Official Discussion: X-Files returning to Fox for 6 episodes Update: Season 2!!!

ThaAnsa3

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
By the end it was a story arc so Im wondering how they're going to do it.

The random episodes were the shit. I still remember being little and hurrying up and turning the TV as soon as the fucking intro to the x-files came on cause it scared the shit out of me.

My favorite episode is the one where it was a full moon and they shot it cops style and people were getting killed by what they feared.

Got so many episodes I like. I like the one with the girl that had the doll that said, "I want to play" every time someone didn't give the little girl what she wanted. There was the shapeshifter episode. Man, just too many.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Got so many episodes I like. I like the one with the girl that had the doll that said, "I want to play" every time someone didn't give the little girl what she wanted. There was the shapeshifter episode. Man, just too many.

the one about the cockroaches had me shook..that one moment where the roach went across the screen i was like :eek::lol:

also liked the "First Person Shooter" episode

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Watch the first teaser trailer for The X-Files’ new season

Iconic sci-fi TV series returns in January after 13 long years

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
X-Files Creator Chris Carter Doesn’t Want You to Call the Show’s Return a ‘Reboot’

What's in a name? To X-Files creator Chris Carter, that's a loaded question. Fans are calling the show's six-episode January return all sorts of things: reboot, revival, miniseries. None of those seems accurate, Carter said Saturday during the show's EW Fest panel with veteran X-Files writers (and brothers) Glen Morgan and Darin Morgan. “‘Reboot’sounds cheesy. I don't like any of those words,” Carter said. “I call it ‘programming by feather duster.’ If you've liked this before, you'll like it again. I think none of us wanted to come back if it wasn't something new or original or updated. ... I didn't want to come back for a victory lap.”

This meant getting the band back together. Or, most of the band. Many of the show's original writers have become showrunners. As Glen Morgan, who came back for the new, er, reboot, noted with a laugh, "Initially, we had Vince [Gilligan] and Frank [Spotnitz] and Howard [Gordon], and I guess we were the only losers who didn't have anything else to do." (Gilligan’s busy with season two of Better Call Saul, Spotnitz is working on Amazon's The Man in the High Castle, and Gordon's on Homeland, which he co-created.)

Darin Morgan, the man responsible for writing many of the show's more lighthearted episodes, including "Humbug," returned for a different reason: He wanted to be left alone. "I thought executives would have a hands-off approach, because who are they to tell us how to do a show that we already did," he told moderator Jeff Jensen. "The executives left us alone, and we only have ourselves to blame if no one likes it. Also, the artistic reason [to return] was I always had a story that I wanted to tell that was about a monster, but also had a human life story angle. And The X-Files is the only place that you can tell that story." That new episode, "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster," exists in the same silly vein as his episode (and fan favorite) "Jose Chung's From Outer Space." Darin Morgan also reminisced about playing the "Flukeman" character: "It was an ordeal but I was out of work at the time, so I was happy to have a job. That costume was supported from my head, and when it got wet in the sewers it weighed like 100 pounds."

Back to Jose Chung: The season three episode almost had a different guest star. "I remember instead of Alex Trebek, Darin Morgan wanted to cast Salman Rushdie," Carter said. "That was back when he was still in deep hiding," Darin Morgan said. When asked if they reached out to Rushdie, Carter laughed. "No, I didn’t want that fatwa on me."

Carter also joked about wearing a bulletproof vest to the event in case any ’shippers were in attendance, and offered up this tidbit on the now-fractured Mulder-Scully partnership: "We are dealing with two people who had a relationship who are no longer together. And for reasons we come to relearn over the course of the [new] pilot, we see the reigniting of old passions that each of them have. We see them come back together for non-romantic reasons."

An audience member pointed out that David Duchovny recently said that Mulder and Scully were married, an idea Carter seemed to think was a conspiracy: "They were together, but never married, so that was news to me," he said. "I mean, you saw them in the second movie, they were obviously together and under one roof. I'm here to announce that that is not the case coming back."

