUSEHOLD, POLICE OFFICERS, PEACE OFFICERS, JUDGES, CORRECTIONS OFFICERS, OR ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN CONVICTED OF A CRIME.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
What you're gonna find as the most annoying thing about the process that hasn't been mentioned yet is the fact that you gotta buy the gun in advance and most stores won't have a wide selection that you can see in person. So you're forced to either buy what you see in the store or buy online and hope you like how it feels in hand after it arrives at your FFL. Gives you very lil options to work with.

SmaLLz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What you're gonna find as the most annoying thing about the process that hasn't been mentioned yet is the fact that you gotta buy the gun in advance and most stores won't have a wide selection that you can see in person. So you're forced to either buy what you see in the store or buy online and hope you like how it feels in hand after it arrives at your FFL. Gives you very lil options to work with.
Hold up because I must not be reading this correctly. Are you saying that NYC makes you purchase the gun before approving the CCL? Is it like that for Long Island too? I live in a state where you cannot purchase a gun until you have your CCL.

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered

Guns are offensive weapons for war. They can be used in a defensive capability if you are pursuing an active shooter. Somebody drawing something on you, focused on you, no conceal carry is going to save you.

In the video, he was robbing a bunch of people trying to get their money, allowing the person draw his weapon. You might be able to do something if your house alarm goes off, and you are looking for the intruder.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Hold up because I must not be reading this correctly. Are you saying that NYC makes you purchase the gun before approving the CCL? Is it like that for Long Island too? I live in a state where you cannot purchase a gun until you have your CCL.
Yes you have to buy the gun and the gun store holds on to it until you complete the process. They then give you a card that has the gun info listed on it. Each gun purchase requires an updated card that contains the info for all the guns you own in essence being a registry

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Yes you have to buy the gun and the gun store holds on to it until you complete the process. They then give you a card that has the gun info listed on it. Each gun purchase requires an updated card that contains the info for all the guns you own in essence being a registry
Jesus christ. No fucking way I'd live in a place like that. Constituional carry is the shit. Love how Ohio's laws are setup for self-defense and guns. Texas and Florida got favorable laws too. Self-defense is a must for me even to visit a place these days. Too old to catch a case for shit I'm going to carry regardless, so Cali and NY ain't even options for me at this stage of life.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Jesus christ. No fucking way I'd live in a place like that. Constituional carry is the shit. Love how Ohio's laws are setup for self-defense and guns. Texas and Florida got favorable laws too. Self-defense is a must for me even to visit a place these days. Too old to catch a case for shit I'm going to carry regardless, so Cali and NY ain't even options for me at this stage of life.
Not for nothing NJ falls under the radar as being just as bad if not worse. In NJ, you're not allowed to have self defense ammo aka hollow points. Even police from other states traveling through have caught charges for having hollow points. Makes absolutely no sense. Whoever came up with that law had absolutely no idea of the significance of using FMJs in self defense scenarios

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
If you're in the market for a new pistol and want something of very good quality and reliability without breaking the bank, Academy Sports has a sale on a Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 Compact pistol for $499. Comes with 2 15rd mags & 2 23rd mags. The 23rd mags alone make the deal a steal as they're hard to find by themselves since they're relatively new and typically cost at least $45 each if you can find them.

The pistol itself is a solid firearm that is large enough for home defense yet small enough to be your EDC. I personally use it as my primary EDC. Same size as Glock 19 but imo has better ergonomics and better recoil mitigation.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you're in the market for a new pistol and want something of very good quality and reliability without breaking the bank, Academy Sports has a sale on a Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 Compact pistol for $499. Comes with 2 15rd mags & 2 23rd mags. The 23rd mags alone make the deal a steal as they're hard to find by themselves since they're relatively new and typically cost at least $45 each if you can find them.

The pistol itself is a solid firearm that is large enough for home defense yet small enough to be your EDC. I personally use it as my primary EDC. Same size as Glock 19 but imo has better ergonomics and better recoil mitigation.

Thanks for the info

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Thanks for the info
You're welcome. I actually have 2 of them. I bought a 2nd one to use for training and possibly for matches in the future. I don't want to put too much wear & tear on my EDC so having a 2nd one with the exact same configuration allows me to take more classes and become more proficient so if I ever need to use my EDC, everything will feel like 2nd nature

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
Many cross the bridge to NJ and rent the guns they plan on buying.

This place has a good selection and not far from NYC: