Official Discussion: X-Files returning to Fox for 6 episodes Update: Season 2!!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
hris Carter Says More X-Files Is Headed Your Way Whenever They Can Work Out Scheduling — Those Aliens Are Extremely Busy

the X-Files creator explained.

"They were happy with the show. I talked to Dana Walden today. She said they'd very much like more, but nothing's being negotiated yet." According to Carter, both David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are seemingly game for another season, but between writing and creating a schedule that accommodates their work and personal lives, details might take a while to emerge. And that’s not to mention the aliens’ schedules! Those guys have so many goddamn tap-dance lessons to work around, it’s insane

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
In Defense of Chris Carter’s Latest Season ofThe X-Files

Has many have suggested, no matter how disappointed some viewers or my fellow critics were by his contributions.

Not that he’ll be asked to — the tenth season did very well in the ratings (the finale drew 7.5 million people), and Carter has already had conversations about more episodes with Fox. But even if disappointed viewers were to push a petition or send cracked flying saucers to Fox headquarters in protest, I can’t see Carter being pushed out, much less going willingly. And I’m glad for that, because The X-Files is his show, and he’s a popular artist. That’s right: artist.

Not that my opinion will sway the consensus — nor should it — but I don’t think season ten was egregiously horrible or even particularly bad by X-Files standards. It’s one of my favorite long-running series in TV history, and like a lot of long-running series, it’s always had good and bad weeks, good and bad seasons. Like a lot of long-running series, it probably went on too long, improvised its way into a few too many dead-end plotlines, and trotted out too many half-assed reiterations of elements that were perhaps not the show’s strong suit anyway; I’m thinking mainly of the ongoing conspiracy plotline, which eventually made Carter seem like an illusionist who had run out of illusions and was just playing for time. In its last three, maybe four years, it pulled a rabbit out of a hat that had been pulled out of another hat that had been pulled out of yet another hat, and so on, and so on, until even die-hard viewers quit feeling the magic and resented the tricks.

But if these flaws, or “issues,” were apparent in season ten as well, so were the show’s considerable virtues, and after revisiting all six episodes, I believe it’s the virtues that will resonate over time.

Season ten got off to a rocky start in the exposition-and-fan-service-clogged premiere “My Struggle” — which is understandable when you think of Carter, co-stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, and their collaborators as a band that hadn’t jammed together in 14 years. But the band started to get its groove back in “Founder’s Mutation,” a pretty good Monster of the Week in the “afflicted soothsayer” vein that the show always did well, with a mild injection of mythology in the form of fantasies and flashbacks pertaining to Mulder and Scully’s son, who was given up for adoption in season nine’s “William.”

Episodes three and four, “Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster” and “Home Again,” ranked with the best of the original series. I wrote a separate column about the first, a typically oddball charmer from Darin Morgan — the Donald Barthelme of The X-Files, or maybe the Charlie Kaufman. But the second, written and directed by Darin Morgan’s brother, Glen, was just as good, albeit quite different in tone, style, and aim. Here, too, the show blended MOW and mythology elements, switching between an investigation into the Band-Aid Nose Man, a murderous, golemlike creature unleashed by a homeless artist protesting the mistreatment of his fellow homeless, and Scully’s grief over the illness and death of her mother, Margaret.

The plotlines merged in a semi-narrated sequence that cut between the artist, Trashman (superbly played by musician-actor Tim Armstrong of Rancid), and Scully, bereft and lost in thought as she remembered the birth of William, her son with Mulder. There was no one-to-one correlation between an artist giving birth to art and a mother giving birth to a child; this association was teased out through the dialogue, photography, and editing. Scully made them herself by the end, but through what seemed like emotional rather than intellectual leaps.

The scene also seemed to be suggesting — heretically, to some — that artists do bear responsibility for the art they put out into the world; that the onus is not exclusively on the audience that experiences or consumes the art. “You are responsible,” Scully says, emerging from her reverie and merging the episode’s plotlines with her words. “If you make the problem, if it was your idea, then you’re responsible. You put it out of sight so that it wouldn’t be your problem. But you’re as bad as the people that you hate.”

“Home Again” established Glen Morgan as one of the more overtly political and satirical storytellers on The X-Files. The sequence in which a smug and hypocritical enemy of the homeless got murdered by the golem to the tune of Petula Clark’s “Downtown” was the show at its most scathing. But episode five, “Babylon,” was its nearly incompetent twin.

Written and directed by Carter, it was a disaster, lumpy and unfocused. And it portrayed both Muslim immigrants and Texas rednecks — an axis of offense you definitely don’t see every day — in a lazily stereotypical way that undercut Mulder’s goofy-dreamy peyote trip and Carter’s hippie-surfer One World utopianism.

But even here, there were fascinating, if only dimly realized, ideas slip-sliding around in the episode’s margins. The script tried to tie all the various elements together with allusions to the story of the Tower of Babel and the culture-crossing power of Mother Love, and it didn’t quite work. But it’s fascinating how Scully’s revelation in “Home Again” mirrors Mulder’s peyote trip. Both are examples of the show's tendency, derived from Twin Peaks, to show characters seeking answers through intuitive or emotional means, not just through facts and logic.

The finale, “My Struggle, Part II,” is a bag of problems in the vein of ones that hampered the premiere (which was probably inevitable, given that it’s entirely Carter’s story and is dependent on his exposition-heavy dialogue). I didn’t believe that the paranoiac Mulder would have a phone locator on his laptop in the first place, much less have it right there on the desktop where Agent Miller (Robbie Amell) could use it, without any serious security measures preventing that.

But this episode, too, has merits. I found it exhausting, and not in an entirely bad way, and it seemed inevitable that Carter would stir in some anti-vaxxer paranoia along with all the other ingredients in the gumbo: it’s not responsible, in any real-world sense, to validate all the other conspiracies the show has featured since 1993, either, but that’s what The X-Files does, when it’s indulging the horror-movie mandate of “Whatever you fear most is what’s actually happening.” The sight of civilization falling apart right before our eyes was expertly rendered: the sick, weak Mulder driving back from South Carolina; the war veteran with the hideous, bubbly scar where his anthrax vaccination once was.

And considering how many times in the past that Carter has added yet another layer or wrinkle to the show’s ongoing mythology, are we really surprised and/or outraged that he’d do it again here, and that he’d put the fire-maimed Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis) in the position of pulling the trigger on a species-wide extinction that’s been in the works since Roswell? “The world will go on, just in my image instead of God’s” was a great, chilling line, and the sight of the Smoking Man, this series’ own personal Satan, removing a piece of his face to show his true form wasunnerving, especially coupled with the scene’s insinuation that he and Mulder complete each other in some way. It tied in with the exchange between Mulder and Scully near the end of “Home Again,” describing the show’s deeper conflict as being between “deep and unconditional love” and “unqualified hate that appears to have no end."

Will “Mother Love” “trump all hatred,” as that same episode seemed to promise? If so, I think Scully, not William, might turn out to be the key to a happy ending, if The X-Files decides to give us one. And if it doesn’t, that’s its prerogative, and wholly consistent with everything the series has shown us to date. The endless slog of life is baked into the show’s narrative, and the sight of the noticeably older Scully, Mulder, Skinner (Mitch Pileggi), and the Smoking Man all engaged in the same struggle all these years later felt true to me, and reminded me of what I liked so much about The Force Awakens and Creed, two “legacy” sequels that extended previous incarnations of a franchise into the present rather than merely erasing them and starting over with a reboot.

Einstein and Miller are pretty clearly positioned as the heirs to Scully and Mulder: Einstein even has red hair like Scully and is a rationalist, while “Mulder” and “Miller” are near-rhymes. Seeing the four of them in the same frame had a generational resonance, like seeing Rocky Balboa train his former opponent’s son, or Han Solo and Princess Leia’s son face off against a young woman whose identity is still unresolved, but might turn out to be either a blood heir to another character in the Star Warsuniverse or at the very least an important protégé of Luke Skywalker.

In any case, I trust Carter, not to deliver another batch of episodes that give me exactly what I personally want, but to make more installments ofThe X-Files that are funny, strange, and often confounding. And I deeply mistrust the instinct among some viewers to say that because he and his colleagues didn’t dot every I and cross every T, and gave us some episodes that were in a fundamental way weak or bad, that he no longer deserves to be the person in charge of this ongoing franchise. This is a great and innovative television series, not a restaurant, and we shouldn’t be responding to it as if we were diners who went to our favorite restaurant, didn’t get the meal we thought we had a right to expect, and then wrote a bad review on Yelp. It’s more complicated than that.

It isn’t always more complicated across popular culture, not with every TV series or film; some things really are all about fan service, about trying to be all things to all people at all times. But The X-Files is in a class by itself, with its simultaneous embrace of one-off, stand-alone stories and serialized narrative, and its ability to jump between exceptionally dire, even borderline-humorless end-of-the-world fear-mongering and lighter episodes that spend 15 minutes with Mulder hearing a lycanthropic amphibian tell his life story while standing in a graveyard ringed by tombstones bearing the names of people who died during the show’s 23-year run.

