Rising Star
BGOL Investor
annasophia-robb-in-rebel-ridge-v0-xe8ikaa3bhnd1.jpg

dr-death-big-ass-and-visible-panty-line-v0-9uqp2t2p747d1.png

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You off your meds you goofy nigga?!!

3K bike or not, you carrying 36K to urgently get your cousin out of jail, maybe drive a fuckin' car!!

Then your goofy ass brings up Top Gun?!!! Double up on whatever meds you missed cause that is just dumb!
You idiot.
I already explained my point about the money.
Top Gun Maverick was a shit movie that made 1Billion and yall niggas was sucking on for months.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You idiot.
I already explained my point about the money.
Top Gun Maverick was a shit movie that made 1Billion and yall niggas was sucking on for months.
You ol' goofy Yucko the Clown sum bitch!!

Fuck you and your clowny opinion!

orange roughy

Rising Star
Platinum Member
watched it last night. Well directed and interesting story for the first half.... up to when they let the brother go. But the second half kinda petered out ans slowed down. Still, overall good. Didn't know the star was the one who was in the show "Krypton".

Stix-N-Stonz

Dirty Civilian
Platinum Member
I wanted to like this, really I did. But about halfway in I was fast forwarding for some action. Shit was so boring I didn't bother finishing it.

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
You off your meds you goofy nigga?!!

3K bike or not, you carrying 36K to urgently get your cousin out of jail, maybe drive a fuckin' car!!

Then your goofy ass brings up Top Gun?!!! Double up on whatever meds you missed cause that is just dumb!
He didn't have a car. He had the money to buy a truck, which he eventually did.

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
I’ll tell you one thing

A MCMAP instructor is a black belt, most get security clearance because they have to train high ranked officials

Once you get that clearance a lot is not put on your dd214, you’ll get the basics like his was, just camp Lejeune

Hell my time at old gitmo before army took over ain’t in my dd214, only va and dod get access to that file

Our instructor was cold af, we went at it during training and he said he was only going 50%, it’s a training I wish I had more of

Black Sexxxploitation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We saying the same thing.

I get exactly what they were trying to do. But they missed the mark

I don't think the target audience at least on here wanted or needed all that "realism".

Reacher is basically a superhero and no one gives a damn. Bourne, Wick, Rambo and even the equalizer either.

I really wouldn't have minded a new 2024 black version

it's not like THIS movie was hyper realistic either.

All that being said I still enjoyed it.
You're likely never going to see a version of this kind of story that plays out in a truly realistic fashion. It's a stock plot that both westerns and modern action flicks have been using for ages. In real life, one marine could never single-handedly take on a relatively well-armed small town police force and win. We already know that going in.

Still, I feel that writer/director Jeremy Saulnier's relatively more "grounded" approach to the material did actually help with suspension of disbelief in certain instances. I also think that it made for a somewhat more thoughtful and patient version of a very familiar story. The hero is obviously both physically intimidating and formidable. Yet he is infinitely calculated, measured and strategic throughout the film. He carefully considers every single move he makes, yet still moves with expedience. He never causes more human damage than is absolutely necessary to accomplish his goal. Dude is a walking NLW. When the end credits rolled, I was left wondering how much damage he really could have caused if he took the kid gloves off and went all-out. That made me want to see more of the guy.

None of the above is to say that I didn't have any issues with the film. I think it runs about 25 minutes too long. I also think that the plot becomes unwieldy in the third act, with one too many character turns and coincidences for my taste. Still, I really enjoyed it. While I also get annoyed with misleading trailers, I like to judge films on their own merits. If I wanted to see First Blood again, I can always pull out my Blu-ray copy. I also don't need every modern action flick to be yet another John Wick clone. We have more than enough of those.

Not beefing with you BTW, just offering my thoughts.

**BTW People who complain about the lack of sufficient action and/or the hero being "too nice" seem to forget that 'First Blood' has a notoriously low body count. Only one person died at John Rambo's hands and it wasn't even direct. It was also self-defense. The source novel had an infinitely higher body count.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You're likely never going to see a version of this kind of story that plays out in a truly realistic fashion. It's a stock plot that both westerns and modern action flicks have been using for ages. In real life, one marine could never single-handedly take on a relatively well-armed small town police force and win. We already know that going in.

Still, I feel that writer/director Jeremy Saulnier's relatively more "grounded" approach to the material did actually help with suspension of disbelief in certain instances. I also think that it made for a somewhat more thoughtful and patient version of a very familiar story. The hero is obviously both physically intimidating and formidable. Yet he is infinitely calculated, measured and strategic throughout the film. He carefully considers every single move he makes, yet still moves with expedience. He never causes more human damage than is absolutely necessary to accomplish his goal. Dude is a walking NLW. When the end credits rolled, I was left wondering how much damage he really could have caused if he took the kid gloves off and went all-out. That made me want to see more of the guy.

