Michael B. Jordan Superhero Family Drama 'Raising Dion' Set at Netflix (Oct. 4th)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ok half way in...

Mother is fine as hell but annoying.

The trying to explain away her bad decision making with so far implied mental issues or overall flakiness in the past.

The storyline is predictable as f*ck

Writing is uneven but i excuse alot cause they world building but alot of stuff just doesn't make sense. Or just doesn't work.

I Like the doctor older sister character

The godfather is good he need to turn down the super exaggerated awkwardness cause all it does is telegraph the "twist" i already see coming a mile away.

The mood shift the forced niceness now migraines he see the picture of the farmer in the sectet vault and the farmer is immediately killed.

The little kid is cute and so passionate but miscast or poorly directed he goes to 100 on cuteness and only has one other expression but he when he is on? He is great.

That kid in the wheelchair nails every scene she is in, they ALL can learn from her.

Overall I'm very very happy to have a family friendly sci fi superhero series i can share

Last edited:

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Ok half way in...

Mother is fine as hell but annoying.

The trying to explain away her bad decision making with so far implied mental issues ir overall flakiness in the past.

The storyline is predictable as f*ck

Writing is uneven but i excuse alot cause they workd building but alot of stuff just doesn't make sense. Or just doesn't work.

I Like the doctor older sister character

The godfather is good he need to turn down the super exaggerated awkwardness cause all it does is telegraph the "twist" i already see coming a mile away.

The mood shift the forced niceness now migraines he see the picture of the farmer in the sectet vault and the farmer is immediately killed.

The little kid is cute and so passionate but miscast or poorly directed he goes to 100 on cuteness and only has one othet expression but he when he is on? He is great.

That kid in the wheelchair nails every scene she is in they ALL can learn from her.

Overall I'm very very happy to have a family friendly sci fi superhero series i can share

I didn't catch any implied mental illness issues for the mother, but I pretty much watched it in one sitting. The times that topic is implied is by way of the sister and given that the mother seemed to be acting irrational it makes sense from the sisters point of view.

It just seemed like the standard single mom who is struggling through life and this was how she overcame tragedy story. Of course the major difference is the kid is superpowered.

I assume the mother was cut off by her parents (at least as far as school) for perusing her passion. Because the father was the provider, it was not an issue until after his disappearance/death.

I do agree it was predictable, but I'm hoping it gets a second season given how this one ended. The next potential villain was also very predictable.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Dude was never really a savior character. They made it clear from the first ep he was a boarder line incel. If it wasn't for the fact he was her husband's best friend and he was really good with kid, she wouldn't have given him the time of day.

The only time she ever called him for anything is if she needed a favor for Dion.
This. Although the fat hoe was encouraging her to bed wench herself out. It was a decent show, the acting was was terrible to mediocre though.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I didn't catch any implied mental illness issues for the mother, but I pretty much watched it in one sitting. The times that topic is implied is by way of the sister and given that the mother seemed to be acting irrational it makes sense from the sisters point of view.

It just seemed like the standard single mom who is struggling through life and this was how she overcame tragedy story. Of course the major difference is the kid is superpowered.

I assume the mother was cut off by her parents (at least as far as school) for perusing her passion. Because the father was the provider, it was not an issue until after his disappearance/death.

I do agree it was predictable, but I'm hoping it gets a second season given how this one ended. The next potential villain was also very predictable.

I'm only 5 episodes but its kinda obvious to me at least. The sister mentions things like don't do this AGAIN, there you go AGAIN, etc etc.

She is flaky emotional doesn't handle pressure well.

Which I'm fine with. But it just didn't work for me. Cause it made her more frustrating than sympathetic. But i loved the single mom challenges.

And like i said i love that this exists for family viewing and already i want another season. Cause the issues are very fixable.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
They should have coached him better with his hand gestures. That shit was soooooo disconnected to the action on the screen.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm only 5 episodes but its kinda obvious to me at least. The sister mentions things like don't do this AGAIN, there you go AGAIN, etc etc.

She is flaky emotional doesn't handle pressure well.

Which I'm fine with. But it just didn't work for me. Cause it made her more frustrating than sympathetic. But i loved the single mom challenges.

And like i said i love that this exists for family viewing and already i want another season. Cause the issues are very fixable.

Oh ok, but not being reliable is different from having a mental illness. Even with that I still feel like the sister didn't approve of things the mother decided to do with her life, but it wasn't necessarily outright bad choices by the mother.

If all of your siblings went to and graduated from college, that is what would be expected from you by your family as well. If you decided you were not going to attend college and were going to be a professional e sports player, your family would label you as a bad decision maker especially if it initially didn't work out. Even if it did workout, youd probably still be seen as wasting your potential by your family.

I lost track of the timeline, but it could also be that the parents getting married and having a child was considered a bad decision. Again that would be people trying to tell you how to live your life and judging you for making your own decisions.

I wasn't paying attention during the dance related flashbacks, so I could have missed something that validates your thoughts.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Oh ok, but not being reliable is different from having a mental illness. Even with that I still feel like the sister didn't approve of things the mother decided to do with her life, but it wasn't necessarily outright bad choices by the mother.

If all of your siblings went to and graduated from college, that is what would be expected from you by your family as well. If you decided you were not going to attend college and were going to be a professional e sports player, your family would label you as a bad decision maker especially if it initially didn't work out. Even if it did workout, youd probably still be seen as wasting your potential by your family.

I lost track of the timeline, but it could also be that the parents getting married and having a child was considered a bad decision. Again that would be people trying to tell you how to live your life and judging you for making your own decisions.

I wasn't paying attention during the dance related flashbacks, so I could have missed something that validates your thoughts.

We are now giving this show way more depth and consideration than the writers themselves.

I hope they give the characters our level of attention in season 2

Sidebar...

The fight in school involving the principal was exceptionally done and should be mandatory viewing.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
We are now giving this show way more depth and consideration than the writers themselves.

I hope they give the characters our level of attention in season 2

Sidebar...

The fight in school involving the principal was exceptionally done and should be mandatory viewing.

I thought the thing with the principal should have gotten more time.

As far putting to much thought into the mother, I think that goes back to you point about the writing needing some work. That being said there was a scene were the sisters talking about the mother being pre-med at one point. That part of the mother's history probably should have been touched on more.

Reactions: PJN

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I thought the thing with the principal should have gotten more time.

As far putting to much thought into the mother, I think that goes back to you point about the writing needing some work. That being said there was a scene were the sisters talking about the mother being pre-med at one point. That part of the mother's history probably should have been touched on more.

Co sign every thing you said

Also pat called her a handful flaky dancer...

And i said that in the first episide.

They just need to tighten up the writing

Last edited:

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
@geechiedan @World B Free @jackeebleu

:yes::yes::yes:

I remember when the short was posted on the board.

Michael B. Jordan Superhero Family Drama 'Raising Dion' Set at Netflix

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ily-drama-raising-dion-set-at-netflix-1045985

Following more than a year-long process, Netflix is moving forward with superhero family drama Raising Dion.

Based on the short film and comic book of the same name from commercial/music video director Dennis Liu, the 10-episode drama is about an African-American single mother who discovers her young son has multiple and constantly changing abilities.

The series follows single mother Nicole Reese, who raises her son Dion after the death of her husband Mark (Michael B. Jordan). The normal dramas of raising a son as a single mom are amplified when Dion starts to manifest several magical, superhero-like abilities. Nicole must now keep her son’s gifts secret with the help of Mark’s best friend Pat, and protect Dion from antagonists out to exploit him while figuring out the origin of his abilities.

Michael B. Jordan is attached to exec produce and appear in the series. Carol Barbee (Unreal, Judging Amy), who penned the pilot, will serve as showrunner and exec produce. Liu will exec produce and direct the pilot. Jordan exec produces via his Outlier Society Productions banner. Macro's Charles D. King, Kim Roth and Poppy Hanks will exec produce alongside Kenny Goodman and Michael Green (Logan, American Gods). The series is produced in-house at Netflix and comes as the streamer continues to make a push for ownership. The streaming giant will distribute the series in more than 190 countries around the world. A premiere date has not yet been determined.

“I started this project many years ago because I wanted to see more diverse representation on film and television and I'm excited to partner with Netflix, who I know shares that commitment," Liu said. "More than ever, we need more stories told from different points of view and my hope with Raising Dion is to create a cinematic experience for all families that will lift your spirits and make you laugh and cry."

Added Cindy Holland, vp originals at Netflix: "We haven’t seen this type of superhero story before — an origin myth full of imagination, wonder and adventure, all grounded in the experiences of a modern single mother. Michael B. Jordan is an exciting and dynamic talent, and I’m excited to see him, Macro, Carol and the team translate Dennis’ unique vision to television."

