Jack Daniels mentor has his own whiskey now

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Met a rep at juneteenth in San Jose and he gave me and the wife a shot and history of Uncle Nearest and Jack Daniels and it was a pretty cool story. The whisky is strong sitting at 103 proof, not a lot of flavor but strong as hell but smooth. Had it over ice and once it mellowed it wasn’t bad but not a must have for the bar outside of the story and history.

That's that "speed aging" shit.... There's a Cleveland Bourbon that does that and another ohio brand. Both of em are harsh and bitter on initial taste. I never thought of putting it over ice and letting it chill or mellow... I mixed those mfkrs with coke and suffered through the bottle.....

With this brand, I hope while they're using the speed process now, they are establishing a way of producing the real aged stuff a few years down the road.. The higher proof is great and all, but not if the taste and initial quality suffers.

Cybts1

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Curious to know what was wrong with it for you?

I just did not like the taste, tried it straight and with all the mixers I usually use with Jack Daniel's and it was a no go for me. I can't speak for other people, try it and you might like it. :dunno:

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Finally found a spot near me that carries it.....at $60 its steeper than the Bulleit I'm used to buying/ drinking..... I want to support.....but again I've tried "speed aging" before and that ish was trash.....both times

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Thanks ....Just now seeing this thread. Sub'd and gonna take a good look and watch the OP tomorrow when I'm of clearer mind... I have ambitions of getting into the business in the next phase of my career..

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks ....Just now seeing this thread. Sub'd and gonna take a good look and watch the OP tomorrow when I'm of clearer mind... I have ambitions of getting into the business in the next phase of my career..
I can see a lot of brothas getting into alcohol and cannabis production now that everything is legalized. Good luck to you.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
I can see a lot of brothas getting into alcohol and cannabis production now that everything is legalized. Good luck to you.

Yea man, it's only right. More of a dream of mine than a reality right now but def keeping my options open on my journey.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Here is my honest review;

Uncle Nearest, further referenced as UN, is a smooth whiskey.

I was under the impression it was a "speed aged" whiskey due to to shortened period to bring it to market.

So I poured a little my drinking glass. Let it breathe 5 - 10 mins. I smelled it, about normal
then I took a healthy swig. Swished it around a bit and swallowed.........smooth.

Then I poured about 3 fingers worth into my glass and again let it breathe.......this time mixing it with my "goto" mixer of sweet tea........very smooth.

A little about me: I've tried a few whiskeys and bourbons, not exclusive shit, but a few varieties at least a dozen brands and 2 or 3 different types in those brands.

My initial thinking that it was "speed aged" was definitely incorrect. They are either blending with someone else's liquor or they have been sitting on these barrels for a few years......(probability on blending).

This liquor is 100 proof, but not abrasive or harsh....pretty damn smooth. Not quite "white" Henny smooth, but smoother than the higher proofed Jim's and Jack's.

I mixed my 3 fingers with sweet tea......damned good. I added more ice because I don't really like my liquor room temp.....

This shit will mix well with most other Whiskey Mixers.

The one thing it has against it is price.

A Liter of Bulleit is 90 proof and about $32.
750ml of Nearest is $55!.....so about 3/4 of the size but nearly 2X the price!

Overall, I would recommend on the strength of it being black owned, smooth and STRONG! but I'd your pockets are a lil light.....there are definitely cheaper and almost as good alternatives

Last edited:

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not available here just yet, but I am taking a trip to Tennessee / Georgia in a couple months if not here by then....

Didn't listen to the whole interview, but how do they have a 9yr aged whiskey if they've only been doing this a year or 2? ( was this stock from another distillery). There's a Cleveland company that "speed ages" their whiskey and honestly I thought it tasted terrible

Got an update. Cleveland "Underground" Whiskey has come a long way. Apparently they heard the complaints and were constantly tweaking the formula.....even won a couple awards back in 2021 at THE San Francisco Whiskey competition beating out bigger and more well known brands. Tried their cherry finished whiskey (the award winning series)....

Gotta say, this shit tastes a lot better than that other shit from 2018. Like a lot!

CW_Underground_BlackCherryWood_CMYK_Nov2107-529x1024_burned.png

dik cashmere

Freaky Tah gettin high that's my brother
BGOL Investor
@850credit i know you’re in the A. My people have a whiskey out there called greenwood whiskey

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
@850credit i know you’re in the A. My people have a whiskey out there called greenwood whiskey

Nice...I don't drink but I may get some as a gift for others.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
The 1884 is really good but the 1856 has an aftertaste that I don’t like, reminds me of George Dickle 15-year single barrel a lot, I might need to get another bottle that’s been distilled since UN took that over from GD, as GD handled it for them until they got up to speed. The one I was sipping on was a gift given to me a few years ago.

Cybts1

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I LOVE jack Daniels and don't care much for Uncle Nearest. I can walk away from since they want to be A-hole, no problem.
Just saying.
:(