Dune Discussion Thread[Spoilers Allowed]

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
hes rich. He was trained in everything.

i watched the movie. Nana said they planted other Messiahs all over the place.
the old lady is a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother not a grandmother

the movie alludes to the fact that the Bene Gesserit have a secret agenda
that secret agenda is central to the whole story of Paul
the Reverend Mother was pissed because Jessica was told to have a daughter which was part of their plan
if i tell you more there will be spoilers
get the book,go to a second hand book store like half price books
the book will make the movie more understandable

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
the old lady is a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother not a grandmother

the movie alludes to the fact that the Bene Gesserit have a secret agenda
that secret agenda is central to the whole story of Paul
the Reverend Mother was pissed because Jessica was told to have a daughter which was part of their plan
if i tell you more there will be spoilers
get the book,go to a second hand book store like half price books
the book will make the movie more understandable
Did Paul’s father know he was going to die? What did he mean when he said he ran out of time? Did someone tell him he will die before his second child is born?

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
since they made movies of Dune and the Foundation
i would like to see Thieves World and the Amber Chronicles made into a series

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Did Paul’s father know he was going to die? What did he mean when he said he ran out of time? Did someone tell him he will die before his second child is born?
no he didn't know about the daughter
he did know he was probably going into a trap,but not how it would unfold
btw the emperor is a distant relation to the Atreides

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
Registered
I think I know of two white girls with Harry Potter tattoos. I don’t think I know anyone with a Dune tattoo.
I don't know anything about Dune. I just know its supposed to be some deep series that several people have tried to bring to the big screen and supposedly it was never meant to be a movie. Which I find interesting.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I hope WB/HBO Max didn't fuck up and we get a part two

That being said, it looked like it did pretty good last night at my theater. I think Halloween Kills might have been more full last week though.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member

That being said, it looked like it did pretty good last night at my theater. I think Halloween Kills might have been more full last week though.
I watched it on my phone while at work. I was okay with my decision until the halfway point. Then I got pissed I watched this movie on a good damn iPhone at work. I'm going to do right and see this in IMAX.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
That is another major gripe I have with this telling. In the books and previous version very early in the story we learn that Duke Leto Paul's father is a doomed man, for the father nothing!

In this telling it is barely hinted at and that hint comes from fucking Leto himself :smh:

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor

I D/L it sunday and watched it tues night...

Wed when I got off work, I was at the theater I had tix for the thurs night showing getting a refund.

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
there is a minseries that was on syfy
gonna check that out today

Frank Herbert's Dune is a three-part miniseries written and directed by John Harrison and based on Frank Herbert's 1965 novel Dune.

Produced by New Amsterdam Entertainment, Blixa Film Produktion and Hallmark Entertainment Distribution, the series was first broadcast in the United States on December 3, 2000 on the Sci Fi Channel. It was later released on DVD in 2001, with a director's cut appearing in 2002.

A 2003 sequel miniseries called Frank Herbert's Children of Dune continued the story, adapting the second and third novels in the series (1969's Dune Messiah and its 1976 sequel Children of Dune). As of 2004, both miniseries were two of the three highest-rated programs ever to be broadcast on the Sci Fi Channel.[1]
Frank Herbert's Dune won two Emmy Awards in 2001 for Cinematography and Visual effects in a miniseries/movie, as well as being nominated for a third Emmy for Sound editing. The series was also praised by several critics, including Kim Newman. [2]

Last edited:

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
there is a minseries that was on syfy
gonna check that out today

Frank Herbert's Dune is a three-part miniseries written and directed by John Harrison and based on Frank Herbert's 1965 novel Dune.

Produced by New Amsterdam Entertainment, Blixa Film Produktion and Hallmark Entertainment Distribution, the series was first broadcast in the United States on December 3, 2000 on the Sci Fi Channel. It was later released on DVD in 2001, with a director's cut appearing in 2002.

A 2003 sequel miniseries called Frank Herbert's Children of Dune continued the story, adapting the second and third novels in the series (1969's Dune Messiah and its 1976 sequel Children of Dune). As of 2004, both miniseries were two of the three highest-rated programs ever to be broadcast on the Sci Fi Channel.[1]
Frank Herbert's Dune won two Emmy Awards in 2001 for Cinematography and Visual effects in a miniseries/movie, as well as being nominated for a third Emmy for Sound editing. The series was also praised by several critics, including Kim Newman. [2]
I re-watched this earlier this summer, it IMO held up well for an early 2000's syfy series.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

If he failed to produce the spice it would have been bad for him and his family, and after he saw how sabotaged all the equipment left were he was thinking he was fucked.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If he failed to produce the spice it would have been bad for him and his family, and after he saw how sabotaged all the equipment left were he was thinking he was fucked.
I was referencing the scene with his wife.

I think General Math Cataract said it would take some time to cipher off the 10 billion whatever

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
I was referencing the scene with his wife.

Yes that scene happened right after he saved the miners from the worm, he realized alot of the equipment left by the other people were sabotaged. He had no idea the Emperor was going to send the fat man to assassinate him. We can only assume that failure to produce the spice would have brought dishonor to his house and probably death.

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
just finished the 1st of 3 in the syfy miniseries i mentioned above
the ep. are 1and 1/2 hr long
i think this new film should have followed this blueprint but maybe 2hrs an ep.
there is more detail in the miniseries but a few things are still left out

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor
Wonderful film, craftsmanship was on fleek, haven't seen a sci-fi film with this much attention to detail ever. Story was still meh but the visuals were so elegant it blew my mind. It was like the covers of the sci-fi novels came to life or staring at a new Rolls-Royce can't praise the film enough. I underdig why the director was upset this masterwork was going to be broadcast on the 'nets, it was tailor made for the theatres. Five stars(*****) from the kid.:cool:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Blkops

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I partially got the challenge, because its a trope you see a lot in scifi.
"Challenge the leader and win then YOU become the leader" - As in Mirror Universe Star Trek, Chronicles of Riddick etc
lol, Chronicles of Riddick - 'You keep what you kill' :rolleyes:

But, why didn't Jamis challenge Stilgar, but instead choose Paul. I didn't get that part.

And nah, I didn't care for the raving part either.
Because Dwyt needed to show how a skinny white boy could beat a brother. They can't tell a story without erasing us or trying to put us in our place.

ScorpDiesel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The movie was "meh". I watched it 1.5x on HBOMAX and once in IMAX. The directing and effects were great, but the storyline was watered down. I was expecting more backstory on the Bene Gesserits and the Navigators at the very least. Hell, Emperor Shaddam IV should've made a scene. Just wasn't enough world-building for me. Also, there was no explanation to how Paul experienced his visions. In the books, his visions were possible futures.

TheAlias

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
What did he mean when he said he ran out of time?

He knew the emperor was laying a trap for him sending his family to Arrakis. His hope was that he was able to get spice production moving and enlist the help of the Fremen before whatever was coming happened.

I think once he saw how poor in shape everything was, he knew shit was going to come to head sooner rather than later, thus his comment about having more time.

As I understand it. I haven't read the book.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
I partially got the challenge, because its a trope you see a lot in scifi.
"Challenge the leader and win then YOU become the leader" - As in Mirror Universe Star Trek, Chronicles of Riddick etc
lol, Chronicles of Riddick - 'You keep what you kill' :rolleyes:

But, why didn't Jamis challenge Stilgar, but instead choose Paul. I didn't get that part.

And nah, I didn't care for the raving part either.

He didn't agree with bringing the kid back to their base. He wanted to kill them.