ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Florence needs a Onlyfans :lol:

dune-part-two-premiere-braless-fashion-florence-pugh-zendaya-8.jpg

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Was it just me, or was this movie giving off "The Matrix" type vibes?

The young dude (Paul) was like Neo
The chosen "one" but didn't know it yet & had to discover himself
Javier Bardem played the role of Morphius
Spent most of the movie "believing" the young man was the one/savior
Zendaya played the role of Trinity
Fell in love with "Mr Anderson"
But then he died & was brought back to life by her, & then embraced being "Neo"

:puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member

:puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:
Paul didn’t want it. Neo was lied to.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

I think both The Matrix and Star Wars were inspired by Dune

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

No not just you. But Dune did it all first, of course.. Lol.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2nd installment was the best movie since Top Gun: Maverick.

This movie was awesome and needs to been seen at the theater.

Correction: It needs to be seen at a high end Dolby Cinema theater.
Planning on seeing it in the theaters. So DD over IMAX?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Desert power strikes again! Dune: Part Two revives the box office with massive $81.5 million debut​

Let the spice (and the money) flow!
By Shania Russell

Published on March 3, 2024

Movie theaters have finally found their savior — and yes, you guessed it, he wields desert power.

Dune: Part Two has revived the box office with the biggest debut of the year so far. Armed with sandworms, star-power, and a very memorable popcorn receptacle, the epic sci-fi sequel spiced up theaters nationwide, adding up to a massive opening weekend of $81.5 million domestically per Comscore.

This is double the opening of the first film, which debuted simultaneously on HBO Max in 2021.

After a months-long dry spell, filled with lackluster debuts, Part Two marks a welcome change of pace for the box office. Along with taking the top spot in the U.S., the film snagged the biggest global opening of the year, earning $178.5 million worldwide. Denis Villeneuve’s sequel — which boasts an A-list cast led by Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya — marks the director’s biggest opening to date.

DUNE: PART TWO

Zendaya and Timothee Chalamet.
WARNER BROS.
The adaptation of Frank Herbert's 1965 novel continues the saga of Paul Atreides as he treks across Arakkis with his mother (Rebecca Ferguson) and the Fremen, while plotting revenge on the conspirators who destroyed his family.

There’s a huge gap between the weekend’s first and second place titles. Still, Bob Marley: One Love continued its unexpected streak of success with an additional $7.4 million domestically, bringing its total to $82.7 million (a global cume of $146 million).

The musical biopic was trailed by faith-based drama, Ordinary Angels, which stars Hilary Swank as a fierce small-town hairdresser who crosses paths with a struggling widower and his two young daughters. As she sets out to help them, her story becomes an inspiring tale of everyday miracles and ordinary angels. The film picked up another $3.8 million, for a total of $12.5 domestically.

MADAME WEB

Dakota Johnson in 'Madame Web'.
BETH DUBBER/COLUMBIA PICTURES
Swinging lower than ever, Dakota Johnson’s Madame Web added $3.2 million to its $40.4 million total ($91 million global cume). The film’s disappointing performance even earned a shoutout from star Sydney Sweeney, who used her Saturday Night Live monologue to poke fun at the box office flop.

“You might have seen me in Anyone But You or Euphoria,” Sweeney told the audience. “But you definitely did not see me in Madame Web.”

Below the blockbusters, a certain Christian drama continued its trend of snagging fifth place in the weekend box office: The Chosen Season 4, Episodes 7-8 celebrated another theatrical release to the tune of $3.1 million.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Denis Villeneuve Knows How the Fremen Get Off the Sandworms in ‘Dune 2’: ‘I Found a Way…I Can’t Wait to Put That on Screen’​

By Diego Ramos Bechara
Plus Icon
DUNE: PART TWO, (aka DUNE: PART 2, aka DUNE 2), 2024. © Warner Bros. / Courtesy Everett Collection

©Warner Bros/Courtesy Everett Collection

Riding a sandworm across the desert planet of Arrakis is something most “Dune” fans have undoubtedly wanted to do at one point or another, but it begs the question: how would one actually get off the giant annelids?
Well, “Dune: Part Two” director Denis Villeneuve seems to have an answer, telling IndieWire as such in an interview centered on the sequel.
“Dune’s” lore established that the Fremen — a fiercely independent group of desert warriors — can ride the worms, controlling and using them in battle or as transportation across a vast terrain, with entire villages riding on their capacious backs. However, we never actually see anyone get off the worms.

https://variety.com/lists/best-movies-streaming-march-2024/

Villeneuve revealed he gets “repeated queries” about this “crazy Uber system,” with viewers asking how the Fremen dismounted the worms upon reaching their final destination.
Although Villeneuve has an answer, viewers will unfortunately have to wait until the third installment.
“I knew how. I found a way,” Villeneuve said. “It was not dramatically necessary in ‘Dune: Part Two’ to see someone get out of the worm, but I know how to do it. And I can’t wait to put that on screen.”
He described Paul Atreides’ (played by Timothée Chalamet) sandworm riding scene as his “favorite” sequence in the film. The scene took two months to film, with a second unit needed to execute with gyrating platforms, grapple hooks and blowing desert sand (the whole scene was shot in the desert with sunlight; nothing was made on stage).
ADVERTISEMENT

“Everything that we shot in the deep desert was not easy because I wanted a level of realism that required us to create giant structures or shadow makers in order to make the light believable. The characters and all the action sequences required a tremendous amount of prep, and logistics to protect the crew from the heat and to protect the stunts,” Villeneuve said.
He added: “The one scene that I didn’t want to compromise at all was the worm ride. It technically required a lot of time and research and development. That was by far one of the most complex things I’ve ever done.”
“Dune: Part Two” is the second installment of Villeneuve’s “Dune” film series, an adaptation of the 1965 science fiction novel of the same name by Frank Herbert. Set in a distant future where interstellar travel relies on a valuable spice, young nobleman Paul Atreides must navigate treacherous politics and desert landscapes to fulfill his destiny as he becomes entangled in a power struggle for control of the desert planet Arrakis.

Part Two, released on March 1st, has already generated an impressive $32.1 million gross on opening day, including $12 million from Thursday evening and earlier event preview screenings — the biggest opening weekend of the year, surpassing the $28.6 million three-day total of “Bob Marley: One Love.”

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
IMAX 'ran out of seats' for 'Dune: Part Two' and Legendary Entertainment is interested in 'Part Three'

The Warner Bros. and Legendary Entertainment film was buoyed by IMAX ticket sales, which represented around 23% of domestic ticket sales, or $18.5 million.

Sarah Whitten
MAR 3 2024

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘Dune 2’ Box Office: 5 Takeaways From the Sequel’s Heroic Opening Weekend​

By Rebecca Rubin
Plus Icon
Dune 2

Everett Collection

Not even the prophetic visions of Timothée Chalamet’s Paul Atreides, the messianic protagonist of “Dune,” could have predicted the commercial appeal of director Denis Villeneuve’s ambitious interplanetary epics.
After all, when the long-in-the-works adaptation finally gained momentum in 2017, it was superheroes, not cerebral stories, that ruled the box office. “Dune,” in particular, was notoriously difficult to translate to cinema, as Hollywood learned from director David Lynch’s disastrous 1984 version.
It wasn’t just sci-fi fans, but general audiences, too, who helped “Dune: Part Two” ride those massive sandworms to the top of box office charts. The big-budget sequel has collected a bigger-than-expected $82.5 million in North America and $182.5 million globally in its first weekend of release. It landed the biggest domestic opening of the year while helping to revive a barren box office. Initial ticket sales for the follow-up have far exceeded the original, 2021’s “Dune,” which opened to $41 million while landing simultaneously on HBO Max. It ended its theatrical run with $433 million worldwide, an impressive result that box office experts nonetheless felt would have been bigger with an exclusive theatrical release.

