Movie News: New G.I. Joe Spinoff @ Paramount, Snake Eyes solo Update: New GI Joe Transformers Universe w/ Chris Hemsworth!

theteacher

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We need more villain movies...

Thanos and Bright Burn,
made the bad guys look good.
I'm tired of happy heroic endings.
Worn't hurt if the bad guy(s)/girl(s) win here and there!​

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This should be the easiest movie to make there is so much content available. GI Joe could be done like the Avengers, full on movie with solo projects. Just bring in Serpentor the right way. Need the Russo brothers or Joss Whedon.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Man I remember the cartoon had a cool back story. That cartoon was pretty raw if they can’t make it better than that then they don’t need to do it.
I recommend reading these issues

82158.jpg

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Henry Golding in talks to star in G.I. Joe spin-off Snake Eyes

By Nick Romano
August 14, 2019 at 01:36 PM EDT
FBTwitter

JEFF KRAVITZ/FILMMAGIC; IDW
Dreams of Henry Golding playing a new iteration of Agent 007 may just be that, dreams, but the actor is on his way to joining a different action franchise.

Golding, who starred in Crazy Rich Asians and A Simple Favor, is in negotiations to take the lead in G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes, an upcoming spin-off for Paramount and Hasbro’s G.I. movie franchise, EW has learned.

Robert Schwentke — who directed RED, installments of the Divergent films, and, more recently, The Captain — will helm Snake Eyes with Beauty and the Beastand Charlie’s Angels reboot screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos on script duties.

Snake Eyes was portrayed by Ray Park, the guy behind Darth Maul in Star Wars: Episode I, in both 2009’s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and 2013’s G.I. Joe: Retaliation. The character, a trained ninja commando, never revealed his face with his all-black suit and never really spoke. (It seems like a crime to hide Golding’s face from his adoring public, so hopefully that will change.) Throughout G.I. Joe canon, Snake Eyes sometimes embarked on missions with Timber, his pet wolf, while Storm Shadow, another ninja, was his nemesis.

Produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura for Hasbro, the new film hails from Paramount Pictures and Allspark Pictures in association with Skydance.

In 2016, Paramount revealed its writers room to create a “cross-property interconnected on-screen universe” featuring brands like G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand), and ROM. The Transformers franchise gained new life in 2018 with Bumblebee.

Golding will next appear in The Last Christmas opposite Emilia Clarke and the action-comedy The Gentleman with Matthew McConaughey.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Henry Golding in talks to star in G.I. Joe spin-off Snake Eyes

By Nick Romano
August 14, 2019 at 01:36 PM EDT
FBTwitter

JEFF KRAVITZ/FILMMAGIC; IDW
Dreams of Henry Golding playing a new iteration of Agent 007 may just be that, dreams, but the actor is on his way to joining a different action franchise.

Golding, who starred in Crazy Rich Asians and A Simple Favor, is in negotiations to take the lead in G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes, an upcoming spin-off for Paramount and Hasbro’s G.I. movie franchise, EW has learned.

Robert Schwentke — who directed RED, installments of the Divergent films, and, more recently, The Captain — will helm Snake Eyes with Beauty and the Beastand Charlie’s Angels reboot screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos on script duties.

Snake Eyes was portrayed by Ray Park, the guy behind Darth Maul in Star Wars: Episode I, in both 2009’s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and 2013’s G.I. Joe: Retaliation. The character, a trained ninja commando, never revealed his face with his all-black suit and never really spoke. (It seems like a crime to hide Golding’s face from his adoring public, so hopefully that will change.) Throughout G.I. Joe canon, Snake Eyes sometimes embarked on missions with Timber, his pet wolf, while Storm Shadow, another ninja, was his nemesis.

Produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura for Hasbro, the new film hails from Paramount Pictures and Allspark Pictures in association with Skydance.

