MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

3.5/10

Me and my sons watched this last night while I was home while eating dinner.

Not gonna go into it being in probably the last person on the forum who has seen it.

The film looks to have picked up with Godzilla after the AppleTV series with them mentioning Mecha-Godzilla a few times. With Kong, it looks to pick up after the events of the last film with these two.

Nothing original with the story that has been used in past Sci-Fi monster films.

The films main characters all fit the usual stereotypical type characters that have been overused in Hollywood Sci-Fi films.

• Somewhat attractive single White Woman who is intelligent.

• White Guy who is intelligent and so cool, he runs around like a rebel wearing Hawaiian shirts, sunglasses and playing classic rock.

• Black guy who is a nerd and scared of his own shadow.

Not a film worth going to the theater too see. It comes off like a Netflix film in its presentation.

Overall, it’s mindless entertainment and falls in the category of “Watch It one Time, No Interest In Seeing It Again”.

I’m not sure what they are planning to do with the franchise, hoping they do something extraordinary cuz right now it’s headed on a downward slope.

Synopsis

Godzilla and the almighty Kong face a colossal threat hidden deep within the planet, challenging their very existence and the survival of the human race.

MV5BY2QwOGE2NGQtMWQwNi00M2IzLThlNWItYWMzNGQ5YWNiZDA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Twisters

Windy & Woeful

PRAISE: I still remember attempting to see the original 1996 Twister on its opening weekend and that it was sold out in a couple of theaters. Not sure if this sequel will have the same draw but it has a few things going for it as we are introduced to Daisy Edgar-Jones’ as Kate,a tornado chasing scientist from Oklahoma,and Tyler (another charm filled performance from Glen Powell)and his team of famous Youtube posting of tornado chases,but hey they have hearts of gold. Kate is already off balance due to a traumatic tango with a twister and this plays out well in a few scenes. Definitely some good chemistry between the characters as they try to one up each other before they partner up.
The CGI,Sound and action sequences are on point and I'm glad I watched it in IMAX.

PROBLEMS: Aside from the two main characters I didn't really care about the dozen or so other characters who just get hyped over Twister chasing and yell out things about when and where the tornadoes will set themselves up. I never got to really know any of them. There are long moments when not much happens. It's definitely predictable in some spot and I knew exactly who were going to be taking out by several twisters. I kept waiting for a connection between the films and I actually laughed at the way a scene was filmed when I thought a big reveal was going to happen. I think it will be funny if in 10 years someone else makes a twister movie and the characters yell We are going to stop these things !!

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Lumina

LAME !!

Before watching this dumpster fire I read an article about it and someone said it's right up there with one of the worst movies ever Birdemic. Well this I had to see ,how could it be? The person was right because the only difference is that this flick has a slightly bigger budget.
I was introduced to several obnoxious characters including Alex (Rupert Lazarus) Tatiana (Eleanor Williams) Delilah (Andrea Tivador) and Patricia (Sidney Nicole Rogers) who is at least beautiful and busty but vapes to much but boy can she drop the tears ,with snot hangs and cry laugh on cue.
I was trying to figure out the dynamics between Alex,Tatiana and Delilah because Alex does sonic screams for both of them as they are drawn into some type of alien invasion drama and he comes on to one of the ladies and then hes off to fool around with the other. Eric Roberts shows up looking like Darkman but without the burns and bandages.Oh can't forget George (Ken Lawson) he is supposed to provide comic relief but doesn't but i got on board with him lusting over Patricia.Fight sequences are horribly choreographed and the CGI looks like someone who got kicked out off assisting making the Resident Evil movies made it. Tons of unintentional laughs especially as the climax,final shot and fake Michael Jackson sounding song plays at the end.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 2½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

6/10

Me and my sons watched the first of the trilogy last month (I reviewed earlier) and watched this last night while eating dinner on MAX.

Without going into the details, it’s a slow burn compared to the first film. Lots of talking and minimal action.

VFX/SFX look good, except when we see the Dragon Smaug in motion where it looks in some scenes as if it’s still in pre-production stages. The dragon still looks good and holds up to what you will see in MAX’s “House of Dragons”

As with all the Hobbit films, scenery and set designs are top notch. MAX has these films in 4K UHD which enhances it.

Being it’s a slow burn, the film is mainly setting it for the trilogy’s finale which should kick it up in action.

For the Thirsty, Evangeline Lilly debuts, she was in her prime in this film.

We will should have the 3rd film knocked out within a month.

Synopsis

The dwarves, along with Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the Grey, continue their quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain, their homeland, from the dragon Smaug.

MV5BMzU0NDY0NDEzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTIxNDU1MDE@._V1_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Land of Bad

5/10

This film had a quick theatrical debut, then went straight to PPV.

It’s put out by Paramount and they had it on their service for a few days last month and pulled it off before I could see it.

They put it back on PPV, then out of nowhere Netflix got their paws on it. I suspect Netflix grabbed it to promote Liam Hemsworth being he is the new Witcher. Two of the Hemsworth Bros. co-Star in this.

Anyway, I watched it this afternoon at home. It’s a military action adventure drama. It’s full of action with gun fights, explosions and fist fighting.

Nothing original with the plot being it has been done a number of times since the 1970s.

It’s Hollywood, so a lot of military inaccuracies, especially with Russell Crowe’s Fat Ass as an Air Force Drone Pilot. His origin is explained on why he is where he is in this film.

It’s an entertaining film to watch.

Synopsis

When a Delta Force team is ambushed in enemy territory, a rookie officer refuses to abandon them. Their only hope lies with an Air Force drone pilot as the eyes in the sky during a brutal 48-hour battle for survival.

MV5BMzkyOTUzYTUtY2UzYS00MjY4LTljZWYtYzMyMmZlMWYwMjQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Along Came the Devil

4/10

I watched this one this afternoon at home on Hulu.

I mainly watched it cuz the trailer looked interesting and Sydney Sweeney starred in it.

Not much to tell but that it plays out like your standard demonic flick. It has its usual, predictable jump scares. The premise somewhat plays out similarly to the 1970s “The Exorcist” but with better VFX/SFX with the demonic stuff.

It’s a very slow burn film, it doesn’t pick up until the last 15 minutes.

The ending was not predictable and left it off for a potential sequel.

Synopsis

After a troubled childhood, Ashley searches for a connection and unknowingly becomes connected to a demonic force.

MV5BNGM0ODUxNmItZDBlZi00YmUyLThhODUtYTEwOTg2ZTMzMjBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Best-Zombie-Movies.png

Shark-Movies.png

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Checked this movie out on Monday night. Thought it was pretty good. Felt gritty and real given the scenarios and intensity of the job.

What worked really well in the movie's favor is that the co-leads' chemistry didn't feel forced. Plus the individuals playing patients / civilians felt authentic. Felt like real people in medical emergencies.

Asphalt City (originally titled and released in some countries as Black Flies) is a 2023 American thriller drama film directed by Jean-Stéphane Sauvaire and written by Ryan King and Ben Mac Brown, based on the 2008 novel Black Flies by Shannon Burke. It stars Sean Penn and Tye Sheridan as paramedics working in New York City. Gbenga Akinnagbe, Raquel Nave, Kali Reis, Michael Pitt, Katherine Waterston, and Mike Tyson appear in supporting roles.

The film explores the effects of psychological trauma experienced by first responders. It premiered at the 76th Cannes Film Festival on May 18, 2023. It was released theatrically by Roadside Attractions and Vertical on March 29, 2024.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Checked out The Dead Don't Hurt last night.

It's a slower burn movie, but I found it effective in its storytelling.

The movie was filmed between October - December 2022 in Ontario & B.C., Canada, as well as Durango, Mexico ... so visually it was great to look at with plenty of outdoor shots and natural lighting. I liked seeing the remote nature of the home & how the exterior vegetation was built up over time. The kid was believable in that he wasn't overbearing or precocious. He was often quietly observing the goings on around him. The relationship at the core of the movie felt genuine. The villain was effective in being a piece of shit, etc.

The Dead Don't Hurt is a 2023 Western film written, directed, and produced by Viggo Mortensen, and starring Mortensen, Vicky Krieps, Solly McLeod, Garret Dillahunt, Colin Morgan, Ray McKinnon, Luke Reilly, Atlas Green, and Danny Huston. Mortensen also composed the score to the film.

The Dead Don't Hurt premiered at the 2023 Toronto International Film Festival on September 8, 2023.

On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 83% of 101 critics' reviews are positive, with an average rating of 7.2/10. The website's consensus reads: "A solid step forward for Viggo Mortensen as a director, The Dead Don't Hurt offers viewers a comfortably old-fashioned Western with a satisfying, character-driven story."[15] Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 70 out of 100, based on 23 critics, indicating "generally favorable" reviews.[16]

Peter Debruge of Variety wrote, "How many partners have attached themselves to someone else's dream, then had to adapt when it proves disappointing? Films rarely frame that experience from the woman's perspective, which makes Mortensen's enlightened approach fairly refreshing, even if Vivienne's independence manifests itself in a way that anyone can sense is bad news".[17]

Release dates
  • September 8, 2023 (TIFF)
  • May 31, 2024 (Canada/Mexico)
  • June 13, 2024 (Denmark)
Running time129 minutes[1]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk