Official 2024 NFL Discussion Week 2!!!

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
One thing working in his favor is all those WRs he has. WR 1-4 are solid. Romeo, Wicks, Watson, Reed. Even Bo Melton and Malik Health would
Play and contribute solid minute
... and all those WR are young. And Lefluer is a really good playcaller.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’m going to sound like a hater but just curious? How many Super Bowl victories and/or appearances do the top 7 highest paid QB’s have?:idea: I’m thinking 1 appearance and that’s Joe Burrow.
I’m going to sound like a hater but just curious? How many Super Bowl victories and/or appearances do the top 7 highest paid QB’s have?:idea: I’m thinking 1 appearance and that’s Joe Burrow.
More of a reason why you got to win a Super Bowl with a QB on their rookie contract.

Nowadays they will account about 20% of your salary cap.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We will probably see more of the Mahommes type contracts......10 years which allows the team to adjust the dollar amount given to QBs

Came across this video saying how do the Kansas City Chiefs afford Patrick Mahomes and all the talent around him with his $500M contract.

It is evident that the general public doesn’t realize how the cap hit structures work.

Mahomes contract is backloaded. In 2024, the Chiefs will have the 6th highest cap hit for a QB then jumps in subsequent years. It is cap manipulation. Guess #1? Deshaun Watson at $63.7M cap hit in 2024.

Mahomes will likely restructure again to keep winning, just like Tom Brady did. Wants to set his team up for success, just like Brady did - a lot of similarities.

A lot of misguided information on the internet, be careful what you listen to and do your own research or else you will truly never understand. The big cap hit years of Mahomes contract are 2025-2027.

We will see what happens and the Chiefs have a smart front office, they will restructure if they feel Chiefs are in win now mode (which they will be). And defer till later.

It’s a game of chess and the Kansas City Chiefs are quite good at it, just like the New England Patriots were during their dynasty.

Props to Brett Veach, Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes for their flexibility, allowing the Chiefs to continue dominance.

Examples of a few ways teams can manipulate cap room below:

- Restructuring contracts
Teams can convert a player's base salary into a signing bonus or roster bonus to create immediate cap relief. This frees up space to sign other players.

- Using void years
When a contract ends, usually at the start of free agency, the player is technically released and can sign with another team. However, the player doesn't count towards the team's compensatory picks for the year.

- Carrying over cap space
Teams can carry over up to 100% of their remaining cap space from one league year to the next by notifying the NFL before 4 PM EDT the day after their final regular-season game.

I will say that teams with huge quarterback cap hits generally win through great drafting (rookie contracts). The Kansas City Chiefs have been phenomenal at drafting. Look at their players on rookie contracts - been great.

Watch the video and read the graphics to truly understand.

Spot Rac and Over the Cap are good resources to visualize and deep dive into NFL cap room situations.

Lou_Kayge

Rising Star
Registered
So Is Lions black GM, Brad Holmes a coon, or just powerless over Dan Campbell. How does Holmes okay this? The timing and optics suck. As a Bears fan, I hope it tears the Lions locker room apart. :)

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
More of a reason why you got to win a Super Bowl with a QB on their rookie contract.

Nowadays they will account about 20% of your salary cap.
Yep. The reason why I say that is because I was reading an article on Brock Purdy and Niners. Basically the article was discussing whether the Niners should give Purdy a max extension OR keep the core intact. These QB’s are gonna be eating so much of the cap that they damn near will have to win the shit by themselves.

TIMEISMONEY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You’re right, my only complaint is other positions aren’t getting paid. Guys who are putting real grunt work, RBs. My son couldn’t tell me he’s playing RB in hs or college, wouldn’t be playing

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
So Is Lions black GM, Brad Holmes a coon, or just powerless over Dan Campbell. How does Holmes okay this? The timing and optics suck. As a Bears fan, I hope it tears the Lions locker room apart. :)

I saw that and :smh:

These dudes are in their 20's and didn't even grow up on Hulk Hogan

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

Dak

200w.gif

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
You’re right, my only complaint is other positions aren’t getting paid. Guys who are putting real grunt work, RBs. My son couldn’t tell me he’s playing RB in hs or college, wouldn’t be playing

Man!!! I know they’re professionals but I can’t imagine that there’s zero resentment towards QB’s in the locker room from the players that actually get touched every play. I know that players won’t do their QB like Willie Beaman but still:lol: