Elon Musk reaches deal to buy Twitter for $44B - Brazil has lifted its ban on Twitter/X

ghoststrike

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The 19 Investors Financing Elon Musk's Twitter Deal

EQUITY INVESTORAGGREGATE EQUITY COMMITMENT
A.M. Management & Consulting$25,000,000
AH Capital Management, L.L.C. (a16z)$400,000,000
Aliya Capital Partners LLC$360,000,000
BAMCO, Inc. (Baron)$100,000,000
Binance$500,000,000
Brookfield$250,000,000
DFJ Growth IV Partners, LLC$100,000,000
Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC$316,139,386
Honeycomb Asset Management LP$5,000,000
Key Wealth Advisors LLC$30,000,000
Lawrence J. Ellison Revocable Trust$1,000,000,000
Litani Ventures$25,000,000
Qatar Holding LLC$375,000,000
Sequoia Capital Fund, L.P.$800,000,000
Strauss Capital LLC$150,000,000
Tresser Blvd 402 LLC (Cartenna)$8,500,000
VyCapital$700,000,000
Witkoff Capital$100,000,000
HRH Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Alsaud (Kingdom)$1.89 billion (34.9 million shares)
Showing 1 to 19 of 19 entries

Note: Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has pledged to commit nearly 35 million shares in Twitter to retain an investment in the company
Source: public filing

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
The 19 Investors Financing Elon Musk's Twitter Deal

EQUITY INVESTORAGGREGATE EQUITY COMMITMENT
A.M. Management & Consulting$25,000,000
AH Capital Management, L.L.C. (a16z)$400,000,000
Aliya Capital Partners LLC$360,000,000
BAMCO, Inc. (Baron)$100,000,000
Binance$500,000,000
Brookfield$250,000,000
DFJ Growth IV Partners, LLC$100,000,000
Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC$316,139,386
Honeycomb Asset Management LP$5,000,000
Key Wealth Advisors LLC$30,000,000
Lawrence J. Ellison Revocable Trust$1,000,000,000
Litani Ventures$25,000,000
Qatar Holding LLC$375,000,000
Sequoia Capital Fund, L.P.$800,000,000
Strauss Capital LLC$150,000,000
Tresser Blvd 402 LLC (Cartenna)$8,500,000
VyCapital$700,000,000
Witkoff Capital$100,000,000
HRH Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Alsaud (Kingdom)$1.89 billion (34.9 million shares)
Showing 1 to 19 of 19 entries

Note: Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has pledged to commit nearly 35 million shares in Twitter to retain an investment in the company
Source: public filing

Surprised to see Brookfield up there..

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Twitter is real life for about 20% of the country. MAYBE. So yes, that's a lot of people, but the vast majority of people are not on twitter every day.

If Twitter was real life, Bernard Sanders would be finishing his second term.
That ain't Bernard Sanders in the Whitehouse?
Wow you learn some new shit everyday.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Its insane.

Twitter aint real life.

People who are going nuts cause dude paid his money to buy the company aint focusing on the right things in their life.

Dude paid his money. You dont like what he does with it, dont patronize the product, but keep it moving, we really do all have better things to do in life.
I have never had a Twitter account but Twitter post are flooded here everyday.

Twitter is a bit of both the real world and lala land.

Like the real world Twitter dispense a lot of misinformation and disinformation that can and do have real life implications.

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
Screenshot-2022-11-05-203341.png

I remarked about the problems of Bill Cosby experienced buying NBC. When you buy one of their companies, they are trapped, they can't mass exodus the company and exposed their racist behavior. The same thing is taking place with Twitter, you have to accept integrating with right wing ideology.

Elon Musk, we need to set that fool up with a false rape charge.

7d8f85d4506c8594ac9b546b48076a23.jpg

I think she is a Lesbian, this will further bolster the false rape charge since she is not interested in men. The alternative is having her in a long term committed relationship, a Gwen Stefani/Blake Shelton where there is thousand of picture showing them deeply in love. I know he was real chatty with AOC, he might like them young and latino; she will definitely do it to take the Twitter for the DNC.

First we will get him to settle out of court, for a nominal amount that we will leak the details. Nobody will know Elon, it will all go away, just make this quick deposition saying you drugged her that will be 'sealed'

Now you can mass leave the platform, you don't want your kids exposed to a sex offender/rapist.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am thinking he might be going through a Jeff Bezos or Ben Affleck, wanting something darker than normal later in life. All we need to do is get him to settle with the belief that this small sum of money will make everything disappear. You are not looking for a criminal conviction, you can use the criminal conviction to push him into settling.

3473.jpg

Of course everything will leak out similar to Michael Jackson or Cosby to the media.

Another tactic is sending multiple operatives that will make similar claims, lesbian, or in a deeply committed relationship with another person. I am leaning towards the lesbian, has never wanted a man ruse to take him down.

All we need is plausible reason to mass exodus the platform, that is not related to political ideology of the founder. Because Twitter was a tech monopoly for so long, you can't just leave easily.

Last edited:

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Countless people said this exact thing would happen...

"What we’ve seen recently since the change on Twitter has been announced, is the amount of hate speech increase significantly," Van de Put said. "We felt there is a risk our advertising would appear next to the wrong messages.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor

With Twitter's change in ownership last week, I'm probably in the clear to talk about the most unethical thing I was asked to build while working at Twitter.

To set the stage, this was the 2015-2016 era. @dickc was just ousted, though he was wonderful and made us feel like family.

@jack came in as part-time CEO. Twitter had been near death for a while and was desperately trying to find a buyer. Facebook and Google both refused.

Most people don't really appreciate how close Twitter was to shutting down. The 2016 election was the only thing that saved them and made them relevant again (to the detriment of us all). But I digress...

I worked as a software engineer on a team with a charter to make Twitter work better for people in emerging markets (Brazil, India, Nigeria, etc...). This meant a lot of mobile work. And was mostly non-visual stuff - reducing bandwidth, memory usage, battery consumption.

Oh and app size... we fought tooth and nail to keep the app under 10MB. FB had the money to zero-rate for people in India to d/l a 100MB app, but we did not. We finally lost the 10MB battle when Twitter Video launched (iirc). After that, all discipline around app size was lost.

One of the first areas I worked on was improving the way our mobile apps uploaded logs. Twitter, like most mobile apps, logs *everything* users do – every swipe, tap, edit, delay, etc… – for debugging, metrics, and experiments.

The size of logs adds up quickly.
In the app, HTTP responses were compressed, but requests weren't. Logs are highly compressible, so I wired up support to gzip HTTP requests, and tweaked our log ingestion server to handle these.

(That reduced mobile bandwidth consumption by ~40% iirc. It was absurd.)

So I became known as the mobile logs guy. And that sets the stage for why I was pulled into a Sales conversation. Twitter was on its death bed and was desperate for money. A large telco wanted to pay us to log signal strength data in N. America and send it to them.

My plan was to aggregate signal strength by carrier / by location. I worked with Data Science to find a granularity – minimum area size and minimum distinct users per area – that would preserve anonymity even when combined with other sources of data (differential privacy).

When we sent this data to the telco they said the data was useless. They switched their request and said they want to be able to tell how many of our users are entering their competitors’ stores.

A bit sketchier, but maybe workable in a privacy respecting way?
We ran an alternative by the telco. They didn’t like it and were frustrated. So was Sales. I was asked to go to telco’s HQ and figure out exactly what they want.

The subsequent request was absurd.
I wound up meeting with a Director who came in huffing and puffing.

The Director said “We should know when users leave their house, their commute to work, and everywhere they go throughout the day. Anything less is useless. We get a lot more than that from other tech companies.”

I responded with some variant of “No fucking way”.

There was no universe where I was going to help sell granular identifiable user location data.

This led to more internal meetings. Legal said the request was fine – none of it violated the user ToS.
Normally they might find another engineer to do this work, but my whole team was aligned with the privacy concerns. Twitter had also just done layoffs (aside: time is a flat circle), so there were no spare engineers around.

My team wasn’t touched by layoffs, but half of them had quit anyway. Twitter was having a mass exodus.

I had done what I could, but Twitter was no longer a place to do good work. I decided to join the exodus and would pull any levers to kill this on my way out.
One random anecdote:

In the middle of this, I had gotten a new manager who, in a retention attempt I’ll never forget, said “If we filled a dump truck with money and dumped it on you, would you stay and build this?”

I wasn’t really sure how to respond to that… but no dice.
My last email written at Twitter was to Jack. To his credit, he responded quickly with something to the effect of “Let me look into that and make sure there isn’t a misunderstanding. It doesn’t seem right. We wouldn’t want to do that.”

It was in his hands now.
As far as I know, the project actually got canned. Jack genuinely didn’t like it.

I don’t know if this mindset will hold true with the new owner of Twitter though. I would assume Elon will do far worse things with the data.
And, for the any employees still at Twitter, don’t underestimate the power of a pocket veto.

Sometimes it doesn’t work out, or you have to escalate and risk it back firing, but a good pocket veto is a tool to learn to wield well.