Carter’s not the coach of a football team or the CEO of a publicly traded company, and he shouldn’t be pushed out because the team had a bad season or the company had a bad quarter. Thinking about him in those terms — which is what a good number of people seem to be doing — is bad for television, and bad for creativity in general. We are all invested in The X-Files because we watch and love it, but that doesn’t mean we own it. Carter does, and even if you only think there were two good episodes in this most recent batch of six, it still means he’s batting .300, which in baseball constitutes a great season for whoever’s at bat — more so if he’s been out of this particular game since 2002.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/chris-carter-the-x-files-season-10-defense.html

mexico

Rising Star
Registered
In Defense of Chris Carter’s Latest Season ofThe X-Files

Has many have suggested, no matter how disappointed some viewers or my fellow critics were by his contributions.

Not that he’ll be asked to — the tenth season did very well in the ratings (the finale drew 7.5 million people), and Carter has already had conversations about more episodes with Fox. But even if disappointed viewers were to push a petition or send cracked flying saucers to Fox headquarters in protest, I can’t see Carter being pushed out, much less going willingly. And I’m glad for that, because The X-Files is his show, and he’s a popular artist. That’s right: artist.

Not that my opinion will sway the consensus — nor should it — but I don’t think season ten was egregiously horrible or even particularly bad by X-Files standards. It’s one of my favorite long-running series in TV history, and like a lot of long-running series, it’s always had good and bad weeks, good and bad seasons. Like a lot of long-running series, it probably went on too long, improvised its way into a few too many dead-end plotlines, and trotted out too many half-assed reiterations of elements that were perhaps not the show’s strong suit anyway; I’m thinking mainly of the ongoing conspiracy plotline, which eventually made Carter seem like an illusionist who had run out of illusions and was just playing for time. In its last three, maybe four years, it pulled a rabbit out of a hat that had been pulled out of another hat that had been pulled out of yet another hat, and so on, and so on, until even die-hard viewers quit feeling the magic and resented the tricks.

But if these flaws, or “issues,” were apparent in season ten as well, so were the show’s considerable virtues, and after revisiting all six episodes, I believe it’s the virtues that will resonate over time.

Season ten got off to a rocky start in the exposition-and-fan-service-clogged premiere “My Struggle” — which is understandable when you think of Carter, co-stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, and their collaborators as a band that hadn’t jammed together in 14 years. But the band started to get its groove back in “Founder’s Mutation,” a pretty good Monster of the Week in the “afflicted soothsayer” vein that the show always did well, with a mild injection of mythology in the form of fantasies and flashbacks pertaining to Mulder and Scully’s son, who was given up for adoption in season nine’s “William.”

Episodes three and four, “Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster” and “Home Again,” ranked with the best of the original series. I wrote a separate column about the first, a typically oddball charmer from Darin Morgan — the Donald Barthelme of The X-Files, or maybe the Charlie Kaufman. But the second, written and directed by Darin Morgan’s brother, Glen, was just as good, albeit quite different in tone, style, and aim. Here, too, the show blended MOW and mythology elements, switching between an investigation into the Band-Aid Nose Man, a murderous, golemlike creature unleashed by a homeless artist protesting the mistreatment of his fellow homeless, and Scully’s grief over the illness and death of her mother, Margaret.

The plotlines merged in a semi-narrated sequence that cut between the artist, Trashman (superbly played by musician-actor Tim Armstrong of Rancid), and Scully, bereft and lost in thought as she remembered the birth of William, her son with Mulder. There was no one-to-one correlation between an artist giving birth to art and a mother giving birth to a child; this association was teased out through the dialogue, photography, and editing. Scully made them herself by the end, but through what seemed like emotional rather than intellectual leaps.

The scene also seemed to be suggesting — heretically, to some — that artists do bear responsibility for the art they put out into the world; that the onus is not exclusively on the audience that experiences or consumes the art. “You are responsible,” Scully says, emerging from her reverie and merging the episode’s plotlines with her words. “If you make the problem, if it was your idea, then you’re responsible. You put it out of sight so that it wouldn’t be your problem. But you’re as bad as the people that you hate.”

“Home Again” established Glen Morgan as one of the more overtly political and satirical storytellers on The X-Files. The sequence in which a smug and hypocritical enemy of the homeless got murdered by the golem to the tune of Petula Clark’s “Downtown” was the show at its most scathing. But episode five, “Babylon,” was its nearly incompetent twin.

Written and directed by Carter, it was a disaster, lumpy and unfocused. And it portrayed both Muslim immigrants and Texas rednecks — an axis of offense you definitely don’t see every day — in a lazily stereotypical way that undercut Mulder’s goofy-dreamy peyote trip and Carter’s hippie-surfer One World utopianism.

But even here, there were fascinating, if only dimly realized, ideas slip-sliding around in the episode’s margins. The script tried to tie all the various elements together with allusions to the story of the Tower of Babel and the culture-crossing power of Mother Love, and it didn’t quite work. But it’s fascinating how Scully’s revelation in “Home Again” mirrors Mulder’s peyote trip. Both are examples of the show's tendency, derived from Twin Peaks, to show characters seeking answers through intuitive or emotional means, not just through facts and logic.

The finale, “My Struggle, Part II,” is a bag of problems in the vein of ones that hampered the premiere (which was probably inevitable, given that it’s entirely Carter’s story and is dependent on his exposition-heavy dialogue). I didn’t believe that the paranoiac Mulder would have a phone locator on his laptop in the first place, much less have it right there on the desktop where Agent Miller (Robbie Amell) could use it, without any serious security measures preventing that.

But this episode, too, has merits. I found it exhausting, and not in an entirely bad way, and it seemed inevitable that Carter would stir in some anti-vaxxer paranoia along with all the other ingredients in the gumbo: it’s not responsible, in any real-world sense, to validate all the other conspiracies the show has featured since 1993, either, but that’s what The X-Files does, when it’s indulging the horror-movie mandate of “Whatever you fear most is what’s actually happening.” The sight of civilization falling apart right before our eyes was expertly rendered: the sick, weak Mulder driving back from South Carolina; the war veteran with the hideous, bubbly scar where his anthrax vaccination once was.

And considering how many times in the past that Carter has added yet another layer or wrinkle to the show’s ongoing mythology, are we really surprised and/or outraged that he’d do it again here, and that he’d put the fire-maimed Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis) in the position of pulling the trigger on a species-wide extinction that’s been in the works since Roswell? “The world will go on, just in my image instead of God’s” was a great, chilling line, and the sight of the Smoking Man, this series’ own personal Satan, removing a piece of his face to show his true form wasunnerving, especially coupled with the scene’s insinuation that he and Mulder complete each other in some way. It tied in with the exchange between Mulder and Scully near the end of “Home Again,” describing the show’s deeper conflict as being between “deep and unconditional love” and “unqualified hate that appears to have no end."

Will “Mother Love” “trump all hatred,” as that same episode seemed to promise? If so, I think Scully, not William, might turn out to be the key to a happy ending, if The X-Files decides to give us one. And if it doesn’t, that’s its prerogative, and wholly consistent with everything the series has shown us to date. The endless slog of life is baked into the show’s narrative, and the sight of the noticeably older Scully, Mulder, Skinner (Mitch Pileggi), and the Smoking Man all engaged in the same struggle all these years later felt true to me, and reminded me of what I liked so much about The Force Awakens and Creed, two “legacy” sequels that extended previous incarnations of a franchise into the present rather than merely erasing them and starting over with a reboot.

Einstein and Miller are pretty clearly positioned as the heirs to Scully and Mulder: Einstein even has red hair like Scully and is a rationalist, while “Mulder” and “Miller” are near-rhymes. Seeing the four of them in the same frame had a generational resonance, like seeing Rocky Balboa train his former opponent’s son, or Han Solo and Princess Leia’s son face off against a young woman whose identity is still unresolved, but might turn out to be either a blood heir to another character in the Star Warsuniverse or at the very least an important protégé of Luke Skywalker.

In any case, I trust Carter, not to deliver another batch of episodes that give me exactly what I personally want, but to make more installments ofThe X-Files that are funny, strange, and often confounding. And I deeply mistrust the instinct among some viewers to say that because he and his colleagues didn’t dot every I and cross every T, and gave us some episodes that were in a fundamental way weak or bad, that he no longer deserves to be the person in charge of this ongoing franchise. This is a great and innovative television series, not a restaurant, and we shouldn’t be responding to it as if we were diners who went to our favorite restaurant, didn’t get the meal we thought we had a right to expect, and then wrote a bad review on Yelp. It’s more complicated than that.

It isn’t always more complicated across popular culture, not with every TV series or film; some things really are all about fan service, about trying to be all things to all people at all times. But The X-Files is in a class by itself, with its simultaneous embrace of one-off, stand-alone stories and serialized narrative, and its ability to jump between exceptionally dire, even borderline-humorless end-of-the-world fear-mongering and lighter episodes that spend 15 minutes with Mulder hearing a lycanthropic amphibian tell his life story while standing in a graveyard ringed by tombstones bearing the names of people who died during the show’s 23-year run.

Carter’s not the coach of a football team or the CEO of a publicly traded company, and he shouldn’t be pushed out because the team had a bad season or the company had a bad quarter. Thinking about him in those terms — which is what a good number of people seem to be doing — is bad for television, and bad for creativity in general. We are all invested in The X-Files because we watch and love it, but that doesn’t mean we own it. Carter does, and even if you only think there were two good episodes in this most recent batch of six, it still means he’s batting .300, which in baseball constitutes a great season for whoever’s at bat — more so if he’s been out of this particular game since 2002.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/chris-carter-the-x-files-season-10-defense.html

Really good read. Sums up a lot of what I thought about the season.

I don't think Carter needs to go, but the episodes that were directed by others were clearly superior from a craft standpoint. That finale, with Mulder turning into a kung fu artists out of nowhere then being found by Miller because he left the GPS on on his phone had me rolling my eyes. But I did like the whole setup of a genetically modified virus ending humanity. So, Carter is still clearly making valuable contributions. Probably best if he just leans more on the other writers in the room instead of taking the wheel.

One thing I will say in Carter's favor, it felt like the last episode could have benefitted from being at least 90 minutes. It felt like the last 10 minutes, they were trying to squeeze too much action into it to get to that last shot on the bridge. So, who knows how much he had to condense or cut out.

Damian Stone

I saw a real UFO....
BGOL Investor
Really good read. Sums up a lot of what I thought about the season.

I don't think Carter needs to go, but the episodes that were directed by others were clearly superior from a craft standpoint. That finale, with Mulder turning into a kung fu artists out of nowhere then being found by Miller because he left the GPS on on his phone had me rolling my eyes

I have not seen it yet but as a graduate from the FBI academy Mulder is supposed to be proficient in hands-to-hands combat, knife handling and weapons grade efficiency. Both Mulder and Scully, they were never marketed that way but still F B I.....

mexico

Rising Star
Registered
I have not seen it yet but as a graduate from the FBI academy Mulder is supposed to be proficient in hands-to-hands combat, knife handling and weapons grade efficiency. Both Mulder and Scully, they were never marketed that way but still F B I.....

Hand to hand combat is one thing, and it wasn't really kung-fu (I was just being facitious), but when you see the way it was edited, with the under-cranked photography to make it look like Mulder was moving faster than he really was... then the speed-ramp to slo mo to show off a missed punch... it was just poorly directed. Didn't look natural at all. It looked like someone trying to imitate John Woo, and doing a poor job at it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
x-files_2016.jpg

HERC: My memory tells me that “The X-Files” was the number-two scripted show on Fox last season [after “Empire”], yet we have not heard yet any sort of news on another set of episodes. What is the delay precisely? Is this just because [David] Duchovny’s agent is playing hardball?

FOX TELEVISION GROUP CEO DANA WALDEN: How do you know that?!

HERC: It’s not Chris Carter’s.

FOX ENTERTAINMENT PRESIDENT DAVID MADDEN: We would obviously love to do another season. There are significant talks going on with all three of the principals [Duchovny, Gillian Anderson and series mastermind Chris Carter]. Schedules are hard, but we are working hard to get this done, and we would love to get another season out soon.

Seconds after the microphones were turned off, Walden was asked if “The X-Files” might return for a full season. “I don’t see a full season of episodes, but I’d be happy to get 10 or eight episodes,” she allowed.

The duo was also asked about disappointment with the 2016 episodes.

“Fans and critics, I think, if you look at the feedback from the six episodes, were not thrilled with the consistency of quality over those six episodes,” noted another reporter. “I’m curious, have you read that criticism? Did you take it to heart? And will you be addressing that with Chris Carter before the new season?”

“I actually think that the six episodes were strong,” answered Madden. “We worked hard with Chris on the previous season. The episodes represent Chris and his team’s vision. Everybody reads what they read, but if we have the opportunity to do more episodes, we will take our cue from Chris and his team. I think that there was some very strong work throughout the season, and we look forward to more.”

“They had the challenge of filling in the mythology and explaining where the characters were and how they got to where they are at the start of the six episodes,” added Walden. “I think, going forward, there won’t be the same obligation to reset the series, but I would tell you that, on our social platforms, the chatter is overwhelmingly positive, and the fans want more episodes. And I did read some negative reviews, and I also saw some glowing reviews. So, like with most shows, I thought it was very mixed.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
X-Files fans have apparently believed hard enough, because the series reboot is coming back for an additional ten episodes, which are scheduled to premiere sometime in the 2017–2018 TV season. Fox has not shared any details about the plot for season 11, but the announcement did come with a kind of motion poster that only contains the slightest bit of motion. The GIF reminds us that the truth is out there, of course, but could there be a hidden message in all the little X’s? Well, besides the large X-Files watermark logo above blurry Mulder and Scully? Probably not, but this is all you have to go on until the end of the year, so might as well make the best of it.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/x-files-reboot-season-11.html

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Bland Not-Mulder and Scully FBI Agents Will Be Back for X-Files Season 11

Katharine Trendacosta

Today 5:20pm
Filed to:X-FILES
fyrcwjcxq5vzetryjjmy.png

Image: Fox
Hey, remember Agents Miller (Robbie Amell) and Einstein (Lauren Ambrose)? No? Well, try to dredge up some sort of memory because they’re coming back in season 11 of The X-Files.

