Movie News: New G.I. Joe Spinoff @ Paramount, Snake Eyes solo Update: New GI Joe Transformers Universe w/ Chris Hemsworth!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Old or Snake Eyes: Which film took No. 1 at the weekend box office

Find out which only-in-theaters film took gold.
By Jolie Lash
July 25, 2021 at 06:45 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:34
01:48

Old, the latest film from director M. Night Shyamalan, is the newest box office No. 1. It took the top slot over the weekend with three-day receipts totaling $16.5 million.
While the film landed the No. 1 spot, it netted significantly smaller box office numbers than Black Widow, which earlier this month set a pandemic era record with an $87 million opening. The big difference, though, is Old was only available in theaters, while Black Widow benefitted from $60 million of its week 1 takings via Disney+ with premiere access. Old also wasn't part of a massive comic book franchise.
"Horror movies have been sort of the go-to genre, really, even throughout the entire pandemic," Comscore Senior Media Analyst Paul Dergarabedian told EW on Sunday, noting Shyamalan's last two films with Universal — Split and Glass, both also debuted at No. 1.
Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins, another only-in-theaters release, took second with $13.35 million.
Gael Garcia Bernal and Alex Wolff in 'Old'; Henry Golding in 'Snake Eyes'

| CREDIT: UNIVERSAL PICTURES; PARAMOUNT PICTURES
Both films saw mixed reviews from critics (a 52 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes for Shyamalan's film on Sunday afternoon, and 42 percent for Snake Eyes). They were also released during the Olympics, and as parts of the U.S. experienced an uptick in COVID-19 cases, with mask mandates back in effect in cities like Los Angeles.

"Right now, the external forces on the entire marketplace, in terms of any brick and mortar business, are being brought to bear," Dergarabedian told EW. "I think there was a lot more optimism and consumer confidence just a few weeks ago.
"I think we have to look at this as a marketplace that is still evolving — and not so much from the movie release perspective because these movies have been pretty much set on these release dates for a while… but to just show how unpredictable this marketplace is," Dergarabedian continued. "The way that audiences feel about attending any outside the home activity right now is changing every day."
Scarlett Johansson's presumed Marvel swan song as Natasha Romanoff, Black Widow, took the third spot over the weekend with $11.6 million, while last week's No. 1, Space Jam: A New Legacy, fell to fourth, bringing in just $9.5 million. F9 switched into a lower gear, parking at No. 5 with around $4.7 million in takings.
Rounding out the top 10 were Escape Room: Tournament of Champions ($3.4 million), Boss Baby: The Family Business ($2.7 million), The Forever Purge ($2.3 million), A Quiet Place Part II ($1.25 million), and Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain ($830K).

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Movie was awful man! Seriously! It should have been released on YouTube or something. Maybe Hulu. :smh: I mean it went nowhere and was a travesty of aligning itself with GI Joe. No flow to plot, weakass acting…..terrible!!!

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They need to put a REAL fan in charge of this who has the fucking heart to do right by this shit. Consult with the Cobra Kai folks on how to do an 80s reboot for both old and new audiences.
Raid redemption is the closest thing you gonna get to a gi joe live action movie… of course it’s not gi joe and a foreigner made it

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They need to put a REAL fan in charge of this who has the fucking heart to do right by this shit. Consult with the Cobra Kai folks on how to do an 80s reboot for both old and new audiences.

You know you could be the biggest fan in the world and still completely f*ck a project of this magnitude up right?

No one goes in to a project wanting to fail.

It's hard as hell to do these.

Ok now that I got my mandatory creative, defense off.

I hear you

I appreciate the ambition with this I SEE what they were TRYING to do.

And it was NOT the wrong take. They WANTED a Winter Soldier The Raid Infernal Affairs John Wick Crouching Tiger John Woo combo.

But if you WANT that?

Hire THOSE directors and writers and editors.

because the set design costumes and locations and cinematography was excellent. Seriously.

I don't know if the lead actor was right though.

but the main thing to me as with MOST action films?

The editing and fight choreography.

The ENTIRE premise of this movie should have been built around THAT.

You cannot spend THAT much money and the fights be chopped the f*ck up like that.

That's unforgivable.

Now I don't know if you need to hire a GI JOE fan to get that right.

But you HAVE to get that right.

period.

I'll finish this over the weekend and give my final thoughts then.