Could or Should Steph Curry go for 100pt game?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
<iframe width='640' height='360' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' src='http://sports.yahoo.com/video/could-steph-curry-score-100-192609070.html?format=embed' allowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' allowtransparency='true'></iframe>

Stephen Curry thinks he could theoretically score 75 points in a game, but 100 would be asking a lot.

Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports asked Curry if he thought he could ever approach Wilt Chamberlain’s record of 100 points in a game.

“It’s a different game today,” Curry said. “I don’t know how many shots he got up. He didn’t have a three point line. A hundred? That would be tough. If I played the whole game, if I shot like I did in New Orleans and played a full 48, maybe got 20 more shots up, might’ve got 75-ish. That’s shooting the ball really well, too. A hundred, probably not.”

“There are certain nights when you get going, if it’s a close game or something and I play a lot of minutes, who knows what happens?”

Curry scored 53 in 36 minutes against New Orleans. It would have put him on pace to score about 70, so he may not be wrong in that estimate. He’d need a pace of 25 per quarter to hit 100, and he did put up 28 in one quarter in that game, but it would require something truly ridiculous to keep that pace over a full game.

Kobe Bryant’s 81 point night may be a more attainable mark for Curry, although with the Warriors looking even better this year and blowing out opponents at an impressive rate, he’d need reason to play a full 48 minutes or thereabouts.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/steph-curry-100-would-be-tough/281467

I think he could it or come even closer than Kobe did...It would take a coordinated effort from team tho..

take the weakest team on the schedule and just keep feeding steph the ball until he makes 25 points per quarter.

An RnB Thug

El Capitan of The LOVE BOAT
Platinum Member
Listen, He's good...I ain't denying that
BUT YOU CAN'T TOUCH THE KID
Meanwhile Bron getting Hammered. I don't get it
Maybe cause Bron is Big he get no respect in the physical
aspect of the game? I don't know.....

gtg305h

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Media turning this kat into Superman now...He's the greatest shooter, but not in the top 5 of greatest pure scorers:
1) MJ
2) Kobe
3) Wilt
4) Bernard King
5) Melo

In no particular order...

2 ONE 3

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That's exactly it..

More people can identify with curry because he's smaller, and skinny. More of an every-man that ppl see themselves as as opposed to a 6'8 250+ pounder

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
wilt chamberlain was like god on stilts vs a bunch of mortal midgets..it was easier for him cause he was in the paint so his shots are easier and closer..a lil guy like steph would have to have a god like shooting nite to achieve that or have a really shitty team let him get downlow and score easy points..don't see it happening

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Highly unlikely.

But if The Beige Rage gets in the zone against a team with no heart or pride like Kobe did against the raptors...

350x700px-LL-07fd687b_9z66i.gif

:lol:

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Curry is a efficient shooter not so much a high volume... In order to break over 60 you have to have the body to be able to shoot those many shots... Note for those who don't know, shooting a basketball take energy and shooting 30 shots can make your arms and legs feel heavy throwing your accuracy off..
As great as Curry is, if you notice he usually gets all his points in two of the four quarters in the game usually he paces himself to be strong in the 4th by not taking as many shots in the 3rd then hitting the bench at the end of the 3rd..
As much as we like to get on Kobe, one thing I will say is that is conditioning was as good as any player I have ever seen, because he is one of the few players who could hoist up 40 shots and still have his legs...
But back to the original question nah, Curry has a hard enough time getting past 45 to even think about 100..

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor

Well when the commissioner went on live TV to announce that he wanted a more Euro friendly league what do you think he was talking about... Remember back then white players was seen as primarily jump shooters while us brothers was seen as players who can only play above the rim...

d-weezy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1. He'd have to play all 48
2. He'd have to make at least 20 3's
3. He'd have to shoot extra early in the shot clock
4. Someone might take one for the team and lay him out

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Shaq had the same issues.

Media turning this kat into Superman now...He's the greatest shooter, but not in the top 5 of greatest pure scorers:
1) MJ
2) Kobe
3) Wilt
4) Bernard King
5) Melo

In no particular order...

Steph shoots from 30 feet with ease so stop :smh:

Curry is a efficient shooter not so much a high volume... In order to break over 60 you have to have the body to be able to shoot those many shots... Note for those who don't know, shooting a basketball take energy and shooting 30 shots can make your arms and legs feel heavy throwing your accuracy off..
As great as Curry is, if you notice he usually gets all his points in two of the four quarters in the game usually he paces himself to be strong in the 4th by not taking as many shots in the 3rd then hitting the bench at the end of the 3rd..
As much as we like to get on Kobe, one thing I will say is that is conditioning was as good as any player I have ever seen, because he is one of the few players who could hoist up 40 shots and still have his legs...
But back to the original question nah, Curry has a hard enough time getting past 45 to even think about 100..