According to TV Line, which broke the news, it’s still unknown how many episodes they’ll appear in. I’m laying money on the two mythology episodes that were recently announced, since a) those are the ones most likely to be written by Chris Carter and b) they premiered in one of his episodes and he brought them back for the mythology-heavy finale.

ADVERTISEMENT

Miller (whose first name is “Kyd”—please send help) and Einstein first showed up in “Babylon,” better known as “the one where Mulder got high.” Thanks to that bit of craziness, Miller and Einstein absolutely did not leave a mark in their debut. If you thought about them at all, it was to notice the glaring attempt to backdoor pilot them into their own spinoff. Miller’s the believer and Einstein the skeptic. She even has red hair. Unfortunately, they suffered a case of terminal blandness and when they returned in the season 10 finale, they still barely left a mark.

I just don’t want to see Robbie Amell’s gormless face on this show anymore. If Chris Carter wants a spinoff that badly, he should make another swing. These two characters are not going to be his ticket.

[TV Line]

X-Tra X-Files

Mulder Got High as Balls on Last Night's X-Files

The Next X-Files Comic Is Tackling JFK's Assassination

The '90s X-Files Tie-In Novels Scarred Me Forever
Katharine Trendacostakatharine.trendacosta@gizmodo.com@k_trendacosta
Katharine is an editor for io9 and Gizmodo

View full discussion
Tweet

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/x-files-season-11-trailer-video

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Bay_(Vancouver)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-maze-ing_Laughter

http://www.vancourier.com/news/meet-the-artist-behind-the-a-maze-ing-laughter-figures-1.21096941

https://ourcityourart.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/reflections-on-a-maze-ing-laughter-by-yue-minjun-2/

A-maze-ing Laughter is a 2009 bronze sculpture by Yue Minjun, located in Morton Park in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.[1][2]

A-maze-ing Laughter was designed by Yue Minjun and installed in Morton Park (Davie and Denman) along the English Bay in West End, Vancouver in 2009. The patinated bronze sculpture, composed of 14 statues each about three metres tall and weighing over 250 kilograms,[3] portrays the artist's own image "in a state of hysterical laughter".[1] It was created as part of the Vancouver International Sculpture Biennale, which exhibits international contemporary works in public spaces. The sculpture was donated to the City of Vancouver by Chip and Shannon Wilson through the Wilson5 Foundation on August 11, 2012.[1]

As part of the installation, an inscription carved into cement seating states "May this sculpture inspire laughter playfulness and joy in all who experience it."[4]

x-files-season-11-vancouver-David-Duchovny-fox-mulder.jpg

minjun-arrived-in-vancouver-for-the-first-time-this-week.jpg

A-MAZE-ING-Laughter-by-Yue-Minjun-in-English-Bay-Large.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The X-Files Season 11 Wraps Production[/paste:font]

The-X-Files-Season-11-Cast.jpg

The X-Files season 11 is one step closer, as it’s confirmed that production has wrapped. After the show’s return with season 10, The X-Files was renewed for a further season, with filming starting back in August. Now, Mulder and Scully are going to return to the screen for the season premiere in January, once again looking for answers to questions from dark places.

Of course, the investigative duo aren’t the only people set to come back in season 11, with Mitch Pileggi(aka FBI chief Walter Skinner) due to reappear alongside Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose, who will return as Special Agents Miller and Einstein. There are also going to be plenty of new faces

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The X-Files season 11 is one step closer, as it’s confirmed that production has wrapped. After the show’s return with season 10, The X-Files was renewed for a further season, with filming starting back in August. Now, Mulder and Scully are going to return to the screen for the season premiere in January, once again looking for answers to questions from dark places.

Of course, the investigative duo aren’t the only people set to come back in season 11, with Mitch Pileggi (aka FBI chief Walter Skinner) due to reappear alongside Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose, who will return as Special Agents Miller and Einstein. There are also going to be plenty of new faces, too, with Haley Joel Osment confirmed to appear in a mystery role and Barbara Hershey given a recurring role as a character called Erika Price.

RELATED: 2017-2018 WINTER TV PREMIERE DATES: NEW & RETURNING SHOWS TO WATCH

Rather than one of those names, however, it was Gillian Anderson who broke the news that The X-Files season 11 production had wrapped. Anderson, whose character could now be considered a left field Disney princess after the Fox acquisition, took to Twitter to confirm that season 11 has wrapped, taking the time to thank co-star David Duchovny and reflect on the 25 years spent as the character of Dana Scully.

View image on Twitter
DRsCBkNVwAAJDhM.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/GillianA/status/944350779292385281
Gillian Anderson

✔@GillianA

25 years of night shoots, 25 years of frozen lips, 25 years of friendship.
Happy wrap @davidduchovny.
Thanks for taking this ride with me and I’ll see you in January! #TheXFiles

6:35 PM - Dec 22, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

This wrap may have more poignancy for Anderson than previous seasons. After all, she has suggested that season 11 may be her last as Scully, although she has not closed the door entirely on the character. If it is to be her final season on The X-Files, then the wrap would perhaps have held a little more clout this time around.

For now, though, all eyes are on what The X-Files season 11 is set to deliver. Although the season 10 revival was a huge smash from a ratings perspective, the reception from fans was a little more subdued, with a fairly positive response that pointed out some of the flaws in the season. According to creator Chris Carter, season 11 will address some of these criticisms, with the rustiness after so many years away from the screen shaken off.

In particular, fans have been waiting to see how the season 10 cliffhanger will be resolved, with Mulder left in bad shape after a deadly pandemic begins spreading quickly. With season 11 apparently due to offer a dramatic conclusion, it likely won’t be long before viewers have the answers they have been looking for – although knowing The X-Files, more questions are bound to crop up along the way.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
X-Files: Gillian Anderson Confirms Season 11 Will Be Her Last

• The-X-Files-season-10-Mulder-and-Scully.jpg

Dana Scully is calling it quits after The X-Files season 11, as Gillian Anderson reiterates her plans to leave the series behind. The new season of FOX’s hit series is set to premiere next week, promising fans 10 more episodes of Fox Mulder and his partner tracking down everything from alien conspiracies to ghosts to secret governments running the world. But no matter how the new season ends, it looks as though any possible continuation of the show will have to do without Anderson, who, for the second time this year, says she’s turning in her badge.

The news that Anderson was done with The X-Files first hit earlier this year, when she said as much during an interview at New York Comic Con. The announcement caused a stir, especially with the network, which did its best to tamp down Anderson’s comments. That move was understandable, as the new season was still months away, and although creator Chris Carter had mentioned the show could go on for quite some time, season 12 was by no means a sure thing. With the show’s future up in the air, FOX probably wasn’t interested in marketing season 11 as Anderson’s final turn in the role, so keeping everything decidedly “undecided” was likely the best way to approach things.

RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: GILLIAN ANDERSON IS FINISHED AFTER X-FILES SEASON 11 [UPDATED]

But it seems as though Anderson has in fact made up her mind, and it hasn’t changed since NYCC. In a recent interview with TV Insider, Anderson reiterates her plans to leave the series behind, and even reflects on her surprise at the reaction to her comments from earlier in the year. Anderson said:

“I’ve said from the beginning this is it for me. I was a bit surprised by people’s [shocked] reaction to my announcement…because my understanding was that this was a single season.”

Of course, Anderson’s understanding of the intention behind the revival could allow for some wiggle room regarding her decision should season 12 come to fruition and FOX make her a deal she simply can’t refuse. That certainly is a possibility, as in the same interview, Carter was quoted as saying, “There are a lot more X-Files stories to tell. Whether we get to tell them is a question mark. The truth is out there.”

For now, it seems as though Dana Scully’s days chasing after the truth that’s out there are numbered. Anderson’s decision is certainly understandable; after playing the same character on and off for nearly 25 years, there comes a time to when an actor needs to move on to other projects and to create new characters. Still, like so many other television series as of late, The X-Files has already made an improbably return, so even though it sounds like the end, a good rule of thumb is to never say never.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
he X-Files creator responds to Gillian Anderson’s threat to quit

Robert Falconer/FOX
JAMES HIBBERD
January 03, 2018 AT 03:32 PM EST
The X-Files creator Chris Carter is responding to star Gillian Anderson’s saying she’s done with the veteran sci-fi series.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/03/x-files-chris-carter-gillian-anderson/

Anderson has previously stated she plans to quit playing Dana Scully after X-Filesseason 11, which has its season premiere Wednesday night on Fox.

Addressing fans during a Reddit AMA, Carter said, “For me, the show has always been Mulder and Scully. So the idea of doing the show without her isn’t something I’ve ever had to consider.”

