Dime piece Black Woman Angela Alsobrooks launches U.S. Senate bid

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
...Let me not say anything that will comeback and bite me in the ass. She's cool people. If she can get Wes Moore on board she would be the front runner.
PG has a well oiled machine right now. Braveboy will take her spot. Once Moore drops that endorsement it’s a wrap.
Chicken and the egg? Has he not endorsed yet because he wants to back a winner?

Not sure how much he owes her for her early endorsement of his campaign... But it was notable that he was not one of her out the gate endorsers.

I was definitely right that it wasn't so much Moore making her the frontrunner or wrapping things up as it was him waiting until she was a frontrunner / it's a wrap.

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Jessie Jackson's son endorsed David Trone :smh:

27 MEMBERS OF CONGRESS ENDORSE DAVID TRONE FOR UNITED STATES SENATE

The full list of endorsers: Rep. Jonathan Jackson (IL-1) Rep Susie Lee (NV-3) Rep. Colin Allred (TX-32) Rep. Adam Schiff (CA-30) Rep. Annie Kuster (NH-1) Rep. Norma Torres (CA-35) Rep. Susan Wild (PA-7) Rep. Chellie Pingree (ME-1) Rep. Eric Swalwell (CA-14) Rep. Ami Bera (CA-6) Rep. Gerry Connolly (VA-11) Rep. Matt Cartwright (PA-8) Rep. Joe Morelle (NY-25) Rep. John Larson (CT-1) Rep. Wiley Nickel (NC-13) Rep. Jeff Jackson (NC-14) Rep. Pat Ryan (NY-18) Rep. Greg Landsman (OH-1) Rep. Mike Quigley (IL-5) Rep. Bill Pascrell (NJ-9) Rep. Brendan Boyle (PA-2) Rep. John Garamendi (CA-8) Rep. Josh Gottheimer (NJ-5) Rep. Mike Levin (CA-49) Rep. Frank Pallone (NJ-6) Rep. Frank Mrvan (IN-1) Rep. Ed Case (HI-1)

Who?

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
PG has a well oiled machine right now. Braveboy will take her spot. Once Moore drops that endorsement it’s a wrap.
It's over folks. I tried to tell ya'll.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...te-selected-for-new-fbi-headquarters/3465999/

Greenbelt site selected for new FBI headquarters​

The decision follows years of discussions over the fate of the dilapidated J. Edgar Hoover Building in downtown D.C.​

GuessWho21212

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This really surprises me:

Trone is loaded and he’s clearly trying to buy the election, but at least he’s using his money to spread his platform agenda. Alsobrooks, really isn’t mounting much of a campaign at all, it seems like she expects to get your vote because she’s black and a woman. Good luck with that shit.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
That hes ahead in polling or that he way outspent her in TV ads?

That he is ahead in polling.

I was not aware of the fact that he had spent $11 million on ads and that they had gone unanswered. It is not surprising that he is spending and she is not matching it this early-- though I think $11 million is a little surprisingly high, whatever money he has-- and obviously that explains the polling. But not knowing that, based on the press I have seen and what I know about the state, the polling result was definitely a surprise.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Trone is loaded and he’s clearly trying to buy the election, but at least he’s using his money to spread his platform agenda. Alsobrooks, really isn’t mounting much of a campaign at all, it seems like she expects to get your vote because she’s black and a woman. Good luck with that shit.

Interesting perspective.

It is smart for her to save her money to spend late when people are paying attention, since Trone can outspend her drastically at any point. She has to be more effective with the money she has. So I would not knock her for seemingly not "mounting much of a campaign at all," at this point.

If people still feel that she is trying to skate by just on identity when it is close to voting time, that's another story.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I'm a little surprised Latinos are less than 4% of the Maryland Democratic electorate.

