MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Checked out The Dead Don't Hurt last night.

It's a slower burn movie, but I found it effective in its storytelling.

The movie was filmed between October - December 2022 in Ontario & B.C., Canada, as well as Durango, Mexico ... so visually it was great to look at with plenty of outdoor shots and natural lighting. I liked seeing the remote nature of the home & how the exterior vegetation was built up over time. The kid was believable in that he wasn't overbearing or precocious. He was often quietly observing the goings on around him. The relationship at the core of the movie felt genuine. The villain was effective in being a piece of shit, etc.

The Dead Don't Hurt is a 2023 Western film written, directed, and produced by Viggo Mortensen, and starring Mortensen, Vicky Krieps, Solly McLeod, Garret Dillahunt, Colin Morgan, Ray McKinnon, Luke Reilly, Atlas Green, and Danny Huston. Mortensen also composed the score to the film.

The Dead Don't Hurt premiered at the 2023 Toronto International Film Festival on September 8, 2023.

On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 83% of 101 critics' reviews are positive, with an average rating of 7.2/10. The website's consensus reads: "A solid step forward for Viggo Mortensen as a director, The Dead Don't Hurt offers viewers a comfortably old-fashioned Western with a satisfying, character-driven story."[15] Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 70 out of 100, based on 23 critics, indicating "generally favorable" reviews.[16]

Peter Debruge of Variety wrote, "How many partners have attached themselves to someone else's dream, then had to adapt when it proves disappointing? Films rarely frame that experience from the woman's perspective, which makes Mortensen's enlightened approach fairly refreshing, even if Vivienne's independence manifests itself in a way that anyone can sense is bad news".[17]

Release dates
  • September 8, 2023 (TIFF)
  • May 31, 2024 (Canada/Mexico)
  • June 13, 2024 (Denmark)
Running time129 minutes[1]

Only if you have a popup blocker.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

karna--kalki-and-karmic-connection-why-indian-filmmakers-lovemythology-200918322-16x9_0.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Checked this movie out on Monday night. Thought it was pretty good. Felt gritty and real given the scenarios and intensity of the job.

What worked really well in the movie's favor is that the co-leads' chemistry didn't feel forced. Plus the individuals playing patients / civilians felt authentic. Felt like real people in medical emergencies.

Asphalt City (originally titled and released in some countries as Black Flies) is a 2023 American thriller drama film directed by Jean-Stéphane Sauvaire and written by Ryan King and Ben Mac Brown, based on the 2008 novel Black Flies by Shannon Burke. It stars Sean Penn and Tye Sheridan as paramedics working in New York City. Gbenga Akinnagbe, Raquel Nave, Kali Reis, Michael Pitt, Katherine Waterston, and Mike Tyson appear in supporting roles.

The film explores the effects of psychological trauma experienced by first responders. It premiered at the 76th Cannes Film Festival on May 18, 2023. It was released theatrically by Roadside Attractions and Vertical on March 29, 2024.

Movie was triggering and gritty captured the true vibe of working under crazy conditions in NYC i enjoyed it scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
*ahem*

I told all yall who were saying the entire movie industry was dead and no one was going to the movies anymore to pump the breaks remember?

Yall seeing these box office numbers?

And how WRONG all these so called projections have been?

Listen to me now believe me later on.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
*ahem*

I told all yall who were saying the entire movie industry was dead and no one was going to the movies anymore to pump the breaks remember?

Yall seeing these box office numbers?

And how WRONG all these so called projections have been?

Listen to me now believe me later on.
examples?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

The Thicket | Official Trailer | A Tubi Original​

Where they getting all this money from?

Tubi, is focused on becoming a legitimate respected source of entertainment I see

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

Where they getting all this money from?

Tubi, is focused on becoming a legitimate respected source of entertainment I see
They're doing what CW, Fox, and countless other media organizations have done to build up their networks.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They're doing what CW, Fox, and countless other media organizations have done to build up their networks.

No one said different.

My point was they are improving their public image from punchline to respected brand in what seems to be almost overnight.

When they appeared at one point to be fine with perception of being a low rent brand.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Hit-Man-726x400.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Deadpool & Wolverine

Madcap Marvel

NO SPOILERS SPOILER FREE

PRAISE: Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman return to the roles they were born to play in this movie about the the Time Variance Authority (TVA) enlisting Deadpool to save the multiverse but he can't do it without Wolverine. I began to laugh during the movies first ten minutes and immediately knew I was going to have a good time. The movie is not only a tribute to everything Deadpool and Wolverine but also to Reynolds and Jackman. When I watched the first Spiderverse movie I said even if people are casual fans of Spider-Man they will find something to love about it the same can be said of this movie and it's two main characters. There were definitely situations and team ups I thought I would never see in a Marvel movie. It was fun watching characters be able to completely let loose in fight scenes on an R rated level. The film even manages to squeeze in some things about the current climate of world affairs. The jokes and nods to different genres of films and pop culture are almost as fast and fun as the action sequences. There is big time fan service but I really felt like it was earned,and i think the movie really didn't go overboard with it. The fourth wall was broken, smashed to bits until it was splinters of glass and I liked it.
The dramatic moments hit just the way they were supposed to I don't think they felt forced at all. I thought the villain
Emma Corrin’s Cassandra was just OK. So on the edge of being more memorable.

PROBLEMS: There are some moments that I felt were just to repetitive. I thought some lines of dialogue were kind of corny along with very weak delivery from a couple of actors. I thought more was going to be done with a couple of characters but they were just wallpaper.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8