Has there ever been a GOAT in sports who retired on top? WHY CAN'T GOATS GO OUT ON TOP??? update: SHOULD SIMONE BILES RETIRE AFTER THIS OLYMPICS???

SHOULD SIMONE BILES RETIRE AFTER 2024 OLYMPICS???

• YES - she did the damn thing! time to go while the gettin's good!

• NO - if she had more in the tank then go for it! 2028

Results are only viewable after voting.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I would say John Elway did. Won B2B Super Bowls, then retired. If that ain't going out on top, I don't know what is. He was in the GOAT conversation at the time, I believe.
He’s not the goat but he was great..he definitely did end it in championship fashion

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
John Elway and David Robinson would be considered goats by their fan bases and they got to ride off into the sunset in their last game.

As for goats in the sport itself, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Sandy Koufax.

vertigo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
He’s not the goat but he was great..he definitely did end it in championship fashion

Yeah, I don't even like the dude (longtime Chargers fan) but I think back when he retired, he was in the GOAT conversation with QBs like Montana, Staubach, Bradshaw and Marino.- people most would not even PUT in the goat conversation now, with maybe the exception of Montana.
Folks like Manning, Brady, Rogers were not in or just in the league and I think Farve had just got his first ring with 5years in.

I would say for purposes of the "who is or isn't the goat" conversation you have to look at the era that the athlete retired and how they were regarded then, not their place in history now.

Last edited:

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool

won the belt from last minute replacement, part time fighter, number #11, Al iaquinta, defended his belt against Conor who didn't deserve a title shot, then fought Dustin and Justin and retired. Explain to me in what word does that resume make you a goat? I'm no particular order: Jose Aldo, DC, Jon Jones, mighty mouse, Anderson Silva hell...Valentina and Amanda Nunes, stipe, gsp, bj Penn, fedor, kamaru, Izzy, Matt Hughes, volk. And shit even tito Ortiz all have more title defenses against better comp. Khabib was great and was on his way to being considered, but he retired to early and if he wasn't white no one would be spinning that narrative. Shit even the frozen one Tyrone Woodley has more defenses lol

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, I don't even like the dude (longtime Chargers fan) but I think back when he retired, he was in the GOAT conversation with QBs like Montana, Staubach, Bradshaw and Marino.- people most would not even PUT in the goat conversation now, with maybe the exception of Montana.
Folks like Manning, Brady, Rogers were not in or just in the league and I think Farve had just got his first ring with 5years in.

I would say for purposes of the "who is or isn't the goat" conversation you have to look at the era that the athlete retired and how they were regarded then, not their place in history now.
Why would you take Marino out of the conversation? Wasn't he putting up modern day numbers when you could actually hit the QB and mug the receivers?

neptunes007

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
thats a good point. but he did leave on top though, and had to work to be as good as he was at rag-dolling guys before he retired. Plus when he got his technique fine tuned no one grapple better against him in his weight class at least.

Mighty Mouse, Luke Rockhold, and BJ Penn were my favorites because they consistently had brutal matches in the octagon whether they won or loss.

won the belt from last minute replacement, part time fighter, number #11, Al iaquinta, defended his belt against Conor who didn't deserve a title shot, then fought Dustin and Justin and retired. Explain to me in what word does that resume make you a goat? I'm no particular order: Jose Aldo, DC, Jon Jones, mighty mouse, Anderson Silva hell...Valentina and Amanda Nunes, stipe, gsp, bj Penn, fedor, kamaru, Izzy, Matt Hughes, volk. And shit even tito Ortiz all have more title defenses against better comp. Khabib was great and was on his way to being considered, but he retired to early and if he wasn't white no one would be spinning that narrative. Shit even the frozen one Tyrone Woodley has more defenses lol

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
thats a good point. but he did leave on top though, and had to work to be as good as he was at rag-dolling guys before he retired. Plus when he got his technique fine tuned no one grapple better against him in his weight class at least.

Mighty Mouse, Luke Rockhold, and BJ Penn were my favorites because they consistently had brutal matches in the octagon whether they won or loss.
if we where talking retiring while on top then if agree, it's just laughable to put khabib in any kind of goat discussion. He retired young in his prime and I can commend him for that, but to compare him to someone like mighty mouse with 11 straight title defenses against completely well rounded fighters(remember khabib faced zero grapplers in his weight class and fought at 155 while walking around at over 200lbs) or Jon Jones with 14 total defenses, zero loses all while clearing out several generations of light heavyweights ranging from BJJ practitioners, wrestler's, strikers and well rounded mma fighters is to me insulting and only a narrative because he's white. Could khabib have remained undefeated and defended his title 11+ times? We'll never know. Personally imo he's a weight bully who would not have been able to make 55 much longer and I don't see him beating guys like Colby or Usman at 75. Great white hype.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nah that's just your interpretation. there have been plenty of bums on championship teams that have quit after they won the title. This is about on top of the game. In team sports if you are the best at your position you are on top.