None of the above is to say that I didn't have any issues with the film. I think it runs about 25 minutes too long. I also think that the plot becomes unwieldy in the third act, with one too many character turns and coincidences for my taste. Still, I really enjoyed it. While I also get annoyed with misleading trailers, I like to judge films on their own merits. If I wanted to see First Blood again, I can always pull out my Blu-ray copy. I also don't need every modern action flick to be yet another John Wick clone. We have more than enough of those.

Not beefing with you BTW, just offering my thoughts.

**BTW People who complain about the lack of sufficient action and/or the hero being "too nice" seem to forget that 'First Blood' has a notoriously low body count. Only one person died at John Rambo's hands and it wasn't even direct. It was also self-defense. The source novel had an infinitely higher body count.

I know but that's what made it great the tone color editing and pace made it SEEM much worse. I personally didn't need killing... I just wanted more visceral and a tighter run time and editing.

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It’s a LOT goin on in these 5 pages and counting

Let me ask some questions (food for thought like)

How important is race in the story?
If it is important, does it remain equally important throughout?

Why is Terry black?
Why has Terry had not only no combat experience but never been in a fight before?

What kind of music does Terry listen to? And what is that choice by the filmmaker signifying for a black character? Would it (same choice of music) signify the same for a white or nonblack character?

Did any - ANY - expectations for a scene, a situation, a character, a group of characters, etc, that you had in terms of how you assumed something would play out get subverted by an unexpected turn?

Is this a movie intending to speak to any “issues”? (Including by way of its plot - directly; but also indirectly and beyond it?)

Do you feel there is any particular target audience in mind? eg Yes; mostly black audiences? Yes; mostly white audiences? Yes; but not along “racial” lines so much as “liberal” leaning audiences? Or conservative leaning audiences?

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I hear you

The trailer lied about the action level
I actively avoided the trailer - as I try desperately to do with almost all movies. Had no idea what it was. All I wanted/was here for was to see what it was actually about.
I think they were trying to make it more realistic

But ain't nobody was here for all that.

We finally wanted a Black Reacher cutting down racist cops down south.

Correct me if I’m wrong but “geographically lol” this film is set far from the South is it not? Isn’t it set in PNW?

Geography based shorthand for “crackers” aside lol - This makes perfect sense and Dig it. If I wanted a black Reacher I’d have been disappointed. But I didn’t. As I said, I had no preconceptions on this one. And in general, personally a black Reacher wouldn’t appeal to me. (Full disclosure, I DEF thought it might be goin there at points). Like I ref before - Denzel (and others) has done a bunch of avenging ex military types roles in last two decades. Genre expectations are mad important to me. But regardless of what I get, I always hope movies and shows are goin to give me something new or unexpected and this one - like GREEN ROOM from same writer/director etc in its own ways - did that for me.

Strange Darling and Blink Twice also each had a similar dynamic going with some variation and at times straight unexpectedly effective if still familiar moments.
I’m not 100% sure with just one watch, but I think of the three - REBEL effectively got the most things on screen I’ve actually never seen before. I enjoyed all 3 and don’t know if I can say that I enjoyed one over the others, but I might give it to Strange Darling… just by an ear though.

crazyace718

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Did you watch the movie?
That was a 3k bike. However it makes sense that he would have money if he only rides a bike and lives below his means.
SMH.

You didn't criticize how dumb Top Gun Maverick was though.
He was riding a bike because he had to sell his truck to come up with the money in cash. I don't think a lot of yall watched the movie.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I actively avoided the trailer - as I try desperately to do with almost all movies. Had no idea what it was. All I wanted/was here for was to see what it was actually about.

Correct me if I’m wrong but “geographically lol” this film is set far from the South is it not? Isn’t it set in PNW?

Geography based shorthand for “crackers” aside lol - This makes perfect sense and Dig it. If I wanted a black Reacher I’d have been disappointed. But I didn’t. As I said, I had no preconceptions on this one. And in general, personally a black Reacher wouldn’t appeal to me. (Full disclosure, I DEF thought it might be goin there at points). Like I ref before - Denzel (and others) has done a bunch of avenging ex military types roles in last two decades. Genre expectations are mad important to me. But regardless of what I get, I always hope movies and shows are goin to give me something new or unexpected and this one - like GREEN ROOM from same writer/director etc in its own ways - did that for me.

Strange Darling and Blink Twice also each had a similar dynamic going with some variation and at times straight unexpectedly effective if still familiar moments.
I’m not 100% sure with just one watch, but I think of the three - REBEL effectively got the most things on screen I’ve actually never seen before. I enjoyed all 3 and don’t know if I can say that I enjoyed one over the others, but I might give it to Strange Darling… just by an ear though.

I get you. the trailer played automatically while I was scrolling so that was hard to do. But word of mouth on this one was strong. Watch the trailer and you will see why many felt it was a little off which to be fair means the trailer did it's job.