Despite the long break since the series finale, the writers remain decidedly old school. They don't have a traditional writers’ room. In fact, they came up with new ideas in Glen Morgan's backyard with a bulletin board. He explained their process: “In a writers’ room for comedy, they typically pitch jokes to each other and write them down. Even now [for this series] we met in my backyard with a bulletin board, and said, Okay, now this is what we're doing.” Carter also said they use a series of note cards, broken down into four acts, and look for what they call “boos” — as in, moments that'll scare the pants off viewers.

Another question prodded about the number of female writers on staff. (There have only been a few.) After the group started naming off a few female writers, Darin Morgan said: "The thing to me, it wasn't so much a man-woman [ratio], but we had a female writer, Sara, who was the only one of us who was a true believer in supernatural stuff, and in a weird way I think it hindered her. It was more like that it wasn't a female perspective that was different, it was more about the paranormal thing. I don't think that there's a difference between men and women about [believing in] UFOs."

Chris Carter elaborated that it was never gender they were looking at, but talent: "Sometimes there's that sense that there's some discrimination, but that's just not the case. You're so desperate to find someone who can write the show, it doesn't matter if they're men, women, or transsexual. You're so desperate to find someone who can write the show well that you will hire anyone."

Someone else asked how Carter & Co. managed to create doctor, skeptic, and feminist icon Dana Scully, and he was quick to give credit to his secret weapon, Gillian Anderson. "By a stroke of luck I cast her and she was 24 at the time. She had that seriousness, that gravity. I didn't know how good of an actress she was or about her chemistry with David. That was a miracle. I didn’t know what she would bring beyond that but she had so many good ideas for the character. Gillian is as responsible for the creation of that character than any of the writers."

And perhaps the L.A.-based writers' trip to New York will offer inspiration for future episodes. Referencing “Home,” the creepiest episode of the series, which he co-wrote with writing partner James Wong, Glen Morgan pointed out: “The Peacock family from home is in no way as creepy as the Statue of Liberties over in Times Square.” Stay tuned.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/chris-carter-x-files-reboot.html#

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Why is it that after watching the Agents of Shield, this feels a little lame... IDK maybe I'm not into it like I should be..

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
http://thefappening.so/gillian-anderson-naked-9-photos-gif/
http://thefappening.so/

Gillian-Anderson-Naked.gif

Gillian-Anderson-Naked-02.jpg

Gillian-Anderson-Naked-03.jpg

Gillian-Anderson-Naked-04.jpg

Gillian-Anderson-Naked-01.jpg

futureshock

Registered
The X-Files' Chris Carter Is Already Preparing for More Episodes

thexfiles-news.jpg
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, The X-Files

Chris Carter is not one to count his chickens before they hatch, but that doesn't mean The X-Files creator isn't already mulling over ideas for additional episodes of the beloved series. In fact, he had already started writing a third X-Files movie before the idea of a television revival was even on the table. But Carter will have to wait until Sunday when The X-Files returns for a six-episode miniseries to see if the appetite for the paranormal crime-solving of Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson) is still there.

But what's kept Carter - and the fans - so invested in The X-Files for all these years? Will Mulder and Scully ever get back together? Is the truth still out there? In anticipation of the series' return, TVGuide.com asked Carter all our burning X-Files questions. Check out what he has to say below.

In the years sinceThe X-Fileswent off the air, how often did you still think about the show?

Chris Carter: Every day. It's the truth. Whenever I open the newspaper, which is every day, I always see a story where I think, "Wow. That could be an interesting X-File." I have to say it's in my DNA now after doing it almost 25 years.

Why The X-Files broke up Mulder and Scully

When did you first start to seriously consider bringing it back?
Carter: There had been talk of doing a third movie and I had actually written what I would call a study for that idea. So, I had been messing around with it completely informally on my own. Then we had a 20th year reunion at Comic-Con in San Diego three years ago and we were asked about coming back to television and I just took it as idle chatter and sort of forgot about it. But the people at Fox, I guess, were listening because they had conversations with the actors, I had come to find out, and the actors were interested in coming back. And so I got a call a year ago in October asking if I would be interested in coming back, right out of the blue. I said if the actors are interested, which I was told they were, I was all in. That's how it all began.

Why do you thinkThe X-Fileshas stood the test of time?
Carter: You have to think that it's because we were consistent, we told interesting stories. But I think the real reason is the characters of Mulder and Scully, as played by David and Gillian, are the beating heart of the show. It's the reason people have come back time and again and hopefully will come back in 2016.

How has the dynamic between Mulder and Scully evolved when we see them again?

Carter: They had a platonic relationship for almost the entire run of the first series. And while their relationship seemed to advance and even be consummated in the birth of a child, it was all alluded to. You never saw it onscreen. So the sexual tension, if you want to call it that - I'll call it the tension brought on by their professional intimacy - was heightened over almost 200 episodes of television. When they finally got together, it came as a shocker and surprise to everyone, but if you think about it, it was the most natural thing in the world. It wasn't until the second movie that we actually saw them in what I would consider a provocative intimacy, in the same bed together.

Originally, you had no plans to make Mulder and Scully love interests.
Carter: No, even though I got pressured to do so. I thought it would be a giant mistake: two people working together having a relationship. It seemed it would be shooting yourself in the foot.

Why The X-Files revival premiere will make you a believer

Some fans are very upset about Mulder and Scully breaking up in between the second movie and the revival. When you decided to break them up, did you anticipate this strong of a reaction?
Carter: No. But I hope it's a very vocal minority out there expressing this. And I'm sorry those people are unhappy, but it felt natural to me, knowing the characters as I do, that they would be uncomfortable living under one roof with their very strong and opinionated personalities. And also, this was alluded to in the first episode, with Mulder's particular character makeup. He's a very isolated character now that he's no longer at the FBI. And Scully, wanting to work as a doctor, needs to be out of the house. So I think that created a natural tension.

Is there any hope of Mulder and Scully getting back together?

Carter: There's an opportunity and a chance. This isn't just six episodes. This is a character arc. And we see them a way we haven't seen them before because they're dealing with completely new experiences in their lives. I think the 'shippers should watch carefully because we weren't just doing this for effect. We were actually being honest with the characters and how they might reunite.

What was it like for you to return to this world and write these characters again?

Carter: It was wonderful. You asked if I think about this, and I do all the time. Their voices kind of live in my head now. That is really the result of it spanning three decades of my life. It's a beautiful thing in this day and age of career changes every three to five years to be doing the same thing over the course of a lifetime, because it's given me such a rich opportunity as a storyteller.

Kumail Nanjiani talks going from X-Files superfan to guest star

How did the process of making this miniseries compare to making the original series?

Carter: It wasn't that much different. We actually met in Glen Morgan's backyard, so it wasn't necessarily a [writers'] room, it was more of a writers' patio. That was a very easy thing. There was shorthand. We all worked together before. We worked in the same way, which is we all plotted on bulletin boards with 3x5 cards. .. We all came back with very strong points of view, very strong story ideas. That all came naturally. I would say it wasn't a writers' room. We didn't sit around and write the scripts in thin air, as it were. We all talked about our ideas, we all went off and developed our ideas, we all came back and pitched those developed ideas, we all went and wrote those developed ideas, then we all turned scripts in to each other. That's how we've always done it and how we did it here.

The world has changed a lot since we last sawThe X-Files. How has the post-9/11 and Snowden era influenced the show?
Carter: Completely influenced it. It's a great time to be telling X-Files stories. When we went off the air in 2002, the world was a much different place. Nobody wanted to hear about government conspiracies. We wanted to hear about how the government was going to protect us. We were obsessed with our security and we were willing to give up rights and liberties to that effect. We're living in a world now where we're looking at the rollback of those rights and liberties and the abuse of them and the expanded intelligence apparatus. The government admits that it's spying on us. I think it's given everyone pause and created a world of tremendous distrust.

Have you also taken advantage of advances in technology and the possibilities that opens up?
Carter: Yes, we're playing with technology and [being] honest to it. Technology is important to the characters and the way they view the world and the way they communicate with each other. And [it affects] the way they interface with aspects of their jobs, if the X-Files is their job, in a way that they had never experienced previously. Where they once had to get out and pound the pavement to find answers, now they do it with a keystroke. We play with that. We play with the ironies of that.