Well truly there's only a few GOATS but if we're talking about the best at position or in league.

Jokic is a 2 time MVP and possibly a 3rd on the way.

ZVYXTSB7UVBT3GA4SE72K222ZY.jpg

With no championships, if he retired today would he be going out on top as a GOATS or would he just be going home?

neptunes007

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
if we where talking retiring while on top then if agree, it's just laughable to put khabib in any kind of goat discussion. He retired young in his prime and I can commend him for that, but to compare him to someone like mighty mouse with 11 straight title defenses against completely well rounded fighters(remember khabib faced zero grapplers in his weight class and fought at 155 while walking around at over 200lbs) or Jon Jones with 14 total defenses, zero loses all while clearing out several generations of light heavyweights ranging from BJJ practitioners, wrestler's, strikers and well rounded mma fighters is to me insulting and only a narrative because he's white. Could khabib have remained undefeated and defended his title 11+ times? We'll never know. Personally imo he's a weight bully who would not have been able to make 55 much longer and I don't see him beating guys like Colby or Usman at 75. Great white hype.

man i am not saying he better than them in no way fashion or form. but i cant deny what he did during his time in the octagon.

vertigo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Why would you take Marino out of the conversation? Wasn't he putting up modern day numbers when you could actually hit the QB and mug the receivers?

Marino was a beast and one of the best that I've ever seen do it- My comment was that I didn't think < most > people wouldn't put him on a goat list these days, probably mostly because he never won a ring. Though back then he was absolutely in the goat conversation. Growing up, my best friend was a dolphins fan, so it was Marino vs Fouts (Chargers) between us for years.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
I would say John Elway did. Won B2B Super Bowls, then retired. If that ain't going out on top, I don't know what is. He was in the GOAT conversation at the time, I believe.
I’d argue that wasn’t even peak Elway those last two SBs though, he had a unstoppable running game with Terrell Davis and a great D, he was still a good QB but not at the same level he was his prior three SB visits when Denver got mopped.

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
man i am not saying he better than them in no way fashion or form. but i cant deny what he did during his time in the octagon.
He did less then kamaru Usman, I'm not impressed. Again won the title from a real estate agent, He faced zero grapplers, only champion he ever beat was Conor, and retired after only three title defenses. Lmao Still I give him credit for being dominant in his short time at the UFC, and being smart enough to retire after getting the bag. But we're talking about the goat, he's not in that conversation.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well truly there's only a few GOATS but if we're talking about the best at position or in league.

Jokic is a 2 time MVP and possibly a 3rd on the way.

ZVYXTSB7UVBT3GA4SE72K222ZY.jpg

With no championships, if he retired today would he be going out on top as a GOATS or would he just be going home?
if joker retires with not one ring is he in the GOAT convo with MJ LJ Curry, Magic and Bird???

Last edited:

neptunes007

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He did less then kamaru Usman, I'm not impressed. Again won the title from a real estate agent, He faced zero grapplers, only champion he ever beat was Conor, and retired after only three title defenses. Lmao Still I give him credit for being dominant in his short time at the UFC, and being smart enough to retire after getting the bag. But we're talking about the goat, he's not in that conversation.

I am man enough to bow the knee. No ego here

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
This thread is kinda dumb.

Leaving on top means you're also leaving millions of dollars behind. You play until youre no longer valuable.

Only dumb fans care about a Disney ending. Ninja's live in the real world and want every dollar possible

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This thread is kinda dumb.

Leaving on top means you're also leaving millions of dollars behind. You play until youre no longer valuable.

Only dumb fans care about a Disney ending. Ninja's live in the real world and want every dollar possible
Not true. A lot folks played past there prime because they were trying to get that storybook ending.

Of course, a few stayed for ego and couldn't admit father time caught with them, while some stayed because they would be broke otherwise.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Who?
You're just making up shit
Okay, so what was the reason all those old heads were taking paycuts going to New England during the last couple of years of their career instead of going for the big paydays?

New England was not the place to go for a payday. You went there because you had a legit chance to get ring.

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
Okay, so what was the reason all those old heads were taking paycuts going to New England during the last couple of years of their career instead of going for the big paydays?

New England was not the place to go for a payday. You went there because you had a legit chance to get ring.
Those old heads were goats?

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
George st Pierre isn't the goat, he got knocked out by Matt serra and got the breaks beat off him in his retirement fight vs johnny Hendricks, coming back to fight in a different weight to beat a literally one eyed Micheal bisping also wasn't very impressive.

Mayweather on the other hand is a good choice.

George’s St. Pierre hadn’t lost in 10 years when he retired. Beat all the top contenders in his division. Including 2 of my team mates. That Serra fight was a lucky KO and they didn’t have a rematch.