He had 53 in 36 minutes so you lost your argument in the first two sentences.

xxironxx

PhD in Trollin
BGOL Investor
Fuck no. The nigga good but damn. That shit would look like an episode of fresh prince if he tried to hit 100

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
This was Wilt's line: 36 FGM; 63 FGA; 28 FTM; 32 FTA

He played all 48 minutes. His team scored 169 points. The other team scored 147. Granted today you have the 3-point shot but that's a lot of chucking.
Can he do it? Yes, I think he could. Will he? No because it would take the cooperation of his entire team and they're not built like that. Also, the league would hate them for it. He and his team would be getting the shit beat out of them in every game afterwards.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
He don't need to score 100 that's the funny thing..

He's a better scorer than Bron, Kobe, and MJ.. Efficent wise... Cause I know niggas gonna come in here guns blazing

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This was Wilt's line: 36 FGM; 63 FGA; 28 FTM; 32 FTA

He played all 48 minutes. His team scored 169 points. The other team scored 147. Granted today you have the 3-point shot but that's a lot of chucking.
Can he do it? Yes, I think he could. Will he? No because it would take the cooperation of his entire team and they're not built like that. Also, the league would hate them for it. He and his team would be getting the shit beat out of them in every game afterwards.

Let's see. If Steph shot 63 shots 40 of them would be 3's. Let's say he makes 20 of them which gives him 60 points...he's on his on after that so maybe?

If Mark Jackson gets hired as a head coach again they'll have Steph shoot every shot in that game! :lol:

smutsmut

Support BGOL
Registered
It's like this kids is Americas half white hope. Dude is nice, best shooter I've ever seen but he ain't touching 100. Every shooter can be stopped once teams figure out how to defend the shot. Couple years ago Dirk had the touch until teams figured him out.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Cause the league isn't just a couple of 7' black men and 6' white accountants.

Put Steph out there against a bunch of 5'9 jr high kids and he wouldnt get 100. Wilt hit 28 FTs that game...28. He's dropped 50, 60, 70 on HOFers like Russell, Thurmond, Bellamy, and Lucas bruh. If gettin 100 was so easy the other 7 footers at that time wouldve did it.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Shaq had the same issues.

Steph shoots from 30 feet with ease so stop :smh:

He had 53 in 36 minutes so you lost your argument in the first two sentences.
He is a high efficiency shooter not a high volume, so that means he can pick up a lot of points in a short period of time... However you cannot project those numbers assuming well if he would just shoot twice the amount of shots then he would have twice the points..
ONly a non baller would assume that, because a baller knows that usually the more a jump shooter shoots the more fatigue sets in and the less efficient they become... So if Curry were to shoot more his efficiency would have dropped dramatically so instead of 53 perhaps he would have had 61 with a much lower shooting rating...

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
It's like this kids is Americas half white hope. Dude is nice, best shooter I've ever seen but he ain't touching 100. Every shooter can be stopped once teams figure out how to defend the shot. Couple years ago Dirk had the touch until teams figured him out.

Both his parents are black tho

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
He don't need to score 100 that's the funny thing..

He's a better scorer than Bron, Kobe, and MJ.. Efficent wise... Cause I know niggas gonna come in here guns blazing

has dude ever scored over 25 points a game in a season prior to this??? better scorer come on now ya taking it kinda far..a better shooter yes but scorer come on 2 of those dudes u name drop 30 or more a game multiple times for several seasons..even kd got various scoring titles..how many does curry have?? scoring at will is what only a few players could do..it will be funny as shit if curry straight fizzled out in 2 yrs or less than all the curry hype mania will go down.. remember when tmac was dat scoring machine than came the back spasm and now nobody seem to remember how he use to put work in

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He is a high efficiency shooter not a high volume, so that means he can pick up a lot of points in a short period of time... However you cannot project those numbers assuming well if he would just shoot twice the amount of shots then he would have twice the points..
ONly a non baller would assume that, because a baller knows that usually the more a jump shooter shoots the more fatigue sets in and the less efficient they become... So if Curry were to shoot more his efficiency would have dropped dramatically so instead of 53 perhaps he would have had 61 with a much lower shooting rating...

"ONLY" a "NON-BALLER" would make the assumptions and statements that you're making when we're talking about players having their best games ever.

How many times did Wilt score 100? How many times did Kobe score 81? How many times did MJ score...can you figure out where I'm going with this?

Obviously if Steph shot 63 shots in a game and judging by our conversation of best games ever, we're going to "Assume" his shot efficiency doesn't drop dramatically.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
"ONLY" a "NON-BALLER" would make the assumptions and statements that you're making when we're talking about players having their best games ever.

How many times did Wilt score 100? How many times did Kobe score 81? How many times did MJ score...can you figure out where I'm going with this?

Obviously if Steph shot 63 shots in a game and judging by our conversation of best games ever, we're going to "Assume" his shot efficiency doesn't drop dramatically.

Look the NBA is not a video game, the reason why a player who shoots damn near 50% from the three doesn't hoist up 40 three pointers per game, is because those shots take their toll on him... As far as Wilt and Kobe, both of their conditioning and physic for their position was incredible, Curry is great but his body is not cut out to be a high volume shooter, if he was he could actually go for 100...