Related Stories​

VIP+

The Death of Peak TV: A Special Report​

Every Marvel Studios Movie and Disney+ Project in 2024 and Beyond​

“Doubling the previous film’s box office debut, even when considering a hybrid release, is no small feat for a sequel in a genre that often has a tough barrier to entry,” says Shawn Robbins, the chief analyst of Boxoffice Pro. “Goodwill from the prior movie and the ability of its stars to promote the film helped bring out more than just die-hard fans this time around.”
“Dune: Part Two,” co-produced and co-financed by Warner Bros. and Legendary Entertainment, cost $190 million to produce and roughly $100 million more to promote to global audiences. It requires box office staying power (which analysts believe it’s primed to have) to justify those hefty price tags.
ADVERTISEMENT

Here are five takeaways from its mighty box office debut:
A prophetic delay?
Theater owners were understandably disappointed that “Part Two,” originally slated to hit the big screen last fall, was delayed until this spring as a result of the actors’ strike. But the reality is that it may have been better positioned by escaping the busy holiday season and relocating to the wide open terrain of March. There hadn’t been a major release in weeks, so “Dune 2” benefitted from pent-up demand to watch a blockbuster on the big screen. Once Warner Bros. and Legendary had the stars at their disposal, they spared no expense in trotting the sprawling ensemble of Chalamet, Zendaya, Austin Butler, Florence Pugh, Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin across the world to promote the film. As a result, the movie was inescapable. “It’s really permeated the culture,” says “Dune” producer Mary Parent.

Power of Imax
Who can resist those colossal sandworms and epic fight scenes in Imax? As audiences ventured back to Arrakis, the desert planet where the action of “Dune” takes place, they chose to experience the journey on the biggest and best screens around. It’s a plus for studios because admission for those auditoriums costs more than the average ticket price. Premium large formats, like Imax and Dolby, contributed a massive 48% of the film’s tally. By comparison, Christopher Nolan’s juggernaut “Oppenheimer” saw 47% of initial ticket sales from PLFs. Demand to experience “Part Two” on 70mm film (the director’s format of choice) was so stratospheric, some daring moviegoers felt like they had no other choice but to spring for showing at 3: 15 a.m.
ADVERTISEMENT

“Our most iconic film locations are virtually sold out for weeks,” says Imax CEO Rich Gelfond.
All hail Timothee Chalamet and Denis Villeneuve!
It’s a good weekend to be Chalamet and Villeneuve, the dynamic duo at the center of the film franchise. After the commercial success of last December’s fantasy musical “Wonka,” thanks in no part to the actor (Chalamet) who dons the top hat, “Dune” confirms that Timmy Tim is the rare leading man whose involvement in a project can compell people to go to theaters. And Villeneuve, who proved once again his prowess for making cinematic sense of Frank Herbert’s bold vision, is the kind of director who can turn brainy sci-fi stories into broadly appealing big-screen spectacles. It’s especially valuable at a time when once-tested IP (such as “Indiana Jones,” DC Comics and Marvel) has been falling short at the box office.
ADVERTISEMENT

“This is a moment for Timothée Chalamet,” said Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Jeff Goldstein, who also worked on “Wonka.” “Audiences are responding to the combination of Denis Villeneuve’s ability to tell a story in an extraordinary way and the extraordinary cast.”
How much can the “Dune” franchise expand?
The sequel has cemented “Dune” as an important new film franchise, but if the producers stay true to the holy text, it may be difficult to maintain this level of interest from the masses. Nothing has been greenlit yet but Villeneuve has been vocal about wanting to complete a trilogy, with hopes to develop the third movie from Herbert’s follow-up novel, “Dune Messiah.” There are already plans to expand the “Dune” universe with the upcoming TV series “Dune: Prophecy,” which will focus on the powerful sisterhood known as the Bene Gesserit. But as Disney is learning with its Marvel Cinematic Universe: Too much of a good thing does exist. Fans can grow tired of beloved properties if they feel like there’s too much to keep up with. Plus, “Dune” gets really, really weird the deeper you go into the books. Will audiences flock to key human characters transforming into sandworms or returning as gholas, “Dune”-speak for resurrected clones? If you think multiverses are narratively out there, just wait until they start adapting “Children of Dune.”