Practical effects played such a huge role in the show when it came to creating the monsters. Are you still relying a lot on practical effects or will there be more CGI?
Carter: It's funny, I was given really smart advice early on that the best way to scare people in television is to scare them with what they don't see rather than what they do see, because you don't have time or money to do it. That continues to be the case. On a television schedule and with a television budget, you can't do giant special effects. You have to do a lot practically. With that said, the technology has advanced in such a way that you can do a lot more now with special effects than you ever could with a television budget on a television schedule. So, we took advantage of that. We also took advantage of a longer post-production schedule where you could perfect those special effects and do things that when I was doing the series originally you couldn't do because the air dates came so close together.

5 things you probably didn't know about The X-Files revival

How big of a role will aliens play in the actual miniseries?
Carter: They are all-important to the mythology of the show -- have always been and will continue to be. You'll find in three out of the six episodes, alien technology or aliens are important to the storytelling. So, I would say that the conspiracy, which has always been about the government's intention to keep the truth about the existence of extra-terrestrials from us, is alive and well, but has taken on a whole new life.

You only have four monster-of-the-week episodes in the season, so were there any creatures you wished you had been able to include had there been more episodes?
Carter: Yeah, there was a chance we were going to do a seventh episode, and I had the writers working furiously to create that seventh episode, and they came up with something really good. Ultimately, we just ran out of time and space to do it, so that episode was not filmed. But it was a great, spooky story with really interesting Mulder and Scully stories inside that episode. I'll tell you, I think there are an endless number of X-Files stories to tell. Every day I write down a new idea so if there are to be more, I've got a jump on it.

Was there anyone you wish you had been able to incorporate into the revival that you couldn't due to scheduling?
Carter: Yeah, behind the camera and in front of the camera we would have loved to have Robert Patrick, who was all-important to the end of the series, but he's on another show. We had a lot of the supporting cast back, but behind the camera: Vince Gilligan, I asked to come back to the show, but he was unable because he was on Better Call Saul; Frank Spotnitz is on Man in the High Castle; I never got a chance to ask Howard Gordon, who has his own show Tyrant; Alex Gansa is on Homeland. So there are people who we would have liked to work with, but we just couldn't.

If this revival is a success, would you be excited at the opportunity to do more?

Carter: It's been talked about. Certainly it's been suggested. It's been mentioned in casual conversation. But I think everyone's taking a wait and see approach and I'm taking it as well. I've told you now a number of times, there's lots more X-Files, endless X-Files, to tell. If I'm given the opportunity, time and money and place to do it, of course I'd be interested.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Every Easter Egg in The X-Files Were-Monster Episode

More than most, the latest episode of The X-Files ("Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster," written and directed by Darin Morgan) is filled to the brim with Easter eggs, callback characters, and other assorted references. We've attempted to gather as many of these as possible; fellow Philes, call out any we missed in the comments.

The two paint-huffing stoners (Tyler Labine and Nicole Parker Smith) in the teaser sequence previously appeared in a pair of season-three X-Files episodes: "War of the Coprophages" (also written by Morgan) and "Quagmire" (which Morgan did an uncredited rewrite on). "Do you ever think life is so amazing," one of them asks, "that maybe we shouldn't waste it by getting high all the time?" And more paint-huffing ensues. It's nice to see that, much like Mulder and Scully, time hasn't changed the two of them that much.

Mulder and pencils. Usually he throws them into the ceiling (the first episode where that happened was the killer-doll episode "Chinga," from season five, co-written by Stephen King). Here, Mulder throws his No. 2s like darts at the ever-present "I Want to Believe" one-sheet. "Mulder," says Scully, "what are you doing to my poster?" Glad she had a replacement after Mulder kicked and ripped another one in the season-ten premiere.