Carter also teased that the season finale might address Anderson’s uncertain future participation with the show after a fan asked if her character was given “a proper goodbye.” He noted, “I think you will want to sit down and watch the [season] finale very carefully.”

Fans gave Carter some grief about Scully never having a desk in the original series, while her partner Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) had one. “I resent the calling of it misogyny, unintentional or not,” he replied. “… If Gillian comes back, Scully will get a desk.”

Previously Carter teased to EW that the season finale could be a shocker. “Things are often sacrificed in the finale. That’s the interesting thing for me. There’s a vertical corner in the final that I think will get people’s attention…”

So it sounds like — one way or another — the finale takes into consideration that Anderson might not be back … while also making it possible for her to return.

Overall, Carter told fans to expect some big mythology shakeups this year. “The complexity of detail blurs over time and while we took great pains to make it all logical and in our minds believable in an X-Files sense, you are probably going to be able to nitpick,” he says. “The season 11 mythology is a continuation of the original mythology, but with a big 90-degree turn.”

While Anderson might indeed never reprise her iconic character after the new batch of 10 episodes, you can never say never with this series. The X-Files has famously had many starts and stops and incarnations over its 25 years on and off the air, and always seems to manage to find another life — the last batch of new episodes two years ago was also one of the season’s highest-rated dramas.

UPDATE: After you’ve watched the premiere, read our interview with Carter explaining that very shocking revelation that was 18 years in the making.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The X-Files Cast Also Thinks That This Season Is Way Better

11-xfiles.w190.h190.jpg

With the departure of Gillian Anderson from The X-Files, the filing cabinet may finally be locked for good on Fox’s iconic paranormal investigation series. But Anderson and co-star David Duchovny say that fans should still celebrate because the 10 new episodes are even more X-File-y than last year’s revival season.

“That short stack of episodes kind of felt like we were learning how to walk again, and this season of ten feels like the pace is up and we are running,” Anderson said Wednesday at a press conference during the Television Critics Association, noting that while last year’s revival didn’t provide the proper moment of closure, the current season feels like the right time to say good-bye to Dana Scully.

Duchovny agreed that the new season felt truer to the spirit of the original series, which ran for nine seasons on Fox from 1993 to 2002, spawned two feature films, and returned to broadcast television last year. “The show is really different in the hands of these different [writers and directors],” he said. “If you only have six, then it’s a little schizophrenic. If you have 10, then you can find a groove between all these different guys.”

Series creator Chris Carter was unable to make the panel — his home was one of many threatened by the devastating mudslides in California’s Montecito area — but longtime writer/producer Glen Morgan indicated that season 11 will definitely answer a few of the lingering questions about its Byzantine mythology. But not all of them, he added, “Because that’s the way this show is.”

Playing a key role is one especially enigmatic piece of the puzzle: Scully’s son William, who was given up for adoption in the show’s original run. Duchovny said that introducing William, now a teenager, offered a unique challenge: “In a show like this, which doesn’t often deal with family dynamics or soap opera elements, it’s certainly a very interesting character to just show up as an adult, almost.”

Duchovny hinted that new episodes will get as experimental as some of the original run’s most memorable standalone offerings. He specifically mentioned the seventh episode, which was directed by Glen Morgan. “It probably has 15 or 20 lines of dialogue in the whole episode,” Duchovny said, later adding, “It’s really one of our more special episodes that we’ve done in a long time.”

The panel also revealed that the sixth episode will offer a highly anticipated look into the backstory of Mulder and Scully’s longtime ally Walter Skinner, played by Mitch Pileggi. “There really is a lot that is revealed, and I was very gratified that we were able to do this,” said Pileggi. “You actually see a scene play out that Skinner had referenced in an earlier season — I think when Mulder was trying to resign, and [Skinner] was refusing his resignation, and he related one of his experiences in Vietnam. It was horrific to him. It affected him terribly. But you actually get to see that played out, which is really cool for me.”

Having completed her work on the series — the final two episodes are still in various stages of production in Vancouver — Anderson was asked if she felt satisfied with her final appearance as Scully.

“That is a good question,” she said after careful consideration. “I’m not quite sure how to answer that question.” But she reaffirmed her commitment to closing the door on The X-Files. “This is it for me. I’m really serious. I have so much respect for these guys, and I have respect for Scully, and I have respect for David, and it’s really sad. But I’m finished, and that’s the end of that.”

Duchovny was less definitive about the future of the franchise, or his place in it. “I’ve tried to say good-bye to Fox Mulder many times, and I failed,” he said. “I’m good either way. I’m good with this being the end. I’m good with it not being the end.”

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/the-x-files-season-11-tca-panel.html