More movies, please!
Cinema operators could rejoice this weekend as cash registers were ringing loudly for the first time in a long time. A week ago, domestic box office revenues were 20% behind the same period in 2023. But “Dune 2” helped to shrink that gap to 13.5%, according to Comscore.
“What a difference a weekend makes,” said senior Comscore analyst Paul Dergarabedian. “Better late than never.”
But the reality is that multiplexes still face a major content shortage after several tentpoles were shifted to 2025 and beyond because of Hollywood’s labor strikes. That’s a problem because theater owners require a steady flow of new movies to get people to cinemas — and buying popcorn. February was dire with two record-low weekends, and although March looks more promising… that’s a low bar. Will Universal and DreamWorks Animation’s family film “Kung Fu Panda 4” (March 8), Lionsgate’s Blumhouse thriller “Imaginary” (also March 8) and Sony’s sequel “Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire” (March 22) be able to close the year-to-date gap? Mark Wahlberg’s “Arthur the King,” a feel-good story about a man who befriends a wounded stray dog, could surprise in the vein of “Marley and Me” or Channing Tatum’s road-trip adventure “Dog.” But it’s not expected to produce the kind of blockbuster numbers that raise the stock prices of movie theaters.
“‘Dune’ and next weekend’s “Kung Fu Panda 4″ should turn the page on 2024’s cold start,” says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research. “But overall, it’s going to take time to refill the pipeline and adjust to shifting tastes.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Austin Butler Improvised That Creepy ‘Dune 2’ Kiss and Says Stellan Skarsgård ‘Is Down for Anything. He’s the Best’​

By Zack Sharf
Plus Icon
DUNE: PART TWO, (aka DUNE: PART 2, aka DUNE 2), Austin Butler, 2024. © Warner Bros. / Courtesy Everett Collection

©Warner Bros/Courtesy Everett Collection

Austin Butler confirmed in an interview with Access Hollywood that his kiss with co-star Stellan Skarsgård in “Dune: Part Two” was improvised on his behalf. The kiss between Butler’s Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen and Skarsgård’s Baron Vladimir Harkonnen is unexpected and creepy as the characters are nephew and uncle, but it reaffirms Feyd-Rautha’s devotion to his uncle and deep desire to be him. That’s also why Butler mimicked Skarsgård’s speaking voice while crafting his own accent for Feyd-Rautha.

“[The kiss] with Stellan Skarsgård? Oh yeah!” Butler said when asked about improvising the moment. “He’s game for anything. He’s the best…it’s always about how you’re trying to affect somebody else.”

Skarsgård told Variety that acting opposite Butler in “Dune: Part Two” was rather hilarious. “I laughed so much because it was so obvious that he really enjoyed being evil,” the actor said.

While Butler became infamous for Method acting thanks to this three-year transformation into Elvis Presley for his Oscar-nominated performance in “Elvis,” he dialed things back considerably to bring the psychopath Feyd-Rautha to life.

“I’ve definitely in the past, with ‘Elvis,’ explored living within that world for three years and that being the only thing that I think about day and night,” Butler told the Los Angeles Times. “With Feyd, I knew that that would be unhealthy for my family and friends.”
ADVERTISEMENT

“I made a conscious decision to have a boundary,” Butler continued. “It allowed for more freedom between action and cut because I knew I was going to protect everybody else outside of the context of what we were doing. That’s not to say that it doesn’t bleed into your life. But I knew that I wasn’t going to do anything dangerous outside of that boundary, and in a way that allowed me to go deeper.”