How Mulder dies. In their initial survey of the murder scene, Mulder remarks about how one of the victims might have taken a midnight stroll in the nude and been attacked by a wolf, a lion, and a bear all at the same time. "That's how I'd like to go out," says Mulder, clearly forgetting that in the Darin Morgan–penned season-three episode "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose," the title character played by Peter Boyle (a semi-psychic who can predict how people are going to die) said the agent's life would end as a result of "autoerotic asphyxiation." Typical Mulder — always forgetting the important stuff.

How Scully dies. Speaking of "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose," that was also the episode in which the Boyle character predicted Scully's demise: "How do I die?" she asks. Bruckman responds, with a gentle grin, "You don't." Hence Scully's "You forget … I'm immortal" quip to Mulder in this episode.

Porta Potties. The agents first come across Guy Mann (Rhys Darby) in a Porta Potty, which I like to think is a reference to a scene in the classic season-two episode "The Host" in which the sewage-dwelling Flukeman hides in a similar cartable toilet. And the guy who played the Flukeman? Darin Morgan, of course.

Guy Mann's human wardrobe is the same as Darren McGavin's character from the 1970s TV series Kolchak: The Night Stalker, which Chris Carter cites as a primary influence on The X-Files.

Alex Diakun. The peeping-tom motel owner is played by Canadian character actor Alex Diakun, who appeared in three prior Morgan-scriptedX-Files episodes ("Humbug," "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose," and "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'"), as well as in Morgan's season-twoMillennium episode "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me." He also shows up in another Millennium installment, the Chris Carter–penned "Lamentation," from season one. And he's the head-transplanting lead physician in the second X-Files movie, I Want to Believe (2008).

The red Speedo. When the motel owner peeps into Mulder's room, he sees the agent sleeping in the infamous red Speedo from the season-two mythology episode, "Duane Barry," which set so many viewer mouths to “drool.”

The graveyard sequence is especially dense with references. Mulder approaches, and lovingly touches, a tombstone engraved with the name of the late Kim Manners, the director who helmed the most X-Filesepisodes (52 in total), from his season-two debut ("Die Hand Die Verletzt") to the season-nine series finale ("The Truth"). The epigraph on the stone, "Let’s kick it in the ass," was a frequent Manners saying.

Jack Hardy. The tombstone Guy Mann is standing in front of is for the late Jack Hardy, an assistant director on two Chris Carter series —Millennium and The Lone Gunmen. He held the same position on the second X-Files movie, I Want to Believe. Julie Ng, who is working on the behind-the-scenes features for the season-ten X-Files Blu-ray, told me that Hardy was an especially beloved member of the Vancouver film community.

Mulder’s ringtone. After Mulder drinks himself into a stupor in the graveyard, he's woken up by his ringtone — the X-Files theme song, composed by Mark Snow.

Daggoo! Finally, we need to talk about Daggoo, the cute canine Guy Mann adopts and Scully later sneaks out of the animal shelter. This continues Morgan's trend of referencing Herman Melville's time-honoredMoby-Dick. In the novel, Daggoo is one of the harpooneers on the Pequod, the ship captained by the tyrannical Ahab. In one of the Morgan-ghostwritten scenes for season three's "Quagmire," Scully likens Mulder to Ahab, and compares the agent's quixotic quest to Ahab's obsessive search for the great white whale. It's also in that episode that Scully's pet Pomeranian, Queequeg, who is introduced in "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose," is eaten by an alligator. Queequeg is another character in Moby-Dick — a harpooneer on the Pequod and good friend to the novel's narrator, Ishmael. And as we found out in the season-one episode "Beyond the Sea" (co-written by Morgan's brother Glen), Scully was often referred to as "Starbuck" by her father — Starbuck being the Pequod's chief mate. No surprise Scully feels an immediate connection to Daggoo beyond his sheer adorableness.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
New ‘X-Files’ Trailer Introduces Mulder and Scully 2.0

It’s no secret that “The Flash’s” Robbie Amell will be guest starring on an upcoming episode of “The X-Files.” In fact, his casting has made speculation about the six-episode event series very intriguing.

