Rebel Ridge on Netflix September 6.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I actively avoided the trailer - as I try desperately to do with almost all movies. Had no idea what it was. All I wanted/was here for was to see what it was actually about.

Correct me if I’m wrong but “geographically lol” this film is set far from the South is it not? Isn’t it set in PNW?

Geography based shorthand for “crackers” aside lol - This makes perfect sense and Dig it. If I wanted a black Reacher I’d have been disappointed. But I didn’t. As I said, I had no preconceptions on this one. And in general, personally a black Reacher wouldn’t appeal to me. (Full disclosure, I DEF thought it might be goin there at points). Like I ref before - Denzel (and others) has done a bunch of avenging ex military types roles in last two decades. Genre expectations are mad important to me. But regardless of what I get, I always hope movies and shows are goin to give me something new or unexpected and this one - like GREEN ROOM from same writer/director etc in its own ways - did that for me.

Strange Darling and Blink Twice also each had a similar dynamic going with some variation and at times straight unexpectedly effective if still familiar moments.
I’m not 100% sure with just one watch, but I think of the three - REBEL effectively got the most things on screen I’ve actually never seen before. I enjoyed all 3 and don’t know if I can say that I enjoyed one over the others, but I might give it to Strange Darling… just by an ear though.

They never say the actual location but filming primarily in Louisiana with those faces and voices it's safe to assume "south" is what they were going for.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Rebel Ridge

5.5/10

I watched this one this afternoon. I originally had no interest in it from watching the trailer. It seemed predictable. Since it’s been getting raves by critics/viewers, I decided to watch it.

The first hour plays out pretty predictable. The premise has been done a zillion times in Hollywood since the 1930s. It was used extensively during the Blaxploitation era also.

After the first hour, the film goes into a completely different direction with the main plot. The films pace somewhat drops. A couple times I had to rewind cuz I was spacing out while watching it.

Suspense thru-out is pretty predictable with no big surprises.

It falls in the category of “Watch It Once, No Interest In Watching It Again”.

Synopsis

A former Marine confronts corruption in a small town when local law enforcement unjustly seizes the bag of cash he needs to post his cousin's bail.

MV5BYTE4ZDE5ZTktZWZkMC00MGY4LWFkZDUtZTc5YWU3NzM2YmM3XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's why I liked this though.....it could've easily been the "black" Bourne or Wick or Rambo. It created its own lane.
That's what I liked about it, like you said it could have easily been Wick or Rambo but it chose to be different instead of the same ol Military special Ops guy who just kills. That might be why it's #1 one movie on Netflix right now.