“Dune: Part Two” director Denis Villeneuve added: “When the camera was on, it was like you were possessed. When the camera was off, you were still maybe 25 or 30% Feyd. Just enough to still be present and focus but removed enough that you didn’t kill anybody on set.”

“Dune: Part Two” is now playing in theaters nationwide from Warner Bros.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘Dune 2’ Spent a Month Shooting Deep in Abu Dhabi Desert to Provide ‘Tactile’ Visuals, Say Denis Villeneuve and Zendaya in Promotional Video (EXCLUSIVE)​

By Nick Vivarelli
Dune 2

For “Dune: Part Two,” Denis Villeneuve delved deep into the Arabian desert and spent almost a month shooting in Abu Dhabi’s Liwa Oasis, which provided a substantial portion of the landscape of the desert planet Arrakis, home to the monstrous sandworms.

Villeneuve praised the location and services provided by the Abu Dhabi Film Commission and UAE-based production services company Epic Films in a promotional behind-the-scenes video, to which Variety has been given exclusive access.

“‘Dune’ is about the relationship of humans with nature,” Villeneuve says in the promo that also features testimonials from Zendaya, Javier Bardem, Rebecca Ferguson and cinematographer Greig Fraser, among others.

https://variety.com/2024/film/box-o...nal-box-office-beats-expectations-1235928695/

“It was important for me to bring that nature to the screen,” adds the director, so that the audience will believe it “if they feel that there is something that feels real, that feels tactile.”

So after shooting for five days in the Abu Dhabi desert for “Dune’s” first installment, Villeneuve and the entire cast and crew returned for “Dune: Part Two” and spent 27 days amid Liwa’s towering rolling dunes, some of which are more than 600 feet tall, on the edge of Rub’ Al Khali, the world’s largest stretch of uninterrupted desert.

“We had a network of 18 miles of road leading us to different locations where we had tents, catering, construction cranes, telehandlers and everything,” says executive producer Tanya Lapointe.

“It was a huge endeavor, but it was spectacular,” adds Lapointe, who also served as second unit director on “Dune: Part Two.”

Legendary Pictures also benefited from the Abu Dhabi Film Commission’s (ADFC) generous 30% cashback rebate on production spend within the Emirate.

For onsite production pros, “the main challenge for ‘Dune: Part Two’ was the logistics,” line producer Robbie McAree, head of UAE-based Epic Films — who worked on both “Dune” films — told Variety in an interview on various aspects of the Abu Dhabi portion of the production.
How challenging was the “Dune: Part Two” shoot from your perspective?

The main challenge this time around were the logistics. Denis didn’t want to shoot in the same locations that we had on “Dune: Part One,” so we were going deeper into the desert, closer to the Saudi border — it’s such a big, empty border desert. We’d go finding new places because that was one of his main things: he didn’t want to use the same location.

How much local UAE crew and talents did you use?
We used close to 300 locally-based crew and contractors on the production, which is quite high compared to roughly 250 international crew who came over. So there were a lot of local professionals, which is great. And even in terms of background extras, I think there were 500, or close to 500, local extras whom we used throughout the 27 days. So it was big in terms of local requirements. And we were able to work very closely with not just the crew and talents, but also with other departments and vendors closely affiliated with the Abu Dhabi Film Commission and the Abu Dhabi municipality. We needed all these bits of assistance especially when we were essentially building these roads through the desert.
In terms of accommodations, did A-list talent such as Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya, actually sleep in the desert?
Where we were filming, obviously it’s close to the Qasr Al Sarab Hotel desert resort, which is great. That was our service point. It’s an amazing, amazing, hotel with great facilities. So, yes, they were all there. Of course, early on we realized that we were going to have a challenge in terms of the amount of beds. So I kind of pitched the idea to the producers — the international producers — of essentially building a camp. At first they were looking at me as if I had three heads. But it worked out, and it was a great solution.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Austin Butler improvised his Dune 2 kiss with Stellan Skarsgård​

The actor gives his onscreen uncle an unsettling smooch in the sequel.
By
Jessica Wang

Updated on March 4, 2024

Austin Butler's unnerving kiss with Stellan Skarsgård in the Dune sequel was completely improvised.