The mystery surrounding his character stems from the possibility that he and Lauren Ambrose could be Mulder and Scully 2.0. Amell plays Agent Miller, an FBI agent who is obsessed with the paranormal. Ambrose plays Agent Einstein, Miller’s partner and amedical doctor. Sound familiar?

With questions surrounding the revival series, and theories about a potential spin off, it would appear that Amell and Ambrose could be the right pair to take over for David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson after this season is over.

Will Mulder and Scully pass the X-Files torch to these new agents? Check out the trailer for the upcoming episode “Babylon,” which airs Monday February 15, at 8 p.m. on Fox.

mexico

Rising Star
Registered
Loved last nights episode. Took me right back to 90's science fiction with atmosphere, the strange, unexplained apparition going around tearing people apart (literally) and the slightly ambiguous ending. Felt like I was in high school again making sure I had the timer on the VCR set. I've gotten right back into this show like it never left. I'm not even bothered at this point that it's not answering any questions about the mythology.

I normally don't dig on revivals or reboots of old shows -- see Heroes Reborn -- but I'd down for more of this... not that Mulder and Scully 2.0 shit, though. I'm too invested in the original duo

futureshock

Registered
Before Last Night:
‘The X-Files’ reaches more than 16 million on return

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/188774/the-x-files-reaches-more-than-16-million-on-return

X-Files ratings remain huge for second episode
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/26/x-files-ratings

'The X-Files': Do these good ratings mean more episodes?
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultur...iles-Do-these-good-ratings-mean-more-episodes

Last Night:
TV Ratings Monday: Grammy Awards dominate, ‘X-Files’ and ‘Castle’ take hits [Updated]

POSTED 10:14 AM, FEBRUARY 16, 2016, BY RICK PORTER, UPDATED AT 01:55PM, FEBRUARY 16, 2016

Broadcast primetime live + same-day ratings for Monday, Feb. 15, 2016

The numbers for Monday:

Time Show Adults 18-49 Rating/Share Viewers (millions)
8 p.m. 58th Grammy Awards (CBS) (8-11:30 p.m.) – S 7.7/22 24.95
The Bachelor (ABC) (8-10 p.m.) 2.2/7 7.15
The X-Files (FOX) 2.1/7 7.07
Superstore (NBC) 1.2/4 3.87
Mortal Kombat X: Machinima’s Chasing the Cup (The CW) – S 0.3/1 0.77
8:30 p.m. Telenovela (NBC) 0.7/2 2.33
9 p.m. Lucifer (FOX) 1.6/4 5.15
The Biggest Loser (NBC) (9-11 p.m.) 0.9/3 2.85
Legends of Tomorrow (The CW) – R 0.2/1 0.64
10 p.m. Castle (ABC) 0.9/3 5.09

The Grammy Awards, unsurprisingly, gave CBS a huge ratings win Monday night. The live telecast currently has a 7.4 rating drew a 7.7 rating in adults 18-49, per time zone-adjusted fast nationals. That’s down from 8.5 last season, when the awards aired in their usual Sunday spot. (Viewer numbers were about the same: 24.95 million vs. 25.3 million last year.)

The Grammys also put the hurt on a few other shows. “The X-Files” fell 0.4 week to week, and “The Bachelor” (2.2), “Superstore” (1.2) and “Telenovela” (0.7) all fell two tenths. FOX’s “Lucifer,” however, held up reasonably well, dipping only a tenth of a point vs. last week. “Castle” posted a 0.9, a season low in its regular home.

Network averages:

CBS FOX ABC NBC CW
Adults 18-49 rating/share 7.4/22 1.8/5 1.7/5 0.9/3 0.2/1
Total Viewers (millions) 23.72 6.11 6.46 2.93 0.71

Source: The Nielsen Company.

Ratings: ‘Castle’ season 8 improves; ‘The X-Files,’ ‘Lucifer,’ ‘The Bachelor’ down versus Grammys

We all knew that the Grammy Awards were going to prove to be a rather huge draw on Monday, and as a result of that, it would be rather tricky for some other shows to find much of an audience. A few of them succeeded all things considered, but there were also some others that had a pretty significant dent put into their numbers.

