Debate: Was THIS the man who should have played Batman all along?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Killmonger was done right. Black Panther was done right. Panther ended up understanding Killmonger and also implementing some of the things that Killmonger wanted him to do in the first place.

Obviously Vader and Luke. With Luke missing something and seeking out several father figures (Yoda,etc) only to find out the father he was missing was the person he was after all along. While Vader's call to be evil override his emotional attachment to his own son whom we now know he thought he'd lost and thus set him on the path of evil in the first place? If the emporer said your wife died but you have 2 children there'd be no Darth Vader and there'd be no Luke Skywalker but one decision set them on a collision course on the opposite sides when it could have actually been so much different.

Obviously Thanos. We didn't agree with his methods but understood his purpose and saw what his vision looked like in completion with the world healthier but the grief was too much so they had to undo it.
But also he had the will to do the things that nobody else could do for themselves.

Kylo is a super tormented villain who knew his father and mother but was set astray but actions and emotions. He now prays to his grandfather the most evil man that's ever lived in hopes of being good enough and surpassing him and his legacy meanwhile his counterpart vaguely remembers her family and has been searching for her place her entire life. 1 has a goal and is trying to reach it. the other is just trying to find out where they belong. Collision course on opposite sides but in the moments they share they realize they're not all that different in the longing and wanting to belong category they just have completely different fundamental ideas on how these things should be accomplished.

I have debates all the time.

Many many critics feel TChalla was a bystander in his own movie.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Really? I didn't care that much for him as the Caped Crusader. To me, he was like Timothy Dalton as James Bond. :dunno:
michael-keaton-batman-forever-sucks.jpg

Ben Affleck was a better Bat.
ad_148915568.jpg

Woah.
Why?

Why would you? They don't really drive home the point that all of this shit is just cause he didn't have therapy and work out his PTSD after witnessing his parents murder.
This is his therapy.

That's one thing we don't really get to see a lot though. The 'pleasure' or 'relief' that Batman has when he does his work. It's always a burden or duty. But never a happy ending...if you catch me. ;)

Killmonger was done right. Black Panther was done right. Panther ended up understanding Killmonger and also implementing some of the things that Killmonger wanted him to do in the first place.

Obviously Vader and Luke. With Luke missing something and seeking out several father figures (Yoda,etc) only to find out the father he was missing was the person he was after all along. While Vader's call to be evil override his emotional attachment to his own son whom we now know he thought he'd lost and thus set him on the path of evil in the first place? If the emporer said your wife died but you have 2 children there'd be no Darth Vader and there'd be no Luke Skywalker but one decision set them on a collision course on the opposite sides when it could have actually been so much different.

Obviously Thanos. We didn't agree with his methods but understood his purpose and saw what his vision looked like in completion with the world healthier but the grief was too much so they had to undo it.
But also he had the will to do the things that nobody else could do for themselves.

Kylo is a super tormented villain who knew his father and mother but was set astray but actions and emotions. He now prays to his grandfather the most evil man that's ever lived in hopes of being good enough and surpassing him and his legacy meanwhile his counterpart vaguely remembers her family and has been searching for her place her entire life. 1 has a goal and is trying to reach it. the other is just trying to find out where they belong. Collision course on opposite sides but in the moments they share they realize they're not all that different in the longing and wanting to belong category they just have completely different fundamental ideas on how these things should be accomplished.

Kilmonger is...a different type of villain. I cried.
Can't put him in this.

Interesting you speak of Rey and Kylo Ren when they are soooo hated. Considering the flack the movies are getting, where do you think their paths are going to end come December?

Wait, we getting off topic.
You like it when they are total opposites, two paths diverged in a wood. Why do you think this works? Why might similar paths not work? Has it worked?

Gotham ended perfectly imo.
The feel was right there.

Imma finish it.

Bruce is alternate personality

Wait a minute...
Bruce is the alternate? I wonder if Bruce has 'Batman like qualities' before the shooting. Setting up where Batman was always him and not something born from his parents death. I don't follow the comics in DC that closely so I'm not sure if someone took that approach. However, I would be willing to re-examine iterations of Batman under this theory.

I have debates all the time.

Many many critics feel TChalla was a bystander in his own movie.

He was. But he played his purpose.
And it wasn't even second fiddle to Kilmonger either, it was second fiddle to the rhetoric. The principle. Can't wait to see where he goes from here because now he has to be protector against Namor. And failing to do so. This is going to be epic.

Shit we off topic again.

How do we feel about Mr. Nobody as a villain from Doom Patrol? Let's put that in the same universe.
Considering he has squared off against him, how would Bats deal with Animal Vegetable Mineral Man on the screen?

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Batman's got the deepest rogue gallery of any hero, would like to see them use 2019 technology do a Mr. Freeze or Clayface who were so good in Batman TAS

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
That's one thing we don't really get to see a lot though. The 'pleasure' or 'relief' that Batman has when he does his work. It's always a burden or duty. But never a happy ending...if you catch me. ;)
there will never be a happy ending or pleasure for that character
he is obsessed with what in his mind is a never ending job (another area Nolan redirected the core of Batman in Dark Knight)

for example: I think my mother has ocd for a few things - she seeks out reasons to keep doing what she is focused on or complain about it if she is unable to work...
a clean house is only good enough, the word happy or satisfied is not in her vocabulary

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
there will never be a happy ending or pleasure for that character
he is obsessed with what in his mind is a never ending job (another area Nolan redirected the core of Batman in Dark Knight)

for example: I think my mother has ocd for a few things - she seeks out reasons to keep doing what she is focused on or complain about it if she is unable to work...
a clean house is only good enough, the word happy or satisfied is not in her vocabulary

Oh we know Bruce can't be satisfied. And Happy is debated...how we got Damien is beyond me.

But I don't think we ever get to see that psychological piece of Bats. We get the PTSD - it drives him to rid the world of gangsters and villains. We get the superiority complex as evidenced in the Justice League when he found it crucial to make plans to kill the JL and casually put the plans in a safe, (as if no one would get them). But his deep psychological issues? We don't see. They are never addressed. Even Stark got clean in the comics and his real addictions were never addressed in the movies.

A missed opportunity considering who was playing him, but it wasn't about the story.

How can you make this therapy session a part of the story?

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Woah.
Why?
Michael Keaton was a good Dramedic Actor. I couldn't see Mr. Mom make the transition to such a role. Maybe I had typecast him in my own mind, but it just did not translate to me.

On another note, you're blowing me away with your subject matter expertise in this realm...for a girl. :lol:
Don't have me up in here making the Cam Newton apology tour either. :roflmao:

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Woah.
Why?

Exactly but also Batman is incapable of being happy one of the BEST moments in the Bale trilogy to me was the final shots in the last movie when Alfred is in France he looks over and nods then leaves and smiles and we see Bale with Catwoman chilling
to me that was the best moment of Batman in the entire series because in that moment Alfred-his father since his real one died, actually saw his son living life. Alfred didn't want him doing it but he knew he couldn't stop him so he helped him and supported him even though he hated this life for his child.
To get that moment from Alfred I'd be shocked if Alfred didn't really just pass away after that because his entire life had been worrying about Bruce mentally physically and spiritually

Can't put him in this.

Absolutely can and should they just did a better job of showing his perspective so you understood.

Interesting you speak of Rey and Kylo Ren when they are soooo hated. Considering the flack the movies are getting, where do you think their paths are going to end come December?
I'm not writing it so its gonna be sappy.
Personally it'd end with Rey and Ren in a standoff and him revealing that the jedi's killed her parents and her joining the dark side but that's just me.
You like it when they are total opposites, two paths diverged in a wood. Why do you think this works? Why might similar paths not work? Has it worked?

They don't have to be opposites. They can actually be the same and want the same thing. Magneto is only a villain because he doesn't give a fuck about regular humans and Charles does. Outside of that fundamental difference they want the EXACT same thing.

Wait a minute...
Bruce is the alternate? I wonder if Bruce has 'Batman like qualities' before the shooting. Setting up where Batman was always him and not something born from his parents death. I don't follow the comics in DC that closely so I'm not sure if someone took that approach. However, I would be willing to re-examine iterations of Batman under this theory.

Batman took over that night. Bruce was scared. Batman is strong. Everything that was wrong with Bruce Batman took and made it a strength.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Oh we know Bruce can't be satisfied. And Happy is debated...how we got Damien is beyond me.

But I don't think we ever get to see that psychological piece of Bats. We get the PTSD - it drives him to rid the world of gangsters and villains. We get the superiority complex as evidenced in the Justice League when he found it crucial to make plans to kill the JL and casually put the plans in a safe, (as if no one would get them). But his deep psychological issues? We don't see. They are never addressed. Even Stark got clean in the comics and his real addictions were never addressed in the movies.

A missed opportunity considering who was playing him, but it wasn't about the story.

How can you make this therapy session a part of the story?
my theory is Talia either poked holes in the bat condom or one time while he was recovering from injury - she just raped him
violence is his therapy - avoiding lethality is part of his discipline

True but we rarely got to see the torment.
Rachel dying was one point of torment we saw but even then it was vaguely portrayed. He wasn't getting out of bed and he cried one time.
With Bale you could go into so much other shit him being a bitter drunk and doing billionaire playboy things in response and acting out and losing himself in the pain all over again and needing to be reminded of his purpose and as a result of these things Joker takes over the city. Show a true cause and effect.

Batman protect Gordon at this speaking thing and he says fuck that im not doing it and gordon gets captured.
Or he's not sober so on his way to try and get Harvey he crashes he sees himself not sharp and not being sharp means he can't do his "job"
he has to check himself because he's losing a grip on himself and the city

all things easily done in a matter of moments on screen that would have given it completion to me.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Woah.
Why?

Can't put him in this.

Imma finish it.

Wait a minute...

He was. But he played his purpose.
And it wasn't even second fiddle to Kilmonger either, it was second fiddle to the rhetoric. The principle. Can't wait to see where he goes from here because now he has to be protector against Namor. And failing to do so. This is going to be epic.

Shit we off topic again.

How do we feel about Mr. Nobody as a villain from Doom Patrol? Let's put that in the same universe.
Considering he has squared off against him, how would Bats deal with Animal Vegetable Mineral Man on the screen?

Don't kill me...

I have bingeing Lucifer and had no time to watch any of Doom Patrol.

And i actually read those comics coming up

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Most definitely was not

@melonpecan

Exactly i want the same for batman

As dark and broken and driven as Bruce is..

Can't we fall in love with Batman again?

Can't we have Bruce in Bali as a james bond john wick jason bourne master detective?

Wearing one of his many masks.

Showing us what EXACTLY makes him the most dangerous man alive.

Last edited:

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't kill me...

I have bingeing Lucifer and had no time to watch any of Doom Patrol.

And i actually read those comics coming up

Another one of those shows I'm in the middle of. I think I made it to the end of season two? Three? I don't remember. But it's good.

Doom Patrol will go quick though now that all of them are out. If you quirky, you'll love it.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Exactly but also Batman is incapable of being happy one of the BEST moments in the Bale trilogy to me was the final shots in the last movie when Alfred is in France he looks over and nods then leaves and smiles and we see Bale with Catwoman chilling
to me that was the best moment of Batman in the entire series because in that moment Alfred-his father since his real one died, actually saw his son living life. Alfred didn't want him doing it but he knew he couldn't stop him so he helped him and supported him even though he hated this life for his child.
To get that moment from Alfred I'd be shocked if Alfred didn't really just pass away after that because his entire life had been worrying about Bruce mentally physically and spiritually

Absolutely can and should they just did a better job of showing his perspective so you understood.

I'm not writing it so its gonna be sappy.
Personally it'd end with Rey and Ren in a standoff and him revealing that the jedi's killed her parents and her joining the dark side but that's just me.

They don't have to be opposites. They can actually be the same and want the same thing. Magneto is only a villain because he doesn't give a fuck about regular humans and Charles does. Outside of that fundamental difference they want the EXACT same thing.

Batman took over that night. Bruce was scared. Batman is strong. Everything that was wrong with Bruce Batman took and made it a strength.

Interesting take.
Especially how you would end SW. Two roads diverged, merging into one.

HOWEVER

We have to agree that despite the relief at the end of Dark Knight Rises, that was a half piss poor movie.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Interesting take.
Especially how you would end SW. Two roads diverged, merging into one.

HOWEVER

We have to agree that despite the relief at the end of Dark Knight Rises, that was a half piss poor movie.

It was because it was too unbalanced.
It became a Bane movie and not a batman movie. Bane was fucking awesome and incredible and batman was just kinda an afterthought that's why.
If he leveled up batman to match the depth and everything with Bane it would have been one of the best..
Begins was all batman with shadow ghoul
joker was 65-35 over batman
bane was like 85 to batman 15%

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Michael Keaton was a good Dramedic Actor. I couldn't see Mr. Mom make the transition to such a role. Maybe I had typecast him in my own mind, but it just did not translate to me.

On another note, you're blowing me away with your subject matter expertise in this realm...for a girl. :lol:
Don't have me up in here making the Cam Newton apology tour either. :roflmao:

LOL
Besides Beatlejuice one of my first Keaton memories was Johnny Dangerously. Trying to equate him with this over the top, sorta campy, comedic roles to Bats was a stretch for me, (but then again I lived for Adam West), but I believed the Tim Burton movies. I was a kid, but even rewatching them I still believed it. What really did it for me was the scene in the first one in Vales apartment when Bruce has to be 'Bruce' and he plays it off as crazy. He don't really know how to get the Joker out of Vale's apartment without being Batman and it's an awkward scene but on purpose. Anyone that can do that on purpose, has some chops in my book. But that duality was what I was looking for in Batman/Bruce, putting on the cowl vs. taking it off, and not knowing what to do when those worlds collide.