In the film, there's a sequence where Butler's Feyd-Rautha — a foil to Timothée Chalamet's Paul Atreides — smooches his onscreen uncle, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen (played by Skarsgård), that speaks to the young antagonist's devotion to his uncle.

In conversation with Access Hollywood, Butler hailed Skarsgård as "game for anything." He said, "He's the best… it’s always about how you’re trying to affect somebody else."

The sadistic Feyd-Rautha, chosen as the heir of the house, was raised by his villainous uncle, evolving into a cunning young man who would attempt to dethrone Skarsgård's Baron and lead the Harkonnen family.

DUNE: PART TWO STELLAN SKARSGARD as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen and AUSTIN BUTLER as Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen

Stellan Skarsgard and Austin Butler in 'Dune: Part Two'.
WARNER BROS. PICTURES
As a result, Butler — who earned his first Oscar nomination for his role as Elvis Presley in Baz Luhrmann's biopic last year — worked hard to shed the drawl of the King of Rock and Roll to instead embody the voice of costar Skarsgård.

“I felt that because he grew up with the Baron, the Baron would be a big influence on him in many ways,” Butler said in EW's Dune 2 cover story published last month. “So then I started thinking about the way that he speaks, and that being linked to the person that you see with the most power from the time that you're a child, who you do end up emulating in some way.”

And this time around, Butler decided to forego Method acting for the otherwise dark role. "I’ve definitely in the past, with Elvis, explored living within that world for three years and that being the only thing that I think about day and night," he told the Los Angeles Times last month. "With Feyd, I knew that that would be unhealthy for my family and friends."

"I made a conscious decision to have a boundary," Butler added. "It allowed for more freedom between action and cut because I knew I was going to protect everybody else outside of the context of what we were doing. That’s not to say that it doesn’t bleed into your life. But I knew that I wasn’t going to do anything dangerous outside of that boundary, and in a way that allowed me to go deeper, I think."

Let's kiss to that!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Dune fan breaks down his homemade sandworm from viral video​

“The thought popped into my head…it’d be so f---ing funny to ride a worm,” Jesse Myer tells EW.
By Wesley Stenzel

Published on March 4, 2024

And you go on a little slab of worm that is like--

An Oklahoma moviegoer took the internet by (sand)storm when he arrived to his local multiplex riding a homemade sandworm to celebrate the release of Dune: Part Two.

Jesse Myer, a social media content moderator in Tulsa, spent his weekend crafting a rideable worm vehicle that looks like the Shai-Hulud from Denis Villeneuve’s new sci-fi epic. “The thought popped into my head Friday night: It’d be so f---ing funny to ride a worm,” Myer tells EW. “It just entered my head and it would not leave. So I spent my entire weekend making this worm.”

Moviegoer rides homemade sandworm to Dune screening.

Jesse Myer rides his sandworm from 'Dune' through a theater.
TIKTOK
Myer had previously made a stillsuit — the water-recycling jumpsuits sported by the Fremen on Arrakis in Dune — for a local convention over the summer, where he says he won a costume contest for his outfit. “All I had to do was figure out a way to make the worm,” Myer says.

Myer assembled materials from a local craft store, including collapsible tunnel tubes and long sheets of fabric, and attached them to his Onewheel electric skateboard to create his portable Shai-Hulud. He used massage sticks to replicate the Fremen’s wrangling hooks. “It was super slippery, so the sticks were actually pretty useful for balance,” he says.

He had already seen Dune: Part Two on Friday and was prepped for a second round on Saturday night. “I was gonna ride the worm into the showing on Saturday, but the one thing I overlooked was attaching the worm inefficiently,” he explains. “It got snagged in the wheel and was unrideable.” Myer still saw the movie that night, but delayed his viral ride until Sunday afternoon.