The good news – We’re not sure just how much you call this “good news,” but “Castle” improved from its Sunday airing in drawing a 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic. Is this going to get the show renewed? Probably not, so there is a definite fear of it ending if the ratings do not at least get back over the 1.0 threshold again. (Let’s go and question putting this under “good news” again; it’s just the only non-Grammys show to improve compared to a recent episode.)

Of course, the Grammys killed it and won the night with a 7.4 rating. While down in some measures versus the year before, it’s still a monster telecast.

We’re going to go ahead and throw in here “The X-Files,” given that a 2.1 rating, while down, is still very good all things considered. Our feeling was that if the show draws more than a 2.0 all season, it will probably get more episodes.

The bad news – Pretty much everything else was down. “The Biggest Loser” slid further to a 0.9, “Lucifer” hit its lowest rating to date in a 1.6, and “Superstore” declined to a 1.2. What we will say is that we do think the two new shows just mentioned here will be renewed, and obviously the same goes for “The Bachelor” (2.2), which won the night among regularly-scheduled programs.

You can see some more highlights right now from the Grammys just by heading over to this link! Also, sign up over here in the event you want some other TV news on everything we cover at CarterMatt, sent right to you via our newsletter. (Photo: Grammys.)

http://cartermatt.com/195560/rating...les-lucifer-the-bachelor-down-versus-grammys/

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor
Not bad but I wish it were a true mini series with a connected plot but hey its the X-Files so anything goes.:dunno:o_O:rolleyes2::D

futureshock

Registered
The X-Files season finale promo goes out in 'deafening silence'

BY KELLY CONNOLLY@_KELLYQ

The X-Files
Posted February 16 2016 — 5:40 PM EST

Related

Chris Carter previews last two 'X-Files' episodes
Prepare yourself for the truth: The X-Files’ six-episode event series comes to an end on Monday, and it’s going to be “shocking.”

The promo for the season 10 finale finds Scully (Gillian Anderson) teaming up with Einstein (Lauren Ambrose) to investigate the possibility that alien DNA could be “lurking in every American citizen.” Could that DNA explain why so many people — including Einstein and Tad O’Malley (Joel McHale) — seem to be coming down with a mysterious illness? And is Mulder (David Duchovny) sick too, or is he just recovering from a confrontation with the Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis)?

“You set this in motion,” Mulder accuses his seemingly unflappable opposition, gun to his head. “Now you’re going to put a stop to it.”

Series creator Chris Carter tells EW that the finale is “the answer to the question posed by the first part of the two-parter [the season premiere],” though that answer doesn’t seem like it will be an easy one: At TCA, Carter confirmed that the episode ends on a cliff-hanger.

“It would now appear we go out with a deafening silence,” O’Malley declares.

Check out the trailer above. The X-Files’ season finale airs Monday Feb. 22 at 8 p.m.

Chris Carter previews last two X-Files episodes

They involve some dancing.
BY DARREN FRANICH@DARRENFRANICH

the-x-files_0.jpg

(Ed Araquel/Fox)

Posted February 15 2016 — 8:01 AM EST

We already revealed that Monday’s episode of The X-Files will feature an appearance by fan-favorite characters the Lone Gunmen. They appear as part of what X-Files creator Chris Carter describes as “a presumed psychedelic hallucination.” That same apparent hallucination also sees Special Agent Mulder (David Duchovny) hitting the dance floor for a rather elaborate routine – set to Billy Ray Cyrus’ “Achy Breaky Heart.” Carter wrote and directed the episode, and talked to us about that dance number and the episode’s special guest stars.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: I don’t want to spoil anything, but can we talk about how the psychedelic hallucination involves Mulder dancing to “Achy Breaky Heart”?
CHRIS CARTER:
I was a big fan of the ChristopherWalken-Fatboy Slim video collaboration, “Weapon of Choice.” I wanted to have Mulder do something like that. We actually had a choreographer work with David [Duchovny]. David isn’t a trained dancer, but he’s very athletic. And he’s also game. We had a limited amount of time, not only to shoot it, but also to practice it. We actually had a choreographer work with David – he had no idea how to do that dance, or how to two-step. All that [rehearsal] happened as we were filming episode 3 and a little bit of 4.