According to the Democratic data analytics firm Catalist, Latino voters made up nearly 4 percent of the state Democratic primary electorate in 2020, up from 2.75 percent in 2008.​
Even though census data shows Hispanics make up 18.75 percent of voters, many are either not old enough to vote, ineligible because of immigration status or disinclined to participate for other reasons, according to Catalist researchers.​
Democrats outnumber Republicans in Maryland by a 2-to-1 margin, so the Democratic primary often determines who wins the General Election in statewide races.​
On Sunday, the two presumed front-runners threw so many jabs at each other, the underdog seated between them joked he should step back out of the line of fire. “I thought the rules said it was hands-off the other candidates,” Dominguez said after the event ended. “Next time I’ll come prepared.”​
Alsobrooks accused Trone’s business of contributing to Republican candidates who had a bad record on abortion; he retorted that his record on reproductive rights is impeccable. She leaned heavily on her message that Congress needs more “people who live like and who think like the people they represent,” a jab at Trone’s multimillion dollar wealth.​
Trone cast Alsobrooks, who has been in public office since 2011 and a county official before that, as a “career politician” at a time when Maryland needed a change-maker who had accomplishments outside of government. Alsobrooks shot back that it was “intellectually dishonest” for a three-term congressman seeking another six years in office to denigrate her public service.​
Trone, meanwhile, suggested Alsobrooks lacked a substantial record on reproductive rights or on helping the Latino community when she represented them.
And he hit a point that has raised much ire from Latinos in Prince George’s over the years: During her first term, zero of the 39 cabinet positions in her administration were occupied by Latinos, even though they make up about 20 percent of the county’s population.​
(An Alsobrooks spokeswoman noted after the event that there is now one Latino in the cabinet.)​

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

On Thursday, Trone released his 11th campaign ad entitled “Visions.”

The 30-second ad features Rep. Jonathan Jackson (D-Illinois), the son of civil rights leader the Rev. Jesse Jackson.

Jonathan Jackson said Trone has worked to create low-term mortgages for first-time homebuyers and support grants for minority businesses.

“David knows there’s no justice without economic justice,” Jackson said. “We may be losing a congressman who’s made a difference. We’re gaining a Senator who will make all the difference.”

Trone was criticized Wednesday from supporters of his Democratic opponent, Prince George’s County Executive Angela Alsobrooks.

Five state and local lawmakers released a statement that called some of Trone’s comments “dismissive” and “condescending” when talking about career politicians not having a lived experience to serve in the U.S. Senate.

The comments were made during a Democrat candidate’s forum Sunday that also included Anne Arundel businessman Juan Dominguez.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm a little surprised Latinos are less than 4% of the Maryland Democratic electorate.

According to the Democratic data analytics firm Catalist, Latino voters made up nearly 4 percent of the state Democratic primary electorate in 2020, up from 2.75 percent in 2008.​
Even though census data shows Hispanics make up 18.75 percent of voters, many are either not old enough to vote, ineligible because of immigration status or disinclined to participate for other reasons, according to Catalist researchers.​
Democrats outnumber Republicans in Maryland by a 2-to-1 margin, so the Democratic primary often determines who wins the General Election in statewide races.​
On Sunday, the two presumed front-runners threw so many jabs at each other, the underdog seated between them joked he should step back out of the line of fire. “I thought the rules said it was hands-off the other candidates,” Dominguez said after the event ended. “Next time I’ll come prepared.”​
Alsobrooks accused Trone’s business of contributing to Republican candidates who had a bad record on abortion; he retorted that his record on reproductive rights is impeccable. She leaned heavily on her message that Congress needs more “people who live like and who think like the people they represent,” a jab at Trone’s multimillion dollar wealth.​
Trone cast Alsobrooks, who has been in public office since 2011 and a county official before that, as a “career politician” at a time when Maryland needed a change-maker who had accomplishments outside of government. Alsobrooks shot back that it was “intellectually dishonest” for a three-term congressman seeking another six years in office to denigrate her public service.​
Trone, meanwhile, suggested Alsobrooks lacked a substantial record on reproductive rights or on helping the Latino community when she represented them.
And he hit a point that has raised much ire from Latinos in Prince George’s over the years: During her first term, zero of the 39 cabinet positions in her administration were occupied by Latinos, even though they make up about 20 percent of the county’s population.​
(An Alsobrooks spokeswoman noted after the event that there is now one Latino in the cabinet.)​

Maryland and Delaware are the blackest states in the nation. The edge should be given to Maryland because their governor is black.

Colorado has a lot of black people in state capital too.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

Adding this item to my thread on this sellout clown:

“From the moment he arrived in the House of Representatives, David Trone has been a consistent and valued partner in the effort to fix our broken criminal justice system, eliminate reentry barriers for returning citizens and root out systemic racism,” Jeffries’ statement said. “Congressman Trone has also worked hard to create new manufacturing and tech jobs in the parts of Maryland all too often left behind.”

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

Facing down low poll numbers and a disadvantage in fundraising, U.S. Senate candidate Angela Alsobrooks this week ousted her campaign manager and brought in half a dozen new hires. :frozen:

Alsobrooks is one of the leading contenders in the 2024 Democratic primary for Maryland’s open Senate seat. The Prince George’s County executive is facing off against wealthy U.S. Rep. David Trone and a handful of other candidates.