Once he’d worked out the kinks, Myer called the manager of the AMC Southroads 20 to get permission to film himself on the worm inside the theater. “Rolling up to the theater was really fun,” he says. “I’m weaving in and out of traffic on a freaking worm, and people are rolling down their windows and waving and taking pictures. People were shocked to see it, and our local news guys were outside the theater freaking out, so that got me excited.” The reaction inside the theater was a little more muted, though still fairly enthusiastic: “Since it was a Sunday matinee, I couldn’t tell if some people were there for something other than Dune and didn’t know what the worm was.”

Moviegoer rides homemade sandworm to Dune screening.

Jesse Myer rides his homemade 'Dune' sandworm.
TIKTOK
Unsurprisingly, Myer loved the movie. “The whole cast is amazing,” he says. “Zendaya’s awesome, as always — it’s fun to get more screen time with her and Timothée Chalamet the two of them since they didn’t get a ton of time in the first one as a couple.” He was especially enthusiastic about Chalamet’s portrayal of Paul Atreides, his favorite character in the saga. “Timothée Chalamet is just a phenomenal actor, he totally delivered. I don’t know if anyone else could do the role.”

Myer is happy that his creation has been embraced by Dune fans around the world. “The fact that I can give other people some joy from a goofy thing is what it’s all about.”

This interview has been edited for clarity and length.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Tim Blake Nelson is 'heartbroken' over his character being cut from Dune: Part Two

The actor shot one scene for the film, in an undisclosed role.
By Shania Russell

Published on March 4, 2024

With Dune: Part Two finally bringing spice back to theaters, fans of the sci-fi saga have begun to notice that a few faces are missing from the Denis Villeneuve-directed sequel.

Among them is Tim Blake Nelson, the Ballad of Buster Scruggs actor who was previously cast in an undisclosed role, but never appears in the movie. Nelson himself has already voiced his disappointment about his single scene being left out of the movie’s final cut.

“I don't think I'm at liberty to say what the scene was,” Nelson recently told MovieWeb. “I'd leave that to Denis, if he wants to talk about it. I had a great time over there shooting it. And then he had to cut it because he thought the movie was too long.”

He added, “I am heartbroken over that, but there's no hard feelings. I loved it, and I can't wait to do something else with him and we certainly plan to do that.

Representatives for Villenueve did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment.

Tim Blake Nelson attends the 72nd Writers Guild Awards at Edison Ballroom on February 01, 2020 in New York City, DUNE: PART TWO TIMOTHÃE CHALAMET as Paul Atreides

Tim Blake Nelson and Timothee Chalamet in Dune.
JAMIE MCCARTHY/GETTY IMAGES; NIKO TAVERNISE/WARNER BROS.
Neither Nelson nor Villenueve have disclosed the role, but fans speculate he was slated to play Count Fenring, husband to Lady Margot (Léa Seydoux) who also serves as a friend, advisor and assassin for Emperor Shaddam (Christopher Walken). Perhaps if Villeneuve gets to fulfill his ambition of making a third film based on Frank Herbert's Dune Messiah, Nelson will get another chance to appear in the franchise.

As fans of Hebert’s novels know all too well, Fenring is not the only character who didn’t make the cut. Though both parts of Villeneuve’s sprawling adaptation are over two hours long, not every element from the novels could be incorporated. The filmmaker, a hard-core Dune fan himself who first read the books at 13-years-old, previously told EW that making cuts was one of the most difficult parts of bringing the story to life.

"When you adapt, there's always some kind of violence toward the original material. You have to change things, you have to bend, you have to make painful choices," Villeneuve said. Of the character portrayed by Stephen McKinley Henderson in the first film, he added, "One of the most painful choices for me on this one was Thufir Hawat."

While Thufir survives the massacre of House Atreides in the novel, the sequel makes no mention of him and Henderson does not return.