Monday’s episode also features guest stars Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose. How do they fit into the show?
Fox said to me, really almost as an aside, “Would you ever consider spinning the show off?” For me, the show is Mulder and Scully, and David and Gillian [Anderson]. But I thought: “Why don’t I just play with this idea of a younger Mulder and Scully?” I would call them a more extreme, wide-eyed Mulder, and a more aggressive Scully.

The season premiere was called “My Struggle,” and the upcoming finale is titled “My Struggle II.” How does the finale tie back to the premiere?
It’s the answer to the question posed by the first part of the two-parter [the season premiere]. But as an answer, it only goes so far to the edge of the cliff. It is the predicament of their lives brought into the most frightening spotlight that I could imagine. The predicament of: Where is their child?

The show has been getting very good ratings. Have there been talks about another season, or a movie?
I had one question thrown out to me at a meeting. [Fox Television CEO] Dana Walden asked, “If there were another series, when do you think you could begin work on it?” It wasn’t an overture, more of a practical issue. That was before the show ever aired and they knew what the ratings would be. There’s been no conversation about doing more of these. With the ratings news, it’s hard to imagine that they wouldn’t come back to us.

I would love to do another movie. Especially coming off that second movie, which had such a heavy weight upon it: A summer-release, low-budget movie, with no promotion, in a crowded field of tentpole fare. I was asked to do so much with so little. And I tried! If we were to do another movie, it would need to be akin to the first movie, which I thought was a story worthy of the big screen. That said, I can’t imagine they won’t want to somehow figure out how to do this on TV.

If the show returned for another season, do you envision the same mixture of mythology episodes and stand-alone episodes?
I love the mythology. I focused so much on it during the run of the show because it really involved the character’s personal quests, and also their relationship as it grew, and/or as it ebbed. The struggles. I chose “My Struggle” [as a title for the premiere and finale] because those characters both struggle very much with their belief systems. I love the mythology because it did what I think the show did best. The stand-alone episodes could be light, comedic. I think of the episode with Burt Reynolds … it goes into almost concept art. A show, with the right actors, can be more than just one thing.

Last edited:

futureshock

Registered
The X-Files becomes Channel 5's highest rating drama ever in final figures
The consolidated numbers have arrived, and they're massive.
BY BEN LEE

landscape-1453805881-tv-the-x-files-episode-2-still-01.jpg

You better believe it - The X-Files is proving to be a roaring success in the UK.

Consolidated figures show that a massive 5.1 million people and a 19% share of individuals watched the first episode of the brand new 10th series on Channel 5.

It becomes the highest-rated drama to ever air on the channel.

The X-Files is now also Channel 5's most popular programme since the launch of Celebrity Big Brother in 2011.

gallery-ustv-heroes-reborn-episode-1-still-02.jpg
© NBC Universal Christos Kalohoridis

Elsewhere, Heroes Reborn began on 5*, airing to 341,000 viewers (1.6%). It is 5*'s highest-rated new drama since 2011's Alphas.

PREVIOUS ARTICLE
It's official: Doctor Who's new spinoff will be amazing

More TV News coming soon

The X-Files, starring Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, finishes next Monday on Fox in the US.

See a trailer for the finale below - but be warned, there are spoilers for those of you watching at UK pace:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-x-...s-highest-rating-drama-ever-in-final-figures/

Last edited:

Count23

International
International Member
Loved last nights episode. Took me right back to 90's science fiction with atmosphere, the strange, unexplained apparition going around tearing people apart (literally) and the slightly ambiguous ending. Felt like I was in high school again making sure I had the timer on the VCR set. I've gotten right back into this show like it never left. I'm not even bothered at this point that it's not answering any questions about the mythology.

I normally don't dig on revivals or reboots of old shows -- see Heroes Reborn -- but I'd down for more of this... not that Mulder and Scully 2.0 shit, though. I'm too invested in the original duo
this

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This show is so damn RICH!! They better renew it for another season with a few more episode. IMO, 12 is a great number!