Dime piece Black Woman Angela Alsobrooks launches U.S. Senate bid

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Hogan won TWICE in a Democrat stronghold, that should tell you something. He has enough equity with Democrats as a moderate Republican to win. Doesn't matter how much $ the Dems pump into the state, they're not winning against a former governor with a 77% approval rating.

What's funny about Mr. Anti-Trump...

Is that if he's elected and Trump is too, he can oppose Trump 5% of the time and be a hero with MSNBC viewers...

If he's elected and Biden is president, he'll be a key reason Biden gets nothing done and MD voters will see the evidence of their stupidity.

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
Hogan is not a moderate. He’s just not hardcore MAGA and distanced himself from Trump. He got a lot of sympathy because of getting cancer, but just ripped off transportation funding from Baltimore in favor of putting new roads where his development company had projects. His personal wealth increased considerably while he was governor, with no explanation

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Hogan won TWICE in a Democrat stronghold, that should tell you something. He has enough equity with Democrats as a moderate Republican to win. Doesn't matter how much $ the Dems pump into the state, they're not winning against a former governor with a 77% approval rating.
I guess we have to wait 2 more years for DC to get statehood. And then you'll find out there's an entire cadre of Democratic senators that are interested in maintaining “tradition”. The filibuster will not be abandoned. The minimum wage will not be raised.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What's funny about Mr. Anti-Trump...

Is that if he's elected and Trump is too, he can oppose Trump 5% of the time and be a hero with MSNBC viewers...

If he's elected and Biden is president, he'll be a key reason Biden gets nothing done and MD voters will see the evidence of their stupidity.
Voters aren't dumb.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I've seen where he said he meant bugaboo but I don't know the actual race of the Republican he was talking about.

He wasn't even talking about a person! Used it as a synonym for "scare tactic."

If he was directing it at Tim Scott it would be one thing but this is completely nonsensical.

Here's the context with a link to the article:

“So this Republican jigaboo that it’s the tax rate that’s stopping business investment, it’s just completely faulty by people who have never run a business,” he said during a House Budget Committee hearing. “They’ve never been there. They don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.”​
The slur is among the derogatory terms used to caricature Black people. After being contacted by The Washington Post hours after the remark, Trone apologized in a statement.​

From the quote, I actually believe him. But it's a terrible headline for Trone.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

The whole time I was watching her commercial I was thinking “OP did her dirty by hyping her as a dime.”

Nice shape, I suppose, but you never know what a GILF looks like without the clothes and whatever secret tricks they are employing…

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The whole time I was watching her commercial I was thinking “OP did her dirty by hyping her as a dime.”

Nice shape, I suppose, but you never know what a GILF looks like without the clothes and whatever secret tricks they are employing…
I think you'll be fine on this one

angela-alsobrooks-prince-georges-county-executive-and-maryland-democratic-senate-candidate.jpg

Last edited:

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
This is surprising:

I would vote for Alsobrooks if I lived in Maryland but sadly I kind of want Trone (whose name ironically just autocorrected to Tyrone for me) to win now because his money stands a better chance against Hogan.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

Prince George's County Executive Angela Alsobrooks, who trails Rep. David Trone in the polls, is hoping that a new endorsement from the Washington Post will help her turn her fortunes around with a month to go before Maryland's primaries.

In a Thursday editorial backing her for the Democratic nod, the Post praised Alsobrooks' record in office and noted she "would bring valuable diversity to the Senate" as "the first Black woman elected statewide in Maryland."

While it's rare these days for newspaper endorsements to have an impact at the ballot box, the Post's could be the exception. As Inside Elections’ Jacob Rubashkin alludes, the paper remains influential in Montgomery County, which is the state's largest and borders Washington, D.C., just opposite Prince George's.

Notably, Trone's House district includes part of Montgomery, so the Post's support could help Alsobrooks make inroads in the county, where she's likely less well-known. The paper’s decision to favor Alsobrooks also cuts against past practice: When there's been a credible Montgomery-based candidate in competitive Democratic primaries in past statewide races, the Post has typically gone with just a such choice.

That includes Tom Perez, who finished a close second in the 2022 primary for governor, and Chris Van Hollen, who won the 2016 race for Maryland's other Senate seat; both carried Montgomery County in their primaries. In the 2018 governor's race, meanwhile, the top Montgomery candidate, state Sen. Richard Madaleno, took just 6% in the primary. The Post that year went for Alsobrooks' predecessor, Rushern Baker, who lost to Ben Jealous 40-29 statewide but held Jealous to a tighter 36-32 win in Montgomery.

Analyst James Newton further highlights an older primary where the Post's endorsement might have been the difference-maker: the 2006 Democratic showdown for the very same seat that Alsobrooks and Trone are now seeking. That race featured a matchup between Rep. Ben Cardin and former Rep. Kweisi Mfume, whose districts were both based in the Baltimore area rather than the populous D.C. suburbs.

But with the Post in his corner, Cardin carried Montgomery County and narrowly beat Mfume for the nod by a 44-41 margin before winning in November. (Carding announced his retirement last year.) Alsobrooks may not have designs on winning Montgomery outright, but her goal will at least be to prevent Trone from running up the score there, and the Post's endorsement could help.

Separately, a group called Fight Corporate Monopolies has launched a new ad campaign targeting Trone, which HuffPost's Daniel Marans says is backed by a buy "in the high five digits" and will air on streaming platforms. Its new spot slams Trone both for his business practices and his alleged abusive behavior toward a delivery worker at an Arizona outlet of Total Wine, the giant alcohol retail chain he founded.

A narrator first attacks Trone as an unethical monopolist, claiming his company was "sued by President Joe Biden's Administration for illegally crushing competition from small businesses." Last year, the Federal Trade Commission filed a petition in federal court demanding that Total Wine comply with subpoenas regarding an antitrust investigation.

The ad then references a 2021 incident first reported last year by the conservative British magazine The Spectator in which Trone, according to a police report, allegedly told the worker, "I will fucking end you" and "I will execute you," purportedly because the worker had stacked his deliveries on the store's floor.

Trone does not appear to have been charged in the incident, and in a statement to Marans, his campaign says he "never made the statement" the ad describes. Marans adds, though, that the candidate's staff "did not respond to questions about Trone’s views on antitrust policy."

But while Alsobrooks has reason to welcome the new support, Fight Corporate Monopolies' outlay is dwarfed by Trone's massive spending.

As analyst Rob Pyers points out, Trone has now spent almost $42 million of his own money on his campaign, which Rubashkin observes smashes the previous record for self-funding in a Senate primary, the $30 million spent by Democrat Blair Hull in Illinois in 2004. (Hull lost that primary to none other than Barack Obama, who spent just a seventh as much, though adjusted for inflation, Hull is still ahead of Trone.)

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
One week until the primary election...

Trone has now spent well over $50 million of his own money on his U.S. Senate campaign.

No candidate in Maryland has ever spent anything close to that kind of money on a political seat — not even close. In the 2016 Democratic Senate primary between now-U.S. Sen. Chris Van Hollen and former congresswoman Donna Edwards, the total was closer to $15 million.

Alsobrooks has criticized Trone for spending so much money, but the congressman has made no apologies for dipping into his personal fortune.

Trone, the founder of Total Wine & More, said he’s willing to spend whatever it takes — not just to beat Alsobrooks, but because he believes he’s the only one with the resources to defeat Hogan in the general election.

AD
Campaign funding is the largest difference between the two candidates. Alsobrooks has raised just under $8 million for her campaign — a significant amount — but only a fraction of Trone’s war chest.

On the issues, there is little daylight between the two, with each staking out similar Democratic positions on a host of issues. ...