In 2016, Paramount revealed its writers room to create a “cross-property interconnected on-screen universe” featuring brands like G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand), and ROM. The Transformers franchise gained new life in 2018 with Bumblebee.

Golding will next appear in The Last Christmas opposite Emilia Clarke and the action-comedy The Gentleman with Matthew McConaughey.

Should be Storm Shadow instead..

And if the Dreadnoks are in this get Emilia for Zarana

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Snake Eyes star Henry Golding points to samurai film influences on character-driven story

The actor believes they've achieved "something fresh and new" with the G.I. Joe spin-off.
By Nick Romano
November 05, 2020 at 02:11 PM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:13
04:21

Share:A to Z with 'The Gentlemen's Matthew McConaughey, Henry Golding & Michelle Dockery
Direct Link

Henry Golding found himself back in a movie theater in August. The 300-seat screening room was on the Paramount Lot in Los Angeles, though he was one of maybe four people in attendance. That day's matinee? A cut of Snake Eyes, the new G.I. Joe spin-off centered on the masked ninja commando. "We had our own corners of the cinema because you need to go through the processes," Golding says. "You need to see it and test it and get a reaction and notes from everybody."
Golding's reaction? The actor, who stars in the title role, tweeted at the time, "Holy hell. This is the exact opposite of the cookie cutter, super people movies. Wow. You guys are in for something insane, I can't wait for you all to get your [mitts] on this beast. Yowzers!!!! Literally grinning from ear to ear."
Over the course of a phone conversation with EW about his upcoming film Monsoon, the actor elaborated. "I think the heart of the story really is who Snake is and his journey as a person, really. Understanding his motivations," he says. Compared to other hero-centric blockbusters we've seen, Golding adds, "I can't give away too much, but it really focuses on the one person instead of having 20 people on screen and understanding background. We start from the beginning. And, hopefully, this launches an amazing franchise."

CREDIT: HENRY GOLDING/INSTAGRAM
Ray Park portrayed the G.I. Joe character in 2009's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and 2013's G.I. Joe: Retaliation. Paramount hopes to start a new era of G.I. Joe movies with Snake Eyes, directed by Robert Schwentke. The commando's history and real name are classified information in the canon of G.I. Joe. In Snake Eyes, Golding's iteration unveils those origins in a movie shot in and inspired by Japan.
"Robert is a huge Japanese cinephile, everything from [Akira] Kurosawa to just the phenomenal Spaghetti Westerns of samurai movies," Golding comments. "He is so hooked into that history and we see some of those scenes. With some of the fight scenes there are some chimbara sequences." Meaning, Japanese sword-fighting. "A lot of attention to cultural detail was put into this movie. There are not a lot of movies that are allowed to film in Japan and we went to some amazing, amazing places. The authenticity is there."

Snake Eyes — also featuring Samara Weaving (Ready or Not), Iko Uwais (The Raid movies), Andrew Koji (Cinemax’s Warrior), Úrsula Corberó (Netflix’s Money Heist), Haruka Abe (47 Ronin), and Takehiro Hira (Girl/Haji) — was once set to release in theaters in October. That, obviously, didn't happen. Golding finished filming in February, mere weeks before the U.S. went into lockdown.
"It's always odd coming off of big productions," he reflects. "I was on Snake Eyes for like six months. We were in Vancouver previous to Japan. My wife [Liv Lo] comes out and she spends a long time with us wherever I am. Going from 100 miles an hour to a complete still, dead stop, it is pretty jarring. But we've actually really been enjoying exploring California."
Golding is still excited for people to see the film, which got the new release date of Oct. 22, 2021. "All the producers at Paramount really listened to my opinion, the opinion of others, and I think that's why it's going to be so special," he says. "It's definitely been a challenge in creating something fresh and new, but I think we definitely achieved it."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Snake Eyes star Henry Golding reveals first look at G.I. Joe spin-off

By Nick Romano
February 05, 2020 at 12:24 PM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:15
00:15

Share:'Last Christmas' Star Henry Golding Reveals Just How Romantic He Is
Direct Link

Henry Golding rolled the dice and they came up Snake Eyes.
With filming on Hollywood’s G.I. Joe spin-off already going on in Japan, Golding, taking the title role in the production, revealed the first look on Wednesday. Consider it a birthday gift from him to you.
“Because its my birthday today and I’m playing Snake Eyes… Here’s your first look,” he wrote on Instagram.
The image isn’t that revealing: it’s a black-and-white shot of Golding from behind. Sword dangling across his belt, the mask-less ninja commando slowly makes his way up the stone steps to the temple spotted above. Director Robert Schwentke (RED, Insurgent) promised to infuse this film with elements from Japense cinema, and the photo invokes the atmosphere of classic samurai movies.

“I’ve been a lifelong fan of Japanese cinema. It’s my favorite national cinema,” Schwentke said as the cast gathered in Japan for a traditional ceremony to bless the start of production in January.
The filmmaker specifically mentioned chanbara (Japanese sword-fighting movies), “a lot of car action,” Yakuza, and “some ningyo ideas” (fish-like creatures from Japanese folklore) that will influence Snake Eyes. “We’re playing around with a lot of ideas that are very specifically Japanese and we’re trying to get them right,” he said. “I think that will make this film very, very special.”
Ray Park portrayed Snake Eyes in 2009’s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and 2013’s G.I. Joe: Retaliation, but Golding says Paramount and Hasbro are “starting a new timeline, a new franchise with the G.I. Joe universe,” starting with Snake Eyes.
CREDIT: CHRISTOPHER JUE/GETTY IMAGES
“For us to never really see what is beneath the mask, it always missed something,” he explained of his character, who’s rarely depicted without his mask. “Snake Eyes was always seen as a weapon, as almost an inanimate object. But when you get to see someone’s eyes, you get to see their past, you get to see their future, you get their personality behind that. And so, we throw it back right to the beginning and see how he progresses and how he develops into this most amazing character.”

Also starring in Snake Eyes are Samara Weaving (Ready or Not), Iko Uwais (The Raid movies), Andrew Koji (Cinemax’s Warrior), Úrsula Corberó (Netflix’s Money Heist), Haruka Abe (47 Ronin), and Takehiro Hira (Girl/Haji).
The film is set for theaters on Oct. 23.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
G.I. Joe Is Getting A Streaming TV Show Based On A Specific Character
PUBLISHED: FEB. 26. 2021 9:55 AM

6c3a25220d4132c5bf37c340ee2b2fa3df3287b0.jpg

Available On Amazon Prime30-Day Free Trial×

In the era of reboots and revivals, some beloved intellectual properties and franchises are getting reimagined for a new generation of viewers. Some reimaginations are taking characters from a 2D animated world into the real one. The G.I. Joe franchise is coming to streaming but with a live-action twist and less team-oriented. A G.I. Joe vet is getting a solo shot with a streaming television series.

According to Deadline, G.I. Joe undercover operative Lady Jaye is getting her streaming television series. The live-action series is currently in development at Amazon. It will be a standalone story centered around the beloved operative but connected to the larger G.I. Joe universe. As the series is currently in development, there has been no casting news, production start or release date announced at this time.

With the Lady Jaye-centric live-action series being under Amazon Studios, Carnival Row’s Erik Oleson will serve as the creator and showrunner. At the same time, he will act as an executive producer alongside Lorenzo DiBonaventura. While Prime Video will be the home of the upcoming series, Paramount Television Studios, eOne and Skydance Television will work together to produce it.

The last time Lady Jaye was seen on-screen was in the 2013 G.I. Joe sequel G.I. Joe: Retaliation. In the film, Orville’s Adrianne Palicki portrayed the character in a supporting role. The character first appeared in the 1985 animated series and became immensely popular. Her popularity on the iconic series led to her becoming an integral part of the G.I. Joe universe. She was turned into an action figure and incorporated into various iterations of the ongoing comic book series.

To put things in perspective, the original Sunbow-produced G.I. Joe animated series ran for two seasons spanning from 1985 to 1986. Since her introduction, Lady Jaye has appeared in a multitude of G.I. Joe-centric animated series and films with her last appearance being the Hub animated series G.I. Joe: Renegades. This incarnation was portrayed as a Latina compared to her traditional portrayal as a brunette white woman.

Lady Jaye isn’t the only G.I. Joe character to get a live-action adaptation. Another beloved character Snake Eyes is being played by Crazy Rich Asian’s Henry Golding in a solo film set to arrive on Oct. 22, 2021. Between these two projects, G.I. Joe appears to be gearing up for a major comeback. Bringing Lady Jaye to the small screen for a standalone story proves just how popular and important the character continues to be after her introduction several decades ago. What’s even more important is the male-centric media franchise putting its support behind a female-centric story. It’s nice to see one of the franchise’s most beloved female characters get her time to shine.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@ViCiouS

they making a Lady Jaye seines bro...

Lady Jaye?

WTF they thinking?

I could see Scarlett cause that links Duke snake Eyes Baroness all together...

but THIS?

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
G.I. Joe Is Getting A Streaming TV Show Based On A Specific Character
PUBLISHED: FEB. 26. 2021 9:55 AM

6c3a25220d4132c5bf37c340ee2b2fa3df3287b0.jpg

Available On Amazon Prime30-Day Free Trial×

In the era of reboots and revivals, some beloved intellectual properties and franchises are getting reimagined for a new generation of viewers. Some reimaginations are taking characters from a 2D animated world into the real one. The G.I. Joe franchise is coming to streaming but with a live-action twist and less team-oriented. A G.I. Joe vet is getting a solo shot with a streaming television series.

According to Deadline, G.I. Joe undercover operative Lady Jaye is getting her streaming television series. The live-action series is currently in development at Amazon. It will be a standalone story centered around the beloved operative but connected to the larger G.I. Joe universe. As the series is currently in development, there has been no casting news, production start or release date announced at this time.

With the Lady Jaye-centric live-action series being under Amazon Studios, Carnival Row’s Erik Oleson will serve as the creator and showrunner. At the same time, he will act as an executive producer alongside Lorenzo DiBonaventura. While Prime Video will be the home of the upcoming series, Paramount Television Studios, eOne and Skydance Television will work together to produce it.

The last time Lady Jaye was seen on-screen was in the 2013 G.I. Joe sequel G.I. Joe: Retaliation. In the film, Orville’s Adrianne Palicki portrayed the character in a supporting role. The character first appeared in the 1985 animated series and became immensely popular. Her popularity on the iconic series led to her becoming an integral part of the G.I. Joe universe. She was turned into an action figure and incorporated into various iterations of the ongoing comic book series.

To put things in perspective, the original Sunbow-produced G.I. Joe animated series ran for two seasons spanning from 1985 to 1986. Since her introduction, Lady Jaye has appeared in a multitude of G.I. Joe-centric animated series and films with her last appearance being the Hub animated series G.I. Joe: Renegades. This incarnation was portrayed as a Latina compared to her traditional portrayal as a brunette white woman.

Lady Jaye isn’t the only G.I. Joe character to get a live-action adaptation. Another beloved character Snake Eyes is being played by Crazy Rich Asian’s Henry Golding in a solo film set to arrive on Oct. 22, 2021. Between these two projects, G.I. Joe appears to be gearing up for a major comeback. Bringing Lady Jaye to the small screen for a standalone story proves just how popular and important the character continues to be after her introduction several decades ago. What’s even more important is the male-centric media franchise putting its support behind a female-centric story. It’s nice to see one of the franchise’s most beloved female characters get her time to shine.

@ViCiouS

they making a Lady Jaye seines bro...

Lady Jaye?

WTF they thinking?

I could see Scarlett cause that links Duke snake Eyes Baroness all together...

but THIS?
If they get Adrienne back theyd have to wait and see what happens with The Orville..

and how hard is it for there to be a GI Joe series where each episode focuses on a specific squad of Joes :smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Henry Golding's Snake Eyes revealed in new movie-accurate Hasbro toys

See a "teeny tiny" look at Golding's Snake Eyes costume for the movie.
By Nick Romano
April 09, 2021 at 01:25 PM EDT

A fresh look at Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins has finally arrived ahead of the new release date for Henry Golding's big action movie, but it's not exactly the first look fans might be expecting.

EW can exclusively reveal Hasbro's upcoming G.I. Joe Classified Series toy line inspired by the Snake Eyes film. Golding appeared during the company's Hasbro Pulse Fan Fest panel on Friday to unbox his own action figure that reveals the title character's movie-accurate costume (as shown in the video above).

"Holy moly! That's my face!" Golding exclaims in reaction to himself in action-figure form. "It's even got the beard there, too."

G.I. Joe Snake Eyes figure.

| CREDIT: HASBRO
Beyond a behind-the-scenes shot of Golding in character, with his back turned to the camera, Paramount Pictures hasn't released any images or trailers for Snake Eyes. The actor now prefaces that this toy line offers "a little teeny tiny glimpse into what we created" for the movie.
G.I. Joe Snake Eyes figure.

The six-inch-tall Snake Eyes G.I. Joe Classified Series figure, retailing at $19.99, comes with Morning Light, the character's new sword.

"The story behind that [sword] will be told in the movie," Golding promises. He also points to the classic Arashikage symbol on the figure's arm, which is the insignia for the Arashikage ninja clan in Japan to which Snake Eyes belongs.
The real costume used for Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins, Golding said with a whistle, will have fans "frothing at the mouth."
G.I. Joe Storm Shadow figure.

G.I. Joe Storm Shadow figure.

The G.I. Joe Classified Series also features figures based on the film's depictions of Andrew Koji as Snake Eyes rival Storm Shadow, Úrsula Corberó as Cobra intelligence officer the Baroness, Samara Weaving as classic G.I. Joe character Scarlett, and Haruka Abe as Akiko. Each figure retails for $19.99 and stand at six inches.

Divergent series filmmaker Robert Schwentke directs Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins, which, as the name suggests, offers an origin story to the sword-swinging martial artist known as Snake Eyes. The character is typically never seen without his helmet, but the figure suggests we'll be seeing a lot of Golding in and out of his signature helmet.
G.I. Joe Scarlett figure.

G.I. Joe Scarlett and Baroness figures.

"I think the heart of the story really is who Snake is and his journey as a person, really. Understanding his motivations," Golding previously told EW. "I can't give away too much, but it really focuses on the one person instead of having 20 people on screen and understanding background. We start from the beginning. And, hopefully, this launches an amazing franchise."
The G.I. Joe Classified Series seeks to capture the detail and "pulse-pounding excitement" of the film, which takes inspiration from Japanese samurai movies.

G.I. Joe Baroness figure.

G.I. Joe Baroness figure.

Also featured in the cast but not seen in the new figures are Iko Uwais as Hard Master, Peter Mensah as Blind Master, and Takehiro Hira as Kenta.
"For us to never really see what is beneath the mask, it always missed something," Golding has said. "Snake Eyes was always seen as a weapon, as almost an inanimate object. But when you get to see someone's eyes, you get to see their past, you get to see their future, you get their personality behind that. And so, we throw it back right to the beginning and see how he progresses and how he develops into this most amazing character."

G.I. Joe Akiko figure.

G.I. Joe Akiko figure.

After a series of delays prompted by the COVID-19 pandemic, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins is now slated to hit theaters July 23

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
holy f*ck

Are these original gi joe sized figures? WTF!!!!

they have REAL clothes?

how much is THAT?!?!?