I don't claim to be an expert but my dad put me on comics a long time ago. I try to keep up where I can but this is what I do! This actually is the largest place I have where I can be a nerd. :D

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It was because it was too unbalanced.
It became a Bane movie and not a batman movie. Bane was fucking awesome and incredible and batman was just kinda an afterthought that's why.
If he leveled up batman to match the depth and everything with Bane it would have been one of the best..
Begins was all batman with shadow ghoul
joker was 65-35 over batman
bane was like 85 to batman 15%

FINALLY

And even Bane wasn't fleshed when you add Talia...*shudders*
There was a lot that was an afterthought in that movie. At least Robin got his name said...

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
my theory is Talia either poked holes in the bat condom or one time while he was recovering from injury - she just raped him
violence is his therapy - avoiding lethality is part of his discipline

Oh she raped him.
Or his psychosis allowed him to be seduced. One or the other.

But...if he is psychotic - which I believe he is - can he have a discipline?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Another one of those shows I'm in the middle of. I think I made it to the end of season two? Three? I don't remember. But it's good.

Doom Patrol will go quick though now that all of them are out. If you quirky, you'll love it.

The quirkiest

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Oh she raped him.
Or his psychosis allowed him to be seduced. One or the other.

But...if he is psychotic - which I believe he is - can he have a discipline?

I remember reading son of the demon when i was young, still got the prestige format somewhere.

It was the best iteration of that relationship

Damaged people find each other.

Who else in this world understands the sacrifice that Brice as made like Talia?

Bruce relives his parents death each and every time he puts the cowl on.

Talia lost her mother and was raised by a demon who dies over and over and over and keeps returning haunting her.

Thomas and Martha Wayne's deaths made Batman

Ras Al ghul deaths and her mother's formed her life to.

We KNOW Bruce wants light and love...

Dick, Barbara, Alfred, Selena.

Talia thinks her "connection" to bruce will do the same.

I like to think Damian is the product of a rare stolen moment for both

We can't make Batman COMPLETELY psychotic and conniving at ALL times.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The quirkiest

Oh. Let me find the best moment of the finale. Which by no means spoils the episode or season.

I remember reading son of the demon when i was young, still got the prestige format somewhere.

It was the best iteration of that relationship

Damaged people find each other.

Who else in this world understands the sacrifice that Brice as made like Talia?

Bruce relives his parents death each and every time he puts the cowl on.

Talia lost her mother and was raised by a demon who dies over and over and over and keeps returning haunting her.

Thomas and Martha Wayne's deaths made Batman

Ras Al ghul deaths and her mother's formed her life to.

We KNOW Bruce wants light and love...

Dick, Barbara, Alfred, Selena.

Talia thinks her "connection" to bruce will do the same.

I like to think Damian is the product of a rare stolen moment for both

We can't make Batman COMPLETELY psychotic and conniving at ALL times.

But his name is Damien! What else is he but the spawn of evil?!
I don't think that is a coincidence. And no Bruce can't be it at all times...but if he is Batman and Bruce is his alter ego, when he is not completely psychotic, who is he?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Oh. Let me find the best moment of the finale. Which by no means spoils the episode or season.

But his name is Damien! What else is he but the spawn of evil?!
I don't think that is a coincidence. And no Bruce can't be it at all times...but if he is Batman and Bruce is his alter ego, when he is not completely psychotic, who is he?

That is EXACTLY the movie i want to see @largebillsonlyplease write and direct.

THAT is what my old ass reading hundreds of Batman comics wants to FINALLY see on the screen.

Which actor has even come CLOSE to giving us that?

For all the hate on Keanu Afflack Pattison Clooney etc etc...

Has any actor really been given the stage to GIVE that performance?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Then let a young hungry Bills do it then.

Why f*ck up your legacy your work your potential magnum opus genre defining trilogy?

Its not like godfather 3 or jedi...

They TRIED.
It didn't fuck his legacy though not in the least
People skip over begins and rises and then go right to inception interstellar and dunkirk lol
I def could do it now though in this climate? oh yea

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
That is EXACTLY the movie i want to see @largebillsonlyplease write and direct.

THAT is what my old ass reading hundreds of Batman comics wants to FINALLY see on the screen.

Which actor has even come CLOSE to giving us that?

For all the hate on Keanu Afflack Pattison Clooney etc etc...

Has any actor really been given the stage to GIVE that performance?

Hater Afleck was the closest but limited by the writing
But he was full fledged brooding hater supreme in Batman Vs Superman
the hate drove him all the way to the face off.

that's what i mean
he was mad at the people for praising superman
he was mad at superman for existing
he was so torn up about it he fell asleep during investigating some shit and had a nightmare about finding the means to kill superman getting double crossed and getting captured by minions and superman came in and executed him

then he woke up even more obsessed