Gone is campaign manager Dave Chase, replaced by Sheila O’Connell, who joins the Alsobrooks campaign from McKenna Media and who was previously campaign manager for U.S. Sen. Chris Van Hollen in 2016. Alsobrooks thanked Chase for “sharing his gifts and talents and getting the campaign off to a strong start.”

The early push by Trone may be paying off: An internal poll of 1,000 likely Democratic voters his campaign released earlier this month showed him leading Alsobrooks, 41% to 34%, with 25% undecided.

Trone’s poll also showed that he had 75% name recognition, compared to 60% for Alsobrooks.

And another independent poll obtained by The Baltimore Banner showed a slightly narrower Trone advantage over Alsobrooks: 36% to 31%, with 18% undecided. The survey of 813 likely voters was commissioned by Blended Public Affairs and Annapolis lobbying firm Perry, White, Ross & Jacobson LLC in mid-November.

The poll indicated Alsobrooks is in trouble among Baltimore Democrats, where Trone leads her 31% to 18%.

The poll also did hypothetical general election matchups of both Alsobrooks and Trone against former Republican Gov. Larry Hogan. Trone is ahead of Hogan, 49% to 34%, while Alsobrooks trails Hogan, 42% to 36%. Hogan has said he’s not interested in running for the Senate, and continues to flirt with a third-party presidential bid.

The Alsobrooks campaign declined to comment on the polling and did not offer further comment on the staff changes. The Trone campaign touted the numbers showing their candidate’s lead.

“This confirms what we have heard from voters as David crisscrosses the state: David Trone has the momentum in the race for the United States Senate because voters in Baltimore and across Maryland are responding to David’s commitment to change the status quo in Washington and get PAC and lobbyist money out of our politics,” Trone campaign spokesman Joe Bowen said in a statement.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Smart move-- Alsobrooks should have beat him to it but, like Wes Moore, she's not the type to lead when it counts.

Rep. David Trone (D-MD), a candidate for U.S. Senate in Maryland who has been a staunchly pro-Israel member of Congress and was a major AIPAC donor, offered sharp criticism of Israel’s military campaign in Gaza and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and endorsed a cease-fire — along with calling for a return of hostages — under questioning from an IfNotNow member at a recent event. In a video posted by the anti-Israel group IfNotNow, Trone, responding to a question at a meet-and-greet on Jan. 6, said that “what happened on Oct. 7 was absolutely horrendous and incomprehensible. But what’s happened since then is also horrendous and incomprehensible,” Jewish Insider’s Marc Rod reports.

Hostage deal: Under follow-up questioning, Trone said, “We need a permanent cease-fire and the hostages released.” He repeatedly paired his calls for a cease-fire with the need to release the hostages.

Israel record: The comments are particularly striking coming from Trone given that he’s been among Israel’s most consistent and vocal supporters in Congress, was a top donor to AIPAC in his private life — having given at least $100,000 to the pro-Israel group — and has been outspoken through his wine and spirits business against the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement targeting Israel.

Rival response: Trone was joined in his support for a cease-fire by Prince George’s County Executive Angela Alsobrooks, against whom he is running for Maryland’s Senate seat, in a statement to JI on Tuesday evening. “The brutal attack on innocent Israelis on October 7 was horrific and the threat of Hamas should be removed from the world. Hamas must return the hostages to their families and we must move quickly towards a ceasefire,” she said. “I believe that the United States and all other nations should do everything in our power to stop the indiscriminate killing of innocent civilians in Gaza, further prevent the humanitarian crisis that is growing and move towards a post war two state solution where Israelis and Palestinians can live in peace and security,” she continued.

ghoststrike

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Either of them should be able to beat him... But I also would have said that about Ben Jealous...

Not necessarily. At one point, Former Governor Larry Hogan had the highest approval rating of any other Governor in the U.S., including a 65% approval rating from Democrats. He's a sensible Republican, i.e. went around then President Trump (who was holding PPE hostage) to get much-needed personal protective equipment during the height of COVID-19 for MD state). He got a LOT of Democratic and Independent votes, including Black votes, and won two terms. The other candidates beating Hogan is ABSOLUTELY NOT a guarantee. And Yep, I voted for Hogan over Ben Jealous who looked like a deer in headlights during the debate.

This race just got a lot more interesting.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I think the strategy seems clear… I’m very pro-choice but it seems tone deaf to portray it as the only issue: