Global Microsoft Counterstrike Outage

Sloboogie

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I work overnight as an analyst and got locked out of my workstation and was able to recover with the bitlocker key. My personal device has ALL access to everything blocked via Firewall, and asks me permission 1st, so the personal PC is still up and running, The non-savvy have not been so lucky.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Seems like a patch from Crowdstrike created this problem.
They said that they have applied the fix, but it takes time to spread to all affected systems.

Neither company i work for uses Crowdstrike, we use Tanium.....so we didn't receive any of those patch updates.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok,

So Crowdstrike is a cybersecurity company that issues updates to Microsoft systems.....

There is an issue with the latest update that they issued..... if crowdstrike worked with Apple products then the headlines would read "Global outtage related to Apple systems" ........

this is what happens when they rollout updates without thoroughly testing it on test systems first.
taking shortcuts fucks shit up.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Well this just exposed a MAJOR security flaw in Windows.

Meanwhile, Linux users

6a9b19d5023f255aabc1be572a735092bdfda59d.gif

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I’m able to log into my laptop but it’s a lot of people at my job not able to log into some our systems at work. Very weird

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
I woke up and my laptop was lunchin. I thought it was just a glitch since we were testing patches. Now it's global. I can still work a bit but some of the things I do is hampered for now. It didn't effect home computers, mostly business and government. Only reason this makes me shake my head is because my security department is always bugging me to deploy that software on machines.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Blah blah blah.
I bit some remote employee is on a "quiet vacation" and didn't hit enter.

Stix-N-Stonz

Dirty Civilian
Platinum Member
Days like this I'm glad I don't do tech support anymore. Only impact this outage has had on me was I had to go back home to get cash for my cigarettes because the store couldn't take cards. :dunno:

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
Seems like its all cloud based. Knew this would happen once companies removed their onsite data stacks to the cloud. Doesnt matter how diverse your connectivity is if the cloud carriers operating systems go down.
the biggest problem is that it blue screened every client PC

most of the time them shit's ain't backed up

i just talked to people that works at fedex and they are siting on a blue screen and the computer will not recover

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
There is a way to recover (allegedly):

1. Boot Windows into Safe Mode or WRE.

2. Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\CrowdStrike

3. Locate and delete file matching "C-00000291*.sys"

4. Boot normally.

Problem is, if you have domain connected devices, elevated accounts and the like are not going to work until you patch your domain controllers and anything CS touched.
Also, you may need your bitlocker recovery key so you can enter the Safe Mode menu (F8).