World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Nation of Islam restaurant (1974)
53981815052_7740b2cc8f_b.jpg

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Native American Basketball Team ...before the Nazi Party rose in Germany. Also, before the Swastika became a symbol of hate.

caption:

Basketball team on Home 1 Steps, 1909
Description
  • Scope and content: This photograph is part of a series of glass plate negatives used by the Chilocco Indian School print shop in publishing the Indian School Journal.

53982841386_6a8e989666_b.jpg

Last edited:

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
On this date in 1941, Otis Redding was born. He was an African American singer and entertainer. He was born in Dawson, GA. He began playing drums in school and was paid six dollars a hour on Sundays to accompany gospel groups appearing on local radio station WIBB. He stayed in school until the tenth grade, quitting to help support his family. Redding began his recording career in the early 1960s as a Little Richard-styled shouter. He was working in the band of guitarist Johnny Jenkins at the time, and in 1962, he recorded the ballad These Arms of Mine. When it became an R&B hit, Redding's solo career was on its way, though the hits didn't really start to take hold for about three years, when Mr. Pitiful, I've Been Loving You Too Long, I Can't Turn You Loose, and Respect (later turned into a huge pop smash by Aretha Franklin) were all big sellers. Redding wrote much of his own material, sometimes with guitarist Steve Cropper. Yet at the time, his success was primarily confined to the soul market; his singles charted only mildly on the pop listings. He was nonetheless tremendously respected by many White groups, particularly the Rolling Stones, who covered Redding's "That's How Strong My Love Is" and "Pain in My Heart." One of Redding's biggest hits was a duet with fellow Stax star Carla Thomas, "Tramp," in 1967, the same year he performed to great acclamation at the Monterey Pop Festival. Redding's biggest triumph, however, came just days before his death, when he recorded ("Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay," a significant rise in the examination of intense personal emotions. One of the most influential soul singers of the 1960s, Redding embodied to many listeners the power of Southern "Deep Soul," an emotional voice with both party songs and emotionally aching ballads. Redding died young, at the age of 26, in a plane crash in Wisconsin on December 10, 1967.

Casca

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
459099379_922049193283861_7176019326769749088_n.jpg

Rare Photo of seven-foot-tall 17-year-old Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor Jr.,(later known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) in 1965. He was known as Lew Alcindor when he played at Power Memorial high school in New York City, where he led their team to 71 consecutive wins.
College recruiters pursued the center with intensity. Although he was an epic talent, Alcindor eschewed the spotlight. He referred each scout to his coach.
"I want two things from college," Alcindor said. "I want to be treated like Lew Alcindor. I want an education."
Eventually he settled on UCLA. He played college basketball for the UCLA Bruins, winning three consecutive national championships under head coach John Wooden. Alcindor was a record three-time most outstanding player of the NCAA tournament.
Drafted with the first overall pick by the one-season-old Milwaukee Bucks franchise in the 1969 NBA draft, he spent six seasons with the team. After leading the Bucks to their first NBA championship at age 24 in 1971, he changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Using his trademark skyhook shot, he established himself as one of the league's top scorers.
In 1975, he was traded to the Lakers, with whom he played the final 14 seasons of his career, during which time the team won five additional NBA championships. Abdul-Jabbar's contributions were a key component in the Showtime era of Lakers basketball. Over his 20-year NBA career, his teams succeeded in making the playoffs 18 times and got past the first round 14 times; his teams reached the NBA Finals on ten occasions.
At the time of his retirement at age 42 in 1989, Abdul-Jabbar was the NBA's regular season career leader in points (38,387), games played (1,560), minutes (57,446), field goals made (15,837), field goal attempts (28,307), blocked shots (3,189), defensive rebounds (9,394), and personal fouls (4,657). He remains the all-time leader in minutes played and field goals made. He ranks second in career points and field goal attempts, and is third all-time in both total rebounds (17,440) and blocked shots.
Abdul-Jabbar has also been an actor, a basketball coach, a best-selling author, and a martial artist, having trained in Jeet Kune Do under Bruce Lee and appeared in his film Game of Death (1972).
ESPN named him the greatest center of all time in 2007, the greatest player in college basketball history in 2008, and the second best player in NBA history (behind Michael Jordan) in 2016.
In 2012, Abdul-Jabbar was selected by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to be a U.S. global cultural ambassador. In 2016, President Barack Obama awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Casca

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Frank_Hart_pedestrian.jpg

Frank Hart (1856 – 1908) was an American athlete famous as the first African-American world record holder in the 19th century sport of pedestrianism.[1][2] His most noted win was in an 1879 6 Day Race at Madison Square Garden where he covered 565 miles and won $21,567 in prize money (equivalent to $705,241 in 2023).[3] Later in life Hart played briefly on segregated baseball teams. Though his legacy faded with the loss of interest in pedestrianism as a spectator sport, Hart remains one of the first nationally famous Black athletes in America.