Rumblings about Raising Dion first surfaced in April 2016, with Liu and a different producing team attached and a series pickup pending pilot script approval. As of last October, Judy McCreary (Law & Order: SVU) was initially attached as showrunner. However, when'80s sci-fi drama Stranger Things — featuring Millie Bobby Brown's kid-with-powers character Eleven — hit, a decision was made to retool Raising Dion to avoid any potential overlap with Netflix's breakout hit. McCreary then exited and Barbee — who briefly ran Lifetime's Unreal — was brought in to rework it. Following a short writers' room hiatus, the drama was back on track as of November 2016. Jordan joined at the start of 2017. Casting started in February, though Jordan remains the only on-screen actor set to appear in the series.

Raising Dion comes as Netflix has found success with its Marvel partnership. The comic book powerhouse has delivered a slate of superheroes including Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, miniseries The Defenders as well as the upcoming Punisher.

For Jordan, meanwhile, the Creed actor has continued to push into producing for the small screen. The actor has an overall deal at Skydance Television (though Raising Dion is outside of that pact) and has developed multiple projects. This is first series pickup as an EP. His TV acting roles include Parenthood, Friday Night Lights and The Wire. He next appears in HBO's Fahrenheit 451 TV movie, which he also exec produces. On the big screen, his roles include Marvel-inspired feature Fantastic Four. He's repped by WME, MGMT Entertainment and Bloom Hergott. Barbee is with WME and Hansen Jacobson.

I wasn't aware of this short. It looked really good but I found the Netflix series to be a huge disappointment. It sucked to me and the kid playing Dion even looks like my grandson...still couldn't watch. :smh:

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
That school incident just about pissed me off, every Black parent's fear.
One thing that made me mad was that the mom didn't say "so what's his punishment for stealing?"

I forgot, did he get detention too?

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm of mixed opinion about this show. I wish they had picked a more seasoned actress to play the mom. She played the single mom part fairly well, but the writing had her acting inconsistently at times and her performance wasn't up to that challenge IMO.

Was it ever explained why they had to move at the beginning? The Dad had been dead for several years at the beginning so why was she JUST NOW struggling to keep a job and deal with her son.

I thought the kid was fine. I've seen precocious 8 year olds act the same way. He was like any hyper kid I've seen many times before. Could easily be on Disney channel show. FWIW, I didn't see the switch coming with the CAC mentor, but once it happened I was actually disappointed. Made resolution way to simple.

The other white lady with powers. Once again, the writers make her character one way initially, then have her switch up and put herself at risk for what reason?

The whole kids get sick, so he has to go hospital and get aunt fired sequence, made no sense to me. What purpose did it serve other than to reveal that he had limits to his powers (and his Aunt was gay/bi?) . I feel like they could have handled that a lot better.

I was expecting something closer to Heroes, but I feel like I got an extended episode of Fringe or X-files. Hope it gets better.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
One thing that made me mad was that the mom didn't say "so what's his punishment for stealing?"

I forgot, did he get detention too?

No the white boy got no punishment

However the mother DID say why is my son the ONLY one getting punished when it was CLEARLY stated by the kid himself that he stole the watch.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wasn't aware of this short. It looked really good but I found the Netflix series to be a huge disappointment. It sucked to me and the kid playing Dion even looks like my grandson...still couldn't watch. :smh:

The first couple of episodes were a chore to get through, but it gets better.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
The first couple of episodes were a chore to get through, but it gets better.
I watched more than half the season. It's too White and too docile or something. It was written to cross over and to appease IMO.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I watched more than half the season. It's too White and too docile or something. It was written to cross over and to appease IMO.

Funny you say that because I saw some folks on reddit complaining the show was "racist against white people." :rolleyes:
The scene with the principle triggered them for some reason. I imagine way the season wraps up was too much for them as well. :giggle:

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Funny you say that because I saw some folks on reddit complaining the show was "racist against white people." :rolleyes:
The scene with the principle triggered them for some reason. I imagine way the season wraps up was too much for them as well. :giggle:
Well now...maybe I need to finish what I started then. :bravo::cheers:

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I tried to finish the series today... :smh: :smh::smh: I couldn't take it. It might be a good watch for my grandsons but DAMN!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It's a good show for what it's worth. Lil dude is a model so this is like his...third acting gig? First as lead? You do see a progression with him as the episodes go on.

What you think it is...is exactly what it is...

Season two set up looks like it has way more potential.

now that is actually a very fair review