"He's a character I absolutely love, but I decided right at the beginning that I was making a Bene Gesserit adaptation,” Villeneuve explained. “That meant that Mentats are not as present as they should be, but it's the nature of the adaptation."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘Dune: Part Two’ Deleted Scenes Will Not Be Released, Cut Actor “Heartbroken”​

Director Denis Villeneuve explains why he won't release scenes he removed from 'Dune 2,' while at least one actor who was cut from the film says he's disappointed at being left out.

BY JAMES HIBBERD

MARCH 4, 2024 10:35AM
DUNE PART TWO Timothee Chalamet

Timothée Chalamet in 'Dune Part Two.' WARNER BROS. / COURTESY EVERETT COLLECTION
The blockbuster Dune: Part Two is nearly three hours long, but it could have been even longer. And director Denis Villeneuve says that any cut scenes will not be seen by the public.

“I’m a strong believer that when it’s not in the movie, it’s dead,” the director told Collider when asked if he will release deleted scenes from the film for its upcoming Blu-ray release. “Sometimes I remove shots and I say, ‘I cannot believe I’m cutting this out. I feel like a samurai opening my gut. It’s painful, so I cannot go back after that and create a Frankenstein and try to reanimate things that I killed. It’s too painful. When it’s dead, it’s dead, and it’s dead for a reason. But yes, it is a painful project, but it is my job. The movie prevails. I’m very severe in the editing room. I’m not thinking about my ego, I’m thinking about the movie … I kill darlings, and it’s painful for me.

Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya in 'Dune: Part Two'
MOVIES

Box Office: 'Dune 2' Delivers on Promise With Big $81.5M Domestic Opening

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...recting-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-1235837162/

“I’ve made movies in my life that were 75 minutes, and this one is two hours, 45 [minutes], I think, something like that,” Villeneuve added. “It’s not the runtime, it’s about the storytelling, and I felt that I wanted to create a momentum. I wanted an energy in the movie that I was looking for that excited me, and I thought that was the perfect runtime … You can be bored by a five-minute movie.”

Villeneuve joins a list of directors who generally decline to release deleted scenes — such as Christopher Nolan and Martin Scorsese.
At least one actor who was entirely cut from the film: Tim Blake Nelson (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs) in an undisclosed role. Nelson told Movieweb, “I don’t think I’m at liberty to say what the scene was. I’d leave that to Denis if he wants to talk about it. I had a great time over there shooting it. And then he had to cut it because he thought the movie was too long. And I am heartbroken over that, but there’s no hard feelings. I loved it, and I can’t wait to do something else with him and we certainly plan to do that.”

Internet sleuths have speculated that Nelson might have been cast as Count Hasimir Fenring, an assassin and adviser to the Emperor (Christopher Walken), who is married to Lady Fenring (Léa Seydoux). The character has a larger role to play in future Dune books, so perhaps he may appear in Dune: Messiah should Warner Bros. greenlight another sequel (which seems rather likely given the film’s $80 million opening weekend box office). Nelson will next be seen in Captain America: Brave New World.

There was another actor who didn’t make the film: Stephen McKinley Henderson played the House Atreides Mentat Thufir Hawat in Dune: Part One. He was officially announced as among the cast when filming began in July 2022, though curiously, Villeneuve recently suggested the decision was made earlier.

“One of the most painful choices for me on this one was [to not include] Thufir Hawat,” Villeneuve told Entertainment Weekly. “He’s a character I absolutely love, but I decided right at the beginning that I was making a Bene Gesserit adaptation. That meant that Mentats are not as present as they should be, but it’s the nature of the adaptation.”

So instead, the audience is left to assume Hawat was killed during the invasion. Interestingly, Count Fenring is also a Mentat, which could help explain why Nelson was cut.

Villeneuve has said he wants to make a Part Three based on Frank Herbert’s novel Dune Messiah and is actively working on script.